We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 2019 WVU Football Recruiting Thread
Suspected Punter
From Liverpool, PA
Quote:

jameschi wrote:
Holgerson has to learn how to recruit like Bob Huggins, get more than needed, bc in the end it all works out. It seems like every year we are short. 73 players vs. 85 we can have.
Instead of going for 85 go for 95 then due to attrition we will have 85 by opener. Huggins does this well in recruiting for hoops.

Tougher to do in football with the 25 max. limit a year. Takes a few years with not much attrition. I'm not sure but I don't think there is a limit on scholarships per year in basketball. I think you could bring in 12 new every year if you wanted to.

Posted on: 6/20 9:07 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Yep, the 25 max really would make it tougher.

Posted on: 6/20 3:45 pm

Pitt Hater
From Spartanburg, SC via Boone County WV
Quote:

peelwvu wrote:
He's one of the blueshirts I think. Is on scholarship but can't play at all. Kind of like a mandatory redshirt. I think his scholarship counts against next years class as well.

do you remember where you saw that at? what i saw listed the signed players, and players in morgantown, and there were 21 players, and apparently he wasnt on either list.. good if he is though

Posted on: 6/20 5:45 pm

Suspected Punter
From Liverpool, PA
https://wvuwire.com/2018/02/07/the-hig ... igning-day-in-morgantown/

This isn't where I saw it but says the same thing.

Tavis Lee and Jayce Rogers also blue shirts

Posted on: 6/20 7:47 pm

Suspected Punter
From Liverpool, PA
Quote:

jameschi wrote:
Yep, the 25 max really would make it tougher.

17 seniors by my count. We're already 10 scholarships down. So at best we'll be 2 short next year without any attrition or juniors going pro. More than likely we lose about 5 (just a guess) then we're down 7 unless we lose a bunch again.

17 juniors at the moment so we're in the same boat next year too. I think rarely are teams ever at full capacity but it's a big difference to be a couple short instead of 10.

Posted on: 6/20 7:58 pm

Makin' it Rain
From North Central, WV
Quote:

MichaelJLucasWV wrote:
maybe, but with open scholarships, and an inability to make them up, instead of eating them, why not offer kids in state who are getting offers elsewhere. you literally cant lose. even if they dont ever work out, and by past experience, some will, you still have bodies in camp, and goodwill in state.

Especially when an athletic TE body type can be utilized in other positions like FB, DE, or LB. lf a person is an all around good athlete, there is always more than one position option.

Posted on: 6/21 8:00 am

Makin' it Rain
From Eastern WV
We offered a couple of in state recruits. One is for 2021 though. https://247sports.com/college/west-vir ... New-WVU-Offers-119250815/

Posted on: 6/22 4:07 pm

Pitt Hater
A new 2019 commit today. Virginia offensive lineman Donovan Beaver.

Posted on: 6/24 12:31 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Dunedin FL
Quote:

92WVUGrad wrote:
A new 2019 commit today. Virginia offensive lineman Donovan Beaver.

https://westvirginia.rivals.com/news/commitment-101-donavan-beaver

Posted on: 6/24 5:50 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Dunedin FL
WVU's top QB target for the 2019 class picks Tennessee...

https://247sports.com/college/tennesse ... r-to-Tennessee-119388829/

Posted on: 6/27 11:58 am

Pitt Hater
After we curb stomp Tennessee in sept , the qb recruit from Ocala, Fla that just dissed us for UT will see the huge mistake he just made. I believe a 4 star d lineman pulled similar **** wearing a WVU hat at his announcement to take it off for a Vol hat. Looking forward to see If Tenn’s new coach can back up what he is selling or if Saban carried his Ass?!?! I believe it’s Jeremy Pruitt and the later of the two! . Let’s Go!!!!!!! Mountaineers!!!!!!!

Posted on: 6/27 9:42 pm

Suspected Punter
No loss IMO. If the guy said Central Florida was his second choice after offers from WVU, OSU and TAMU then he doesn't have the confidence to succeed in a quality program. He would rather be a piece of a program trying to rebuild so he can play and not be held accountable. Weak character and it is better to know now than latter.

Posted on: 6/27 10:05 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

helgramite wrote:
No loss IMO. If the guy said Central Florida was his second choice after offers from WVU, OSU and TAMU then he doesn't have the confidence to succeed in a quality program. He would rather be a piece of a program trying to rebuild so he can play and not be held accountable. Weak character and it is better to know now than latter.

The 2019 QB class is known to be pretty damn weak with no obvious game changers in it, so losing out on this cycle wouldn't hurt too bad, I could see us going the grad transfer route again after Grier leaves and possibly picking up another QB. Allison or Lowe should be our starter next year, which are two 4* QBs, just need to build some QB depth so we don't have another Chuganov situation.

Posted on: 6/28 7:54 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Dunedin FL
From WV Metro News:

"Rivals writer Keenan Cummings projects WVU remains hopeful of signing two quarterbacks in this class, though the pool of best-available high school prospects isn’t deep.

“This is really weak year nationally for quarterbacks — one of the worst in a long time,” Cummings said. “There’s only a handful of guys that are highly coveted. There’s not a lot of difference-makers. Even a guy like Maurer, I’m not sure he’s a difference-maker, but he’s a solid quarterback.”

“I think they probably take a junior college/transfer guy and maybe a developmental high school guy.”"

http://wvmetronews.com/2018/06/27/aft ... -quarterback-search-turn/

Posted on: 6/28 8:31 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Madison, AL
Quote:

helgramite wrote:

UCF is a trendy pick this year based on last year, but it will fade soon.

Posted on: 6/28 9:15 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Robertsdale,Al via parkersburg
Quote:

FL77Mounty wrote:
WVU's top QB target for the 2019 class picks Tennessee...

https://247sports.com/college/tennesse ... r-to-Tennessee-119388829/

Sure doesn't seem to be too humble in that article.

Posted on: 6/28 9:42 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Dunedin FL
Yeah, I got that, too...

Posted on: 6/29 12:24 pm

Pitt Hater
From Spartanburg, SC via Boone County WV

Posted on: 7/3 1:53 am

Suspected Punter
No idea why we haven't offered Strange for Parkersburg and Tyler Komorowski from Weir. Both can easily play here smh

Posted on: 7/8 11:47 am

Suspected Punter
No idea why we haven't offered Strange for Parkersburg and Tyler Komorowski from Weir. Both can easily play here smh

Strange knows the deal. He has to camp to get an offer. We aren't taking a TE this cycle, and if he wants to be offered at LB or any other position, he needs to come up to camp and work out. If he can't drive an hour and a half up to Morgantown to work out for an offer, he doesn't really want one all that badly. Simple as that.

I imagine the same deal goes for the kid from Weir.

From what I can tell, a scholarship offer to out-of-state kids is like an invitation to come work out. It's not immediately committable. We don't take a kid's commitment sight unseen. In this world of a 25-scholarship limit, it's a recipe for disaster.

With in-state kids, it's a different story. No one wants to see WVU offer 20 in-state kids when only 4 or 5 are good enough to earn a scholarship. So if we offer a kid, it is a real offer, not just an invitation. It might come with a "wait a month or two" but it is still real nonetheless. We can't recruit bodies with the limit; we have to recruit positions, either in the short-term future or long-term future. We don't need a TE this year. If Strange wants an offer, he knows the game - come camp. Kerry Martin earned his offer that way.

Posted on: 7/8 10:18 pm

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved