We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

Examples of how regulations make health care cost more.
Makin' it Rain
From Orlando
Take a nice little bottle of beta blocker, used to bust blood clots. Most of the time during or right after a hart attack. That little bottle costs 1500 dollars. But good news, it is a 50ml vile, the max dose that can be given is 12 ml, most of the time it is given 6ml at a time.

But due to government regulations, once the hospital uses that vile on some one, It can be used on no one else. No keep in mind, The max dose over 3 days in 12 ml. Do to the fact if you took to much you would start to bleed out. Also, med's like food, have a self life. After 3 days, the drug is just like food, is trowen out due to the fact it may not work as it should.

So all most any time some one is given this life saving drug, they end up wasting 38ml's of it. Leaving the cost on the hospital, which it passes on to you.

Why not package it small sizes? Because the FDA has to approve the packaging. To do such the FDA requires a full scientific studies, which costs millions of not billions to the drug maker. Leaving the company unwilling to change something as simple as the was it is packaged.

Why is this so important, It is not just the cost of it, it is the fact that if there is a spike in say a 10 hart attacks in one day, that means the hospital uses 10 bottles in one day, making micro shortages.

We are also starting to see this with Chemo tretmeans as well.

Posted on: 2/17/2012 5:37 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Examples of how regulations make health care cost more.
Here for the Beer
Dude, nobody is listening! Government is the only thing that can save us from ourselves, all you have to do for that privilege is PAY UP!!!!

Posted on: 2/17/2012 5:42 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Orlando
I hope not, The same government that respond to Katrina? The same government that miss forecaster this years debt by 138%? (took a swing a the right and the left just to be fair.)

"It's time to stop thinking left and right, and use your head, after all it's in the middle and far smarter than your hands " Ron Paul

Posted on: 2/17/2012 5:54 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Orlando
So why dos it cost so much just to be in the hospital, on average it costs 1200 dollars just to be in the hospital for one day.

Now, I am sure there is more than one, but this is one i have first hand knowledge of. Medicare payments are now at 100% review status, With medicaid at 10% as they work on the system , The medicaid program should have been at 100% review as of Jan 1, 2012. But as always they are behind.

So how dos Medicare/medicaid review work? The hole idea is to save money! GRATE!! Ok, grate idea, but as always the government found a way to screw up saving too.

Any person with Medicare/medicaid can get the treetment they need, Medicare/medicaid makes payments on set dates for all of the treat ment that was given in set number of days. So For Jan 1 to March 30, they get payed on July 5. Just to give you a idea how it works.(BTW Medicare/medicaid also sets it own price)

Now at the point the charts are handed off to a company that reviews them. That company looks for criteria to see if they care given was truly needed. At that point the company is payed 5% of the amount that case. The government now deducts the amount from future payments. There is a way for the hospitals to fight the ruling, in most cases it is over turned, around 60-70%. But even if the case is over turned the reviewing company keeps the 5%. The over turn usaly takes around a year, and takes many people to fight, only adding to the cost.

Now with all this trouple, Why would doctors take Medicare/medicaid? No worries, the government fixed that too. Due to regulations, Hospitals are now forced to pay doctors regardless of weather the hospital gets payed or not. Now if the government feels that the treatment was not needed, and thusly the hospital should not be payed, Why should the doctor that told them to do the treatment get payed?

So if the hospital is losing money on Medicare/medicaid pay outs, Who do you think picks up the tab?

This is the story that was told to me,

A man comes in with his chest hurting,
The Er doc runs all the tests
They come back negitive
The doc can tell something is wrong
So he addmits him to keep a eye on him
2 day's later the man has a massive hart attack
The man makes it out ok,
Needs to have a pacemaker put it.

Total bill being around 60k (keep in mind the numbers are not to short handed it would be more i would think.

So Medicare/medicaid makes it's payment, the case is reviewed. The man did not meet crtirea to be admitted on day one, So the government takes back the money it payed for the hole deal. hospital fights it for 2 years to get it's money back, they win, and now have spent 20k or more to just get the money back they had in the first place.

BTW, pase maker, cheapest one on the market, 15k not including putting it in, How much dos Medicare/medicaid pay including putting it in.. 10k. But is required to put it in.

Posted on: 2/17/2012 6:20 pm

Makin' it Rain
From durham, nc

Posted on: 3/19/2012 7:28 pm

~Abraham Lincoln

Makin' it Rain
From Orlando
Nice to know, I would like to point out that this thread was not attacking Obama, After all the polices i am refering to were passted back in the mid 90's, some under bush some under Clinton.

I think it is grate that the seniors saved 2.16 billions. My question is if they saved the 2.16 billion, ware did the savings come from? Did the Fed gover pay for it? Did the companies cut there prices?

But how ever i am vary happy that you are admitting that Obama polices have had time to take affect. After all if Obama is responsible for this, he would also be responsible for the state of the economy and such.

Posted on: 3/20/2012 9:00 pm

Makin' it Rain
From durham, nc
Old (2010)...but if you really try then you might grasp that he didn't start at zero.

Open in new window

Posted on: 3/20/2012 9:19 pm

~Abraham Lincoln

Makin' it Rain
From Orlando
Wow, look lots of numbers.. bight color.. pretty!! Oh wait? It don't tell you what it is graphing!?!?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2 ... -record-deficit-february/

thanks Obama!

Posted on: 3/20/2012 9:25 pm

Makin' it Rain
From durham, nc
Quote:

Billhilly wrote:
Wow, look lots of numbers.. bight color.. pretty!! Oh wait? It don't tell you what it is graphing!?!?

Graph tutorial:

See the left side of the picture? It says "Jobs Lost". As the pretty lines get longer in a downward direction it indicates more jobs being lost. When the lines go up it is an indication of adding jobs. There are numbers there as well to show how many jobs.

See the bottom of the graph? Those are dates. Starting from the left you have the Bush years. Then in about the middle (hint: the color of the bars change), those are the Obama years so far.

If you still think that the graph doesn't tell us what it is graphing, try staying at a Holiday Inn Express.

Posted on: 3/24/2012 3:57 pm

~Abraham Lincoln

Pitt Hater
From Richmond,Va
eer 4 the beer...if someone can confuse the meaning of this clearly marked applicable graph, then anything may be possible in this world. Republicans cannot deal with the fact that torture boy was a horrendous president in terms of job creation, as this graph clearly illustrates. The GOP is beyond screwed once Obama continues to bring up the 600-700 thousand jobs lost per month under Bush at the end, compared to the past 21 months of actual growth. The only recourse they have is what Rush Limbaugh has already been doing, saying the job numbers are lies.

Posted on: 3/24/2012 4:23 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Orlando
Haha, Voted kerry, not bush so your wrong there, yes sorry did see the gray on white my bad clearly shows how dumb i am!

The job numbers are not lies, but the fact that we are still not making even enoughf jobs to cover populasion growth is a fact. You need between 180k to 400k jobs per month just to brake even, if 8.5 (real rate for 18%) is ok with you, thin guess your right

Posted on: 3/24/2012 4:28 pm

Pitt Hater
From Richmond,Va
WHAT ?? You voted for Kerry ? Either that's not true or you had a serious change of attitude, even before our half black Muslim president tried to take you out via vehicular manslaughter.

Posted on: 3/24/2012 4:40 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Orlando
Yes i voted Kerry, I was 18.

Posted on: 3/24/2012 4:42 pm

Makin' it Rain
From durham, nc
Quote:

Billhilly wrote:
Yes i voted Kerry, I was 18.

What was the motivation behind this decision?

Posted on: 3/24/2012 4:57 pm

~Abraham Lincoln

Makin' it Rain
From Orlando
Goodnuess that was what 8 years ago, but i remmber liking his hole Spending idea, like the hole idea of better roads and such. Bet you really ship out when you find out i voted for Obama too.

Posted on: 3/24/2012 5:02 pm

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved