We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 »

Re: WVU Football 2017 Recruiting Thread
Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
WVU might be getting a quarterback for the 2017 class. David Isreal, a freshman at Butler County CC in Kansas, is visiting for the Blue and Gold Game this weekend. He has offers from Memphis, San Diego State and Georgia Southern.

Looking at his highlights, he looks like a pretty good athlete. He would have four years to play three.

Posted on: 4/13/2017 8:51 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Pitt Hater
From austin, tx
Quote:

GONZOeer wrote:
WVU might be getting a quarterback for the 2017 class. David Isreal, a freshman at Butler County CC in Kansas, is visiting for the Blue and Gold Game this weekend. He has offers from Memphis, San Diego State and Georgia Southern.

Looking at his highlights, he looks like a pretty good athlete. He would have four years to play three.

2016 stats: overall conf

Completions 126 90
Attempts 242 173
Completion % 52.1% 52.0%
Yards 1841 1212
Yards per game 153.4 173.1
Yards per attempt7.6 7.0
Touchdowns 13 7
Interceptions 12 8
Sacks 10 6
Yards lost 116 69

https://butlercc.prestosports.com/spor ... 7/players/davidisrealpj8v

Posted on: 4/13/2017 12:28 pm

Pitt Hater
From Atlanta, GA
Last thing we need is another under sized, juco qb who cannot complete passes. No thanks. Waste of a scholly.

Posted on: 4/13/2017 9:54 pm

Pitt Hater
From Columbus, OH (via Belpre, OH)
A scholarship is only wasted if its not used. Not everybody is going to be an All American. You still need practice and scout team players. It would be nice to have an athletic scout team QB to simulate some spread/read option teams we could see.

Posted on: 4/14/2017 9:09 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
Agreed fully, it comes down to depth of the team and pushing the starters at practice. If the kid can make a positive impact in his time here then I see absolutely no harm in this, it's not like we can have a Will Grier running the scout team every year.

Posted on: 4/14/2017 10:56 am

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Quote:

DirtyDubVee wrote:
Last thing we need is another under sized, juco qb who cannot complete passes. No thanks. Waste of a scholly.

I'd have to fully agree. Tired of getting these QB's where the best they'll best he'll be is subpar.

Posted on: 4/14/2017 7:14 pm

Pitt Hater
Yeah, I mean we should just sign only 5 star QBs. Somebody better tell Dana

Posted on: 4/15/2017 7:08 am

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Quote:

Strohs wrote:
Yeah, I mean we should just sign only 5 star QBs. Somebody better tell Dana

Nothing to do with stars here, the point is tired of getting QB's that are undersized, slowfooted, or has a glitch in throwing motion, that they think can be fixed. Lets just get solid QB recruits, that are 6'2 with strong arms.

Don't get me wrong I'd take a Pat White or John Manziel type but these guys are runners and typically aren't what fits in current offensive system. For Dana's system, he needs a QB like Geno, or Weeden. QB's that can easily see over line and have accurate, strong arms. When you take a guy like Howard his upside is he can have pretty decent numbers but won't lead league, the other QB's in Dana's system all will be league leaders by year 2.

The accuracy numbers listed above from David Israel would concern me, I mean in JUCO your competion is 52%? I'll pass. Why take on a project here, where the best he'll be is an above average QB.

Posted on: 4/15/2017 10:20 am

Pitt Hater
Quote:

jameschi wrote:
For Dana's system, he needs a QB like Geno, or Weeden. QB's that can easily see over line and have accurate, strong arms.

Yeah, like Ford Childress and William Crest. right?

If you didn't read my first post on the topic further up I'll make my point again: You don't bring in a JUCO guy like this because you expect him to be an All-American. You need guys for practice reps (i.e throwing a million balls to young WRs, giving the scout D a decent look at an athletic QB). You need numbers, flat out.I'm sure we're recruiting guys that the coaching staff expects to be dynamite in this system. But for now, we have three scholarship QBs and a dozen WRs that need balls thrown at them. You don't need a 6'2+ guy for that

Posted on: 4/15/2017 10:44 am

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Quote:

Strohs wrote:
Quote:

jameschi wrote:
For Dana's system, he needs a QB like Geno, or Weeden. QB's that can easily see over line and have accurate, strong arms.

If you didn't read my first post on the topic further up I'll make my point again: You don't bring in a JUCO guy like this because you expect him to be an All-American. You need guys for practice reps (i.e throwing a million balls to young WRs, giving the scout D a decent look at an athletic QB). You need numbers, flat out.I'm sure we're recruiting guys that the coaching staff expects to be dynamite in this system. But for now, we have three scholarship QBs and a dozen WRs that need balls thrown at them. You don't need a 6'2+ guy for that

Right, dont waste a scholly on a subpar JUCO, thats what walkons are for.
As for your point in Ford Childress, if he didn't get injured and have the off field issues, who knows, I was fine with recruiting him. Crest, I would definitely say should not of been recruited as a QB, Had size, but his accuracy and footwork were not good.

Posted on: 4/15/2017 11:45 am

Pitt Hater
Quote:

jameschi wrote:
Quote:

Strohs wrote:
Quote:

jameschi wrote:

Right, dont waste a scholly on a subpar JUCO, thats what walkons are for.
As for your point in Ford Childress, if he didn't get injured and have the off field issues, who knows, I was fine with recruiting him. Crest, I would definitely say should not of been recruited as a QB, Had size, but his accuracy and footwork were not good.

We have plenty of open scholarships available. Like I said, scholarships are only wasted if they go unused. There will always be attrition like Lazard leaving unexpectedly. And no, walk-ons typically won't give you quality practice reps. Not like a scholarship level player with a season of JUCO ball under his belt. The old saying, you get what you pay for applies here. The kid may never start a down but the reps he gives your defense might be incredibly valuable. And, hey, maybe he surprises and can fill in in a pinch. The other thing is that Grier is no guarantee to be eligible to start the season. imagine if he can't play then Chugs blows a knee out in camp.this kid could be an insurance policy. There's not a ton of available QBs right now

Posted on: 4/15/2017 3:47 pm

Party Machine
From Barboursville, WV
This kid certainly isn't gonna push Cody or Chuggs (and they certainly aren't pushing Grier much). But the fact is, we only have 2 healthy QB's right now and 1 is currently suspended until game 7. We need some bodies and we have scholly's available as per Dana. I know were looking at bringing a few JUCO's in (all positions, not just QB). I can't wait to see who he was referring to bringing in this week. Realize, the way things are now, we could easily be looking at Sills at QB in the second half against VT. Just 2 big hits away. Hell, Baylor lost 4 in one year.

Posted on: 4/15/2017 4:16 pm

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Unfortunately, if Grier goes down, the season will be lost. I've seen enough of Chugs to know he's not starter material. Just don't see enough zip in his throws, especially toward the sides. Unless of course Cody is good.

Posted on: 4/15/2017 7:45 pm

Pitt Hater
From Atlanta, GA
We have Grier, Saunders, Chuggs, and Sills in a dire emergency. None of whom are graduating this year. We are not in need of depth this second. Way better to recruit a solid HS player who will be around still when the aforementioned QBs are gone. You only get 85 schollys. One qb plays at a time. You got to be smart with those offers.

Posted on: 4/15/2017 10:14 pm

Pitt Hater
Quote:

DirtyDubVee wrote:
We have Grier, Saunders, Chuggs, and Sills in a dire emergency. None of whom are graduating this year. We are not in need of depth this second. Way better to recruit a solid HS player who will be around still when the aforementioned QBs are gone. You only get 85 schollys. One qb plays at a time. You got to be smart with those offers.

That's not the way it works. Every program in the country tries to sign at least one QB per class. We didn't sign one this past signing day. I guarantee The coaches have been scrambling trying to find one. Not an easy task considering 99.9% of the available QBs are off the board.

I feel like I've already mentioned all of this but here it goes again, remedial college football.

1. Depth- Three scholarship QBs are on the roster, one is still currently ineligible and one is hurt

2. Practice Reps- If you've never been to a college football practice I'll break it down. Practices are broken down into separate periods marked: Individual, Group, and Team. During Individual periods, the players go with their position coaches to work on technique and to get warmed up. During Group the QBs will break up with the backs and WRs. half the QBs and Backs will work on footwork and exchanges while the other QBs, with half the backs and all the WRs, will run pass patterns. During the team portion, the 1st and 2nd team Offense will play against the scout D while the scout team O will play against the 1st and 2nd team D. At some point the coaches may want to see 1's vs 1's or simultaneously run 1's vs. 2's at opposite ends of the field. My point is, you need a full complement of players to run practices like this. Having 3 QBs makes it difficult for everyone to get work in. Yeah, you could throw in a walk-on but, believe it or not, there is a significant talent drop off between a walk-on and a scholarship level player. Even if that scholarship player is from a JUCO.

3. Attrition- There is a reason we sign 25 players per year and only end up with a handful of SRs every year. Chances are Chugs or Saunders or both won't be here to see their SR years. I'll bet the offensive coaches are losing sleep over their QB situation after Grier. We have scholarships open due to players leaving early, transferring, and flat-out quitting. We can take a flyer on one of the few QBs remaining in the country. Whether he ever plays a down or not for us is irrelevant. He's an insurance policy. Maybe he develops into something like Howard did. One thing on Howard. I know a lot of people trash him, but this team wouldn't have made it to a bowl this year without him. INstead, we won 10 games. He was frustrating to watch at times, but he held things together. I think 2016 will be remembered as the beginning of a special run for this program. Anyway, more guys are going to leave. The recruiting coordinator, who's name escapes me at the moment, said we're shooting for the stars at the QB position with this next class. If we land a big timer there will be a number of other chips that fall. The JUCO kid may just be a placeholder for the reasons mentioned above.

Posted on: 4/16/2017 8:08 am

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
I'm fine with getting him if we have extra spots open and need him as you stated above. I hope thats the only reason they would recruit him for though. I hate to waste a ton of time trying to coach a kid up when the best he'll be is a subpar D1 QB. Time and resources of coaches hugely important. After watching Chugs, (and I'm really rooting for him since he went to same HS I did), I almost feel like it was waste, should of gone after someone better. I guess there was a reason WVU was only power 5 team that recruited him, not even hometown Rutgers wanted him. Two plus years wasted trying to coach him up but you need to have more raw talent. I hope I'm wrong on Chugs, but his third season coming up, and I didn't see much more than backup material. Talent just isn't there for a D1 Power 5 starter. I hope I'm wrong though.

Posted on: 4/16/2017 10:40 am

Party Machine
From Barboursville, WV
Did some of you not see Dana's presser last week? He discussed this at length.

They used to freak when they did not have every single scholarship handed out on Nat'l LOI day. Over the last 5 years, that has evolved into getting the best athletes that you can and, if you have 4 or 5 left over, beat the JUCO bushes and pluck some guys that can help your team now.

We have been so successful at doing this, Dana said he now stresses over whether we'll have a couple left rather than using them all.

The point is, Grier is currently under suspension, Chuggs is his back-up, Saunders is limited and Sills is a starting WR who needs to focus on WR only (for the very first time). Who does run the scout team in 2 months? Chuggs? He may be our starting QB for games 1-6. Who will be heir apparent to Grier? Skyler hurt my eyes many times but I'm smart enough to be thankful we had him. Chuggs and Crest? Did you watch?

Mark my words...with Spav and Dana back together, we will begin to pull quality QB's.

But we've got to get through this season first. And we do have several scholarships available (Dana made it sound like 4 or 5) and he was grinning about signing someone this week where the smaller college held them out of spring ball trying to hide them from the likes of us.

Posted on: 4/16/2017 2:58 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
David Isreal committed to WVU.

This is a good pickup. WVU needed a quarterback for the class, he has four years to play three, he is a decent size (6'2, 190)and he had 2,200 yards of offense as a freshman at the JUCO level.

Posted on: 4/16/2017 2:59 pm

Party Machine
From Barboursville, WV
Redshirt/scout team and another year with Grier starting and we could have an upper classmen ready to step in when Grier leaves. If not, somebody to run scout team for 3 years. This is an okay pick-up with a good possible upside. NOBODY got excited when they brought Pat White in. Thankfully Bednarik got hurt.

Posted on: 4/16/2017 3:21 pm

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
Quote:

eers_fan wrote:

... he was grinning about signing someone this week where the smaller college held them out of spring ball trying to hide them from the likes of us.

Probably one of these guys:

Marques Ford
Gibsonton, FL (East Bay)
Strong-Side Defensive End
Ht 6-4 Wt 235 CLASS OF 17

Wiley Lester
Oklahoma City, OK (Putnam City)
Defensive Tackle
Ht 6-5 Wt 285 CLASS OF 17

Isaiah Johnson
Warner Robins, GA (Northside)
Defensive Tackle