We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 »

Re: WVU Football 2018 Recruiting Thread
Pitt Hater
From Philadelphia/West Virgina
Tony Caridi, on Sports Line tonight was talking about Angus... He said these kickers can kick the ball very long...but at the special football kicking camp they learn controlled place kicking. They basically can put the ball anywhere they want. He compared it to controlled throwing in baseball. VT had an Australian kicker and that is why they always pinned us back at the 3 yard line.

Posted on: 11/28 7:48 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Pitt Hater
From Chokie Burg
Quote:

Eerful wrote:
We definitely need D-linemen. For the 3-3-5 to function the nose guard has to be a pit bull with an attitude and a Miller and Ervin at DE; otherwise, it is not effective, as proven in the OU game. IMO, the defensive line is the weakest area of this team, so the recruiting should be totally focus on reinforcing those positions.
I thought McDougle did a pretty good job at the nose for a True Freshman. He is only going to get better, I am hoping Dante Stills will be a beast. I agree with the Dude, we are building something special here.

Posted on: 11/28 10:34 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

eers4evr wrote:
Tony Caridi, on Sports Line tonight was talking about Angus... He said these kickers can kick the ball very long...but at the special football kicking camp they learn controlled place kicking. They basically can put the ball anywhere they want. He compared it to controlled throwing in baseball. VT had an Australian kicker and that is why they always pinned us back at the 3 yard line.

Texas also had an Australian punter who pinned our asses back all game, and won the Ray Guy award, is considered the best punter in the country.

As for the rest of the news agreed that McDougle looked good as a true freshman, another year in the strength and conditioning program, along with the game slowing down for him will only do him good, he's going to be a solid player for us throughout the 4 years. I'm a big fan of his currently. The older Stills' is coming along nicely which bodes well for Dante to stick, especially considering he's an High School AA talent, we're going to get better on both sides of the line through these younger guys and recruiting classes we're bringing in.

Be excited guys, with all the doom and gloom that's been going on with this board, the future is looking bright, read somewhere that we're the 16th rated class and 22nd rated class on Rivals and 247 respectively, even though that probably won't stay that good, we're still in position to have the best recruiting class in history.

Posted on: 11/29 12:17 am

Noob
Big weekend for recruiting coming up. It's official visit weekend, where most of the verbal commitments and a few others take official visits. The vast majority of the recruiting class will be in Morgantown over the weekend starting tomorrow.

WVU expects the vast majority of recruits to sign during the early signing period, Dec 20-22. Right now, WVU has 22 verbal commitments. Hopefully they can hang on to all of them and all will sign before Christmas. The only two maybes that I know of are Kwantel Raines and Leddie Brown. Raines has repeatedly stated his pledge to WVU, but Pitt and Penn State are pushing hard. Penn St lost their top safety commit to the Penn State Pen, as he was caught on tape with the gun in an armed robbery of a convenience store. Brown has remained committed while exploring options at North Carolina and Florida. Let's hope we keep both.

The last great need for the 2018 class is cornerback, and the guy they want, Jeremy Webb,is in town for his official this weekend. We are competing with Va Tech and Nebraska. He needs to leave Morgantown very impressed, to say the least. Backup options appear to be Keith Washington, Taymon Cooke, and players currently committed to Missouri and Arizona State.

Others in play include an outside linebacker and perhaps WR Kory Taylor. I doubt the OLB thing happens, but WVU still has eyes on a couple of guys from down south. We might be down to a CB (hopefully Webb), maybe one more player, and perhaps a transfer or two. Stay tuned.

Posted on: 12/7/2017 11:08 am

Party Machine
Quote:

professeer wrote:
Big weekend for recruiting coming up. It's official visit weekend, where most of the verbal commitments and a few others take official visits. The vast majority of the recruiting class will be in Morgantown over the weekend starting tomorrow.

WVU expects the vast majority of recruits to sign during the early signing period, Dec 20-22. Right now, WVU has 22 verbal commitments. Hopefully they can hang on to all of them and all will sign before Christmas. The only two maybes that I know of are Kwantel Raines and Leddie Brown. Raines has repeatedly stated his pledge to WVU, but Pitt and Penn State are pushing hard. Penn St lost their top safety commit to the Penn State Pen, as he was caught on tape with the gun in an armed robbery of a convenience store. Brown has remained committed while exploring options at North Carolina and Florida. Let's hope we keep both.

The last great need for the 2018 class is cornerback, and the guy they want, Jeremy Webb,is in town for his official this weekend. We are competing with Va Tech and Nebraska. He needs to leave Morgantown very impressed, to say the least. Backup options appear to be Keith Washington, Taymon Cooke, and players currently committed to Missouri and Arizona State.

Others in play include an outside linebacker and perhaps WR Kory Taylor. I doubt the OLB thing happens, but WVU still has eyes on a couple of guys from down south. We might be down to a CB (hopefully Webb), maybe one more player, and perhaps a transfer or two. Stay tuned.

I do not understand why Raines would go to Pitt. 1 player on defense can’t make the difference when everyone else is awful.

Posted on: 12/8/2017 10:51 am

Makin' it Rain
From Canonsburg, PA
Quote:

jkmaynard wrote:
Quote:

professeer wrote:

I do not understand why Raines would go to Pitt. 1 player on defense can’t make the difference when everyone else is awful.

To back up professeer I have been hearing the same about Raines. I have also been hearing that we may not want him.....he has.......troubles, we'll just say.

Posted on: 12/8/2017 4:59 pm

Noob
I haven't heard anything bad about Raines. I am no insider by any means, but from the outside he seems like a model citizen. I for one hope he stays committed.

So far, according to 24/7 sports, 18 of the 22 commits are promised to sign Dec 20-22. The only four commits not on that list are Raines, RB Leddie Brown, WR Randy Fields, and the Australian punter Angus Davies. With both Rainesand Brown in town this weekend, hopefully both can be convinced to sign. I thought I read somewhere that Davies can't sign or get here until Summer. Not sure why Fields is not signing early. We'll see.

Posted on: 12/8/2017 6:48 pm

Pitt Hater
Quote:

apizzle wrote:
Quote:

eers4evr wrote:
VT had an Australian kicker and that is why they always pinned us back at the 3 yard line.

Texas also had an Australian punter who pinned our asses back all game, and won the Ray Guy award, is considered the best punter in the country.

Here's a pic of our next kicker. He's ready for Morgantown!

Open in new window

Wait a goddamned minute Dana! Not Austrian, AUSTRALIAN. Get back on the plane....get back on that plane!

Posted on: 12/8/2017 8:22 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Springfield
For a program that has always been terrible at special teams, we sure do have some legendary punter/kickers.

Posted on: 12/8/2017 11:42 pm

Here for the Beer
From Bunker Hill
If we get that punter we should play AC/DC before each punt.

Posted on: 12/9/2017 11:37 am

Pitt Hater
From columbia,sc
Actually Austrian would be okay as well. The Europeans usually have really good soccer teams. And the better kickers come from soccer countries

Posted on: 12/9/2017 10:01 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:
“100% committed and will be signing December 20th to make it official #Dawgs,” Raines tweeted out on Monday evening, one day after returning from his official visit to West Virginia.

Posted on: 12/11/2017 8:34 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From spencer
Quote:

92WVUGrad wrote:
Quote:
“100% committed and will be signing December 20th to make it official #Dawgs,” Raines tweeted out on Monday evening, one day after returning from his official visit to West Virginia.

Oh the future is bright. The only thing we need is a couple of more cb’s and maybe a middle lb transfer. Offense looks good at every spot.

Posted on: 12/11/2017 9:22 pm

Suspected Punter
Rivals has us at #15 class. Now I know that can change but does anyone out there ever remember a better recruiting class rank than that? I don't. I'd say we're doing very good. Impressive even.

Posted on: 12/11/2017 10:26 pm

Noob
The Raines announcement is big news. As of now, 19 of the 22 commits are expected to sign next week. Raines and Randy Fields are now expected to sign. Angus Davies is a wait-til-summer guy, being from Australia. Leddie Brown has still not committed to sign early. The curious name now not on the early sign list is cornerback Jayce Rogers, who has been committed since summer.

The cornerback position is the last one left with great need. JUCO Joshua Norwood is visiting this weekend and seems a solid commit. Jeremy Webb seemed to have a good visit, and it is between us and VPI I think. Another name is Vincent Gray from Michigan. He is currently committed to Missouri, but Chris Anderson thinks we have a good shot to flip him. Maybe it is a wait and see game with Webb and Gray that has given Rogers second thoughts. Keith Washington is in the mix. Taymon Cooke is still out there too. I can't see them taking a total of 4 CBs, so Norwood plus two more looks like it right now. But who knows at this point?

I think WVU still makes a play for an offensive lineman. A new offer out is Levon Livingston, an OT from a Texas JUCO. A lot should happen in the next 8-9 days.

Posted on: 12/11/2017 10:51 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From M
Love the class. This is really exciting to watch go down.

That being said I feel like if a team were to recruit their best players on both lines, OL and DL, like say a handful of legit 4 star guys, and put a bunch of 2 star guys at the skill positions, you'd be better off than the reverse order. As we've seen, it doesnt matter if you have a great RB or QBif the RB doesnt have holes to run through and the QB is under pressure all the time. I feel like if our OL opened better holes just 20% more of the time than they did, we'd have the 1 RB in the country right now. If they held their blocks a little longer a little more often, Grier would'v also put up way bigger numbers. I know its a lot harder for us to get those guys to WV than it is OU and Bama, but the more the better. We should have a special linemen recruiter that does nothing but that full time lol.

Posted on: 12/12/2017 6:38 am

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Quote:

helgramite wrote:
Rivals has us at #15 class. Now I know that can change but does anyone out there ever remember a better recruiting class rank than that? I don't. I'd say we're doing very good. Impressive even.

Seen us really high before, but then drop off as the recruiting season wound down. CB Webb would really be the cherry to solidfy the class but 247 has him going to VTU at 82%. He would start right away, and could be that lockdown corner. Easy to pitch him with Worley and Douglas making NFL in last couple years, but VTU has same success prob. If we don't get him then we better get a CB transfer or something.

Posted on: 12/12/2017 8:46 am

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
Quote:

jameschi wrote:
Quote:

helgramite wrote:

Seen us really high before, but then drop off as the recruiting season wound down. CB Webb would really be the cherry to solidfy the class but 247 has him going to VTU at 82%. He would start right away, and could be that lockdown corner. Easy to pitch him with Worley and Douglas making NFL in last couple years, but VTU has same success prob. If we don't get him then we better get a CB transfer or something.

Who/how are these predictions made?

He's sporing Eer-gear on his Twitter profile pic:

Open in new window

Posted on: 12/12/2017 11:24 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
Sounds like top 5 juco 2018 class CB Keith Washington will be a mountaineer.

Posted on: 12/12/2017 12:06 pm

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
Quote:

92WVUGrad wrote:
Sounds like top 5 juco 2018 class CB Keith Washington will be a mountaineer.

Impressive offer list...beating out the likes of UAB, ECU, Memphis, Middle Tennessee and Kansas for his services...

He only has 2 other P5 offers ... TT and Kansas...not good company to keep.

He's had 3.5 tackles and 0 PBUPs/INTs in the last 4 games he's played in.

Although, I see he was originally recruited by and played at Michigan....decided to transfer after his RS Freshman year. No explanation given for the transfer other than this before the beginning of this past year:

Michigan defensive back Keith Washington confirmed to AL.com on Monday night he intends to transfer with just more than a week before the season-opener against Florida.

The 6-foot-2, 180-pound defensive back called the move a "spur-of-the-moment decision," and said he went "with his gut."

"There are a lot of things that affected my decision to transfer for me and my family," Washington said on Monday night. "I enjoyed my time at Michigan. It's a beautiful campus with great fans. Coach (Jim) Harbaugh is good guy, great coach and very competitive."

The redshirt sophomore, who said Michigan did not put any restrictions on his transfer, added his future destination could land him at a JUCO or FBS program.

"I'm looking for anywhere to showcase my skills and give me the opportunity to play and do what I love," said Washington, who informed Michigan coaches of his decision on Saturday.

So he'll be a RS Junior with 2 years of eligibility remaining.

I wonder if they know Webb isn't coming....otherwise they should definitely save the spot for him.

Attach file:

jpg  KW offer list.JPG (73.16 KB)
2658_5a301776c7099.jpg 611X942 px

Posted on: 12/12/2017 12:49 pm

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved