We won the Big Least time and again
but the knock was "we didn't play anybody"
what is this a history lesson ?

Posted on: 7/16 5:07 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: WVU Football Thread for Things That Don't Need Their Own Thread
Party Machine
From Charlottesville, VA
I think it is safe to say the 9 Big 12 conference games is way more difficult than most of the years in the Big East. I'm just saying there is no reason to play 2 power 5 teams in the non conference. We can never afford to lose 2 non conference games and expect to get 5 wins in the Big 12. I want to win championships too. But the older I get I have more realistic expectations. We should go to a bowl game every year.

Posted on: 7/16 6:30 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Robertsdale,Al via parkersburg
2014 was, for me, the most exciting season we ever had. Yeah we finished up 7-5 with a loss to A.M but every week it seemed like we were being talked about and how tough our schedule was. We hung in every game and with a couple of breaks could have ended the season 9-3 or 10-2.We played like 7 teams ranked in the top 25.

Posted on: 7/16 6:35 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Robertsdale,Al via parkersburg
7K posts

Posted on: 7/16 6:41 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
I'm with South. You guys are nuts. You do remember that we are WEST VIRGINIA, right? If we played 3 FCS teams and went 12-0 and the 9 conference games were ALL against ranked opponents, EVERYBODY would say that we had a terrible non conference schedule and unless every other top team had 2 losses, we wouldn't make a playoff. I'm loving our beefed up schedule. I think our players are too. Who gets amped to play youngstown state and James Madison? Come on guys, this is good for us, our players, our fan base, and the coaching staff. I'd rather play these tougher opponents and have our coaches learn from a loss (hope to win obviously), than to play James Madison 3 times and learn and gain nothing.

Posted on: 7/16 7:47 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:
I'm with South. You guys are nuts. You do remember that we are WEST VIRGINIA, right? If we played 3 FCS teams and went 12-0 and the 9 conference games were ALL against ranked opponents, EVERYBODY would say that we had a terrible non conference schedule and unless every other top team had 2 losses, we wouldn't make a playoff. I'm loving our beefed up schedule. I think our players are too. Who gets amped to play youngstown state and James Madison? Come on guys, this is good for us, our players, our fan base, and the coaching staff. I'd rather play these tougher opponents and have our coaches learn from a loss (hope to win obviously), than to play James Madison 3 times and learn and gain nothing.

Agreed, names like Tennessee and NC State are important for marketing, at least we're playing competition, and looking to test ourselves, it helps more than hurts unless a lot of injuries happen. We are favored against both of these teams, Tennessee is reeling from the Butch Jones fiasco, and NC State isn't looking that amazing right now either. It'd be different if we scheduled Alabama and Clemson, but these are teams at our level/lower than our level that we should beat and gain some hype for the year. I like the scheduling, I'm much more excited for Tennessee than East Carolina, and I'll just hold on to hope that we don't get too banged up first few weeks.

Posted on: 7/16 7:58 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Lexington, KY (Hurricane, WV is home)
Man up and quit being a bunch of p*ssies. Let's GO!!!!!!

Posted on: 7/16 8:11 pm

Pitt Hater
From Chokie Burg
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:

Open in new window

Posted on: 7/16 9:53 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Eastern WV
I remember when Pitt beat us. Everyone in the crowd held their collective breath while Dick Rod froze up and called Pat White runs over and over. I remember Pat rolling his eyes when a play was called in. We were playing not to lose and every time WVU does that we almost certainly lose.

The people in this state need to quit looking backward and start looking forward. "Oh no, here we go again.", "They were being cocky and lost.", "We don't stand a chance against ***." That is all bullshit negative and backwards thinking. It's the same thinking that has us clinging to a obsolete fuel source. We need to move on and move forward. It's 2018 for God's sake!

We can win! Will will win! We are the best team on the field! We are champions!

(I'm also available as a motivational speaker for children's parties and Bar Mitzvahs.)

Posted on: 7/17 12:20 am

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:

So,, let me ask you in 2014 when Baylor played no one OOC, but yet if they had beaten us, I'm pretty sure for a fact they would of made playoffs. They nearly made it playing no one in OOC, with 1 loss.

Posted on: 7/17 8:09 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Quote:

jameschi wrote:
Quote:

wvufan1818 wrote:

So,, let me ask you in 2014 when Baylor played no one OOC, but yet if they had beaten us, I'm pretty sure for a fact they would of made playoffs. They nearly made it playing no one in OOC, with 1 loss.

Impossible to tell what could have happened. But we do know TCU was left out that one year with one loss I believe. They beat isu like 90-7 the last game of the season and they were left out.

Posted on: 7/17 8:25 am

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
Long term, this scheduling philosophy should be good for us. More eyeballs, more butts in the seats, more exposure to recruits, more money, better competition, more pollster respect, more branding, in the national conversation more with the talking heads, and games that fans can drive to.

Short term, you might bite off more than you can chew in any given season. The OOC teams might be looking at a dominating year and you might be weak and pick up a loss early, or maybe 2, ruining the season to some degree.

Clearly the current philosophy is to have good regional games in the OOC and let us not forget that the Big 12 teams pledged to improve their OOC's so as not to get shut out of the playoffs based on weak scheduling--that was a league mandate and not being able to drive to away games was a fan complaint.

WVU football in the Big 12 is doing what it is supposed to do for the league and the fans. It's OK not to like it, but we should at least remember WHY we are doing it. We may not even like WHY, but this isn't going to change.

Our reasonable, attainable, goal is to finish top half/top third of B12 every year with the ocassional magical year of maybe winning the league. Let's beat OU once before we get too twisted up about winning a National Championship. It could also be argued that if we couldn't do it in the watered down BE when we had our easiest path, we really shouldn't be worried about it now when we would have to beat an OU twice in one season to get to the Playoffs.

We need to re-learn how to enjoy our Mountaineers. This is like the old Big East with Miami and VT and a strong Syracuse and BC and PITT. Savor each game, don't get crazy about the big picture of any season too soon.

I don't see how we win a National Championship unless the B12 goes to 14 teams and 2 leagues or unless the Playoffs expand to 8 teams. I just don't think we can do it in a 10 team B12 with a league championship game--maybe in a few years if we get high quality depth. Until then, I am going to enjoy my Mounties and hope for miracles.

Posted on: 7/17 8:44 am

Eat Shit Pitt

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
I don't see how we win a National Championship unless the B12 goes to 14 teams and 2 leagues or unless the Playoffs expand to 8 teams. I just don't think we can do it in a 10 team B12 with a league championship game--maybe in a few years if we get high quality depth. Until then, I am going to enjoy my Mounties and hope for miracles

Your last quote sums it up, "if we get high quality depth" We don't have it now and I'm not sure if we ever will. Lets be honest its hard for a Tier 2 team to have depth. I remember watching Ohio St's QB's go down one after another, yet they still made playoffs with depth. My point is we need to follow a Tier II team model like Baylor, MIchigan State or Washington did with OOC scheduling.

I think you just cross your fingers and hope we luck out as far as injuries goes, the first 22 can compete with any team is my belief. I really can't think of any team we play where are first 22 isn't better except maybe Oklahoma.

Posted on: 7/17 9:25 am

Pitt Hater
I used to be all for the challenging OOC schedule. It’s fun, and it probably makes us better. When Washington got selected for the playoff in 2016 that all got blown up. They beat one ranked foe, got massacred by another but went 12-1 and backdoored into the playoff. Penn st, Michigan and many others were vastly superior. But PSU went 10-2. They beat like 5 ranked opponents but lost in Ann Arbor without their entire defense and lost to a decent Pitt team on the last play. Penn st was 2 TDS better than Washington, as were many teams that year, but because PSU played somebody with a heartbeat, even as meager as Pitt, they missed out. Had they played Washington’s schedule they’d have been 13-0. The lesson is have some preseason hype and play nobody and you will get in over a really good team with one or two losses. I love playing marquee OOC games, but if we played Marshall, Kent St and YSU and went 8-1 in League play, regardless of how weak the league was that year, we and anyone else would almost always make the playoff

Posted on: 7/17 12:53 pm

Pitt Hater
That said, assuming we go 3-0, we can easily afford one loss and make the playoff. If we are 8-0, we will need to go 4-1 in those final games plus the big 12 title game. Not saying that that will happen but if we play our cards right we could afford one loss

Posted on: 7/17 1:15 pm

Pitt Hater
From Athens GA
"Savor each game, don't get crazy about the big picture of any season too soon."

Bingo. Just win the next game. Try to win a conference championship. Honestly it would take a miracle to win a National Championship at WVU.

The company I work for is involved with a renovation at Sanford Stadium at UGA. New locker room and recruit lounge. Because the west end of the stadium was under construction they only had 82,000 at the spring game this year. The last two years it's been over 90,000. At the spring game. That's what you are up against.

Posted on: 7/17 5:14 pm

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Quote:

WVUswim wrote:
I used to be all for the challenging OOC schedule. It’s fun, and it probably makes us better. When Washington got selected for the playoff in 2016 that all got blown up. They beat one ranked foe, got massacred by another but went 12-1 and backdoored into the playoff. Penn st, Michigan and many others were vastly superior. But PSU went 10-2. They beat like 5 ranked opponents but lost in Ann Arbor without their entire defense and lost to a decent Pitt team on the last play. Penn st was 2 TDS better than Washington, as were many teams that year, but because PSU played somebody with a heartbeat, even as meager as Pitt, they missed out. Had they played Washington’s schedule they’d have been 13-0. The lesson is have some preseason hype and play nobody and you will get in over a really good team with one or two losses. I love playing marquee OOC games, but if we played Marshall, Kent St and YSU and went 8-1 in League play, regardless of how weak the league was that year, we and anyone else would almost always make the playoff

I agree with you 100%, plus when you play three patsies, you can play your second level guys in second half to get them experience and not risk injuries to your first line players.

Posted on: 7/17 7:35 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

jameschi wrote:
Quote:

WVUswim wrote:

I agree with you 100%, plus when you play three patsies, you can play your second level guys in second half to get them experience and not risk injuries to your first line players.

Though this is a distinct advantage to gain experience, even the new red shirting rules might end up helping in that regard since a player can technically play 4 games and still be considered a red shirt, aka if we're blowing out Kansas and Youngstown State, throw in some younger guys, and still save some eligibility, it's valuable to get experience as it helps guys adjust to the quicker pace of the game. So that's a very true argument.

The biggest thing is the hype train though, even when we're good, do you guys remember the last time we got real respect?? The Orange Bowl, the Fiesta Bowl, the Sugar Bowl we were projected to lose, we have to schedule at least teams with a pulse to get somewhat of respect. I 100% believe that if we went 3-0 in a crap OOC, and only lost 1 game, the committee would still end up putting 2 SEC teams in or some crap. Whether it's fair or not isn't the point, it's just kind of the trend.

I also think a better OOC is good for fan numbers, attendance hasn't been amazing last few years, more attendance, more revenue, more money to improve facilities, more chances to recruit at a higher level. The transition to the Big 12 has been massive for that, and the payout is great, but at the end of the day we still have to pull our own weight as well.

Last, though yes, they're teams with pulses, as I mentioned before our OOC isn't THAT challenging. We should start the season 3-0 if we're supposed to be as good as we are, I agree with the stop thinking backwards mentality, in order to belong, you have to prove to belong, why not take down 2 OOC P5 teams on the way?? Both have advantages and disadvantages, but I like it, it's a surefire way to earn SOME respect from the rest of the country because God knows it's hard when you're a Mountaineer.

Posted on: 7/17 7:53 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Eastern WV

Posted on: 7/19 11:05 am

Makin' it Rain
From Eastern WV
WVU Football | Loudest & Best Crowd Reactions compilation HD (Last 10 years)

Posted on: 7/20 2:11 pm

« 1 ... 211 212 213 (214) 215 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved