Re: NCAA Tournament Thread
Pitt Hater
Quote:

GONZOeer wrote:
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:
Quote:

Hawkins97 wrote:
Nice article about Beilein and his comparison of our 2005 team to this year's Michigan team.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spor ... hn-beilein-path/99473222/

Who is Beilein?

The guy who saved the program after a coach bailed on us weeks after being hired and Huggs turned us down the first time.

Oh that guy, the one that saved all of WVU sports. I remember him now. Haha, sarcasm, just funnin' you.

Posted on: 3/22/2017 11:23 am

Re: NCAA Tournament Thread Lunchtime Links
Pitt Hater

Posted on: 3/22/2017 11:25 am

Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:
Quote:

GONZOeer wrote:
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:
Quote:

Hawkins97 wrote:
Nice article about Beilein and his comparison of our 2005 team to this year's Michigan team.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spor ... hn-beilein-path/99473222/

Who is Beilein?

The guy who saved the program after a coach bailed on us weeks after being hired and Huggs turned us down the first time.

Oh that guy, the one that saved all of WVU sports. I remember him now. Haha, sarcasm, just funnin' you.

I still like Beilein. He did some good for WVU, and he left in a proper fashion. Unlike some other coach who left for Michigan.

Posted on: 3/22/2017 11:30 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
Quote:

GONZOeer wrote:

I still like Beilein. He did some good for WVU, and he left in a proper fashion. Unlike some other coach who left for Michigan.

I do too. He's a good coach who never promised us anything and didn't dick us over when he moved on.

Posted on: 3/22/2017 12:06 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Originally, Lester WV, now, Richmond, "East" Virginia

It was Pittsnogle . . ..

Posted on: 3/22/2017 12:17 pm

Quote:

LesterBoy wrote:

It was Pittsnogle . . ..

Just awesome. Great find.

Here's another great article from WVi, an interview with Gary Browne and Juwan Staten.

http://www.wvillustrated.com/story/34 ... he-origin-of-wvus-defense

Before there was an identity in Morgantown that led a fan base to alter the first name of its home state, there was a basketball program desperate for success.

Bob Huggins had just finished coaching two seasons that failed to yield an NCAA Tournament appearance, three of his top five scorers had decided to jump ship and those who remained faced uncertainty as to what the future of West Virginia University basketball had in store.

Two seniors, Gary Browne and Juwan Staten, saw the finish line of their collegiate careers approaching more rapidly than they were prepared to accept. When their head coach offered a potential solution to their collective misery, they were all ears.

“I remember that summer. It was a pretty rough summer,” Staten said from Finland, where he currently plays professional basketball. “Huggs just brought me and Gary in, he brought us in separately, and he told us we’re going to switch things up.”

Huggins told his senior guards that they would be part of a transition to a style of basketball that had once served him well in his days as head coach at the University of Cincinnati. They were going to start playing 94 feet of basketball. They would press and trap from the opening tipoff until the final horn sounded and it would work.

It had to work.

West Virginia finished the 2014-15 season with the most steals in the nation and the best turnover margin for a Power 5 school by a long shot. The result was a return to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2012 and the program’s third Sweet Sixteen under Huggins.

Two years later, Press Virginia is back in the Sweet Sixteen for the 10th time in school history. WVU has led the NCAA in steals and in turnovers forced since the season began. It is no longer a new concept to an entire roster, but rather a system that seems poised to remain in Morgantown with veterans teaching rookies on an annual basis.

Browne and Staten consider it part of their legacy that a system they embraced partly out of desperation is now the bread and butter at WVU.

“They were freshmen in that game [against Kentucky in 2015] and it was the biggest game in their career up to that point, so they got a taste of that,” Staten said of juniors Jevon Carter, Daxter Miles Jr. and Elijah Macon. “It wasn’t a good taste, but it should also fuel their fire and let them know now that this Gonzaga team that we’re about to play is not as good as that Kentucky team that we played two years ago. They should have all the confidence in the world and be ready to step into this game.”

“I love them boys. I saw them grow, basically, from freshman year to their junior and senior years. I’m really proud of them,” Browne said. “It doesn’t matter the results that they have, I’m still going to be proud of them for doing what they did because it’s not easy to go day by day out there in class, weights and practice and having to travel all those miles and come back. It’s very hard. That’s what people don’t see.

“I want them to win a national championship just because they work so hard and the state needs it and that’ll be Huggs’ first championship and I want to see him win one.”

One thing I've noticed from player quotes this week...they don't just want to win a title for themselves. They don't just want to win a title for the school...or the state. Most importantly....they want to win one for Huggins.

That's special.

Posted on: 3/22/2017 12:38 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Never forget

Attach file:

jpg  p1_033005_pittsnogle_getty.jpg (31.23 KB)
2916_58d2b75f6f190.jpg 300X378 px

Posted on: 3/22/2017 12:42 pm

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
How can that be 12 years ago? That gave me chills and made me a little emotional. Damn, that's good stuff!

Posted on: 3/22/2017 1:38 pm

Eat Shit Pitt

WV factory worker won $100k from Warren Buffet

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/21/news/ ... et-competition/index.html

Warren Buffett's NCAA bracket challenge has a winner.
A West Virginia factory worker won $100,000 for correctly picking the first 29 games of the basketball tournament's first round, outlasting everyone else who entered the competition for Berkshire Hathaway (BRKA) employees.

He also picked the winners of the 31st and 32nd games correctly. The 30th game, between Marquette and South Carolina, cost him big time. If he had correctly picked South Carolina to win, he would have pocketed $1 million with a perfect first-round bracket.

Man...31 out of 32....1 pick away from $1M.

Posted on: 3/22/2017 1:40 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Springfield
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:
Never forget

He was the hero but this was the best player on that team.

Open in new window

Posted on: 3/22/2017 6:17 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Originally, Lester WV, now, Richmond, "East" Virginia
Quote:

SchmittBreal wrote:
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:
Never forget

He was the hero but this was the best player on that team.

Open in new window

I'm going off-topic, but I am sure no one will mind. Here's an update on Gansey's career, which has transitioned from the court to the front office as General Manager of the D-League team the Canton Charge. The article is from 2015, but I checked and he still has the same job.

Posted on: 3/23/2017 7:54 am

Makin' it Rain
From Eastern WV
The AZ / Xavier finish was great. What a game. Good to see an underdog win.

Posted on: 3/23/2017 11:50 pm

Pitt Hater
From Rockville, MD
Wow, Baylor lost by an unbelievable effort by South Carolina.

Posted on: 3/24/2017 8:42 pm

Party Machine
Wow! Just watched the end of the Wisconsin Florida game won by Florida in overtime on last second 3 pointer 84-83. Badgers missed ton of foul shots in OT....reminds me of us. Tough loss for the cheese heads. They feel worse than we did last night.

Posted on: 3/24/2017 11:59 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
You know, Baylor losing makes me feel a little better after what happened to us. Misery loves company.

Posted on: 3/25/2017 4:35 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Jevon Carter's mom posted on facebook that Carter went to the gym at 1 o'clock in the morning. She said she told him to take some time off, rest your legs, and then go back at it in a week or two, you don't have a game tomorrow. Carter replied "Gonzaga does. Mom I gotta go"

Posted on: 3/25/2017 6:55 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Here is the post.

Attach file:

jpg  17498562_1573243382704508_606186305059949958_n.jpg (45.68 KB)
2916_58d6619c83c95.jpg 360X531 px

Posted on: 3/25/2017 7:25 am

Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:
Jevon Carter's mom posted on facebook that Carter went to the gym at 1 o'clock in the morning. She said she told him to take some time off, rest your legs, and then go back at it in a week or two, you don't have a game tomorrow. Carter replied "Gonzaga does. Mom I gotta go"

Could Carter have a Butler-like senior season? I think so.

Posted on: 3/25/2017 7:34 am

One thing I've come to embrace the past few days...

We were one or two possessions from beating one of the best teams in the country, and did beat 2 others in Baylor and Kansas.

You know what that means?

We're part of that group. WVU is one of the best teams in the country this year. We're not a 2nd tier team this year.

That's pretty awesome.

Posted on: 3/25/2017 10:49 am

Pitt Hater
From Athens GA
Not a good time to be living in SEC country.

Posted on: 3/25/2017 2:58 pm

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved