We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

(1) 2 »

Dana Holgerson
Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
I've seen some comments now, after this game wondering if Dana's the guy. My opinion is yes, Is he an elite coach? Definitely not. To me you have Urban Meyer and Nick Saban, then maybe a dozen other coaches at top programs. I still wouldn't put him in the next dozen but I'd put him right after that. I feel like he will end up being more like Don Nehlen's tenure, where maybe if we get lucky we have a team like 1988. I dont see him having that dominant run that Rich Rodriquez had built in 2004 to 2008.

At this point his recruiting has improved, so far the program seems to be clean, coaching has improved, and the stability is a very good thing. I'll be honest though if this was an elite school, then no Dana would not be the guy.

Posted on: 10/8 6:53 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Dana Holgerson
Grant Ave. Warrior
He does a lot good, but could do a lot better. Hope we get it done against TT. We should.

Posted on: 10/8 7:44 pm

Pitt Hater
From Rockville, MD
Why do you say this? He's delivered. We talk about players not wanting to come to WVU. His staff is good + at getting recruits. He's got a great staff. We still suck at special teams.

Posted on: 10/8 9:13 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
I've said this numerous times, but if we replaced Dana, who would realistically be our coach? I appreciate Holgy, he's embraced the culture of the state, changed some of his stubborn flaws, he's developed talent, he's getting good talent to come. He has a few flaws, special teams, time-outs, game management at times, but the biggest seems to be this mental block when we're playing big games. I'm not sure if he's going to overcome it, but law of averages says we should start producing soon.

Posted on: 10/8 9:47 pm

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
The guy won 10 games in the B12 last year. Got blown out a couple times by better teams, but the program is on the upswing. Reminds me of the basketball team a few years back.

Posted on: 10/8 10:21 pm

Ingest Feces Pittsburgh!

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
I love Holgy. He infuriates the piss out if me at times but I love him. I just wish he would get our special teams heads out of their added. There's really no excuse to have terrible special teams this year. The mistakes on that side of the ball are mostly fundamental and it's so aggravating.

Posted on: 10/8 10:48 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Ecuador, 2 Degrees South
Holgy is a better than average coach, no doubt. Can he take us to a Big XXII Championship? Maybe someday, maybe once every 10years or so. We just don’t have, and cannot get the talent that the elite FB schools get. Am I happy with him? Of course. There’s only a handful of coaches that would be able to change the situation and they ain’t comin’ To Motown. Holgy will in all probability end his career here, and that isn’t a bad thing.

Posted on: 10/8 11:54 pm

Suspected Punter
The short answer is he's a good coach. He's consistently outmanned in personnel, especially the depth on the D line. You can only get so far with true freshman interior lineman.

They play the 3-3-5 specifically for that reason.

Posted on: 10/9 7:31 am

Here for the Beer
From Fairmont WV
I like the comparison to Nehlen. That's who Holgy reminds me of. The Holgy era will be a rollercoaster ride just like the Nehlen era. We will have a few magical season, we will have a few forgettable seasons, but most of the time we will have average seasons. That's ok with me because the 1988 and 1993 Nehlen seasons will forever define his legacy. In my opinion, if we stick with Holgy as long as we did with Nehlen we will see the CFB playoffs at least once. Holgy is a good fit for WVU football and has the program on the up.

Posted on: 10/9 8:35 am

Suspected Punter
From Morgantown, WV
I love Dana. Of course his big game record is terrible but I think our program is making large strides every year with recruits, facilities, etc. it's extremely hard to put together a 2 deep roster for one season, let alone year in and year out. If he were doing that he would be gone already.

If we're being totally honest about this season I think we pass the ball too much, which is a product of Spav calling plays. I know we have great receivers but we are very thin and we run them dead every game.....I hope we don't see fatigue injuries come the 2nd half of the season. McKoy and Petteway need 25+ combined touches on top of Crawford's 15-20 touches.

Posted on: 10/9 8:42 am

Pitt Hater
From Frederick, MD
Holgy is improving. The team is improving.

The frustration is there always seems to be one glaring area of need that takes several seasons to get fixed. First it was overall depth which is Understandable that would take several seasons to fix. Then it was finding a decent QB. That took way to long to fix but we seem to be on the upswing now. Now we can't seem to find a field goal kicker and special teams have been mostly bad during Dana's entire tenure.

Dana will be here until he puts together 2 or 3 special seasons back to back, then someone will pry him away with a crap load of cash.

Posted on: 10/9 9:24 am

Obama: We will put a man in your daughter's restroom.

Noob
From Liverpool, PA
I'm a big Holgy supported but son of a bitch, hire a good special teams coach. I'm tired of seeing that cost us games year in and year out.

Posted on: 10/9 12:17 pm

Makin' it Rain
Quote:

jameschi wrote:
I've seen some comments now, after this game wondering if Dana's the guy. My opinion is yes, Is he an elite coach? Definitely not. To me you have Urban Meyer and Nick Saban, then maybe a dozen other coaches at top programs. I still wouldn't put him in the next dozen but I'd put him right after that. I feel like he will end up being more like Don Nehlen's tenure, where maybe if we get lucky we have a team like 1988. I dont see him having that dominant run that Rich Rodriquez had built in 2004 to 2008.

At this point his recruiting has improved, so far the program seems to be clean, coaching has improved, and the stability is a very good thing. I'll be honest though if this was an elite school, then no Dana would not be the guy.

I'm one of those who brought up Holgorsen and have had doubts. Again, I'm not saying he should be fired or anything....just that in year 7 I have doubts if we will be able to put together a season where we win a conference championship. I think Coach Holgorsen has been through a lot (starting a year early, having to lead the program into a much tougher conference) and he's had some understandable growing pains but he is a better head coach now than he was in 2011. That said, I just have a concern that our high point will be a 10-2 season where we do real well but can't get over the hump and beat the two toughest teams in the Big 12 that year (whoever they are). But I'll always be rooting for Holgorsen to succeed as I think he's a decent guy and has an honest appreciation for the kids and the state.

That aside, I think you're analysis is very good. I'd be more than happy to have a legit shot at a conference championship every few years....I understand we are not going to become an Oklahoma that is in the running every year.

Posted on: 10/9 3:24 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From spencer
When he arrived we had a 1 deep everywhere team that good players started as soon as they got here. Dana had some ideas of what he was going to do that were not grounded in reality. (Getting 4stars from Texas, Defoe being good)

Yr2 we had empty shelves of talent and a huge learning curve.

Yr3-4 adjusted staff built a base off talent. Regained direction

Yr5+ build and build- we are nw constant mid pack b12 with glimpses of top 1/3. Lungs look good.

Posted on: 10/9 8:13 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
You guys also have to remember that we have to recruit out of state pretty heavy. We don't have the greatest talent in the world here, it's definitely improving but when someone decides to commit somewhere else (for example Switzer to UNC), it hurts us more than say, a state like Georgia, or Florida where they have a bevy of instate talent that grew up as fans of home-state schools. Outside of West Virginia, and close lying regions, I can't really say there's too many people with a deep love and appreciate for the state and school. I think this also plays a factor. We're never going to have the rosters of a Alabama, Georgia, etc. So honestly, a year that we make the play-offs SHOULD be a flash in the pan, no matter how maddening and frustrated it gets us. I just want us to play our hearts out, and compete week in and week out and let the chips fall. I think Holgy is the right guy to lead the program, as I've said he's grown like crazy. I could see him spending a long time in Morgantown.

Posted on: 10/9 8:46 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Robertsdale,Al via parkersburg
If he cant consistently beat Pitt then he needs to go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....thats imo.

Posted on: 10/9 9:06 pm

Makin' it Rain
His legacy victory will be The Orange Bowl win over Clemson. Since then he hasn't beaten a team with a pulse.

Posted on: 10/10 12:39 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Canonsburg, PA
Quote:

wvsouth1 wrote:
If he cant consistently beat Pitt then he needs to go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....thats imo.

Well....we haven't beaten Pitt in 6 years. He should be beating Pitt even in years we don't play them. He needs to go!

Posted on: 10/10 12:54 pm

Pitt Hater
From columbia,sc
Lets face it. We are one of those programs where there always seems to be one missing piece, then every 4 or 5 years it all comes together. One year, we have a great offense, but no defense. Then we have a great defense, but no offense. This year, the missing piece is special teams. WVU is not an elite program, and will likely never be. Ours is just like 90% of the rest of the country. Right now, we are not really doing too bad, having lost 2 games by a total of 2 scores. Maybe this year will turn out to be a decent season with 8 wins or so and maybe next year will be that 4th or 5th year where we make a run.

Posted on: 10/10 3:22 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

WVUrocks wrote:
His legacy victory will be The Orange Bowl win over Clemson. Since then he hasn't beaten a team with a pulse.

I mean, I'm not sure if you're being dramatic, but he did beat #4 Baylor, and should have beat #7 TCU that year as well if they didn't kill Trickett (2015). Beat #11 Okie State the year before (2014), and beat #25 Baylor, and #11 Texas as well (2012). It's not like we're getting absolutely blown out in these ranked games save for a few, it's just we're losing because of stupid ass mistakes time and time again, and like I said I don't know if it's a mentality thing, but it's frustrating.

Also, if he's still our head coach by the time we play Pitt again, that means that the program is still on the right track. Shane Lyons seems like an AD that values success, and he's not a complete idiot like LSU's Joe Alleva.

Posted on: 10/10 3:25 pm

(1) 2 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved