We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 21 »

Re: WVU Football 2018 Recruiting Thread
Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
I think they know we need two starters and good backups.

Next season you will have Hakeen Bailey JR. and Sean Mahone Sophmore. Webb would certainly make a weak CB crew very strong. Certainly taking Washington makes sense. If you don't get Webb, hopefully a CB transfer from a Power 5 team becomes available. Safties, Linebackers and D-Line should be very good and deep.

Posted on: 12/12 1:06 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

WVisHome wrote:
Quote:

jameschi wrote:
Quote:

helgramite wrote:
Rivals has us at #15 class. Now I know that can change but does anyone out there ever remember a better recruiting class rank than that? I don't. I'd say we're doing very good. Impressive even.

Seen us really high before, but then drop off as the recruiting season wound down. CB Webb would really be the cherry to solidfy the class but 247 has him going to VTU at 82%. He would start right away, and could be that lockdown corner. Easy to pitch him with Worley and Douglas making NFL in last couple years, but VTU has same success prob. If we don't get him then we better get a CB transfer or something.

Who/how are these predictions made?

He's sporing Eer-gear on his Twitter profile pic:

Open in new window

I'd love to get Webb, and I also don't really trust those crystal ball predictions much, I think they can help indicate, but you never know what someone between 18-22 is going to do. Webb and Washington are both great grabs, we need to solidify our corners as it's a major question mark going forward, getting both would help build depth we need to contend next year.

Posted on: 12/12 2:46 pm

Suspected Punter
Keith Washington makes commitment number 23. He is a former Michigan cornerback. He has 2 years to play 2. He makes the second JUCO corner (behind Joshua Norwood, ironically a former Buckeye) and third corner overall (along with Jayce Rogers). There is still a possibility for Webb, Gray, and Cooke. I think WVU may take one more CB, or they could be done.

Posted on: 12/12 4:26 pm

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV

Posted on: 12/15 11:36 am

Eat Shit Pitt

Suspected Punter
Today begins the last official visit weekend before the early signing period. I am sure the coaching staff wants as many players signed as possible a week from now. I know OG Briason Mays from Tennessee and JUCO CB Josh Norwood are visiting this weekend. I would guess WVU might be hosting at least 2 other CBs, and the names floated around most frequently include Missouri commit Vincent Gray and JUCO Arizona State commit Dominique Harrison. Norwood and Harrison are the number 4 and 5 rated JUCO CBs according to 24/7. Jeremy Webb is still in play too, and he makes a big visit to Tennessee this week, who has emerged as the third major suitor for his services, behind us and VPI.

As it stands, 19 of the 23 current commits are pledged to sign next week. Those not are Leddie Brown, Angus Davies, Jayce Rogers, and Tavis Lee. I would not be surprised to see WVU grab 2 corners soon and maybe an OLB sometime in January. There seems to be a growing interest between WVU and Alabama LB Kevontae Ruggs. Ruggs is an OLB or spur. He is a goodplayer with lots of interest. We'll see.

Posted on: 12/15 2:04 pm

Suspected Punter
Couple of updates. Jeremy Webb committed to Virginia Tech this evening, so WVU's top choice at CB is now off the board.

Perhaps a bit scarier in the long run, Ohio State is making a play for DE Alex Williams. They haven't offered officially yet, but most of the recruiting analysts around Ohio are already calling for a commitment flip. Williams has been a solid commit for months, but when the Buckeyes come calling to an Ohio kid, it is hard for them to pass up. Let's hope Mr. Williams has some Kwantel Raines in him and sticks with us. I think this kid is a steal.

In other minor news, CB commit Josh Norwood has been given a 4 star rating by ESPN, bringing the total number of 4-stars by at least one service to 8 (Stills, Raines, Banks, Brown, Lowe, Spalding, Scott, and now Norwood). If they can flip the CB Harrison, that would make 9, as he too is a 4-star on ESPN.

Posted on: 12/15 10:10 pm

Pitt Hater
From Columbus, OH (via Belpre, OH)
Quote:

professeer wrote:
Couple of updates. Jeremy Webb committed to Virginia Tech this evening, so WVU's top choice at CB is now off the board.

Perhaps a bit scarier in the long run, Ohio State is making a play for DE Alex Williams. They haven't offered officially yet, but most of the recruiting analysts around Ohio are already calling for a commitment flip. Williams has been a solid commit for months, but when the Buckeyes come calling to an Ohio kid, it is hard for them to pass up. Let's hope Mr. Williams has some Kwantel Raines in him and sticks with us. I think this kid is a steal.

OSU lost a D-Line commit last week. The scuttlebutt is that some SEC coaches started a rumor that the Buckeyes' D-line coach, Larry Johnson, was about to retire. Johnson came out and shot down the rumors recently. There's a chance the kid that de-committed could re-commit but I imagine OSU is covering their bases just in case. Johnson's history of putting players in the NFL is an incredible recruiting tool. WVU could offer him a better chance at earlier playing time. That OSU D-Line is stacked and they have several young players and 2018 recruits already on-board for that position.

Edit: OSU has lost 2 DE commits so far and have 3 DT recruits committed. This may not end well for us

Posted on: 12/16 9:24 am

Suspected Punter
I don't think this ends well for us either. Practically every kid who plays football in Ohio (and there are LOTS of them) dreams of wearing red and playing in the Horseshoe, much like kids in WV (except for those in Cabell and Wayne Counties) dream of running out onto Mountaineer Field in the old gold and blue. I am sure Alex Williams pretended to be a Buckeye more than once in his backyard. I can't blame him; I just hate to lose him. I think he can be really good. So does Urban Meyer.

Ohio State has Ohio all to themselves pretty much, as everyone else lines up for the kids they don't want. Meyer has taken their brand national now, and there are only a few Ohio kids on the commitment list. They are targeting one of their own. That temptation, along with their reputation for putting D-linemen in the NFL, is probably too great to pass up. I wish the kid well. He will shine wherever he goes

Posted on: 12/16 10:25 am

Pitt Hater
From Columbus, OH (via Belpre, OH)
If there's any consolation, it's that there are more highly rated DE's on OSU's recruiting board. For OSU, the ranking means more than bringing in a homegrown talent. With how easily accessible these lists are, most kids can see that. If I'm WVU I'm reminding him that, they may want you now but what about next year when they bring in 2 or 3 five-star guys because they're not comfortable with your three-star ranking

Posted on: 12/16 5:12 pm

Suspected Punter
According to one of Ohio State's recruiting experts, Alex Williams will issue a statement and sign Wednesday afternoon. I assume we will all find out what he will do then. Ohio State has bigger fish on the radar. I hope he goes with the good guys but my gut tells me he will be a Buckeye this time next week. They will be getting a good one, though we still have a chance. All the recruiting experts think just because Ohio State shows interest in someone that they must drop all their previous commitments and go to Columbus. Let's hope this young man proves them wrong.

No word out yet on this weekend's visitors. Can't wait to hear what happened.

Posted on: 12/16 10:47 pm

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Be nice to get him especially if Ohio State wants him, but with only playing three D-lineman, he prob won't get much playing time. We should be very deep and good next season. It's the Cornerback spot I'm worried about. Not sure if Bailey is the answer as Left Corner,(Graded out as 2nd worst defender on team on 247) and the Right Corner will be wide open. I feel safer having signed a couple of JUCO's though.

Posted on: 12/16 11:09 pm

Suspected Punter
Speaking of CB, there is beginning to be a swell of crystal ball picks saying we will flip Missouri CB commit Vincent Gray. No word yet on whether we may or may not flip ASU commit Dominique Harrison. I'd love to see us wind up with both.

I agree Alex Williams may not see a lot of playing time next year because we return 4 of our top 5 DEs. I think he would become a fixture on the DL before too long, though.

Posted on: 12/17 3:19 pm

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Gray shows as hard commit to Missouri, but 100% to WVU on 247, not sure what that means. None the less would like to get both, and hopefully out of the group, two are decent. The question will also be, can Bailey get better or does he just not have the physicals. My feeling is he is a backup and not a starter.

Posted on: 12/17 4:34 pm

Suspected Punter
We actually have 24 commits or scholarships for this class counting the transfer kicker we brought in. Alex Williams had the most potential of any dlineman in our class. He's one of the last guys I wanted to flip. At 6'7" 250 he runs like a deer. He'd redshirt here, should but ya never know, then play behind the seniors as a rs freshman then start as a senior. At osu he'll be 280 in no time. Smh I'd rather Ledford flip than this kid. It's hard for us to find the diamonds in the rough at dline. Losing him makes the dline class a lot weaker especially if gmiter goes to guard like I'm sure he will. I like Allen, Lee, and stills, I guess it's still better than average for us but damn it was looking special. Just sucks. Now Ohio state has offered O'Laughlin smh but he says he's still 100% wvu. We'll see tom. And Michigan just Offered the cornerback Gray so I can't see him signing tom. I personally think in response to that message at the top that our linebackers will be weak next year unless ferns can prove he is who everyone thought. The idea of Long in the middle is a bad one. Our dline while there should be more depth I still wouldn't consider it loaded. The safties are definitely deep. That's the most interesting thing for me. We have three returning starters and a ton of guys behind them. Corners are weak til proved otherwise but I do think bailey will be better. Sry this is way too long. Tom will be a good day for the gold and blue. Just hope they all sign

Posted on: 12/19 9:18 am

Pitt Hater
I wouldn't get to excited about our rankings. Currently we are number 18 but, just look who we are ahead of and then look at the number of slots they have to fill.
When all is said and done I'll be surprised if we have a top 30 class.

Posted on: 12/19 10:42 am

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:
I wouldn't get to excited about our rankings. Currently we are number 18 but, just look who we are ahead of and then look at the number of slots they have to fill.
When all is said and done I'll be surprised if we have a top 30 class.

Open in new window

Posted on: 12/19 11:36 am

Suspected Punter
I imagine we will wind up somewhere between 25 and 30 in the Rivals rankings when the recruiting season is finished. We don't have a lot more to add and other schools do. I know as a fan it is fun to see how we stack up against other schools, but it is probably better to see how we stack up against ourselves. Here are some numbers from past years.

Year/Ranking/Star Ranking/Recruiting Points

2018/17/3.00/1688 (so far)
2017/51/2.74/1380
2016/38/2.64/1491
2015/33/3.05/1546
2014/45/2.95/1420
2013/25/2.85/1722

Before 2013, the points numbers were computed differently and I don't know how to meaningfully translate. This class is shaping up to be the best (or nearly so) of Dana's tenure. I think it will be the best when all is said and done. The 2013 class produced five draft picks. I'd take that out of our 2018 class.

Posted on: 12/19 1:07 pm

Suspected Punter
And Alex Williams has flipped to Ohio State. That hurt. I wish him well. I think he might play on Sundays in a few years.

Michigan offered CB prospect Vincent Gray yesterday. They have 3 CBs verballed and expected to sign tomorrow. He's a Michigan kid. Williams part 2 if the offer is real.

Dominique Harrison, the JUCO corner, is set to decide tomorrow. Us vs. Arizona State, where he is currently committed.

Not much else as far as drama goes. That is enough!

Posted on: 12/19 1:19 pm

Suspected Punter
I keep forgetting Cooke. I don't understand his recruitment. Unless he's iffy on grades. Big time athlete either offense or defense

Posted on: 12/19 2:12 pm

Suspected Punter
Early signing day is here!

Only two signed letters of intent verified and released by WVU so far:

Josh Chandler
Sam James

More to come

Posted on: 12/20 8:16 am

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 21 »