We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 ... 349 350 351 (352) 353 »

Re: Conference Armageddon: The Official Conference Speculation Thread
Here for the Beer
From Aberdeen, NC
I applaud the effort but damn that schedule is worse than any we've had before. Looks basketball centric. I think we're bigger picture than that.

Posted on: 4/6 10:43 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Alkol, Lincoln County
i've been saying that having a strictly geographicly-based conference/region system is the best way IF you also have a playoff in place. it leaves voters, espn/tv, las vegas, polls, and committees out of it.

the problem with the FBS is that it's currently 128 teams and growing to at least 131 in a few years compared to the 260 or so schools total in division 1. having bowls of 68+ teams out of 128 is severely watering down and looks like a lot of participation trophies, as opposed to the ncaa basketball tourney with 68 of 260 teams making it.

the way most playoffs(in wv) are on the high school level are based on regionals/sectionals, then to semi/quarterfinals. even the ncaa basketball tournament is like this.

if the FBS stays at 128+ teams, there should be such a system that should view all conferences/regions as equals. as it is right now, there is no way a mac, sun belt, mountain west, or c-usa champ will be in the 4 team playoff(or inevitably, an 8 team playoff).

anyway, here's my idea. again.

*all conference/region champions would have a shot at the national championship.--that would require there only being 8 conferences of 16 members each, so there's going to have to be some conference merging of some sort going on.

*start the season a week earlier, roughly on august 25th, and go 13 weeks-including a bye, so the last game of the regular season should be november 17th with that calender.

*the conference championship games(the football sweet 16) would be the following week on nov. 24th, and the first week of playoffs(elite 8) would be on dec. 1st.

*the number of bowls would knocked down to 20. 12 bowls would happen every year, while the other 8 would rotate in and out.(8 win requirement to be bowl eligible.) bowls start dec. 26th.

*the elite 8 games could be set regionally every year, so teams aren't handicapped as much if it were a set up by rankings. something like west vs. pacific, north vs. midwest, east vs. atlantic, south vs. southeast.

*the semi-finals/final 4, would be on new years eve/day using a rotation of the new years 6 bowls(rose, cotton, fiesta, peach, orange, sugar), and the national championship would be jan 8th.

using 2016, here would've been the elite 8: san diego st.(west) vs. washington(pacific), western michigan(north) vs. penn state(midwest), temple(east) vs. clemson(atlantic), oklahoma(south) vs. alabama(southeast). final 4: washington, penn state, clemson, and alabama. matchups in the final 4 would be decided by the 2 host bowls. the rose would pick washington and/or penn state, the orange would pick clemson, sugar would pick alabama, etc.

(my own more radical idea; why not split division 1 into 3 separate subdivisions instead of 2, move most c-usa, mac, sunbelt teams down, and move the best FCS teams up into the second divison. the top division would be 80 or so teams, and the other 2 divisons would be 90 or so members each.)

Posted on: 4/7 2:03 am

Pitt Hater
From Athens GA
The problem is too many teams that don't belong, that are in it just for the money. We need reclassification to thin the herd.

Posted on: 4/7 7:16 am

From Alkol, Lincoln County
the reclassification would solve that. keep all of the power 5 schools + notre dame, boise state, northern illinois, southern miss, hawaii, east carolina, nevada, colorado state, army, navy, south florida, central florida, houston, temple, cincinnati, and fresno state. that's 80. all of the other FBS teams, along with the bigger and better FCS teams like montana, delaware st., youngstown st. move to the new 'middle' division.

Posted on: 4/7 11:47 am

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
https://www.si.com/college-football/20 ... /nfl-draft-big-12-georgia

At this point these articles make me laugh, really don't care anymore at this point. Everyone keeps talking about if Texas gets back to being Texas then the Big 12 will be okay. But I really don't care, I hope Texas keeps on sucking. To be honest the Big 12 is in just as bad shape as the Big East was but prob. worse. At least with Big East you had East coast bias with the writers.
WVU has at least 8 years left in Big 12, if it blows up after that than so be it. Worst case scenario WVU ends up in American and dominates like Houston. Prob. end up playing Pitt, VTU, Maryland, Cuse, every year too.

Posted on: 5/6 2:11 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From RT. 50
The Big 12 will be fine the fact that Texas is the controlling factor of all big 12 decisions kinda pisses me off though

Posted on: 5/7 10:52 am

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
This wouldn't help WVU's schedule and travel, but what if after Pac 12's GOR expires on 2023, Colorado gets an invite back to Big 12, and BYU is the 12th team. This would probably be acceptable to ESPN, Fox and continue high payouts, versus say Houston, Cincy, Uconn, South Florida.

http://www.thepostgame.com/college-fo ... o-pac-12-big-12-expansion

Posted on: 6/17 10:49 pm

Pitt Hater
From North Central, WV
I think Colorado making their way back to the B12 would be a good thing for the conference. Them and BYU would definitely pass the eye test, and squash any talk of watering down the conference. Though I think if USF was given a chance could build a more competitive football program than Colorado.

Posted on: 6/18 12:23 am

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Right, if money wasn't involved, I would take Cincy, UConn, South Florida, and UCF to for Big 12 East.

Posted on: 6/18 8:57 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
You realize that link is from a year ago?

In general I am all for B12 attempting to poach the PAC in 2022/2023, but so much can happen between now and then. It's foolish to speculate 7 years out, let alone 2017/2018

Posted on: 6/18 7:12 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Springfield
Quote:

brobison wrote:
Quote:

wvudrew wrote:
I actually think the Big 12 is in a very good position with TV contracts expiring in 2024. I know everyone sees this as the event that will trigger the implosion of the Big 12, but I disagree for one main reason.

We are about to go through a major change in the way sports are watched. Fox, Disney, and CBS will no longer hold an oligopoly on football rights. New online competitors such as Apple TV, Netflix, YouTube, and Amazon are entering the market, and very soon, we will be streaming football on the internet, rather than sticking to traditional tv viewing schedules.

This means that when our tv contracts end in 2024, there will be more competitors bidding for our rights. This puts the Big XII in a much better position, then say the ACC, which is locked in their contracts until the 2030s.

Seems like perfect timing for our contracts to expire, as these new providers will be in full swing by then.

There are probably 100 different ways of looking at this, but to be concerned about contracts expiring 7+ years from now, knowing the game is about to change, just doesn't seem right. I'm betting on WVU coming out just fine.

How is that de-centralization of content supply working out for the music industry? Not well.

Open in new window

$71 per capita in 2000 to $26 today. While I don't deny that access and distribution won't be more widespread I don't think that this adds to the pot of money. I actually see it going the other way.

While you have to remember that while it would seem that more people bidding on the same product would help revenue the problem is that with all of the competition no one will want to spend much money on any individual item as for every potential watcher there will be hundreds of thousands of potential shows to watch.

The hardcore fan of a team will definitely watch. The people you NEED to get for a good amount of money is the casual observer. The casual observer now will watch, say, Texas/Oklahoma or Oklahoma State/WVU or WVU/Pitt because they have a history and they want something to watch. But the fact is when I have potentially thousands of channels to watch something on another channel will trump the football game.

I am not as optimistic about this future from the standpoint of being GOOD for the athletic department. I agree with the "WVU will be fine" argument. I just think all college football will suffer.

Well let's not blame it on decentralization. It's been a pretty good thing for me anyway.
Open in new window

Posted on: 6/18 8:33 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:

jameschi wrote:
This wouldn't help WVU's schedule and travel, but what if after Pac 12's GOR expires on 2023, Colorado gets an invite back to Big 12, and BYU is the 12th team. This would probably be acceptable to ESPN, Fox and continue high payouts, versus say Houston, Cincy, Uconn, South Florida.

I firmly believe a Pac 12 team would never leave the conference for the Big 12.

BUT in a scenario Colorado would come back, I would hope the Big 12 goes after Arizona State. That is a school that is a sleeping giant – large student body/alumni base, big market, lots of money. If they get rid of Todd Graham after this year and bring in a solid coach, watch out.

I still think WVU, Louisville, TCU and BYU should have been added for a 12-team conference back in 2012. But Colorado and Arizona State would be good additions (but unlikely).

Posted on: 6/19 7:06 am

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Quote:

WVUswim wrote:
You realize that link is from a year ago?

In general I am all for B12 attempting to poach the PAC in 2022/2023, but so much can happen between now and then. It's foolish to speculate 7 years out, let alone 2017/2018

Has the situation gotten better in Pac 12 from a year ago?
But I do agree it is too early to speculate, but it is summer and slow.

Posted on: 6/19 7:46 am

Makin' it Rain
From Canonsburg, PA
Quote:

GONZOeer wrote:
Quote:

jameschi wrote:

I firmly believe a Pac 12 team would never leave the conference for the Big 12.

BUT in a scenario Colorado would come back, I would hope the Big 12 goes after Arizona State. That is a school that is a sleeping giant – large student body/alumni base, big market, lots of money. If they get rid of Todd Graham after this year and bring in a solid coach, watch out.

I still think WVU, Louisville, TCU and BYU should have been added for a 12-team conference back in 2012. But Colorado and Arizona State would be good additions (but unlikely).

I agree with you GONZOeer.

I will take it further. There is no AD that will leave another of the Power 4 conferences for the Big 12. Any AD that would consider that would be fired by their president long before they could pull the trigger.

At the very least you have to give me these facts:

1. The Big 12 has been far from stable over the last 20 years.

When was the last time that the SEC, PAC or Big 10 been rumored to collapse. For the Big 12 those rumors are almost yearly.

2. It is the youngest of the Power 5 conferences.

3. It has far and away LOST WAY more members than anyone else.

ACC has lost Maryland to the Big 10.

SEC has lost no one since 1966...They did lose Georgia Tech to the ACC, Tulane to who knows where and Suwanee to irrelevancy in 1940. It is safe to say no one in the SEC is clamoring for the door.

Big 10 - has lost the University of Chicago in 1946. Safe to say that the Big 10 hasn't lost any one.

Pac 12 - They lost the University of Idaho and the University of Montana in 1950 and 1959 respectively.

Now let's look at the Big 12.

They have lost:

Colorado
Nebraska
Texas A&M
Missouri

All of these in the last 10 years.

One would be insane to leave any of the other Power conferences to join the Big 12. At the same time, it appears that there is no way that there are two more schools in the rest of the non-Power 5 that could be added to the Big 12 to get to 12.

As a result we get to watch a 100% chance of a rematch for our conference title game when the selection committee has proven that it isn't even important to win the conference Championship or even to win your conference division to be included into the playoffs.

I am going to hate this December's Big 12 championship game!

EDIT: I forgot South Carolina leaving the ACC to go to the SEC

Posted on: 6/19 9:26 am

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
Here's what should happen.

WVU & ND to the ACC
OU and KU to the Big10
UT and OSU to the SEC
TCU, TT, KSU and ISU to the Pac12

Send Baylor to the MWC.

Posted on: 6/19 9:53 am

Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:

WVisHome wrote:
Here's what should happen.

WVU & ND to the ACC
OU and KU to the Big10
UT and OSU to the SEC
TCU, TT, KSU and ISU to the Pac12

Send Baylor to the MWC.

That would work, but I think it gets more complicated than that.

- I think OU and KU would be solidly in the Big Ten.

- I actually think Texas could make its way west (Austin is the liberal hub of Texas and would fit in well with some of the left coast schools) in the Pac 12. Tech would probably tag along with two others (TCU and Baylor are out as faith based schools). Maybe OK State and Kansas State.

- I think the SEC has its eyes set on two states: North Carolina and Virginia. I could see the ACC lose Virginia Tech and NC State.

- The ACC would be in a scramble for teams. Notre Dame's hand would be forced. ACC would hold their nose and take WVU. They would add two other teams. Likely UConn and Cincinnati. I don't know if the ACC would go after Iowa State or a Texas school.

- Anyone left out is screwed and gets a spot in MWC or AAC.

That is the scenario I hope happens if this all picks up If any of the Big 12 teams take a spot in the ACC or SEC, it is one less landing spot.

Posted on: 6/19 10:03 am

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Agreed, Big 12 is obviously the least stable, but it does have two brand names, versus just USC for PAC 12. If say by 2023 the pay out is $10 million greater not including Tier 3 over Pac 12, then you never know. Money seems to be driving everything.
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/05/18 ... real-and-its-spectacular/

http://www.foxsports.com/college-foot ... our-tier-hierarchy-052517

Posted on: 6/19 12:42 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

jameschi wrote:
Agreed, Big 12 is obviously the least stable, but it does have two brand names, versus just USC for PAC 12. If say by 2023 the pay out is $10 million greater not including Tier 3 over Pac 12, then you never know. Money seems to be driving everything.
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/05/18 ... real-and-its-spectacular/

http://www.foxsports.com/college-foot ... our-tier-hierarchy-052517

If come 2022 the PAC is still heomoraging cash and the B12 is taking in cash there is one of three outcomes:

1. OU/Texas is another B12 team has won a title or two, and the cash continues to flow. Any incentive for UT or OU to leave would be gone and they stay. The most likely school to leave in that scenario would be us if the ACC or SEC (most likely ACC with ND) came calling. The B12 is the easiest path to a title, especially if OU and Texas get rolling again or the playoff expands to 8 teams with auto-bids. This is best scenario for us, either in finding permanent peace in the B12 or being called to another P5 league
2. The B12 sucks with few playoff appearances. In this scenario UT and OU leave and we are begging to be taken with them or get into another league on our own. IMO this is a worst case for WVu and other like us such as OSU and TCU
3. The B12 and PAC continue to tread water with no titles but B12 taking money and PAC losing money. There is a possibility depending on the TV landscape and health of ESPN and Fox that the B12/PAC merge in some way for football only with the champions of each division playing a title game alternating between LA and Dallas. Basically there would have to be a reconfiguration of scheduling to allow for divisional round robin, with some inter-league play to get juicy OOC matchups like USC/Texas. One forced OOC per year, make it like the B12/SEC basketball game. Maybe in October everyone crosses over and a few PAC teams play someone from a lower league. This would harm us in limiting opportunities to play Pitt/PSU/VT but is desirable compared to being left in a league with the remaining B12 schools and BYU+ECU+Navy

Could play out in any of these ways or in unforeseen ways. So many variables including financial health of ESPN and Fox. I think things will remain quiet till 2020 or so and the health of the PAC/B13 can be reevaluated along with ESPN/Fox. We will know a lot in 2020

Posted on: 6/19 2:47 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
In my scenario with the merger and combining of TV deal the schedule would be easier for the B12 schools then the PAC. Little would change except for forced OOC scheduling. The PAC would be much more difficult. They would have to scrap divisions and have some rolling yearly schedule and USC would have a hard time still playing ND. Their saving grace is BYU is always looking for P5 opponents so that would help one school there anually play someone at least respectable, but the big monkey wrench there is BYU and Utah play anually so Utah would have to be included every year in the PAC/B12 challenge. Still doable, but leaves one school, probably WSU or OSU or Colorado hurting for some lightweight if BYU is occupied with the other neglected PAC school. USC would have to be included in this for the networks to bite and have any sec appeal, regardless of their rivalry with ND. I also think ND will be forced into the ACC as scheduling becomes more difficult for them. Again not desirable to anyone and probably only a temporary fix but if both league struggle this may be the only way to stay relevant

Posted on: 6/19 3:01 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Robertsdale,Al via parkersburg

brobison wrote:
Quote:

EDIT: I forgot South Carolina leaving the ACC to go to the SEC

South Carolina was never in the ACC, they were Major Independent when the were invited to the SEC.

Posted on: 6/19 9:06 pm

« 1 ... 349 350 351 (352) 353 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved