All Posts (Elbow_Jobertski)


(1) 2 3 4 ... 34 »


 
Re: Obamacare goes to the Supreme Court
Party Machine
Joined:
9/2/2007 12:20 am
From Chucktown
Posts: 670
Quote:

EERY wrote:
The Affordable Hatchet act in action. The insurers and medical monopolies get rich, and middle America slips deep into poverty. Don't you love when the doctor writes you a prescription for what you need, then when you get to the pharmacy, they tell you that your insurance rejected it. Then you have to go back to the doctor and have him check with the insurance to see what he is allowed to prescribe. Thank you Obama for your wonderful hatchet job of change! We shall ever be affected by your douchbaggery.


Yeah, that never happened before the ACA...

People have really short memories.

Health insurance was on an absurd upward trajectory in price and a downward trajectory in quality before the ACA. The ACA at least eliminated some of the more dishonest insurance company tactics and provided some cost breaks for people with modest incomes.

It is hard to blame Obama or the ACA itself for it's failure when the GOP is actively trying to make it fail. Threatening to not make payments required under the law, not advertising the enrollment periods, and not enforcing the mandate are three examples off the top of my head.

It is like claiming a car sucks because it won't run after you put sugar in the gas tank and drained the oil... and then blame the person who picked the car because you have no plan of another way to get to work and have to walk.


Posted on: 1/4 10:36 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Night 4 of Anti-government Protests in Iran
Party Machine
Joined:
9/2/2007 12:20 am
From Chucktown
Posts: 670
Quote:

sg44gold wrote:
In 600 BC Persians in what is now Iran were NOT Muslim.

The Muslim conquest only came about in 600 AD. Confusingly they call it the "arab" conquest. But it was in fact a "Muslim" conquest of the Persians. And their lives have never been the same.

So ... the Muslim rule over Persians and Iran is a relatively NEW historical occurrence.


The first wave of Islam wasn't really that grim. The Middle east as whole underwent a sort of renaissance at that time. The Mongols came along in the 1200s and put a pretty solid end to that. At some point, oil gave the area some economic relevance again.

Iran itself was on the path to being a somewhat modern secular state. The US then helped install the Shah, and the Shah's human rights abuses gave rise to the 1979 revolution that made Iran what it is today.

Muslim based rule in Iran is younger than I am. IMO, Islam is a mere pretense for Iranian despotism in that their jargon and their government organization looks like what would happen if you took the USSR and used the copy/paste function to change "maxist-lenninist" to "islamic."





Posted on: 1/3 9:02 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Carter summits name for NBA Draft
Party Machine
Joined:
9/2/2007 12:20 am
From Chucktown
Posts: 670
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:
Quote:

Eers88 wrote:
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:
Even though I agree with most everything you say, how do you know a d-league could support itself?
75k per player, support staff, coaches, venues, etc. cost.
How about a business plan to backup this statement? Easy to sit in front of a computer and type, isn't it?


He isn't saying the D League would need to be self sustaining. He is saying that the NBA should invest in a D League with higher salaries. I don't think the issue is one of whether the money to sustain it is there. The issue is whether the NBA sees a return on investment to make it worthwhile. The proposed system is similar to European football (soccer) clubs who field a team in the highest leagues, a reserve team in a lower league, and a youth squad in a youth league. These clubs invest huge sums of money in player development, and the players all train together so the youngest players get an understanding of the discipline necessary to make it at a major club. Their system for transferring players, however, involves selling the rights to the player for money, rather than a trade. When a transfer occurs, there are two negotiations: one between clubs for the transfer of rights; and, one between the new club and the player for salary, etc. Clubs can make tens or hundreds of millions of dollars by selling a player, so player development can actually be a revenue stream. The NBA is more limited, however, because they trade for players or draft picks. They would really be investing in a system to develop players for their own NBA rosters, and it doesn't seem like they are hurting for bodies.

Well hell, why in the world didn't he just type that.

Bump - didn't see a confirmation yet.


Conformation for what?

He's close, but not really what I was talking about.

The NBA is very much hurting for bodies capable of playing at an NBA level, and the current salary/development structure is extremely inefficient as to this. Having a d-league team and unlimited two way contracts under a single cap irons out a bunch of inefficiencies and would in the long run save way more money than it would cost.

It isn't a matter of just beefing up the d-league. There would also have to be significant changes to the CBA that cause these inefficiencies.

Right now, the rookie scale, max salary limit, salary floor, and restricted roster size combine to inflate the living hell out of the salaries of mid-tier veteran players. An NBA team is way better off in the long run in every way if can sign 10 or so prospects to decent small deals and develop them in-house in hopes of finding value than being forced to use that money to wildly overpay the likes of Jeremy Lin.

Posted on: 5/18/2017 11:46 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Carter summits name for NBA Draft
Party Machine
Joined:
9/2/2007 12:20 am
From Chucktown
Posts: 670
Quote:

FL77Mounty wrote:
If they're not interested in education they probably CAN'T learn Turkish, either....


Enough to get by as a pro basketball player.

Phrases like:

"I'd like a hamburger."

"Can you take me to the basketball arena"

"We don't need a condom, I've had a vasectomy"

etc.




Posted on: 5/11/2017 12:10 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Carter summits name for NBA Draft
Party Machine
Joined:
9/2/2007 12:20 am
From Chucktown
Posts: 670
Quote:

SicPuppy wrote:
You're not going to lure kids away from KY and NC with $75k/yr.


75K is a minimum. Without the age rule the choice is more like $3M + endorsement deals vs. college for the very best players.

The 75K vs. college is more an issue for the marginal players. It presents a financially reasonable choice for those not interested in education but unwilling to learn Turkish.

Posted on: 5/4/2017 10:14 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Carter summits name for NBA Draft
Party Machine
Joined:
9/2/2007 12:20 am
From Chucktown
Posts: 670
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:
Even though I agree with most everything you say, how do you know a d-league could support itself?
75k per player, support staff, coaches, venues, etc. cost.
How about a business plan to backup this statement? Easy to sit in front of a computer and type, isn't it?


It isn't a question of a d-league supporting itself. It would be part of the NBA system.

The NBA might have a little bit of money, and they are moving slowly in this direction because it makes financial sense and can be an advantage on the court to control player development, which can create a ton of value.

Assuming no revenue at all, operating a d-league team costs about the same as a borderline rotation player. Based on what I can find about d-league finances, it is roughly two million. Changing the salary would cost maybe a half-million on top of that, possibly far less because the two-way nature would flatten the salary structure as the NBA team would be able to sign marginal players to contracts that better reflect future value.

What the NBA loses on speculative contracts could fund a whole pile of d-leagues.

Posted on: 5/4/2017 9:45 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: 8 team playoff system
Party Machine
Joined:
9/2/2007 12:20 am
From Chucktown
Posts: 670
I thought the best system was back when the national championship was more or less mythical unless the bowl system happened to put the two clearly best teams in a game. Sure, some silly people had a vote and declared a national champion, or maybe two or three, and schools would claim victory and the world continued to spin on its axis while we all spent the off-season and maybe a few decades arguing about it. Which was fun.

Just as some of the greatest stories (books, movies, tv series, etc) end without a clear resolution, speculating about what would happen if Clemson were to play Alabama or Washington or whoever can be far more satisfying and stimulating than actually making it happen.

Not knowing makes the whole thing way, way more interesting. It upsets those who are threatened by the idea of ambiguity, which all in all is sort of a positive. Life is full of this sort of thing.

Posted on: 5/4/2017 8:46 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Carter summits name for NBA Draft
Party Machine
Joined:
9/2/2007 12:20 am
From Chucktown
Posts: 670
Quote:

TheMac wrote:


That's my issue with these NBA Draft evaluations, it makes the players go into business for themselves when they come back. They're not interested in team achievements, only what can improve their draft stock.


Which is reasonable, unfortunately. The NCAA is allowing itself to be used as a minor league, and this is what happens in a minor league. Or a poorly paid apprenticeship in any field for that matter.

The NBA could really use a viable development league. If all 30 teams had a full minor team that paid at all decently, a lot of borderline aspiring pros that need to develop NBA specific skills like being able to hit an NBA three could just move on already.

If you force every NBA team to also field a full d-league team w/ a 75K min salary where all salaries for both teams fall under a single cap, and increase the draft to four or five rounds, all this nonsense disappears. One and done players uninterested in an education go the d-league route. The NBA easily has the money to do this.

The NCAA losing some elite athletes isn't going to hurt it much. School support and the inherent dramatic excitement of the tournament is what drives the bus.

Posted on: 5/2/2017 8:41 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Carter summits name for NBA Draft
Party Machine
Joined:
9/2/2007 12:20 am
From Chucktown
Posts: 670
Quote:

83Grad wrote:
JC is a great college player. I don't think his offensive game translates to the NBA, even after next year. Doesn't have the length to be effective against the 6' 5" plus guards and small forwards, and he doesn't have the quickness needed to penetrate and create his own shot, or dish to the open man.

I will say he has the quickest hands I've ever seen. He is absolutely amazing on defense. He'll have great career overseas.

I actually think Miles is the better NBA prospect. His athleticism is off the charts.


I think JC could develop to wind up on an NBA 15 man roster at some point, but the deep bench is probably his ceiling.

It is a question of some skill development and whether he can develop in a basketball IQ sense, mostly the latter. If he can at least stay in front of an NBA point guard, and understand the complex rotation/switch schemes, he could be useful in a "eat up minutes in a mid-season back to back" type sense.

It may sound frivolous, but the one thing he needs to do is shave his melon. Right now, his hair makes him look like the old guy in the pickup game. NBA scouts are weird about youth, and there might be a subconscious bias against him because he looks kinda like a slightly younger Uncle Drew.

Posted on: 4/27/2017 7:56 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: 8 team playoff system
Party Machine
Joined:
9/2/2007 12:20 am
From Chucktown
Posts: 670

Eight teams could possibly happen, if you had the first round on campus and maybe allowed the losers to play in later bowls. Absent a total shift of how things work, sixteen will never happen.

Unless the NCAA starts paying players, expecting any more than a 15 game max season at the FBS level would probably hit a PR wall. One thing to do that at the lower levels, but expecting kids to go through a 15 game FBS beating is a bit much, especially the kids with possible NFL futures. That limitation sort of warps the financial benefits of a playoff.

If you go to a 16 team playoff you have to cut two weeks out of the regular season. That eliminates something like 130 games, or maybe 65 games and all the conference championships, in exchange for twelve first and second round games. Yes, there will be a ton more interest in those games, but the sheer numbers make the idea that this will increase revenue unclear. Especially once you add in that this will cause TV revenue for the bowls, if they continue to exist at all, to drop in a serious way.

Also, if those eight first round games are to be played in one weekend, there is a serious oversaturation issue, so those aren't as valuable as one might assume. Plus, something like #1 Alabama against #16 seeded Coastal Carolina qualifying out of the Sun Belt isn't going to pull much of a national TV rating, especially ten years down the road when the novelty wears off.

Posted on: 4/25/2017 12:03 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Buh-bye Bill O'Reilly
Party Machine
Joined:
9/2/2007 12:20 am
From Chucktown
Posts: 670
Quote:

83Grad wrote:
Three Bills. The two whities go on with seemingly little financial hardship resulting from their public disgrace. Black Bill Cosby has his career ruined and never worked again.

If I was a liberal I'd call this racism.


I'd probably just call it cherry picking. Plenty of white people have been torpedoed for sexual misconduct. Plenty of black people have skated by.

Plus, these cases are pretty different. O'Reilly and Clinton are mostly accused of being total creepy slimeballs, whereas Cosby is accused of drugging and raping a large number of women.

The accusations against O'Reilly and Clinton are more in the Clarence Thomas area than the kind of stuff Cosby is accused of.








Posted on: 4/25/2017 10:53 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch
Party Machine
Joined:
9/2/2007 12:20 am
From Chucktown
Posts: 670
Quote:

EERY wrote:
Quote:

Elbow_Jobertski wrote:
Quote:

EERY wrote:
There is nothing wrong with original internet within reasonable means. There has to be some form of original intent preserved, or what would be the point in having a constitution to begin with? I get the point that you are making, but your examples are taking things to the extreme.


Everything is absurd when taken to the extreme.

The devil is in the details. I have no trouble with those that try to determine what the intent was behind a constitutional provision. The main problem with what Gorsuch and his ilk do is that they aren't really doing this. It is used mostly as a smokescreen to push a conservative agenda by dressing up their political preferences as some sort of holy writ handed down by the lawgivers.

It is the legal version of when people dress up their opinions in terms of something being "real."

"Limit poker isn't real poker because you can't price out drawing hands" vs "I don't like limit poker because you can't price out drawing hands"

or

"Patent lawyers aren't real lawyers because they don't have to do jury trials"

or

"Speed chess isn't real chess because you don't have time to look deeply into a position"

or

"Wheeling isn't a real West Virginia city because it doesn't have a Tudor's Biscuit world"

and on and on... this is basically what is going on in a legal sense.


or

"The Constitution is no longer the Constitution because a number of judges decided to set new precedents according to their political whims.


Yes, that is another example of foolishness. People that decide that something that they don't agree with is a political whim and that they do agree with is the legitimate interpretation.

Constitutional decisions are always going to have political subtext. Some are more blatantly political than others, but those that make that determination based on whether they share the political leanings of the decision are guilty of the very conduct they find objectionable. They are viewing jurisprudence through the lens of their own political prejudice.


Posted on: 4/25/2017 10:36 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Dangerous Donald
Party Machine
Joined:
9/2/2007 12:20 am
From Chucktown
Posts: 670
Quote:

Eers88 wrote:
Quote:

WVisHome wrote:
"Pizzagate" may not be 100% true, but you're ignorant if you don't believe some form of child sex trafficking occurs in the highest levels of government.


Is this for real? Or are you f-ing around?


It is a vague claim. Conspiracy theorists leave themselves outs.

The way the game works is that the reasonable person responds to this along the lines of "lol conspiracyments" and then the conspiracy theorist points out that at some point in the last 15 years or so, a senator/ranking member of the ATV/someone in the White House or whoever once helped arrange sex with someone underage. Then the conspiracy theorist claims victory.




Posted on: 4/18/2017 7:20 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch
Party Machine
Joined:
9/2/2007 12:20 am
From Chucktown
Posts: 670
Quote:

92WVUGrad wrote:


Precedent seems like a way to skirt the constitution with asinine rulings (the 9th circus, yes circus, court of appeals is a great example of this).



Respect for precedent is what makes our system of government stable. Sure, there are unfortunate precedents, but no system is perfect, and precedents can be overturned when they are later determined to be bad.

Toss out the idea that precedents are to be strongly respected and justice truly becomes the whim of the judge. It is the lifeblood of the legal system, and without it people would not be able to predict with any reasonable certainty the legality of their conduct. So much of what we think of as the law is really just our being reasonably certain that courts will consistently interpret statutes/constitutional provisions.

For example, a police officer would not be certain whether he needs a warrant or whether a warrant exception applies, or for that matter whether there is an exception to a warrant requirement as it would totally depend on the present opinion of whatever judge gets the case.




Posted on: 4/13/2017 7:45 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch
Party Machine
Joined:
9/2/2007 12:20 am
From Chucktown
Posts: 670
Quote:

EERY wrote:
There is nothing wrong with original internet within reasonable means. There has to be some form of original intent preserved, or what would be the point in having a constitution to begin with? I get the point that you are making, but your examples are taking things to the extreme.


Everything is absurd when taken to the extreme.

The devil is in the details. I have no trouble with those that try to determine what the intent was behind a constitutional provision. The main problem with what Gorsuch and his ilk do is that they aren't really doing this. It is used mostly as a smokescreen to push a conservative agenda by dressing up their political preferences as some sort of holy writ handed down by the lawgivers.

It is the legal version of when people dress up their opinions in terms of something being "real."

"Limit poker isn't real poker because you can't price out drawing hands" vs "I don't like limit poker because you can't price out drawing hands"

or

"Patent lawyers aren't real lawyers because they don't have to do jury trials"

or

"Speed chess isn't real chess because you don't have time to look deeply into a position"

or

"Wheeling isn't a real West Virginia city because it doesn't have a Tudor's Biscuit world"

and on and on... this is basically what is going on in a legal sense.

Posted on: 4/13/2017 7:27 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: ...and so it begins...liberal dreams of bringing the man down...
Party Machine
Joined:
9/2/2007 12:20 am
From Chucktown
Posts: 670
Quote:

Sandstone56 wrote:
I keep up with the news and there is no mention that shows Trump was correct. The only calls from Russia were monitered, not because they were going to Trump tower, but bacause they were from Russia. I assume you are not a Russian lover and a Trump lover! OK, so you are a Russian lover and treason is fine with you.


It is a pretty good example of sliding goalposts. The original was that Obama was somehow ordering wiretaps of Trump Tower to spy on Trump during the late stages of the election. There is zero evidence of this, and it is on its face absurd for a whole bunch of practical reasons.

The goal has shifted. Finding that there was any sort of government surveillance with any connection whatsoever to Trump at any time during and since the election is somehow vindication against those that pointed out the original claim was total nonsense.

This is a guy with a vast number of international connections in various countries with a ton of people. Just as a statistical matter I'd be surprised if none of the people Trump and his organization deal with are the subject of government surveillance, especially seeing he does business in Russia and a few middle eastern countries... that there was surveillance at some point in all of this is both unsurprising and not in any way connected to Trump's original claim.


Posted on: 4/3/2017 12:20 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Repeal and Replace (ACA)
Party Machine
Joined:
9/2/2007 12:20 am
From Chucktown
Posts: 670
Quote:

EERY wrote:
Obamacare Choices Could Go From One to Zero in Some Areas

https://nytimes.com/2017/03/31/upshot/ ... one-to-zero-in-some-areas


The system needs tweaks. Nothing this complicated has ever worked perfectly right out of the box. The ACA as a concept is about as market based a system meant to cover everyone is going to get, and it is too bad the GOP has, for 100% political reasons, demonized it as a creation of the liberals that must be destroyed.

Some areas are not profitable for insurance companies. The solution would be to somehow create broader insurance pools or tweak the subsidy formulation. There are solutions, but when the party controlling congress wants the thing to fail... the thing is probably going to fail.




Posted on: 4/3/2017 11:13 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: ...and so it begins...liberal dreams of bringing the man down...
Party Machine
Joined:
9/2/2007 12:20 am
From Chucktown
Posts: 670
Quote:

eer_4da_beer wrote:
Fake news? Breaking news? Somewhere in between?

Link


Vague but unsurprising. Also besides the point. The foreign policy decisions of this administration have been almost universally consistent with Russian interests, so why we are sweating secret stuff is unclear.

And holy crap was that health bill thing a debacle. I don't think Obamacare is optimal, but if you want to give the illusion of giving a crap about the less well off but maintain a market based model, the ACA approach is about as right wing as you can get. Had the GOP not dedicated themselves to making it a failure to score political points, they would have better credibility in trying to adjust it going forward.






Posted on: 3/27/2017 10:27 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: Dangerous Donald
Party Machine
Joined:
9/2/2007 12:20 am
From Chucktown
Posts: 670
Quote:

delispam wrote:
You don't see a problem with Trump's 2005 taxes?

3% return rate before the recession? Awful! Can't fix economy. Not smart. Bad businessman!




I don't know how you would calculate his roi from what was leaked. The part of the return that leaked is the summary. It leaves out what we would call "the good parts." Seeing schedules c,d,e and other attachments would be interesting. It says very little about where the money came from.

This return mostly just shows that the AMT can be a rat bastard. He's paying 39M in taxes on about 49M of net income. The AMT effectively wiped out the 100M or so of business losses he carried forward.

It does seem odd that this is the return summary that leaked...

As I recall, it was hard to lose money in 2004. It was the middle of an insane speculative bubble. I think the only way to lose money in 2004 was to think you were good at poker because it looked easy on ESPN.

Then again, it was hard to lose money in the casino business in the early-mid 90s, and he managed that (prob where that 100M loss came from), so... improvement?

Posted on: 3/16/2017 9:36 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 


 
Re: What would it take to stop supporting Trump?
Party Machine
Joined:
9/2/2007 12:20 am
From Chucktown
Posts: 670
Quote:

EERY wrote:
Well then I'm glad the Trump administration has the foresight to give these institutions focused assistance.


Assuming that is what it is. It just moves the oversight of the assistance initiative from the Department of Education to the White House. No specific commitments as to increased support have been made, just general stuff about working together and so on. The lack of specifics is creating suspicion that this was merely a photo-op.

I'd applaud Trump for better supporting HBCUs, but I'll wait to see what is actually done before I do so. Just shuffling departments gives the illusion of action, but does nothing.




Posted on: 3/7/2017 12:27 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
 



 Top
(1) 2 3 4 ... 34 »




Login
Username:

Password:

remember me





Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved