From St. Louis, MO
Quote:

WVisHome wrote:
Quote:

UncleFestus wrote:
Quote:

WVisHome wrote:
I'm done for the year.

Call me fair weather, Idfc. I'm done. Peace out. Between work, 3rd kid and everything.... That's it.

Enjoy this mediocre bullshit **** season for all of eternity.

C Ya, don't let the digital door hit you in the ass!

Like you've been an integral member of this place.

Fuckoff

Posted on: 9/3 11:41 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Virginia Tech 9/3/2017
Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
I think this is the first game ive seen where one team did not have a penalty thrown on them except for a false start and an unsportsmanlike. No holding? Pass interference? Everything went their way. They fumble, clearly, but nope its a first down for tech even after a review. Our ball clearly goes out of the endzone on a kickoff and its a penalty. Ball thrown over their receivers head on 3rd down? LOL you best believe its pass interference on us. Last play of the game we had 75 holds called against us. You know Damn sure we had 0% chance to score at the end. It was not a neutral site game. It was a **** homw game for tech. Even the announcer was biased. When we would get a first down he either said "... And a wv first down" or he didnt even say anything! But sure enough when vt gets a first down. "FIRST DOWN HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKIEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS". Playing enter sand man when we are about to score. There were even a couole times on 3rd down where they would play a hokie clip like we do on 3rd down to make the crowd get loud. Didnt do that for us once. Bullshit. We disnt stamd a chance.

Posted on: 9/3 11:47 pm

Pitt Hater
From Richmond, Va
I'm leaving FedEx now and have a few thoughts and take aways from the game.

1. That was in now way shape or form a "neutral" game. That was a 100% pro Va Tech setting.

2. The refs gave Va Tech all the home team calls.

3. WVU let a redshirt freshman QB make too many big plays. The defense simply did not rise to the occasion when needed most.

In short, WVU didn't have a great game offensively or defensively. There were times that both sides of the ball could have done much better. There were many times the refs could have been better. WVU was breaking in a lot of new players on both sides of the ball. WVU needed to play better to beat Va Tech AND the refs.

I honestly believed Will Grier was going to lead us to a comeback game tying touchdown, and he almost did. We fell short. They played very well of defense and got every lucky break on offenses and all the favorable calls when they neede them and WVU still almost tied it up late. That's the first time in years we have played a good opponent opening weekend and the boys put on a hell of a show. You'd be crazy to think we are anything other than a top 25 team. These guys played their beat but tonight it wasn't good enough to overcome a decent opponent and some favorable calls for the other team. The future is bright for WVU.

Posted on: 9/4 12:13 am

RadioShark wrote:
This game has been so thisisridic!

Here for the Beer
Just got back from Fed Ex Field. Hate losing this game but what a great game. The atmosphere was just electric and it went down to the last play of the game. People say it was a 100% Virginia Tech home game and while it was definitely a home game I would say more 60/40 Tech. Mountaineer fans brought their A game.

The whole time I am watching this game I kept thinking irrationally to myself "man **** the Big 12". Maybe we will get this feeling for Texas and maybe we currently have it for Oklahoma but this was a rivalry game even though they haven't played in years.

I need to watch the replay but the pass interference call that seem to be the death blow was a good call but completely unnecessary since he wasn't going to catch it inbounds. Of course using that logic it shouldn't have been a flag but there was contact.

Wasn't impressed with Grier in the 1st half but man he showed some clutch in the 2nd half. They need that running game to get better because without it they were struggling.

Maybe it is the alcohol talking but that was a hell of a good time. If only we beat them.

Posted on: 9/4 12:34 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
From in your head...
I know people don't like me, but I'm going to be 100% honest...that was the most embarrassing game I've seen in a looooooooooooong time...Will Grier is not what you guys made him out to be, gary jennings is atrocious, Spavital is horrendous at calling plays, if he was any good at it, he would have had people clamoring for him...it's a 7-6 season...

Posted on: 9/4 12:53 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Quote:

TheMac wrote:
I know people don't like me, but I'm going to be 100% honest...that was the most embarrassing game I've seen in a looooooooooooong time...Will Grier is not what you guys made him out to be, gary jennings is atrocious, Spavital is horrendous at calling plays, if he was any good at it, he would have had people clamoring for him...it's a 7-6 season...

Mac we don't agree often. But we damn sure have like minds tonight. Spav is a **** joke. Garbage. His play call was an embarrassment and downright confusing at times. I don't get how people were saying it was a great game. We shot ourselves in the foot every **** time we had opportunities to destroy them. We should have had our backups in during the third quarter but no we played our typical, Hey let's find out every possible way to lose the game, mountaineer football.

Posted on: 9/4 1:07 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
I just can't get over Why gibby didn't blitz the **** out of their quarterback?!!!

Posted on: 9/4 1:19 am

Pitt Hater
From Philadelphia/West Virgina
Got some things to fix but it isn't the end of the world or season.... all you sky is falling fans can't you wait until mid-season?

Posted on: 9/4 6:58 am

Suspected Punter
Spavital has abandoned the run game. We have good running backs and used them sparingly. The air raid offense doesn't work, especially when you don't have speedy receivers.
As I see it, we regressed to when Holgersen first came to WV.
The defense was terrible guarding the pass.

Posted on: 9/4 7:51 am

Here for the Beer
I thought it was a good game. Some play calls were suspect but I'd like to know what calls Grier was making or changing. The next 3 games should be cake games. Should have plenty of time to work out kinks and figure things out. Best game to lose in the race for the CFP is the first game to a ranked team. Hopefully VT runs the table or atleast has a really good season.

Posted on: 9/4 8:24 am

Pitt Hater
From Bradley, WV
I figured there'd be more complaints about Dana's behavior on the sideline. The bad call was one thing, but his penalty on top of it was a drive killer. I hope the A.D. lights his a$$ up over it. He needs to grow the f**k up.

Posted on: 9/4 8:36 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Originally, Lester WV, now, Richmond, "East" Virginia
Quote:

TheMac wrote:

Most embarrassing game you've seen in a looooooooooong time? Please. You obviously did not watch the Oklahoma game last season. WVU had some good and bad play last night, but embarrassing? Get some perspective.

I was at the game, and I was both happy with, and frustrated by, what I saw. Grier was understandably rusty at first, but he got better and better as the game went on. The guy is a gamer. The defense was very good for 80 percent of the plays. The other 20 percent of the defensive plays were killers. I wanted to see more Crawford, but I think that he got dinged during the first half (he spent some time on the bike on the sidelines). Special teams are still very poor. I can't understand why the coaches can't make improvements there. The team has two upcoming games that will allow them to make adjustments and improve. I look forward to seeing if the improvements will come.

Posted on: 9/4 9:10 am

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
Quote:

TheMac wrote:

Ditto

Posted on: 9/4 9:11 am

Here for the Beer
what decided the game:
--the fact that WVU gave up go-ahead TD drives immediately after tying the game on 2 different occasions. VT scored on a 4 play drive and a 2 play drive. One was of course after the kickoff return and Dana penalty.
--not going for it on 4th down at midfield. We had the momentum, their D was gassed; and even if we didnt convert, the time on the clock meant we would get the ball back again if they drove down and scored. Go win the f'ing game.
--poor STs play, completely outclassed. This really ties into both of the above points....just disappointing that this unit likely cost the team the game and this is the unit Holgerson now runs. What the hell.

I actually didnt think Spavital was bad.
I did not like the backwards pass call near the goal line when it was 7-10....that cost us a TD and kept the game at 10-10. I do think he could have run the ball more, it was working more as the game went on.
Other than that, he did OK. Grier missed two TD throws in the first quarter, you cant blame Spavital for that.

And I thought Gibson could have been more aggressive, but the effort was still somewhat respectable given there isnt a lot of talent. Guys can develop over the season, but right now there are not a lot of impact players after we lost so much the last couple of drafts.

Posted on: 9/4 9:33 am

Pitt Hater
I think we will be fine, I like our chances in big 12! We only get better.

Posted on: 9/4 10:13 am

Pitt Hater
From Athens GA
There were a lot of first game mistakes made by both teams, but I thought the essence boiled down to we quite logically had a defensive scheme to pressure the rookie QB and force him to beat us. He rose to the occasion. I don't think either one of those teams is going to lose many games this year.

Posted on: 9/4 10:25 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
From in your head...
Quote:

LesterBoy wrote:
Most embarrassing game you've seen in a looooooooooong time? Please. You obviously did not watch the Oklahoma game last season. WVU had some good and bad play last night, but embarrassing? Get some perspective.

I was at the game, and I was both happy with, and frustrated by, what I saw. Grier was understandably rusty at first, but he got better and better as the game went on. The guy is a gamer. The defense was very good for 80 percent of the plays. The other 20 percent of the defensive plays were killers. I wanted to see more Crawford, but I think that he got dinged during the first half (he spent some time on the bike on the sidelines). Special teams are still very poor. I can't understand why the coaches can't make improvements there. The team has two upcoming games that will allow them to make adjustments and improve. I look forward to seeing if the improvements will come.

We don't play rivalry games anymore, and because of that, unfortunately, it seems a lot of us (coaches, players, students, fans) forget what that means.

Tech and their freshman qb toyed with us last night, it was like watching the mayweather/mcgregor fight. Tech was never up more than a touchdown, yet, at no point was there ever a time they seem worried about us taking the lead.

I thought our d played great, they had their hiccups, but that was expected, testament to how good Gibby is. I thought our o-line played great as well, I havent seen a wvu qb have that much time in the pocket in long time.

What Will Grier did with that time was an embarrassment. You can blame it on rust all you want, but Grier made Skyler Howard look like Tom Brady, accuracy-wise. Grier over threw more passes last night, than Howard did all last year, not to mention when he wasn't over throwing passes, he made sure to throw into double/triple coverage every time. Can someone explain to me Grier's pick? The closest guy was double covered, and yet he still threw it 5 yards short of that guy. He's a gamer??? Not once did I see Grier trying to get the guys motivated on the sideline, I didn't see him even talking to another player on the sideline, he sat by himself, playing with his hair. Again, zero understanding of a rivalry game. I'd personally like to know what kind of deal he cut with Gary Jennings before the game, cause he was the only receiver he looked at, which was extremely frustrating because all Jennings did was drop balls, and not finish running routes. For as many times as he was thrown to, Jennings should have had over 300 yards receiving.

THROW THE BALL TO SILLS!!! I thought Sills was fantastic last night, really excited to see him back, I think he plays on Sunday.

Lastly, **** Jake Spavital...

Wow! One game calling the plays and we've completely abandoned the balance that made us so good last year. You would have thought we were down 40 with as many times as we threw. It's going to be a long year if we continue with those 30 second, 3 and out drives (and it's going to kill our defense). At least when Holgs was calling plays and doing those drives you felt like we could score every time. Last night, if we didn't move the ball after two plays, it was over. Does anybody know what our third down conversion rate was? I know he's Holgs boy, but Spavital hasnt been successful since Manziel was his qb. Holgs needs to take back play calling duties IMMEDIATELY!!!

Posted on: 9/4 10:37 am

WMITC
From Here
At one point last night we had more than 400 yards of offense and they had around 150 -- but they were still ahead. You can't downplay the effect of field position on a football game.

We had a punter who couldn't punt and a punt returner who wouldn't catch the ball, which meant we were playing uphill all night long.

On the plus side, we didn't lose to Liberty.

Posted on: 9/4 10:39 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
From in your head...
Quote:

wvu319 wrote:
I think we will be fine, I like our chances in big 12! We only get better.

If the first week was any indication...that's not saying much, Big 12 looks to be the laughing stock of the power 5, if Oklahoma gets blown out again next week...yikes!

Posted on: 9/4 10:47 am

« 1 ... 35 36 37 (38) 39 40 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved