We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Re: WVU Football 2017 Recruiting Thread
Gettin' Schmitty
From Originally, Lester WV, now, Richmond, "East" Virginia
Curious that Roberson did not get more looks from Texas schools. It could be that there is so much talent in Texas that some kids just get overlooked and/or are over analyzed. In any event, I am glad that his path has led to WVU and I look forward to cheering on young Mr. Roberson during the coming years. And I can already anticipate announcers mid-pronouncing his name as "Robertson".

Posted on: 1/30 10:52 pm

Pitt Hater
From Columbus, OH (via Belpre, OH)
Quote:

GONZOeer wrote:
WVU got another commit from Lamonte McDougle. He is a 3* defensive tackle from Florida with offers from Arkansas, Miami, Penn State, Kentucky, Minnesota, Purdue, Texas Tech, UNC, Stanford, Tennessee and Washington state.

He is listed at 6-1, 295.

Son of former NFL player Stockar and recruited by Seider. A lot to like here. I'm glad to see him on board

Posted on: 1/31 8:32 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Big 12 worst P5 2017 Recuiting Class rankings, WVU #8 in the Big 12

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
http://www.sbnation.com/college-footb ... -rankings-conference-2017

College football recruiting varies a lot by conference. When the dust settled on Wednesday’s National Signing Day, average class rankings broke down like this:

SEC: 21.8
Pac-12: 32.9
Big Ten: 35.9
ACC: 38.6
Big 12: 43.1
American: 80.6
Conference USA: 96.5
Mountain West: 99.6
MAC: 100.7
Sun Belt: 110.8

In turn, which league you play in has a huge effect on how much ground you can make up or lose in one recruiting cycle. Here’s how every team’s class fared compared to the average ranking of all the other teams in its conference. Class data is from the industry-generated 247Sports Composite:

National Rk.------Team-------Conference----Vs. conference avg.

-----8---------Oklahoma---------Big 12----------------35.1

-----26----------Texas----------Big 12----------------17.1

-----38-----Oklahoma State------Big 12-----------------5.1

-----39---------Baylor----------Big 12-----------------4.1

-----51-------Texas Tech--------Big 12---------------(-7.9)

-----53-------Iowa State--------Big 12---------------(-9.9)

-----57------West Virginia------Big 12--------------(-13.9)

-----60------Kansas State-------Big 12--------------(-16.9)

-----68---------Kansas----------Big 12--------------(-24.9)

Posted on: 2/9 1:39 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
WVU picked up one of its post signing day targets in Syracuse grad transfer Corey Winfield. He will provide depth at corner.

Posted on: 2/10 8:53 pm

Pitt Hater
From Athens GA
Heard a local college football expert (he really is) on the radio today pointing out that not a single one of the top ten Texas high school recruits went to a Texas or Big 12 school.

That's worrisome.

Posted on: 2/10 11:25 pm

Quote:

GONZOeer wrote:
WVU picked up one of its post signing day targets in Syracuse grad transfer Corey Winfield. He will provide depth at corner.

https://westvirginia.rivals.com/news/g ... nfield-makes-wvu-his-pick

West Virginia exited signing day with some pressing needs still left to fill on the roster and the Mountaineers took a big step in addressing one of those with the commitment of Syracuse graduate transfer Corey Winfield during his official visit.

Winfield, was a two-year starter at Syracuse, finishing last season seventh on the team with 41 tackles and finished tied for the team lead with four pass breakups. He intercepted three passes in his career.

He was released from his scholarship at the end of the season and started to look at his potential options where he would spend next fall. That led him to West Virginia.

The St. Louis, Missouri, native took a two-day official visit to West Virginia and made the decision to spend his final season of eligibility with the Mountaineers next fall.

Winfield also made official visits to both Purdue and UNLV, but West Virginia moved to the forefront in recent weeks edging out the Boilermakers.

Defensive coordinator Tony Gibson served as the lead recruiter for Winfield and offered the cornerback prospect a scholarship offer in January. His connection there along with his official visit was enough to seal the deal and secure his commitment for the West Virginia football program.

Winfield gives West Virginia an immediate impact player that already has starting time at the power five level and will be eligible this coming fall after he graduates from Syracuse in May to pursue a degree in finance.

Posted on: 2/13 10:52 am

Didn't see this anywhere....this was back mid-January. He's not on the official NSD list, I wonder what's up? Is it because he's a walk-on and doesn't go against the scholarship limit? You'd think they'd still announce him as a PWO.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-foot ... up-key-preferred-walk-on/

West Virginia added a key preferred walk-on commitment this evening in the form of Chantilly (VA) h-back Corey Thomas. The 6-foot-4, 205-pounder held early offers from East Carolina and Western Kentucky, and also had interest from Ole Miss, Old Dominion, and more. He camped at West Virginia this summer, impressing during one of the one-day camps in June, and then followed up with an unofficial visit in September.

Posted on: 2/13 11:28 am

Pitt Hater
Quote:

WVisHome wrote:
Didn't see this anywhere....this was back mid-January. He's not on the official NSD list, I wonder what's up? Is it because he's a walk-on and doesn't go against the scholarship limit? You'd think they'd still announce him as a PWO.

We're bringing in 12 preferred walk-ons. The signing of the LOI is purely symbolic, to my understanding, as it's non-binding. Looks like WVU calls it a Document of Commitment not LOI, which guarantees them a spot on the team. Here's a link to the complete list of PWOs:

http://www.scout.com/college/west-vir ... everal-preferred-walk-ons

Posted on: 2/15 12:52 pm

Pitt Hater
Oops, make that 11 PWOs. One of the guys decided to go to Lackawanna

Posted on: 2/15 12:56 pm

Quote:

Strohs wrote:
Quote:

WVisHome wrote:

We're bringing in 12 preferred walk-ons. The signing of the LOI is purely symbolic, to my understanding, as it's non-binding. Looks like WVU calls it a Document of Commitment not LOI, which guarantees them a spot on the team. Here's a link to the complete list of PWOs:

http://www.scout.com/college/west-vir ... everal-preferred-walk-ons

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Interesting to note: Mike Barwis's nephew is one...kid is a hoss.
Open in new window

Posted on: 2/15 2:24 pm

Party Machine
From Barboursville, WV
If he's got half the energy of his uncle, the kid will be all over the field on every play while lifting weights, selling tickets and running the scoreboard. I would imagine he works hard.

Posted on: 2/15 8:10 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Robertsdale,Al via parkersburg
Daniel Buchanan turned down scholarships from App ST,Toledo ,UCF,Eastern KY and Villanova to be a walk-on at WVU...kid really wants to be a MOUNTAINEER and I admire that !!!!!!

Posted on: 2/16 1:05 am

Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
WVU added a quarterback (of sorts) in preferred walk on Jake Bueltel.

The Florida gunslinger threw for 2,465 yards and 18 touchdowns during his career. He also rushed for 648 yards and 13 touchdowns. He missed some time this past season with a collapsed young.

And he sounds like an overall smart kid. He is a story story worth checking out on how he got to WVU. He knows how to hit the books (most of his eduction is being paid for by academic scholarship) and it sounds like he has some common sense.

Watching his highlights, I have to say I am impressed. He reminds me at times of what I have seen of Will Grier.

Posted on: 2/22 8:23 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Monrovia MD
God I hope his young didn't collapse. That would be awful. Perhaps it's a lung which can be re-inflated?

Posted on: 2/23 10:07 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Southwest VA ... via Pleasants County, USA
My young collapsed about fifteen years ago and has not reinflated yet.

Posted on: 2/24 1:34 am

Party Machine
As a medical student, you should probably go get that checked out.

Posted on: 2/24 11:48 am

WVU adds late 2017 JuCo CB

https://westvirginia.rivals.com/news/wvu-adds-juco-cb-late

West Virginia has been in search of late additions to the 2017 recruiting class and the Mountaineers uncovered one in El Dorado (Kan.) Butler C.C. cornerback Fontez Davis.

Davis, 5-foot-11, 194-pounds, has been in contact with the coaching staff since late January but made an official visit to Morgantown over the past few days.

Defensive coordinator Tony Gibson has been the primary contact between the two parties and the cornerback and while he entered the visit without an offer from the Mountaineers that would change. And so would his commitment status.

"It's official I'm committed," he informed WVSports.com.

Posted on: 3/23 10:23 am

Re: WVU adds late 2017 JuCo CB
Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
Davis has three years to play three so that is a great pickup.

Posted on: 3/23 10:51 am

Party Machine
Plus we need the CB depth. All for it.

Posted on: 3/23 2:00 pm

Pitt Hater
From Eastern WV

Posted on: 3/24 10:35 pm