« 1 ... 209 210 211 (212) 213 214 215 »

Re: WVU Football Thread for Things That Don't Need Their Own Thread
Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Quote:

apizzle wrote:
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:
You'll learn soon enough to just not care. But for some reason you catch yourself getting excited on gamedays. Every year brings the same things. Ridiculous optimism, a good or incredible start, then a **** dumpster fire halfway or near the end of the season to just crush any amount of hope the fanbase had. Mix that in with a bunch of schmucks calling for the entire coaching staff to be executed and the other half saying they will die for the coaching staff and you have a WVU football season. Rinse, wash, repeat. The 3 things every Mountaineer fan says at the end of the season:

What if
Almost
And next year.

Haha you forgot the analyzing the roster, and looking and being like, **** we could be pretty good next year, and starting the hype train up back again. I really feel like we never get lucky bounces, etc. it's almost like being a WVU fan is like an abusive relationship. You know it's bad for you, but you keep coming back.

That being said, I agree it is still entertaining to watch our guys, we've had some explosive players suit up for the Old Gold and Blue, just hoping that one day instead of disappointment, it's just pure joy.

Absolutely. I've witnessed some magical moments at both mountaineer fields. We could be 0-10 and if our next game is a home night game then I still feel giddy the night before. Idk what it is to be honest. I just love mountaineer football damnit. It does feel like an abusive relationship. We could be undefeated and blow our chances at a natty, or we could upset a #4 ranked team during a season that's already over. In little towns like mine where I grew up, watching WVU play (or listening on the radio) was all we had. Nobody else understands it. I remember when I was little. Listening with my dad on the radio. Whenever we would score he would pick me up and spin me around. It would piss my mom off every damn time. Lol. Sorry to rant, but it's the fond memories like those that I think a bunch of just love and think back to every time we play. Might be silly, but oh well.

Posted on: 7/4 9:17 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Pitt Hater
From Madhattan
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:
Quote:

apizzle wrote:
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:
You'll learn soon enough to just not care. But for some reason you catch yourself getting excited on gamedays. Every year brings the same things. Ridiculous optimism, a good or incredible start, then a **** dumpster fire halfway or near the end of the season to just crush any amount of hope the fanbase had. Mix that in with a bunch of schmucks calling for the entire coaching staff to be executed and the other half saying they will die for the coaching staff and you have a WVU football season. Rinse, wash, repeat. The 3 things every Mountaineer fan says at the end of the season:

What if
Almost
And next year.

Haha you forgot the analyzing the roster, and looking and being like, **** we could be pretty good next year, and starting the hype train up back again. I really feel like we never get lucky bounces, etc. it's almost like being a WVU fan is like an abusive relationship. You know it's bad for you, but you keep coming back.

That being said, I agree it is still entertaining to watch our guys, we've had some explosive players suit up for the Old Gold and Blue, just hoping that one day instead of disappointment, it's just pure joy.

Absolutely. I've witnessed some magical moments at both mountaineer fields. We could be 0-10 and if our next game is a home night game then I still feel giddy the night before. Idk what it is to be honest. I just love mountaineer football damnit. It does feel like an abusive relationship. We could be undefeated and blow our chances at a natty, or we could upset a #4 ranked team during a season that's already over. In little towns like mine where I grew up, watching WVU play (or listening on the radio) was all we had. Nobody else understands it. I remember when I was little. Listening with my dad on the radio. Whenever we would score he would pick me up and spin me around. It would piss my mom off every damn time. Lol. Sorry to rant, but it's the fond memories like those that I think a bunch of just love and think back to every time we play. Might be silly, but oh well.

Not silly. Thanks for posting. Aside from when we actually went to the game (& I saw some great ones,) the radio call (usually by Jack Fleming) was the end all / be all of any game day.

Let’s Goooooo!

Posted on: 7/4 9:53 pm

Here for the Beer
From Charlie West
My first recollection of seeing WVU on TV was the 1954 Sugar Bowl. The WVU QB was Danny Williams (father of the 1970's QB of the same name). He had grown up in our neighborhood and was a god to us grade schoolers. Unfortunately, the Mounties got curb stomped by Ga Tech to the tune of 42-19.

When we returned to school after Christmas break, I absolutely did not want to talk about the game and went to great lengths to avoid any discussions about it.

Funny, after 6 + decades, things haven't changed a helluva lot. I still avoid the Sunday Sports Section after an embarrassing loss and go out of my way to avoid other fans until at least Tuesday. Guess I should have seen that game as an omen of events to come.

But, as mentioned above, there is always next year. Although time is running short for some of us.

Posted on: 7/5 11:01 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Quote:

hill_William wrote:
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:
Quote:

apizzle wrote:
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:

What if
Almost
And next year.

Not silly. Thanks for posting. Aside from when we actually went to the game (& I saw some great ones,) the radio call (usually by Jack Fleming) was the end all / be all of any game day.

Let’s Goooooo!

MOUNTAINEERS!

Man. Obvious statement. But me, my dad, and grandpa LOVED Jack. Sometimes when I'm feeling really nostalgic I'll pull up the pregame speech when we played PSU close to Halloween.

This one

https://youtu.be/6cifamRWqzE

Posted on: 7/5 11:51 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
I love hearing some of these stories man, being young as I am (as mentioned earlier) I never really got to experience the good old times, I go to Medical School in the Cayman Islands, and met a WVU grad of 89' that described the feeling of watching Major Harris play in person, and it seems like such a treat.

I was spoiled growing up and really understanding football in the peak of 05-07, felt the first real heart break then, went to undergrad at Xavier out of the state and everybody was so damn confused when on Saturdays I was in my standard old gold WVU shirt blarring Country Roads throughout my dorm.

It just means more to us, it's all we have, and I really do hope that we can get an elusive national championship in either football or basketball one of these years, just for what it would mean to the people that come from Almost Heaven.

Posted on: 7/5 4:23 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Good post, apizzle. I love reading and listening to stories too. And before you know it, your stories will be "the good old times". So tell them often.

I'd say one of my favorite moments was in 93 when we beat Miami. We had 4 generations there. My grandfather, my father, myself, and my son. I will never understand how we packed over 70,000 of us in that stadium. But it was FULL. and it was LOUD. I remember reading an article that said that stadium of that night "formed the biggest city in West Virginia" lol. But I will never forget the crazy pandemonium and the ridiculous frenzy the crowd erupted in after Robert Walker galloped into the endzone to give us a 17-14 lead. Holy crap will i never forget how loud that damn stadium was. My son was screaming and crying, I was jumping up and down yelling, my dad had his hands on his head, fingers overlapped onto of his head in utter shock, and my grandpa was just nodding his head up and down and said "there's still 6 minutes and 19 seconds left".

But I will never forget that. I wish there was a video that truly captured how loud that crowd was. What an amazing night. Another was when we FINALLY beat PSU. But to me, personally, nothing beats that 93 game. Maybe our first BCS win. But sentimentally nothing beats that game.

Posted on: 7/5 8:11 pm

Here for the Beer
From Baltimore, MD
My avatar is named for section where best friend and I watched the Walker run in 1993, hands down best sports moment of my life. Row 19.

Posted on: 7/5 9:05 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Madison, AL
For you youngsters. I lived through this. Great moments ended with what if's. Maybe you'll understand my signature.

Posted on: 7/5 10:25 pm

Pitt Hater
From Columbus, OH (via Belpre, OH)
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:
Good post, apizzle. I love reading and listening to stories too. And before you know it, your stories will be "the good old times". So tell them often.

I'd say one of my favorite moments was in 93 when we beat Miami. We had 4 generations there. My grandfather, my father, myself, and my son. I will never understand how we packed over 70,000 of us in that stadium. But it was FULL. and it was LOUD. I remember reading an article that said that stadium of that night "formed the biggest city in West Virginia" lol. But I will never forget the crazy pandemonium and the ridiculous frenzy the crowd erupted in after Robert Walker galloped into the endzone to give us a 17-14 lead. Holy crap will i never forget how loud that damn stadium was. My son was screaming and crying, I was jumping up and down yelling, my dad had his hands on his head, fingers overlapped onto of his head in utter shock, and my grandpa was just nodding his head up and down and said "there's still 6 minutes and 19 seconds left".

But I will never forget that. I wish there was a video that truly captured how loud that crowd was. What an amazing night. Another was when we FINALLY beat PSU. But to me, personally, nothing beats that 93 game. Maybe our first BCS win. But sentimentally nothing beats that game.

The time on the clock is an oddly specific thing to remember after 25 years. And the bit about the stadium capacity being larger than any city in the state was mentioned on the original tv broadcast of this game. You can watch it on youtube. Been brushing up on your WVU football history, comrade? Seems like you're trying a little too hard

Posted on: 7/6 8:15 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Quote:

Strohs wrote:
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:

The time on the clock is an oddly specific thing to remember after 25 years. And the bit about the stadium capacity being larger than any city in the state was mentioned on the original tv broadcast of this game. You can watch it on youtube. Been brushing up on your WVU football history, comrade? Seems like you're trying a little too hard

I wouldn't know about the broadcast, since I was there. Like I said, I read it in an article and it just stuck with me. Because it's interesting that a stadium had a bigger population than the biggest city in the state. Hell, I think it was actually kind of recent that I came across it. Maybe in the last year or so. And yeah I'll always remember that because my grandfather was pretty much like Proud2BanEer. (I dont mean anything bad by that) he just always found reasons to be negative. When we would take a lead he would always say "not for long", or even if we win he always welcomed it with something negative to say. "We could have won by 50 if...". I could tell you what we all wore that game, I could tell you the beer my dad and grandfather were drinking before the game, where we tailgated, and what I grilled. I dont know about you but things that I've enjoyed and love stick with me through the years. Especially a rare occasion such as one where we had 4 generations together. You probably dont have anything like that to look back upon seeing how you have to try and discredit great memories from other porters on a Friday night, you could, but I wouldn't be a douche and try to call you a liar. But then again you are a liberal loser, so that doesnt shock me much.

Posted on: 7/6 8:36 pm

Pitt Hater
That sure does make for a nice story comrade. Give my regards to the Premier.

Posted on: 7/6 9:05 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Quote:

Strohs wrote:
That sure does make for a nice story comrade. Give my regards to the Premier.

Will do, kid.

Posted on: 7/6 11:29 pm

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
I wasn't at that game because I was out of state in law school and had to move heaven and earth to watch the game because it was not a big game to people in Michigan.

I remember when the stadium capacity used to be 65,000 and it would get overfilled--students just using ID for entry I suppose back before lottery entry and such. I have heard the comment many times that the stafium is the largest city in WV on game days and remember the attendance being claimed as 70,000. Back then they announced the attendance at every game also and if a good number, the crowd would roar.

I have no doubt that the game was a special memory for you 1818 and can't imagine why you would make any of that up.

I watched it on TV in Michigan and remember most of the day because Damons Ribs told me earlier in the week they would have the game and then in the morning said they would not, so I had to find someone with a satellite dish--the big old ones--who would go in on the gameday package with me because I couldn't sport the whole day college package on my budget.

I watched the game at a large apartment complex with a bunch of Michigan State fans who were watching MSU play away that day on satellite. I was the only WVU fan in the room. They thought I was a crazy person.

If MSU had played at home or at the same time as WVU, I would have missed the game.

So, yeah, I believe your story.

Posted on: 7/7 10:36 am

Eat Shit Pitt

Pitt Hater
I was in Myrtle Beach during the game. I remember the build up, the weather, everything. I'm as die hard as it gets but I certainly don't remember the time on the clock when Walker crossed the goal line. I find it weird to even mention it. It seems a little like Verbil Kent telling the detective he was in a barber shop quartet in Skokie, IL. Maybe 1818 had to look it up on youtube. But why was that detail so important? Because details are the calling card of the con man.

Posted on: 7/7 12:09 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Quote:

Strohs wrote:
I was in Myrtle Beach during the game. I remember the build up, the weather, everything. I'm as die hard as it gets but I certainly don't remember the time on the clock when Walker crossed the goal line. I find it weird to even mention it. It seems a little like Verbil Kent telling the detective he was in a barber shop quartet in Skokie, IL. Maybe 1818 had to look it up on youtube. But why was that detail so important? Because details are the calling card of the con man.

I don't know if you cant read, or what. I remember it distinctly because it struck a nerve when he said it because he was always negative. I dont get what your problem is and why you are being an asshole. Do you have any proof that you were at the beach? I dont believe you. Seem like a liar to me.

Posted on: 7/7 2:04 pm

WMITC
From Here
Doesn't anybody remember how cold it was? I was there, and I damn near froze to death.

Posted on: 7/7 8:25 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

Sane wrote:
Doesn't anybody remember how cold it was? I was there, and I damn near froze to death.

Though I wasn't there, another game where I almost froze to death was Pat White's Senior Night, the snow, the jersey's the crowd, everything was perfect. I had to put handwarmers in my shoes and gloves otherwise I was going to lose a limb to frostbite.

Posted on: 7/7 11:28 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Quote:

Sane wrote:

Sorry, sane. That's too specific of a detail. Strohs says you weren't there. Better luck next time.

Posted on: 7/8 1:35 am

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
I remember 93' and feeling great about the season, friends congratulating on how good WVU was. Then the bowl game happened and it really took a away from that special season, so to me the 2005 season where we beat Georgia in Sugar was better, bc the future seemed so bright after that game. Knowing that you would have Pat White and Steve Slaton for the next few years. I think we finished with our highest ranking too, 5th in AP poll. It really felt like we were on way to at least win one National Title and bc a powerhouse.

Posted on: 7/8 9:37 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Dunedin FL
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:

1975. Bill McKenzie kicks the 34 yard field goal with 4 seconds left after the 22 yard over-the-shoulder catch, going out of bounds, by Randy Swinson. Down goes Pitt, the goalposts, and couches on Sunnyside. Yes, I was there, and remember at least that much.

Posted on: 7/8 9:37 am

« 1 ... 209 210 211 (212) 213 214 215 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved