We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

(1) 2 3 »

QB's next year
Here for the Beer
When was the last time we had a season, that we didn't know who the starter was going to be?

Some coaches announce the starter early and some wait until the first game.

I think Holgerson likes competition and will let them compete all the way up to the first game. I hope not past that point. I hope we don't play two next year, but

If Childress were to beat out Millard during spring ball, Is there a chance Millard transfers out and we are left with one QB.

Millard has a redshirt year, if he wanted to go somewhere else.

Oh yeh, last time we didn't know who the QB was going to be, was Bednarik and Pat White. I think Rich was going to platoon them until Bednarik got hurt.

Posted on: 12/4/2012 4:55 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: QB's next year
Pitt Hater
From Charleston, WV
I feel pretty confident that it will be Ford.
As far as Millard is concerned; I doubt he'll leave. He'd only have a year of eligibility unless he left for a FCS school.
Also, I think we have a QB recruit coming in this year too; don't we?

Posted on: 12/4/2012 5:11 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Charlottesville, Virginia
My guess is that it will be Childress, who was in the ESPN 150 last year, unless they land a superstar in this year's class.

Posted on: 12/4/2012 5:13 pm

Makin' it Rain
From N. Canton, Ohio
Early Depth Chart

1. Millard (only because he has little game experience)
2. Childress
3. Chavis Rawlins (Dual Threat)

I I know Holgy said he will sign one QB a year but we are still thin at QB. What if Millard or Childress get hurt? You are down to 2 scholarship QB's, either one or two with no college experience. I think starting in 2014 class he better get at least 2.

Posted on: 12/4/2012 5:19 pm

Here for the Beer
Quote:

BeersNEers wrote:
I feel pretty confident that it will be Ford.
As far as Millard is concerned; I doubt he'll leave. He'd only have a year of eligibility unless he left for a FCS school.
quote]

No, Millard would have 2 years of eligibility. He did not redshirt and played 2 years for us, so he can transfer somewhere, sit out a year, and have 2 years left.

Quote:

BeersNEers wrote:
Also, I think we have a QB recruit coming in this year too; don't we?

Yeah, we got that dual-threat guy from the Pittsburgh area. Folks on here have speculated that he might switch to defensive back. We'll see. If Millard leaves, any switch would likely be postponed a year.

Posted on: 12/4/2012 5:21 pm

Makin' it Rain
From N. Canton, Ohio
From what I have seen, it appears that Millard does not have the ability to get out of the pocket quick enough if he has to. Pure pocket passer. i have no idea about Ford, haven't seen him play at all.

Posted on: 12/4/2012 5:22 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Charlottesville, Virginia
Quote:

hailwvu wrote:
Early Depth Chart

1. Millard (only because he has little game experience)
2. Childress
3. Chavis Rawlins (Dual Threat)

Even though Millard has some game experience, I think Childress may be ahead of Millard already. The only reason Childress didn't play was to save a year of eligibility.

Posted on: 12/4/2012 5:28 pm

Suspected Punter
Has anyone actually seen Ford play in a WVU practice?

Its been my assumption he'll be the starter too, but I haven't seen him play..

Has anyone?

Posted on: 12/4/2012 5:39 pm

Here for the Beer
I think that unless Millard comes in and blows everyone out of the water, you have to go with the winner of the Childress/Rawlins competition. You know it's going to be a rebuilding year anyway. If Bailey leaves, our starting receivers are Jordan Thompson, Connner Arlia, Dante Campbell, K.J. Meyers, and Devonte Robinson. All of them will be sophomores. I say let your freshman quarterback grow up with all of your other young talent. That way, his junior year when the team is all juniors and seniors and is supposed to be phenomenal, he has two years of starting experience as opposed to riding the bench.

Posted on: 12/4/2012 5:42 pm

Party Machine
From AL by way of Beckley,WV
I think Holgs will pick the best man for the job

Posted on: 12/4/2012 8:42 pm

Pitt Hater
From Buckhannon, WV
We do have a few walk-on qbs to, one thats a WV native and is good Logan something that transfered from Fairmont State, is more a dual threat qb but is alittle short think 5'11/

Posted on: 12/4/2012 9:23 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Jacksonville, FL via Parkersburg
We also have Brandon Napolean who would want to work out at QB should the need arise. He will probably be a DB.

Dana will start whoever is performing best in spring practice. I believe that he will also work Rawlins into the backfield some when not WR should he not be starting QB.

Posted on: 12/4/2012 9:43 pm

WMITC
From Here
Quote:

rjeran1 wrote:
We do have a few walk-on qbs to, one thats a WV native and is good Logan something that transfered from Fairmont State, is more a dual threat qb but is alittle short think 5'11/

Logan Moore was fairly decent for Fairmont State considering they had the worst O-line in the history of football and he was always running for his life.

It's hard to say whether he has the stuff to play behind a legitimate D-1 line, but he seemed to throw pretty well when he had time.

I saw him throw some accurate deep balls in high school at Fairmont Senior. Doubt he's going to take anyone's job but could probably finish a game in an emergency.

He is not very tall, you're right.

Posted on: 12/4/2012 11:23 pm

Pitt Hater
From Washington DC
It'll be Childress unless he does something else stupid. He's been in the system long enough to learn it and Millard is too careless with the ball. Rawlins doesnt have enough time in the system yet.

Posted on: 12/4/2012 11:29 pm

Suspected Punter
From McKeesport, Pa
i read today on twitter (i know it isn't the best source) that rawlins just got approval from his school board to graduate early and enroll at wvu in january in time for spring ball. i think this is great anytime a recruit is able to do this.

Posted on: 12/4/2012 11:53 pm

Pitt Hater
From Cowboy Country
I think the last time we didn't know who was going to be QB AN (AN=After Nehlen) was two guys battling it out name Bednarik and White. Obviously Bednarik should have remained the starter : ).

Posted on: 12/5/2012 12:03 am

Makin' it Rain
Info in, I think we're good at QB.

Posted on: 12/5/2012 12:51 am

Here for the Beer
From Bekeley Springs WV
Millard is terrible.. Like, really bad. I really wouldn't understand anyone saying he isn't terrible.

Ford is a very "NFL" type of QB. Excellent size. Smart and Throws the ball with a lot of zip. Or at least, that was his scouting report out of HS.

Rawlins probably will play WR. The kid looks pretty talented in the open field, but his HS highlights look like he is playing against some REALLY small and slow teams.

And who knows, Dana's offense is a hot commodity for QB's.. There could be transfers.

But, I think we could be just fine with Childress.

And RD, What ya got????

Posted on: 12/5/2012 1:53 am

Makin' it Rain
I think Childress is prototype pro and going to be excellent. But Millard needs to push him and be ready like he was this year when he waltzed in after Geno lost his helmet and threw a picture perfect TD pass.

Rawlins I think will give Dana some room to experiment with running QB or halfback passes on reverses when he's not playing WR.

It will be interesting, DeVine. I'll be looking forward to spring practice after Geno and Tavon and Stedman kick some butt in the Bronx.

Posted on: 12/5/2012 2:37 am

Makin' it Rain
From Philadelphia, PA via Pittsburgh, PA
Millard looks like he needs to hit the weight room. Am I the only person that noticed, when he came in for Geno, he had zero muscle ton in his arms? Most quarterbacks, at this level, have noticable muscle definition in their arms. I don't think Millard would be able to pass (especially the long ball) for a whole game, without getting fatigued.

I've never paid attention to Childress, since he hasn't played.

Posted on: 12/5/2012 7:25 am

(1) 2 3 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved