We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 ... 55 56 57 (58) 59 »

Re: WVU BBall Thread for Things that Don't Need their Own Thread
Pitt Hater
From Philadelphia/West Virgina
Sags may leave ~ he needs to talk to Williams to see how it worked out for him.... Reports are that he will be a possible late 2nd round pick. I hope Huggs can talk him into staying, getting a degree, and learn to be a better player and person.

Posted on: 4/18 5:40 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Yep, I think its 50/50 he leaves, could be lottery pick next season, or certainly could go 2nd round this season.
Obviously, you go 1st round then the NBA team, will give you at least two seasons to show you can play. Second round pick and you are expendable, they can bury you in D league and really never give you a chance for big minutes.

Posted on: 4/18 7:37 am

Party Machine
From graffenwhor,germany
I've seen a few posts on here talking about the uncertainty around McCabe, citing his level of competition and subpar defense. As far as competition goes he also plays AAU ball and a lot of people think the circuit is more important than highschool now a days. He also has been at elite camps, I know at at least one he was playing king of the court with the best recruits in the country.

And I think knowing his defense is where it is, is one of the reasons he chose WVU. The kid wants to get to the NBA and learning defense from one of the best defensive coaches is going to round out his game.

He isn't a guaranteed homerun, but i think he is far from a bust recruit.

Posted on: 4/18 9:22 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Dunedin FL
I hope he stays or his sake, and ours. He is still too raw, and has a lot to learn about the game that only comes with playing. He stayed out of foul trouble better this year, but still needs to work on it. Everyone is elite at the next level.

Posted on: 4/18 9:23 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Dunedin FL
Quote:

KmasterC wrote:
I've seen a few posts on here talking about the uncertainty around McCabe, citing his level of competition and subpar defense. As far as competition goes he also plays AAU ball and a lot of people think the circuit is more important than highschool now a days. He also has been at elite camps, I know at at least one he was playing king of the court with the best recruits in the country.

And I think knowing his defense is where it is, is one of the reasons he chose WVU. The kid wants to get to the NBA and learning defense from one of the best defensive coaches is going to round out his game.

He isn't a guaranteed homerun, but i think he is far from a bust recruit.

I'm drinking the McCabe kool-aid, too. Everything I've seen has been impressive, and that includes all-star and AAU games - he typically stands out statistically and on the floor. It's not like I think he'll come in and dominate, but I think he'll be a contributor next year, and only get better as he gets older and stronger. He can shoot the 3, and you know we shoot a lot of 3's. He also appears to see the court really well.

Posted on: 4/18 3:27 pm

Pitt Hater
From austin, tx
Quote:

jameschi wrote:
Yep, I think its 50/50 he leaves, could be lottery pick next season, or certainly could go 2nd round this season.
Obviously, you go 1st round then the NBA team, will give you at least two seasons to show you can play. Second round pick and you are expendable, they can bury you in D league and really never give you a chance for big minutes.

I wonder what the factors are:
i. training. In D league there would be more time for basketball than in college. How would the coaches compare? How would in-game minutes compare? How important is game time vs practice time?
ii. Money. A 1st-round draft pick makes lots more money than someone in D/G league -- Millions vs around $50,000. The issue is what a G-league player would make if he made the NBA the next year. Under the collective bargaining agreement, rookies make between $15 M and $3 M (for two years), depending on draft position. New NBA players (0-years experience) make a minimum of 800,000 (for one year).
iii. life outside basketball.

Posted on: 4/18 9:07 pm

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
D- league salary is between 19500 to 26k,(Though if drafted, they prob. get more with a 3 year contract or so) not much, and Sags would most likely spend time there. If he doesn't put up huge numbers there, and the competition there would be much higher than College then he prob. wouldn't get the call. The coach for D league would also have zero incentive to feature Sags or make him the #1 option on offense. (Carter went from off the radar to prob a second roundpick, being feature by Huggins this season, and Sags would get that treatment next season if he stays)
I think its obvious to most people its a no brainer to stay in college one more year but the dream and shortcuts can easily sidetrack any younger person.

The question is how many players drafted 2nd round last season are getting any minutes or on NBA rosters. I'd gather maybe just a few. Whereas if drafted in 1st round a team will give you many chances even if your struggling. The payday from being a 1st rounder too is enough to live off too, if you dont make it.

Posted on: 4/19 7:17 am

Here for the Beer
From Fairmont WV
If you're a 1st roun pick in the NBA draft you should declare. See ya later college.
If you're a 2nd round pick you should stay in college and improve your game.
This seems transparent.

Posted on: 4/19 9:37 am

From Charlottesville, Virginia
I agree that Konate should stay in school unless he is a sure #1, but it is hard for a college kid to have that kind of foresight. I remember when I got my first car loan just after I left college. It was for $3,500. It seemed like a crap ton of money at the time and scared the piss out of me to have that debt. If somebody had said,"How does a $50,000 signing bonus sound?" I would have signed immediately, and some of these players are looking at more than that, even though it seems meager by professional sports standards.

Posted on: 4/19 10:18 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
From M
I feel like it should be a no-brainer to stay an develop his skills another year in the best conference in the NCAA. He's good but has a lot of things to improve to be NBA worthy.

Posted on: 4/19 3:38 pm

Party Machine
Does anyone know how Huggins or WVU handle people leaving early to go pro? Does Huggs sit down and talk to the players about the reality of leaving early and not making that much money. As opposed to staying another year? Just curious who all is in on that

Posted on: 4/19 6:47 pm

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Hopefully Sags stays, bc the payday from being a 1st rounder vs 2nd rounder is huge. You make 1st rounder you are set for life like Joe Alexander even if you don't make it. 2nd rounder like Ebanks if you don't make it, then down the road you better find a real job. To all older people it is a no brainer to stay, but when your young and have agents or family members whisper in your ear the allure is tough to turn down. We shall soon see what Sags decides in the coming weeks.

Posted on: 4/19 11:03 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Springfield
Quote:

jameschi wrote:
Hopefully Sags stays, bc the payday from being a 1st rounder vs 2nd rounder is huge. You make 1st rounder you are set for life like Joe Alexander even if you don't make it. 2nd rounder like Ebanks if you don't make it, then down the road you better find a real job. To all older people it is a no brainer to stay, but when your young and have agents or family members whisper in your ear the allure is tough to turn down. We shall soon see what Sags decides in the coming weeks.

I would say Ebanks made it. I mean he played meaningful minutes for the Lakers for a couple years.

Posted on: 4/20 1:14 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Dunedin FL
Quote:

SchmittBreal wrote:
Quote:

jameschi wrote:

I would say Ebanks made it. I mean he played meaningful minutes for the Lakers for a couple years.

Year Team GP GS MPG
2010–11 L.A. Lakers 20 0 5.9
2011–12 L.A. Lakers 24 12 16.5
2012–13 L.A. Lakers 19 3 10.4

Posted on: 4/20 1:48 pm

Party Machine
From Salisbury, Md
Ebanks made $2,290,00 in 3 years.
Alexander made $5,076,000 in 3 years (2 years were guaranteed 3rd year was $90,000 for 2 months with the Hornets).

Joe played in 67 NBS games, Devin 63.

Posted on: 4/20 9:19 pm
“I want to apologize to our fans, apologize to the people in the state of West Virginia. This is totally unacceptable. This is not what we’re supposed to represent and hopefully they have enough faith in me that I will fix it.” — Bob Huggins

Grant Ave. Warrior
From M
Ebanks definitely had some production as a backup. The Lakers liked him and I remember Kobe himself giving Ebanks mad props for the role he played on the team.

Posted on: 4/21 6:34 am

Pitt Hater
From Columbus, OH (via Belpre, OH)
Quote:

Turkish wrote:
Ebanks definitely had some production as a backup. The Lakers liked him and I remember Kobe himself giving Ebanks mad props for the role he played on the team.

Kobe actually praised Ebanks for his improvement in the preseason. When it came to regular season production, Ebanks wasn't very good. He played 16 mpg 24 games in his second season and only 10 mpg in 19 games in his 3rd. I remember seeing Kobe's comments and thinking Ebanks was going to make a big leap, but it never happened. If you look at his stats, it's pretty obvious that he never learned how to shoot and wasn't good enough in other aspects of his game to warrant a roster spot.

Posted on: 4/21 9:01 am

Re: WVU BBall Thread - State POY to walk on with WVU
WMITC
From Here
The West Virginia high school player of the year is joining WVU as a walk-on.

Taevon Horton, who led Class AA Fairmont Senior to the state championship game in March, said Saturday he'll join the Mountaineers for the 2018-19 season. Horton averaged 19.9 points, 6.7 rebounds and 2.3 steals per game for the Polar Bears, who reached the final for the fourth straight season and won the title in 2017.

Strong and agile with a knack for driving the ball, Horton joins a backcourt that welcomes more talent: Chase Harler, Beetle Bolden, Brandon Knapper and freshmen Jordan McCabe and Trey Doomes, who Horton played with last weekend at the Scott Brown Memorial Classic in Beckley.

Source: EerSports

Posted on: 4/21 2:44 pm

Pitt Hater
From Indianapolis,IN via Somerset, PA
We'll take as many talented bodies as we can get. With our unfortunate habit of picking up fouls at an alarming rate, there are never enough people on the roster. Anyone who can actually score in the half-court offense is an added plus.

Posted on: 4/23 8:43 am

From Charlottesville, Virginia
Teams With Most To Gain or Lose From NBA Draft Decisions

WEST VIRGINIA: ESA AHMAD, SAGABA KONATE; WEST VIRGINIA

SI.com way-too-early Top 25 rank: 15

Starting guards Carter and Daxter Miles Jr. have no choice but to move on, but the Mountaineers could lose two other starters from last season’s 26-win team that garnered a No. 5 seed. Konate drew national attention with his emphatic, two-handed swat of Mikal Bridges in the Sweet 16, while Ahmad only played the second half of 2017–18 after not meeting NCAA eligibility standards.

The Mountaineers could lean on this duo to anchor the frontcourt rotation while working in guards who can fill the scoring, playmaking and defensive void left by Carter and Miles Jr. on the perimeter, such as knockdown deep shooter James ‘Beetle’ Bolden. A major backcourt re-tooling wouldn’t prevent head coach Bob Huggins from leading this group into the thick of the Big 12 race, but West Virginia probably wouldn’t fall too far if Konate and Ahmad head to the pros.

Posted on: 4/24 11:51 am

« 1 ... 55 56 57 (58) 59 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved