We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 ... 208 209 210 (211) 212 213 214 »

Re: WVU Football Thread for Things That Don't Need Their Own Thread
Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Wait, is that saying we are ranked 11th? Or that Gary Jennings the 11th best underrated player of top 25 teams?

Posted on: 6/26 8:51 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Pitt Hater
From SW FL
...the Mountaineers' passing attack figures to be among the best in the country

damn straight !

Posted on: 6/26 9:13 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Dunedin FL
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:
Wait, is that saying we are ranked 11th? Or that Gary Jennings the 11th best underrated player of top 25 teams?

They have us ranked #11 pre-season.

Posted on: 6/26 9:32 pm

Makin' it Rain
From North Central, WV
Quote:

FL77Mounty wrote:
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:

That’s pretty good considering how we finished last season.

Posted on: 6/26 11:06 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

EERY wrote:
Quote:

FL77Mounty wrote:
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:

That’s pretty good considering how we finished last season.

And with all the questions we have on the defensive side, they must really be putting stock into this offense.

Posted on: 6/26 11:21 pm

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
I think the first 11 in offense is elite, I think the first in 11 in defense is very good, barring injuries the team could play with any team. But as we all know injuries happen, and we have no depth on defense. So are season prob. derails halfway through.

Posted on: 6/27 7:04 am

Pitt Hater
Quote:

Proud2BanEer wrote:

I never get tired of watching this.

Posted on: 6/27 7:33 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Dunedin FL
Here's some interesting stuff from Blue-Gold News, posted a few days ago:

"West Virginia’s offense is getting so much hype that it’s hard to believe any Mountaineer on that side of the football is going under the radar.

After all, nearly three-quarters of WVU’s offensive starters were named to Big 12 preseason first- (quarterback Will Grier, receiver David Sills, center Matt Jones and tackle Yodny Cajuste) or second-team (running back Kennedy McKoy, receiver Gary Jennings, tackle Colton McKivitz and all-purpose Marcus Simms) by Lindy’s or Athlon preseason preview magazines.

But two Mountaineer offensive players who haven’t gotten a whole lot of outside attention are garnering a great deal of praise from West Virginia’s coaches this summer. Thus WVU fans should pay particular attention to senior tight end Trevon Wesco and redshirt freshmen running back Alec Sinkfield.

At 6-foot-4 and 270 pounds, Wesco has the size to be an excellent blocking tight end, and the former Musselman (W.Va.) High School quarterback also has the athletic ability to be a factor in the pass game. Coaches have cited his leadership skills, and they also have noted that his work ethic in the past six months has really improved his all-around tight end play.

As for Sinkfield, he’s not especially big at 5-foot-9 and 186 pounds. But the youngster from Delray Beach, Fla., reportedly has a toughness that belies his size. He’s also getting acclaim for his speed, his ball skills and attitude. Despite the presence of more experienced backs like Kennedy McKoy and Martell Pettaway on WVU’s depth chart, Sinkfield is going to make a major push for the starting job heading into the 2018 season.

The Mountaineer football team added a couple walk-on cornerbacks to its roster recently.

Barry Moreland comes to WVU after having spent two years at Central Lakes College in Staples, Minn. A 5-foot-11, 194-pound cornerback, Moreland amassed 57 tackles and five interceptions in his two junior college seasons. Moreland is a native of Zion, Ill.

West Virginia also added Jaelen Gross. A 6-foot-2, 176-pound native of Lusby, Md., Gross was a dual-threat quarterback at Patuxent High School, but also saw action at receiver during his prep career. He will line up at cornerback for the Mountaineers.

Only time will tell how much either Moreland or Gross play for the Mountaineers, but the two walk-ons certainly provide depth to the cornerback position. WVU now has eight cornerbacks on its roster, six of whom are scholarship players. West Virginia could potentially add another cornerback before the start of preseason camp in August, as it is still waiting on UCLA grad transfer Denzel Fisher, who is finishing up graduation requirements."

https://bluegoldnews.com/west-virginia ... ews-notes-rumors-june-25/

Posted on: 6/27 10:20 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Madison, AL
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:
Quote:

Proud2BanEer wrote:

I never get tired of watching this.

Yes Sir.

Posted on: 6/27 8:44 pm

Pitt Hater
From SW FL
84% wrong

Posted on: 6/27 11:04 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

FL77Mounty wrote:
Here's some interesting stuff from Blue-Gold News, posted a few days ago:

"West Virginia’s offense is getting so much hype that it’s hard to believe any Mountaineer on that side of the football is going under the radar.

After all, nearly three-quarters of WVU’s offensive starters were named to Big 12 preseason first- (quarterback Will Grier, receiver David Sills, center Matt Jones and tackle Yodny Cajuste) or second-team (running back Kennedy McKoy, receiver Gary Jennings, tackle Colton McKivitz and all-purpose Marcus Simms) by Lindy’s or Athlon preseason preview magazines.

But two Mountaineer offensive players who haven’t gotten a whole lot of outside attention are garnering a great deal of praise from West Virginia’s coaches this summer. Thus WVU fans should pay particular attention to senior tight end Trevon Wesco and redshirt freshmen running back Alec Sinkfield.

At 6-foot-4 and 270 pounds, Wesco has the size to be an excellent blocking tight end, and the former Musselman (W.Va.) High School quarterback also has the athletic ability to be a factor in the pass game. Coaches have cited his leadership skills, and they also have noted that his work ethic in the past six months has really improved his all-around tight end play.

As for Sinkfield, he’s not especially big at 5-foot-9 and 186 pounds. But the youngster from Delray Beach, Fla., reportedly has a toughness that belies his size. He’s also getting acclaim for his speed, his ball skills and attitude. Despite the presence of more experienced backs like Kennedy McKoy and Martell Pettaway on WVU’s depth chart, Sinkfield is going to make a major push for the starting job heading into the 2018 season.

The Mountaineer football team added a couple walk-on cornerbacks to its roster recently.

Barry Moreland comes to WVU after having spent two years at Central Lakes College in Staples, Minn. A 5-foot-11, 194-pound cornerback, Moreland amassed 57 tackles and five interceptions in his two junior college seasons. Moreland is a native of Zion, Ill.

West Virginia also added Jaelen Gross. A 6-foot-2, 176-pound native of Lusby, Md., Gross was a dual-threat quarterback at Patuxent High School, but also saw action at receiver during his prep career. He will line up at cornerback for the Mountaineers.

Only time will tell how much either Moreland or Gross play for the Mountaineers, but the two walk-ons certainly provide depth to the cornerback position. WVU now has eight cornerbacks on its roster, six of whom are scholarship players. West Virginia could potentially add another cornerback before the start of preseason camp in August, as it is still waiting on UCLA grad transfer Denzel Fisher, who is finishing up graduation requirements."

https://bluegoldnews.com/west-virginia ... ews-notes-rumors-june-25/

I bought Phil Steele’s magizine yesterday and I put a lot of stock into what he says. He has us 4th in the league but says we can definitely win it and the difference between us TCU and UT is minuscule, and can easily see us 11-1 or 7-5. He also has Sinkfield as our feature back, which is interesting because he rates McKoy as the 24th best RB there is among sophomores and up. One silver lining from the Grier injury is we ran the wildcat with a lot of success with McKoy. I’d like to see that wrinkle from time to time

Posted on: 7/2 1:04 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

WVUswim wrote:
I bought Phil Steele’s magizine yesterday and I put a lot of stock into what he says. He has us 4th in the league but says we can definitely win it and the difference between us TCU and UT is minuscule, and can easily see us 11-1 or 7-5. He also has Sinkfield as our feature back, which is interesting because he rates McKoy as the 24th best RB there is among sophomores and up. One silver lining from the Grier injury is we ran the wildcat with a lot of success with McKoy. I’d like to see that wrinkle from time to time

I'm gonna try my damnest to not get so emotionally invested in this season just because I know it could be great or bad. Will it work? Probably not. It's honestly a vicious cycle.

Posted on: 7/2 6:44 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

apizzle wrote:
Quote:

WVUswim wrote:

I'm gonna try my damnest to not get so emotionally invested in this season just because I know it could be great or bad. Will it work? Probably not. It's honestly a vicious cycle.

Why not get invested? Life is too short not to. I turned 35 last week. I’m hoping for 50 more years. WVU has legitimately competed for a national title in 88, 93, 07, and fringe competed in 96, 08. That’s 5 times if we are being generous in my life, once every 7 years and I wasn’t a fan till 2000. So I realistically have 7 seasons where we can compete for a playoff appearance in a 4 game playoff, maybe 1 or 2 times we will make it in my life. If it goes to 8 or 16 maybe more. But I’m hopeful this can be one of those years. The offense will score a ton as long as Grier stays healthy. The starting 11 is fine on defense, and the kicking can’t be worse. To me the key is going to be health to our regulars on defense. A light year on the injury front on the defensive side will make us hard to beat. But by all means, get emotionally invested. It is the spice of life

Posted on: 7/3 10:55 am

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Well because the environment is different now since the Playoffs started. I completely agree with Apizzle, its hard to get so emotionally invested in a WVU football team, I think 2012 was probably the hardest I went through.

Its nearly impossible for a Tier 2 team to win the National title now. Schools like Alabama, Ohio State, FSU, just have so much more talent. Now you most likely have to play two of the schools to win a title versus like WVU in 2007 we'd only have to play one.

But yes, this is probably the most talented team we've had since 2011,

Posted on: 7/3 7:53 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

WVUswim wrote:
Why not get invested? Life is too short not to.

The answer to your question is I get a little too invested haha, I'm only 25, very young still, but I'm in medical school, first semester, I took Saturdays for WVU games off no matter what, excited at what Grier could bring us, to watch it crash down at the end of the season. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely bleed gold and blue, but to let 18-22 year olds dictate happiness is silly, I can't keep getting frustrated at a loss and letting it piss me off the rest of the day.

I go genuinely think we can be good, we have the starting pieces to be very good, as everyone else very worried about depth. We'll see how much these grad transfer gel on the defensive side, and hope we have some studs as Freshman to fill holes. I genuinely believe we have the ability to make it a special year, but if things go south I just want to remind myself to take a step back, and that it'll be okay.

I agree with james on the playoff system, it's not a one game take all situation, you gotta win 2 games against some INCREDIBLE competition, which is an uphill battle to begin with. Will I see it in my lifetime?? I don't have the answer to that, but I sure hope to. I know that I'm happy with our brand, and what our program is known for. We have guys that are 3 star recruits that work their ass off and end up loving this state known for it's hard work and they end up loving it, and embracing us natives. They understand what it means to put that Flying WV on, and what it means to the fans that tune in around the world. I'll take that 10/10 times, and just hope the elusive National Championship comes with it.

Posted on: 7/3 9:49 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
You'll learn soon enough to just not care. But for some reason you catch yourself getting excited on gamedays. Every year brings the same things. Ridiculous optimism, a good or incredible start, then a **** dumpster fire halfway or near the end of the season to just crush any amount of hope the fanbase had. Mix that in with a bunch of schmucks calling for the entire coaching staff to be executed and the other half saying they will die for the coaching staff and you have a WVU football season. Rinse, wash, repeat. The 3 things every Mountaineer fan says at the end of the season:

What if
Almost
And next year.

Posted on: 7/4 8:28 am

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Pretty much sums it up the last 28 seasons for me.
Upon season ending, I think the 2005 and 2011 season were the best, in the sense you felt great about the Bowl win, and that next season you had legit shot to win National title.
Of course it ended up being more of the, What If, Almost, and next year.

Posted on: 7/4 10:02 am

Pitt Hater
From austin, tx
Still, a bunch of great plays and exciting games every year. I still love to replay Tavon Austin clips.

Posted on: 7/4 10:02 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:
You'll learn soon enough to just not care. But for some reason you catch yourself getting excited on gamedays. Every year brings the same things. Ridiculous optimism, a good or incredible start, then a **** dumpster fire halfway or near the end of the season to just crush any amount of hope the fanbase had. Mix that in with a bunch of schmucks calling for the entire coaching staff to be executed and the other half saying they will die for the coaching staff and you have a WVU football season. Rinse, wash, repeat. The 3 things every Mountaineer fan says at the end of the season:

What if
Almost
And next year.

Haha you forgot the analyzing the roster, and looking and being like, **** we could be pretty good next year, and starting the hype train up back again. I really feel like we never get lucky bounces, etc. it's almost like being a WVU fan is like an abusive relationship. You know it's bad for you, but you keep coming back.

That being said, I agree it is still entertaining to watch our guys, we've had some explosive players suit up for the Old Gold and Blue, just hoping that one day instead of disappointment, it's just pure joy.

Posted on: 7/4 8:36 pm

Pitt Hater
From SW FL
I still -STILL- have a pair of awesome Mountaineer glasses in the wrap waiting for the champagne . . .

Posted on: 7/4 9:10 pm

« 1 ... 208 209 210 (211) 212 213 214 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved