We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

(1) 2 »

Dealing with the Deficit
Anonymous
Account_DeletedAnonymous
Let's discuss ideas on what we think could be done to reduce deficits. I think all areas should be considered, from defense spending and state department to entitlement programs. Who wants to provide the first idea? Hell, we may figure things out for them.

Posted on: 4/16/2012 6:23 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Dealing with the Deficit
Grant Ave. Warrior
From Drexel Hill, PA
Don't fight stupid wars in countries that didn't attack us. Stop fighting hopeless wars in countries that don't really care if we are there or not.

Invoke the Clinton tax code.

Allow Medicare to negotiate pharmaceutical rates with the manufacturers. Shut down European military bases built to fight World War II.

Stop the joint strike fighter or make the project really work - and something the military wants to use and for which the Pentagon has a real use.

Once and for all, deal with China's currency manipulation, increasing trade from the US to China. Get as aggressive with them as they are with us, especially on patent infringing products being marketed here.

Invest in infrastructure and research to increase the size of the economy.

Invest in fuel efficiency to reduce oil imports (eliminate a third of oil imports and trade balances).

Posted on: 4/16/2012 7:47 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Orlando
1. 5% minimum Tax on every body.
2. 3% tax hike on people making more than 250k year
3. 1.5% Tax hike on people making 10k-249k per year
4. Death Tax- If you end up taking more out of SS or Medicare than you put in, you pay a 10% death tax.
5. Close all over sea bases.
6. No more free rides, Terrories becomes states or are no longer given assistance.
7. End over seas aid
8. Close NASA
9. Combine the Air Force and the Army
10. Stop investing in Companies
11. Sale all stock of banks, (tarp)
12. Close DOE, Opt for state ran Education Systems

Posted on: 4/16/2012 8:49 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Warrenton, Va
Quote:

Billhilly wrote:

9. Combine the Air Force and the Army

YES! Hovertanks!!!!!

Posted on: 4/16/2012 8:53 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Orlando
I forgot have the Air Force take over for NASA, After all if there is any thing up there that is a huge issue, it proply need to be blow up anyways,

Posted on: 4/16/2012 8:58 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Warrenton, Va
Quote:

wvman75 wrote:
Let's discuss ideas on what we think could be done to reduce deficits. I think all areas should be considered, from defense spending and state department to entitlement programs. Who wants to provide the first idea? Hell, we may figure things out for them.

Open in new window

Posted on: 4/16/2012 8:59 pm

Anonymous
Account_DeletedAnonymous

Open in new window

Posted on: 4/16/2012 9:31 pm

Anonymous
Account_DeletedAnonymous
All joking aside, I don't think we're really as far apart as it appears on the surface or we'd like ourselves to believe. We often get caught up in rhetoric and substance is always the loser. Anyone else?

(I've already seen some good ideas)

One of you nasty liberals , said something in a post that stuck with me. The person pointed out that we all know what's the right thing to do deep down. I think that goes for both sides of the political spectrum. It goes to having the courage to admit it. I'll share my personal philosophy soon enough. I have no intention of belittling anyone's ideas. We all have them. They just differ slightly, but I think not so much as we might deceive ourselves into believing. I'm hopeful.

Posted on: 4/16/2012 9:55 pm

Webmaster
From Seattle
Simpson-Bowles is a very very good place to start the debate.

Posted on: 4/16/2012 11:37 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Orlando
Maybe a nice starting point, But cutting 4 Trillion over ten years don't realy help when they are projectging 10 trillion deficit over the same time.

Posted on: 4/17/2012 8:58 am

Makin' it Rain
From Raleigh, NC (St. Marys, WV)
I really want to keep the National Parks going.

Posted on: 4/17/2012 10:01 am
http://utminers.utep.edu/omwilliamson/ENGL1311/fallacies.htm This is a link to a list of logical fallacies. Remember, these are things to try and avoid when making a point. It's not a checklist to make sure you get them all in.

WMITC
From Here
How about this:

All members of Congress, regardless of political affiliation, agree to work for the good of the country instead of the good of the party.

Then, they sit down and work out a plan that everyone can agree on.

Right. Like that's ever going to happen.

Posted on: 4/17/2012 10:24 am

From Charlottesville, Virginia
This article offers a proposal that is a good start:

Tax System Is America's Biggest Spender - Bloomberg

If you want to compare apples to apples, then instead of giving richer people and corporations tax deductions, force the government to write them a check and see who is really getting welfare.

Posted on: 4/17/2012 11:33 am

Makin' it Rain
From Canonsburg, PA
1. Grow the economy by promoting programs that generate growth and jobs. (This will require telling the Dems to shut up about the tree-hugging)
1a. Invest in pure research that will provide the next big breakthrough. (This will require Republicans to shut up about cutting government spending on non-essential things)
2. Reset the top tax bracket back to 39.6%
3. Get rid of the child tax credit for tax payers

Number 1 and 1a being the most important of all. Fix those 2 and all will be good with the world.

Posted on: 4/17/2012 11:44 am

Here are Romney's thoughts on taxes:

Romney Favors Repealing Federal Tax Deduction for State Taxes

I tend to agree with him, but haven't given it much thought. Why should the federal government pay people who have paid state taxes? If you don't like your state tax rate, then take it up with your legislature.

Posted on: 4/17/2012 11:48 am

Quote:

brobison wrote:
1. Grow the economy by promoting programs that generate growth and jobs. (This will require telling the Dems to shut up about the tree-hugging)
1a. Invest in pure research that will provide the next big breakthrough. (This will require Republicans to shut up about cutting government spending on non-essential things)
2. Reset the top tax bracket back to 39.6%
3. Get rid of the child tax credit for tax payers

Number 1 and 1a being the most important of all. Fix those 2 and all will be good with the world.

The problem with both 1 and 1a is that there are going to be companies that fail, in fact many that fail, and the political fallout is burdensome. If people could accept that truth, then it would be much easier to do.

Posted on: 4/17/2012 11:50 am

Anonymous
Account_DeletedAnonymous
There are some good points being made so far.

Here's my personal philosophy. Let me preface by saying that I am not exactly a "federalist" and I don't believe in promoting a strong central government. I don't trust a centalization of power and I don't think a large central government can efficiently manage the problems facing our nation going forward. They haven't proven capable of doing so on any issue, from health care, social security, Medicare, or even things like immigration reform. I think that some in the Federal government see it as omnipotent force, best able to address the issues due to the size, scope, and disparity of national interests. And there are many who want it that way. Not me. I disagree. I'm more of an individual and state's rights kind of person. Why? Because I feel those closest to the constituency can do a better job of doing what's best for the people who live in that state and environment.

My first budget trimming suggestion would be in the form of health care. One of the biggest budgetary and personal burdens. It impact all budgets. Federal, State, and Individual.

I've been giving this some thought and although I could agree with Obama and the democrats' intent, I question their execution. They should have clearly understood that basing it on the individual mandate was a big mistake. I personally feel it was a violation of the Constitution, but others seem willing to give up some protections for what they see as the greater good. I am not willing to do that. I don't believe in an omnipotent central authority with powers other than those enumerated in the Constitution. Those areas not enumerated were left to the states. I think they could have achieved better results, or at least the same results, with a different and Constitutional approach.

What was the intent of the individual mandate? It was to force younger people, who had less present risk, into purchasing health insurance before they felt they might need to. With the idea being to increase the monetary pool of participants and effectively lower insurance premiums for everyone, with the additional benefit of forcing insurance companies to cover pre-existing medical conditions. It was a carrot waved in front of the insurance companies to ensure they went along. I think the same thing could have been accomplished without the mandate.

First, I feel that the Federal government should provide a block of money to each state, based on that state's population and then get their hands off it, other than making sure the money is used as intended. The federal government should relinquish control and permit the states to institute and regulate health insurance exchanges individually and enroll their citizens. How would I do this without requiring a mandate? I would tie other existing entitlement programs and participation to health care. You want unemployment compensation? Sign up for a health care plan if you don't have one. You want food stamps, heating assistance, housing assistance, or to participate in any of the myriad of government entitlement programs? Fine. But, if you don't have health care coverage, you must sign up or not receive the benefits. Doing so would either reduce the rolls in those entitlement programs, or up the rolls in those with health care coverage. And all without embracing an unconstitutional individual mandate to purchase a product.

Posted on: 4/17/2012 1:33 pm

Anonymous
Account_DeletedAnonymous
A very large number of the people on entitlement programs fall into the age group that was being targeted by the individual mandate.

Posted on: 4/17/2012 2:27 pm

Anonymous
Account_DeletedAnonymous
Quote:
stanleywvu wrote: Simpson-Bowles is a very very good place to start the debate.

Here's a description of their recommendations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simpson-Bowles_plan

Posted on: 4/18/2012 8:12 am

Anonymous
Account_DeletedAnonymous
I don't think we can afford to raise taxes 15 cents per gallon on gasoline right now. People are struggling with gas prices enough already. Some of the other suggestions would be a good starting point, but if either party was serious, they wouldn't have dismissed the findings to begin with. I noticed Dick Durbin voted for the report, and then came out and criticized it publicly. I don't exactly understand that, but, it is politics.

Posted on: 4/19/2012 5:34 pm

(1) 2 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved