Sweet 16
Makin' it Rain
From Fairmont
We move on

Posted on: 3/19 5:26 am

Re: Sweet 16 -- concussions
Pitt Hater
From austin, tx
Here's a link to an article about concussions. In baseball, at least, it takes several weeks to return to form, even after you've returned. Unclear when someone returns:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/16/spo ... t-frazier-concussion.html

What is important is not pushing too far or easing off too much.

“It’s a brain injury; it takes awhile to recover,”

Research is indicating that even when players return from a concussion, their performance lags in the weeks upon their return.

Wasserman found that batting average dropped 31 points, slugging percentage declined 62 points and on-base-plus-slugging percentage fell by 99 points in the first two weeks upon players’ returns from concussions. Performance was still lower four to six weeks after returning, but not significantly so, Wasserman said.

Posted on: 3/19 5:33 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Sweet 16 -- concussions
Pitt Hater
From Philadelphia/West Virgina
Harris is such a quiet player.... I barely watch him when he is on the floor because to me he is almost invisible. Not sure why. But his length and defense is what Huggs embraces.

Posted on: 3/19 7:09 am

Re: Sweet 16
WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
Harris is a big loss. Once he quit fouling so much, he became a very effective player. He only plays about 20 minutes a game, but he averages 3.6 rebounds in those 20 and plays very good defense.

Posted on: 3/19 8:29 am

Eat Shit Pitt

Noob
From Swedesboro, NJ
Tall task ahead...

Attach file:

jpg  Capture1.JPG (74.83 KB)
4050_5aafbe210d853.jpg 908X845 px

Posted on: 3/19 8:42 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
They won't be able to match our tenacity, determination, and mountaineer heart. We do our best when backed into a corner.

Posted on: 3/19 8:49 am

Pitt Hater
From Richmond, Va
I know this will be a tough game but I do not think this is not a game WVU could or should win. I never bought into the hype that the Big East was one of the best conferences in the country and the overall performance the 1st and 2nd rounds proved this. Villanova is a good team but they are a 1 seed because off the perceived toughness of the BE, but probably about as good as UVA was this year. If WVU can play Nova like they did UVA this year then obviously this is a game I feel good about. WVU IMO is by far the more battle-tested team. Other than Tennessee and Gonzaga, Nova's schedule was pretty weak.

The key, as always, will be who else steps up. We know what we ae going to get from Jevon and Sags every game. We need two more guys to step up like last night. I don't care if it is Dax and Lamont, or Esa and Beetle or Teddy and someone else. The key is and has been multiple guys contributing. Seems obvious and simple, but we all know what happens when our role players take the game off.

My biggest concern is the way this team has come out in the Sweet 16. Kentucky embarrassed the whole team and last year Jevon was all on his own against Gonzaga. I really hope the added experience helps and the leadership of Jevon and Dax gets the younger guys ready to move onto the Elite 8.

I haven't head anyone pick WVU to have even a chance in this one. I like that, I hope everyone keeps sleeping on WVU because I think this team is hungry right now.

Posted on: 3/19 9:46 am

RadioShark wrote:
This game has been so thisisridic!

Makin' it Rain
I do not expect WVU to win this game BUT I really hope they upset the Wildcats. Las Vegas has made Villanova a 5.5 point favorite. WVU is certainly playing a team with a "pulse" and we all know how that usually works out. Like the Kansas match ups, Villanova provides a very big challenge for this bunch. Stay tuned and bring lots of alcohol, you are going to need it!!

Posted on: 3/19 9:56 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Lexington, KY (Hurricane, WV is home)
I think our team is just now peaking. Everyone is finally stepping up and contributing something. Of course Carter, Miles, and Sags are on their A game, but also Teddy Allen is finally out of the doghouse, improved his defense, and playing his game. Routt is a great contributor. West looked good. Beetle is a solid player, etc. Heck, even Esa is finiding his groove. I think we have a very physical, solid, and deep team that is hungry to move forward. I believe we will shock the nation and win this game. It's ova for nova!

Posted on: 3/19 10:36 am

Party Machine
From Morgantown, West Virginia
I have hope because I think we are playing well and because of the numbers below.....

Scoring Defense Rankings of Big East Teams

Xavier 241
Seton Hall 219
Creighton 222
Providence 184
Marquette 310
Butler 177
Georgetown 279
St. John's 179
DePaul 218

3 of Villanova's losses came to Providence, Butler, and St. John's with rankings in the 180ish range

West Virginia has a scoring defense ranking of 91, nearly 100 spots better than those teams

I don't think they've seen a defense like ours all season

As long as we shoot a decent percentage, we can pull the upset

Posted on: 3/19 11:44 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Springfield
Harris and Dax are like the same player defensively, you never notice them, but you never see their guy scoring.

Posted on: 3/19 11:46 am

Makin' it Rain
From Tampa, FL via Elkview, WV
I am glad to see WVU back to the Sweet 16 and get a beat down win over Marshall. The team seems to be firing on all cylinders. However, I temper my excitement going forward. The team showed it's dominance over two mid-major teams that have not seen a defense like WVU's all season. I am sure that went a long way in securing the desicive victories. As they advance to the Sweet 16 to face Villanova I believe the competition just tripled; Villanova's guards will not be fazed by the press like the two previous teams. That doesn't mean it can't slow them down and force turnovers, just not at the rate as the first two games. A third person besides JC and Sags needs to emerge offensively and Villanova needs to have a slightly off day shooting 3s, whether it is due to defensive pressure or just chance. I don't believe WVU will get blown out, it will be close and WVU should have a chance to win.

Posted on: 3/19 12:48 pm

Here for the Beer
if they hit contested shots, we lose

but if we can run them off the 3 point line and filter them to Sags, we have a shot.

We can beat this team up in the paint. But if they are hitting 3s left and right, it wont matter

Posted on: 3/19 3:26 pm

Here for the Beer
From Aberdeen, NC
I like to think they can smell it now and their desire to win it for Huggs and our great state gives them the same mentality as UMBC in the first round....hungry. Close, but Carter finishes the game late with a drive or foul shots.

Posted on: 3/19 7:07 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Fairmont
Here is a breakdown of our loses

3-Kansas
1-Texas AM
1- Texas Tech
1- Kentucky
ALL THE ABOVE ARE SWEET 16 teams

1- Texas
1- TCU
BOTH made it to Tourney

Bad losses

1- Iowa State
1- OK State should of been in

We beat Kansas State twice Sweet 16

We are 6-4 vs Sweet 16 teams

On the other hand Villanova did not play one team that is in the Sweet 16

Posted on: 3/19 7:53 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From M
West had 5 and Ahmad had 0 against UK when we lost to them in meltdown fashion. In the most recent loss to KU in the Big12Tourney, they combined for 0 points. If we are going to beat those teams we need those guys to step up. Its one thing to flex your muscles at Marshall, but Nova wont be so easy. We need those guys to be productive on O in the big games against top level teams.

Nova is going to have it hands full with us regardless. I looked at their schedule and I dont think they would be a 30 win team in the big 12. No effing way they would.

Posted on: 3/19 8:17 pm

Here for the Beer
From Aberdeen, NC
Quote:

Turkish wrote:
West had 5 and Ahmad had 0 against UK when we lost to them in meltdown fashion. In the most recent loss to KU in the Big12Tourney, they combined for 0 points. If we are going to beat those teams we need those guys to step up. Its one thing to flex your muscles at Marshall, but Nova wont be so easy. We need those guys to be productive on O in the big games against top level teams.

Nova is going to have it hands full with us regardless. I looked at their schedule and I dont think they would be a 30 win team in the big 12. No effing way they would.

Perfect post IMO.

Posted on: 3/19 8:36 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
I know the focus is on nova. But would anyone else rather play purdue instead of texas tech? Or is it just me?

Posted on: 3/19 8:48 pm

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Who knows, who cares, how many games they'd win in Big 12 or how many WVU would win in Big East, has nothing to do with who wins this game. Just like playing Gonzaga last year.

Nova is legit, how can they not be, they won NC the previous year, and have 4 players from that team on this team. If they shoot the three well then they prob. win, if they don't then WVU has great chance, either way its a decent matchup for us.

Posted on: 3/19 8:51 pm

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:
I know the focus is on nova. But would anyone else rather play purdue instead of texas tech? Or is it just me?

I'd only want Purdue since Haas is out, if Haas was playing then I'd take Nova. WVU does not matchup well vs. Purdue. They have two 7 footers that our decent, and taller guards that could handle press easier.

Posted on: 3/19 8:56 pm

(1) 2 3 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved