We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

(1) 2 3 4 »

2019 WVU Football Recruiting Thread
Suspected Punter
Martinsburg LB Dwayne Grantham committed to the good guys today. He is the third commit in the class, joining Pennsylvania 3-star kicker Kolton McGhee and North Carolina 3-4 star LB Lee Kpogba.

This makes 2 linebackers before the end of January. The only guy graduating next year at LB is Quondarius Qualls.

Posted on: 1/27 10:11 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: 2019 WVU Football Recruiting Thread
Suspected Punter
Defensive end Jalen Thornton makes the fourth commit to the 2019 WVU class. He is the son of former Mountaineer and Cincinnati Bengal John Thornton. It's nice to see WVU piling up legacy commits.

The defensive recruiting for 2019 is rolling nicely. We lose DLs Ezekiel Rose and Jaleel Fields to graduation. Thornton presumably replaces Rose. We lose LB Quondarius Qualls to graduation and maybe (hopefully not!) David Long to early entry. We already have two OLBs committed in Dwayne Grantham and Lee Kpogba. We lose safeties Dravon Henry and Toyous Avery. There are several safeties in play, including Amir Richardson, Ben Waibogha, Jayvon Thrift, and more. We lose no CBs, and Aliquippa's Marlon Devonshire has us high at that position.

Offense has no recruits yet. Kolton McGhee is committed at kicker.

Looks really good so far.

Posted on: 2/2 12:41 pm

Suspected Punter
I keep replying to myself.

In reality, WVU does not have many seniors on the 2018 roster. The 2019 recruiting class may be smaller than normal, even with the usual attrition. Here are the seniors:

QB Will Grier
TE Trevon Wesco
WR Dominique Maiden
WR Gary Jennings
WR David Sills
WR William Crest
OT Yodny Cajuste
OG Joe Brown (has not yet enrolled)
OG Isaiah Hardy
DE Ezekiel Rose
DT Jaleel Fields
LB Quondarius Qualls
S Dravon Henry
S Toyous Avery

I would expect 1-2 more seniors in the grad transfer market. Likely a CB and maybe one more depending. We might only have about 15 seniors to replace.

Two players might be in line to leave early for the NFL after 2018, though it is too early to tell right now.

LB David Long
OT Colton McKivitz

The staff has a great start on 2019.

Posted on: 2/2 2:00 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Dunedin FL
I appreciate your information. I rely on this board for all things WVU sports, living here in Florida.

Plus, I'm in an empathetic mood and didn't want you to have to reply to yourself.

Posted on: 2/2 8:22 pm

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Quote:

professeer wrote:
I keep replying to myself.

In reality, WVU does not have many seniors on the 2018 roster. The 2019 recruiting class may be smaller than normal, even with the usual attrition. Here are the seniors:

QB Will Grier
TE Trevon Wesco
WR Dominique Maiden
WR Gary Jennings
WR David Sills
WR William Crest
OT Yodny Cajuste
OG Joe Brown (has not yet enrolled)
OG Isaiah Hardy
DE Ezekiel Rose
DT Jaleel Fields
LB Quondarius Qualls
S Dravon Henry
S Toyous Avery

I would expect 1-2 more seniors in the grad transfer market. Likely a CB and maybe one more depending. We might only have about 15 seniors to replace.

Two players might be in line to leave early for the NFL after 2018, though it is too early to tell right now.

LB David Long
OT Colton McKivitz

The staff has a great start on 2019.

Good to know, didn't realize Colton was rated that high.

Posted on: 2/3 9:46 am

Suspected Punter
I thought Crest left the program?

Great info!

Posted on: 2/4 8:13 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
From spencer
Quote:

emperorchaz wrote:

Great info!

He was going to and decided to play wr I instead.

Posted on: 2/4 9:43 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Springfield
Quote:

emperorchaz wrote:

Great info!

Is this like his 10th year?

Posted on: 2/4 10:56 pm

Suspected Punter
Yeah but one of the third year lb's is going to fb thimons. Ferns can't stay healthy and the other two, sandwich and Hensley haven't shown much of anything. Grantham is going to take a year or two possibly to gain the weight. Think a more athletic tonkery if he can gain the weight. Amir Richardson is another future lb the mountaineers will most likely get but they need to find a young run plugging middle backer. Hopefully Colin Smith is on the tonkery diet and can gain close to thirty and help answer some lb problems. Kenny Robinson could easily be a stud old if we had a freevsafety we trusted. The Juco Benton is the real deal but he's only about 205 and looks more like a spur. But he plays the position well. If he could put on at least twenty lbs before next year he'll be one to watch.

Posted on: 2/5 10:22 pm

Suspected Punter
Jayvon Thrift another brother connection. I worry about his speed for his size but hitting wise he's as close to Karl Joseph as you'll see. His body still looks a little soft but he has big time impact. Richardson I think is one of those guys that starts his career at spur but ends up at linebacker. Good frame to add weight and not sure if he has the speed. Could probably be a Gary Jennings type of wide receiver. Great hands.

Oh any word on Taymon Cooke. Twitter said he's committed. Amazing athlete. Probably the best athlete we've had for corner in quite sometime as a freshman. Could be an electric receiver also but more needed on defense. Plus a real punt returner.

Posted on: 2/5 10:30 pm

Suspected Punter
Richardson and Thrift seem to be the early favorites for the safety position. There is a lot of year left, though, and we will see. I'm kinda surprised Richardson hasn't committed already. He is a Morgantown kid after all.

Cooke has committed on his end, but not yet on WVU's. He has some grade issues to work through, I think. Once these are all set, he will almost surely be part of the class. I'm not sure if he will sign on Wednesday or not. Grade casualties now count toward both the class and scholarship limits once a player signs. He is only clear to sign when all grade issues are free and clear. I think the same holds true for Tavis Lee and Jayce Rogers.

Posted on: 2/5 10:46 pm

Suspected Punter
This thread has been dead for 3 1/2 weeks. No new additions for 2019, but offers are rolling out at a brisk pace. With all the recent attrition from scholarship players, what originally seemed to be a smaller than normal recruiting class looks like it will have 25 or very close to it. I expect somewhere in the neighborhood of the following:

1 QB (Brian Maurer and Garrett Shrader are the early front runners, losing Grier obviously)
1 RB (hard to say who at this point)
3-4 WR (again, lots of offers going out and no clear picture yet, losing Sills, Jennings, Maiden, and Crest. Already lost Rogers)
2-3 OT (losing Cajuste and maybe McKivitz to the draft, 2019 picture still foggy)
1-2 OG (losing Hardy and J. Brown, nothing emerging yet)
TE doubtful, but who knows?
3-4 DL (lost Shuler and Fields already and will lose Rose, already have Thornton, have interest from a couple other Ohio kids, namely Isaiah Gibson)
3-4 LB (losing Qualls and hopefully not Long, already have Kpogba and Grantham. Need a MLB)
2-3 CB (strong interest from Marlon Devonshire and a couple of others, still early)
2-3 S (losing Askew-Henry and Avery, strong interest from a handful including Amir Richardson, Jayvon Thrift, and Jaquan Brisker. Still early)
1 K - Kolton McGhee already committed

It's going to be interesting.

Posted on: 3/1 8:44 am

Noob
From Swedesboro, NJ
Don't think a lack of replies means we don't appreciate the info!

I know I read all your updates, but just don't have much to say about it lol.

Posted on: 3/1 12:44 pm

Suspected Punter
If Grantham is a linebacker then Richardson if he gains any weight at all should be a linebacker. Not much speed for safety either. Long if healthy is definitely gone. Hope he'll not Colton. Pretty much our whole offense will be gone but the defense should have everyone who really contributes back minus the safeties

Posted on: 3/5 3:22 am

Suspected Punter
I wonder what the hold up is on Richardson? He seemed gung-ho and now not so much. Don't know if he or the staff is applying the brakes.

It all depends on how Long and McKivitz grade out in the pre-declaration days. If they are not going to really benefit from another year in college, I doubt either one stays. There is an outside chance McKoy is right there with them. McKoy is a Smallwood clone. If he has a junior year like Wendell, he's gone too. That is probably it for likely early-entries.

I actually expect the defense to be pretty good this year. We didn't lose a whole lot (White and Benton will hurt the worst) and a lot of the 2-deep is a year older, stronger, and more experienced. If any 3-4 of Pitts, Long, Mahone, Washington, or Bailey step up at corner, I think the D is solid. There are only 4 seniors on the unit, so it should be dominant (2015 level) in 2019. With the number of sophomores in the 2-deep right now, 2020 looks good too.

The O looks scary good for 2018. If the line gels early and we can avoid injury, the sky is the limit.

Posted on: 3/6 6:13 pm

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
I wouldn't rate the offense as scary good, we dont have that great a running game. McCoy, Pettaway are both solid backs but not elite, no burners here. I don't think we've had a burner at RB since Devine.

Posted on: 3/6 7:40 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From spencer
Our running game is no longer built around pure speed at back. It’s the slightly smaller back that can make one cut and explode for 10-15 not 50

Posted on: 3/6 8:31 pm

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
I agree with you, but dont like that stategy.

Posted on: 3/6 8:56 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From RT. 50
Mark my words Alec Sinkfield will shock people this year at running back

Posted on: 3/7 11:28 am

Pitt Hater
We need much better O-line production to give the backs a chance. An undersized line didn't do us any good last year. The last time the three coaches were together they made a really good offense is what we have been sold. Now we have 3 good backs (at least 2), a good QB, good receivers (not sure about the backups) and tight ends so there is no excuse except for the O-line. I agree, I'm not falling for "scary good". Could we please use the backs and tight ends like OK and the Patriots?

The D has a lot of questions and could improve or be just as mediocre as last year. The offense can't get on the field if the D can't get off of it. Longer, controlled drives would help our D get rested. The 40-50 yard passing TDs are nice but doesn't give the D much rest.

I'll take a win any way we can get it though.

Posted on: 3/7 7:36 pm

(1) 2 3 4 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved