Re: Baseball 2017
WMITC
From Here
We're on our 5th pitcher in the 8th.

Posted on: 4/15 5:49 pm

WMITC
From Here
5 walks and HBP so far in top 8 and 4 of them have scored. TCU up 7-6 and still batting.

Edit: 5 runs, 2 hits, 5 walks, 1 hit batter, 1 error.

First the wheels came off, then they rolled away. We used 6 pitchers in the inning.

Posted on: 4/15 6:02 pm

Pitt Hater
From austin, tx
Very disappointing loss (to 2nd or 3rd ranked team), but I thought I heard all-time attendance record.

Posted on: 4/15 6:57 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

WMITC
From Here
Wow. Talk about turning the tables. We walk off a win with 4 walks and a hit batsman. Take 2 of 3 from the #3 team in the nation.

Posted on: 4/16 2:58 pm

Pitt Hater
From Halifax, VA
It could have and should have been a sweep!1 Still a good weekend.

Posted on: 4/16 4:46 pm

WMITC
From Here
They lost a lead in every game, but came back to win twice.

Sometimes they play like a young team, which is normal considering there are 35 players on the roster and 29 are freshmen or sophomores (only 4 juniors and 2 seniors).

TCU by comparison has 14 upperclassmen.

Posted on: 4/17 7:55 am

Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
WVU is now ranked No. 21 by Baseball America.

I read on another site this is the first time WVU has cracked the top 25. Don't know if that is true or not but I can't remember seeing Mountaineer baseball ranked.

Posted on: 4/17 10:40 am

Party Machine
From Dunedin FL
AS I have only followed the baseball team from afar (literally and figuratively), how much of this baseball improvement would Couchers who follow the team attribute to Big 12 affiliation, and how much to Mazey?

Posted on: 4/17 10:56 am

WMITC
From Here
Quote:

FL77Mounty wrote:
AS I have only followed the baseball team from afar (literally and figuratively), how much of this baseball improvement would Couchers who follow the team attribute to Big 12 affiliation, and how much to Mazey?

It's a lot of things, but I'd give most of the credit to Mazey. He came in from a successful program (TCU), knew what he needed to win in the conference (he said it was pitching mainly) and had an immediate impact.

Also, credit Oliver Luck, who wanted an upgrade in baseball, went out and got Mazey and had the creativity to get that new stadium built.

Playing in the Big 12 has helped, too, because we're getting some Texas players (9 on current roster) and better overall recruiting.

Posted on: 4/17 11:17 am

Party Machine
From Barboursville, WV
Greg Van Zant...some people loved him, some people hated him. He was a very divisive character. Pat White couldn't play ball for him and said that he was the wrong color to play baseball for WVU. Pretty strong stuff there...

Mazey has been a breath of fresh air at just the right time for WVU. He has benefitted from all of the things that came together but he is also the one who made it translate into success. Right person, right time.

Posted on: 4/17 9:28 pm

Pitt Hater
From austin, tx
WVU is getting noticed in the Big 12. I started to tell a friend, a big Tech fan, about the Sunday TCU game, and he already knew all about it -- "2 runs without putting the ball into play."

Posted on: 4/18 11:34 am

From Charlottesville, Virginia
Quote:

Sane wrote:
Quote:

FL77Mounty wrote:

It's a lot of things, but I'd give most of the credit to Mazey. He came in from a successful program (TCU), knew what he needed to win in the conference (he said it was pitching mainly) and had an immediate impact.

Also, credit Oliver Luck, who wanted an upgrade in baseball, went out and got Mazey and had the creativity to get that new stadium built.

Playing in the Big 12 has helped, too, because we're getting some Texas players (9 on current roster) and better overall recruiting.

I thought that the Big12 required WVU to upgrade its facilities in other programs to make them more competitive. IIRC, the baseball stadium meets one of those requirements. Certainly Mazey deserves credit, but if you consider the increased revenue, the quality of competition, and the other aspects associated with Big12 membership, I think the baseball program is still a second tier program playing on an intramural field with no locker room, regardless of who is coaching, without the move to the Big12. With that being said, I think Mazey is fantastic and hope he stays for a long time.

Posted on: 4/18 2:56 pm

Pitt Hater
I had a change in my feeling abought Van after a local boy went to WVU. The young man said they had 7 scholarships to hand out when you need a whole lot more. Even at that there were 7 players competing JUST for second base.
Short and sweet Van did so much with what he had with very little credit. I love what Mazey is doing with the team BUT, he is working with a lot more.

Posted on: 4/20 5:31 pm

Pitt Hater
From Indianapolis,IN via Somerset, PA
Randy Mazey ia a great baseball coach whom we are very fortunate to have. I'm still almost in disbelief that one of the major programs has not snatched him up by now. His father, the late Forest Mazey, was also great.

Posted on: 4/21 6:30 am

Here for the Beer
From Charlie West
Quote:

Meager wrote:
Randy Mazey ia a great baseball coach whom we are very fortunate to have. I'm still almost in disbelief that one of the major programs has not snatched him up by now. His father, the late Forest Mazey, was also great.

I'm not surprised that he's still here. While he's provided consistent improvement, we still haven't made it to the post season. Hopefully that'll change this year and hopefully he chooses to build a dynasty here.

Posted on: 4/21 7:34 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Mobile, AL
We ate in a big league conference. Pay him competitively and keep the facilities up and i tjiml he'll stay as long as the team keeps improving, and it looks like it will.

Posted on: 4/21 8:44 am

Pitt Hater
From austin, tx
My Tech friend says K State cheats in baseball. The height of the pitching mound in the bullpen is considerably different from the height in the field. It takes pitchers a few batters to adjust to the difference.

Posted on: 4/21 6:25 pm

Re: Baseball 2017 _ K State
Pitt Hater
From austin, tx
K State going with its best pitcher. He held TCU scoreless for 7 innings. They lost in the 11th inning. He also won at OSU, for their 1st win in Big 12. He may also have pitched in their win against Texas Tech.

Posted on: 4/21 7:06 pm

WMITC
From Here
Didn't help. We win.

Posted on: 4/21 9:59 pm

Pitt Hater
From austin, tx
WVU was credited with 5 steals in the 4-run 8th -- two wild pitches with 2 on accounted for 4 of them. Fittingly, K State's final out was a WVU player caught stealing. 5 for 6 ain't bad.

Posted on: 4/22 2:20 am

« 1 (2) 3 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved