We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

Billy Hahn article (Yahoo Sports)
WMITC
From Eastern Panhandle, WV
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketba ... h_billy_hahn_quest_040512

Billy Hahn, a self-proclaimed ‘dinosaur’ of a coach, wants one more chance to be a full-time assistant
Les Carpenter

Quote:

NEW ORLEANS – The lobby of the Hilton Riverside has all the warmth of an Applebee’s, with a lily-pad bar, dinging elevators and a statue of a trumpet player that seems to jump from the ferns if you glance the wrong way. But it is close to the convention center and even closer to the French Quarter, which makes it the ideal place for college basketball’s coaches to make it their headquarters during the Final Four.

And on the day before this season’s national semifinals, the Hilton lobby is clogged with opportunists and schemers, clad in double-knit golf shirts, school logos embroidered on the chest – all of them listening for rumors of jobs, looking to grab the next rung, anything that will keep them climbing. Billy Hahn hides behind them. He isn’t wearing a logo but rather a white dress shirt and blue shorts. His hair is slicked back. When he talks, his voice has the scratch of so many nights spent shouting on the sidelines.

Unlike other men here, Billy Hahn isn’t looking for the next rung up. He is looking for a job.

He doesn’t advertise this because he has a job, a good one in fact, on Bob Huggins’ staff at West Virginia. The problem is that his job is in basketball operations, which means it has limitations on how much actual coaching he can do. And all Billy Hahn knows how to do is coach.

Rest of article at link.

Great read.

Posted on: 4/5/2012 1:57 pm

Re: Billy Hahn article (Yahoo Sports)
Makin' it Rain
From West By God
This is a great read, it is a shame not a lot of people outside of WVU or those that coach with Huggs truley know the true Huggs. This article does a great job of showing who Huggs really is as a person, truly a guy that would give his shirt of his back for someone.

Posted on: 4/5/2012 2:57 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Originally, Lester WV, now, Richmond, "East" Virginia
Interesting read. I knew that Billy Hahn was not successful as a head coach, but I did not know the circumstances of his dismissal from LaSalle. It looks like to me he made the best of his opportunity with WVU and has been a valued member of the staff. It's too bad that he wants to leave, but I understand why he wants to leave.

Posted on: 4/5/2012 3:14 pm

From Danville, KY
Great read! Thanks for posting.

Posted on: 4/5/2012 5:10 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Parkersburg, WV
I remember when his duties changed last year and wondered if he was butting heads with Huggs or the players or if he had family issues needing him to be closer. They didn't explain the change much, but I thought it seemed like a demotion with a promotion in title only.

Makes me wonder the story behind the story. Not implying anything sordid, just wonder what is the deal.

Posted on: 4/5/2012 7:04 pm

Ingest Feces Pittsburgh!
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Grant Ave. Warrior
From charleston, wv
Well, he was in charge of recruiting for the most part until this change last year. I almost wonder if it was because of some of the idiots that were brought in. Not saying it was all him, but I think he was in charge of evaluating the talent more so then anyone else.

Dan Jennings, dalton pepper, cottrill, I don't recall right off if there was someone else or not though.

Posted on: 4/6/2012 8:44 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Deadwood, SD
Quote:

DREW4WVU wrote:
Well, he was in charge of recruiting for the most part until this change last year. I almost wonder if it was because of some of the idiots that were brought in. Not saying it was all him, but I think he was in charge of evaluating the talent more so then anyone else.

Dan Jennings, dalton pepper, cottrill, I don't recall right off if there was someone else or not though.

+1.

The change in his job was ALL about recruiting.

Posted on: 4/6/2012 10:51 am

IRS to Taxpayer: "How's 20 years sound???"

Party Machine
From NJ - WV - CA
Quote:

DREW4WVU wrote:

Dalton Pepper transferred to be closer to his sick father, If Huggs didn't offer Cottrill a ship the state of WV would have been up in arms, they built him up to be the next coming of Jerry West...I'll give you Jennings, but relax with the "all the idiots he brought in" comment...Billy's the best!

Posted on: 4/6/2012 10:56 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Parkersburg, WV
Quote:

TheMac wrote:
Quote:

DREW4WVU wrote:

Dalton Pepper transferred to be closer to his sick father, If Huggs didn't offer Cottrill a ship the state of WV would have been up in arms, they built him up to be the next coming of Jerry West...I'll give you Jennings, but relax with the "all the idiots he brought in" comment...Billy's the best!

I agree with you about Pepper, Cottril and Jennings, but his exact quote was "I almost wonder if it was because of some of the idiots that were brought in." he was speculating which my post invited speculation or knowledge from Couchers.

Not all and not he and it was a question, not a condemnation.

If Huggs wanted him to stay on in his old capacity, now that the kids are a year older (reason given was that his experience was needed closer to home with all the youth) he could shift him back. Sounds like a performance issue of some sort. Purely speculation on my part.

Posted on: 4/6/2012 11:10 am

Ingest Feces Pittsburgh!

Pitt Hater
From Buckhannon, WV
didn't hahn recruit ab? he has a big presence in the philly area.

Posted on: 4/6/2012 12:00 pm

Pitt Hater
From Brooklyn, NY
hmmm didn't know why Hahn was released from La Salle. Should we give him a pass for not reporting a girl coming to him about rape? Whether or not it happened, or that she told him not to tell...If some girl came to you and told you she was raped by people you knew would you not do something about it?

I think that actually lowered my opinion of him

Posted on: 4/6/2012 12:35 pm

Pitt Hater
From Charlottesville, VA
What doesn't jive is that Huggs wanted him back to support all the young players, but if you read the limitations on the Dir of Ops, they can't recruit, can't be on the floor during practice and can't work with the kids. Somewhere there seems to be a concern, but Huggs didn't want to do him in, so he changed chess pieces and moved on.

Posted on: 4/6/2012 12:57 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Originally, Lester WV, now, Richmond, "East" Virginia
Is it possible that Huggs changed Hahn's job so that he would not lose Jarrod Calhoun?

Posted on: 4/6/2012 1:19 pm

Pitt Hater
From Buckhannon, WV
Calhoun is gone, he's taking the fairmont state job

Posted on: 4/6/2012 2:09 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From charleston, wv
Also, David Nyarsuk was another rocket scientist that never qualified.

Posted on: 4/6/2012 4:32 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Parkersburg, WV
Maybe he has gotten tired of Billy borrowing all his mock turtleneck shirts and never returning them.

Posted on: 4/7/2012 3:48 pm

Ingest Feces Pittsburgh!

Anonymous
Account_DeletedAnonymous
Coach Hahn is a class act. I'd like to relate a story. I had a family member (a niece) who was a patient at the cancer ward at Ruby Memorial. We happened to meet Coach Hahn's daughter, who was there visiting her mother Kathi. She was also a patient. She insisted that we come and meet her mom. We did, and visited with her for awhile. They are great people. My niece told her how much she loved WVU basketball. We exchanged contact information, and later, she said that Coach Hahn would be sending something to my niece after the Big East tournament was over. It turned out to be a poster and a basketball that was signed by all the WVU players. We had a VERY good season that year and a very good team. That was a really nice thing that he took the time to do and I know that I appreciate it very much. In my book, the Hahn family are first rate people. I wish them nothing but the best.

Posted on: 4/10/2012 6:40 am

WMITC
From Boone County, WV
I don't guess that I had realized Hahn had a different role this year than in past years. He has been such a fixture of the Huggins Era that it is odd to think of him doing anything but sitting beside of Huggs on the bench.

Posted on: 4/10/2012 5:19 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From charleston, wv
Quote:

wvman75 wrote:
Coach Hahn is a class act. I'd like to relate a story. I had a family member (a niece) who was a patient at the cancer ward at Ruby Memorial. We happened to meet Coach Hahn's daughter, who was there visiting her mother Kathi. She was also a patient. She insisted that we come and meet her mom. We did, and visited with her for awhile. They are great people. My niece told her how much she loved WVU basketball. We exchanged contact information, and later, she said that Coach Hahn would be sending something to my niece after the Big East tournament was over. It turned out to be a poster and a basketball that was signed by all the WVU players. We had a VERY good season that year and a very good team. That was a really nice thing that he took the time to do and I know that I appreciate it very much. In my book, the Hahn family are first rate people. I wish them nothing but the best.

That's some good stuff right there!!

Posted on: 4/12/2012 9:51 am

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved