We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: This year and next
Grant Ave. Warrior
From Dunedin FL
Quote:

thisisridic wrote:
Sucks for Nate and explains a lot, the kid is tough to fight through that and considering it being his Sr season I can't blame him. Amazing he was able to get a double-double in the Bucknell game.

It must have really been bothering him against Gonzaga, he looked awful shooting the ball. Sucks to say it but if an injury is having that kind of affect on his shot maybe it was time to put someone in who could have been a scoring threat in a game that the team desperately needed one.

Never doubted his hustle and effort, sucks his career had to end injured. He endeared himself to the fans for 4 years and will be remembered as a true Mountaineer.

People on this board were calling for his scholarship to be revoked his sophomore season, and critical of him last year.
I think the endearment part was pretty much just this year.

Posted on: 4/18 4:29 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Gettin' Schmitty
From Madison, AL
Quote:

Proud2BanEer wrote:
He sustained the injury while tangling arms with Texas forward Jarrett Allen during the Big 12 quarterfinals.

geesh I'll shut up.

Nah. Maybe if we bowed out on game 1 like Baylor and Kansas on the B12 chumpionship, he wouldn't have got hurt. The conference tourneys are just $$$$ grabbers. We beat gonezagger and.........

Ficticious conference championships are just money makers for no reason.

Posted on: 4/18 9:59 pm

Suspected Punter
Nah. Maybe if we bowed out on game 1 like Baylor and Kansas on the B12 chumpionship, he wouldn't have got hurt. The conference tourneys are just $$$$ grabbers. We beat gonezagger and.........

Ficticious conference championships are just money makers for no reason.

As opposed to the fictitious national championship you mean?????????

Posted on: 4/21 9:07 am

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
The ACC formed in 1954 and had a conference tournament that year. The NIT used to crown the national champion and it wasn't surpassed in prestige and populatity until the 1960's after the NCAA earlier implemented a rule saying teams had to play in one or the other, not both and slowly but surely took over as the bigger tournament.

For decades, many teams played as unaffiliated independents, but those that played in conferences, held championships. The champions were more likely to get invited to the NIT or later to the NCAA.

These conference championships mean a lot to the players, schools and coaches, as does the regular season championship. They have been around longer than the NCAA tournament in its present incarnation, though it has existed since 1939, and have great meaning. To say they are merely money makers with no reason is flat out wrong and shows a lack of fundamental understanding of college basketball and college athletics, in general.

It is easy to say they have no meaning, it's kind of a throw away comment in that it doesn't seem to matter if you win your tournament, so long as you make the big dance, but the conference tourney winners also get auto bids to the tournament, so the national championship outcome is influenced by who wins the conference tournaments. They affect seeding and who is actually in the tournament.

I would recommend you tell Coach Huggins to his face that they have no meaning or any player or athletic dept employee. Any alumnus over 40 with any sense of tradition and memory of past A10 tournaments, Big East tournaments and now, B12 tournaments, will disagree because they have meaning in that the team accomplished a goal, the team won something more than just a regular season game, they won a conference title. That is why players play.

Posted on: 4/21 9:40 am

Ingest Feces Pittsburgh!

Gettin' Schmitty
From Originally, Lester WV, now, Richmond, "East" Virginia
Quote:

wvmtneer wrote:
The ACC formed in 1954 and had a conference tournament that year. The NIT used to crown the national champion and it wasn't surpassed in prestige and populatity until the 1960's after the NCAA earlier implemented a rule saying teams had to play in one or the other, not both and slowly but surely took over as the bigger tournament.

For decades, many teams played as unaffiliated independents, but those that played in conferences, held championships. The champions were more likely to get invited to the NIT or later to the NCAA.

These conference championships mean a lot to the players, schools and coaches, as does the regular season championship. They have been around longer than the NCAA tournament in its present incarnation, though it has existed since 1939, and have great meaning. To say they are merely money makers with no reason is flat out wrong and shows a lack of fundamental understanding of college basketball and college athletics, in general.

It is easy to say they have no meaning, it's kind of a throw away comment in that it doesn't seem to matter if you win your tournament, so long as you make the big dance, but the conference tourney winners also get auto bids to the tournament, so the national championship outcome is influenced by who wins the conference tournaments. They affect seeding and who is actually in the tournament.

I would recommend you tell Coach Huggins to his face that they have no meaning or any player or athletic dept employee. Any alumnus over 40 with any sense of tradition and memory of past A10 tournaments, Big East tournaments and now, B12 tournaments, will disagree because they have meaning in that the team accomplished a goal, the team won something more than just a regular season game, they won a conference title. That is why players play.

Preach on it wvmtneer!

Posted on: 4/21 11:12 am

From Charlottesville, Virginia
Quote:

wvmtneer wrote:

Bubbles is exactly right. Every WVU team that participates in the Big 12 sets as a goal winning the conference championship in that sport. Every team from every other Big 12 school does the same. It is an accomplishment to be celebrated. I don't think anybody is tanking Big 12 play to save themselves for the opportunity for a national championship. That is as bad a choice as you can make.

Posted on: 4/21 1:13 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Conference tournaments now are more so for bubble teams. In the era of one and dones there really isn't much tradition anymore. They mean more to teams fighting to get in the tournament than it does for Kansas, Duke, etc. If you go up and ask players and coaches what they would rather win, a conference championship, or make it to the final four/NC game they will tell you final four. A conference championship would be nice, but it really doesn't mean anything. ISU has conference championships but you never hear about them other than the conference championship game.

Posted on: 4/22 9:35 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Dunedin FL
Quote:

LesterBoy wrote:
As shown here, WVU has 14 scholarship players (including incoming Allen, Knapper and Culver), but the NCAA limits the team to 13 scholarships. IF Culver gets his grades straight and is eligible, then when you look at the roster there are only two options for scholarships to chance. One is Maciej Bender, and the other is Chase Harler. Maybe Harler could go off scholarship and get the home-town discount, but I don't know how that would work. In any event, Culver cannot come in unless room is made for him. I would love for him to be on the team next season, but it does not look good.

Guess the open scholly issue is solved, eh? Wonder if Huggs knew that MAcon was planning to leave?

Posted on: 5/26 11:29 am

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Starting 5:
Carter
Miles
Ahmad
Konate
West

Reserves with significant playing time:
Bolden
Harler
Bender

Then I would think 3 out of the 5 new guys will be part of the press.

Posted on: 5/26 9:13 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Dunedin FL
Maybe more. I think all 3 freshmen(Culver, Knapper, and Allen) may see time, and the other two guys are JUCO, so you think at least physically they might be ready. Kind of intrigued by Wesley Harris, he had offers from UConn, Arizona, and Arizona State as well.

Posted on: 5/27 4:35 pm

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
I think Macon leaving will be either be a disaster for Konate and Bender or a blessing. Will they be able to handle the extended minutes? I'm beginning to believe we might be better off not pressing as much. The talent of the first 5 is prob. better than every team on Big 12 except of course Kansas. Texas will have legit talent but seem too young.

Posted on: 5/27 5:27 pm

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
I wish Macon well, but I am just disappointed that he made this decision. I completely understand it, but given the jump he made in his play last year and given his natural physical attributes, I thought that this year might be the Elijah Macon show with him getting some national attention and possible NBA interest, provided he continued to progress. It seemed like the switch finally flipped and I was expecting him to have a huge year under Coach Huggins' tutelage.

Oh well, no point belaboring the fact, but damn. Family need and fear of injury and having graduated.

Posted on: 5/28 8:37 am

Ingest Feces Pittsburgh!

Pitt Hater
From austin, tx
Quote:

wvmtneer wrote:
I wish Macon well, but I am just disappointed that he made this decision.

Wonder how WVU would have done last year if Devin Williams had stayed. WVU barely lost to Gonzaga who barely lost to NC for the national title.

Posted on: 5/28 6:38 pm

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Quote:

ncohen wrote:
Quote:

wvmtneer wrote:

Wonder how WVU would have done last year if Devin Williams had stayed. WVU barely lost to Gonzaga who barely lost to NC for the national title.

I wish players would realize how much it improves there brand to make it to NC game. Also, just the accomplishment when you look back on your life when your retired. Yeah, maybe you don't make the NBA but for the rest of your life you can say you made it to Final Four. 30 years from now when Devin Williams or Elijah Macon look back, they will realize how great it was to make sweet sixteen and will most likely will regret what could of been if they stayed one more year. Butler, JOnes, Ebanks, Truck, Mazzula they will be forever remembered as something special. Is that one year of making money in international ball worth giving up being part of something you and alot of people will remember forever. In my opinion, in the long run, no.

Posted on: 5/29 11:47 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

jameschi wrote:
Quote:

ncohen wrote:
Quote:

wvmtneer wrote:

I wish players would realize how much it improves there brand to make it to NC game. Also, just the accomplishment when you look back on your life when your retired. Yeah, maybe you don't make the NBA but for the rest of your life you can say you made it to Final Four. 30 years from now when Devin Williams or Elijah Macon look back, they will realize how great it was to make sweet sixteen and will most likely will regret what could of been if they stayed one more year. Butler, JOnes, Ebanks, Truck, Mazzula they will be forever remembered as something special. Is that one year of making money in international ball worth giving up being part of something you and alot of people will remember forever. In my opinion, in the long run, no.

Eh, we don't know kids family situation. Sometimes that 50 or 100k to play overseas can make a huge difference in a family life here in the US, more than a final 4. I am sad to see Macon go, and I can't believe I'm saying that. I think they'll miss him more than Adrian. He really improved over B12 play and in the tournament. I still fully expect the team to be in the top 10 preseason, but Konate and Bender will have to grow up quickly for this team to reach the final 4

Posted on: 5/30 10:25 am

From Charlottesville, Virginia
Macon was one of my favorite players, but WVU isn't hurting for bodies. The team is deep, and Macon's absence gives more minutes to some younger players. It could turn out to be a blessing in the long run.

Posted on: 5/30 4:22 pm

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Quote:

Eers88 wrote:
Macon was one of my favorite players, but WVU isn't hurting for bodies. The team is deep, and Macon's absence gives more minutes to some younger players. It could turn out to be a blessing in the long run.

Agreed, wanted him to stay more for him, next year could be a special year. Best team since 2010 but the schedule is alot harder next year.

Posted on: 5/30 6:33 pm

« 1 2 3 (4)

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved