Brunetti considering Louisville and Miss State
Noob
From Chelyan, WV

Posted on: 1/25/2010 12:55 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Brunetti considering Louisville and Miss State
Noob
From Chelyan, WV
Barry Brunetti described the postseason honor as his biggest yet, being named today to PARADE Magazine's 47th annual All-America High School Football Team.

"This is the biggest one of these awards. This is one of the ones that's legit, where they can really call you an All-American. It's another blessing," said Brunetti, Memphis University School's 6-0, 207-pound senior quarterback. "I'm thankful to have this one because this lives on. This is something that you'll always be remembered for."

Barry Brunetti
Brunetti, who accounted for 2,770 yards and 36 touchdowns this season in leading MUS to its second straight Division 2-AA state title, is just the second Memphis-area prep standout since 2000 to be named a PARADE All-American and 14th overall since 1971.

Former Harding Academy wide receiver Marlon Brown, now at Georgia, was named to the team last year.

"I think it means a lot," MUS coach Bobby Alston said. "I think Barry's earned it because he's done what he's had to do on and off the field to make this happen. He's put in a lot of time and a lot of hard work for this, and he's done it in a way to help his team succeed, too, so I think that's pretty special as well.

"What he's accomplished at our school, from where he came in, the teachers deserve a whole lot more credit than any of us coaches do, because he's got the natural talent for us to work with. But academically he was far behind, so he's had to really work hard to get caught up and get it going, and this is really nice for him."

This weekend Brunetti, a West Virginia commitment and one of the nation's top-ranked dual-threat quarterback prospects, said he'll decide whether to sign with the Mountaineers, Mississippi State or Louisville. The first day of the regular signing period is Feb. 3.

"I'll really have an official (decision) by this weekend," Brunetti said Sunday after returning from an official visit to Louisville.

Brunetti had been firmly committed to West Virginia since June, but late recruiting pushes by Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen and recently hired Louisville coach Charlie Strong convinced Brunetti to consider his options.

He visited Mississippi State last weekend, then received an in-home visit Thursday from Mullen. West Virginia coach Bill Stewart will visit Brunetti on Tuesday, followed by Strong on Thursday.

"Louisville is in the mix," Brunetti said. "They would be really in the mix if they would have come earlier. I'm not saying they're out of the race, because I can't look past what they've got and what coach Strong is going to build there.

"But at the same time, it's always been (Mississippi) State and West Virginia."

Rivals.com ranks Brunetti a four-star prospect and the No. 3 senior dual-threat quarterback prospect nationally.

The entire 47th annual PARADE team, selected by coaches, journalists, scouts and recruiters, will be published in the Sunday edition of PARADE Magazine, which is included in The Commercial Appeal

Posted on: 1/25/2010 1:04 pm

Anonymous
Account_DeletedAnonymous
He's coming here, he's just sayin these other schools are in the mix to generate some interest. Relax peeps.

Posted on: 1/25/2010 1:25 pm

Suspected Punter
notsoldtimer, you are a lot more confident than I am that he is coming. Losing Doc, 5 commits, and hiring an assistant that has no strong recruiting base makes me terribly uneasy about the direction of program.

Posted on: 1/25/2010 1:39 pm

Suspected Punter
From williamstown,wv
Direction of the program is just fine. Only 2 of those 5 are definitely gone, and equal or better talent is being successfully recruited. Wait till 2/3. You'll be very pleasantly surprised.

Posted on: 1/25/2010 1:52 pm

Anonymous
Account_DeletedAnonymous
I guess so eerful, losing Holliday doesn't bother me at all.

Posted on: 1/25/2010 2:10 pm

Party Machine
From The Desert
Stew closes the deal tomorrow with Brunetti. And I think we pick up two of the stud WR's we're pursuing.

Just as much as MSU or Louisville is an easier place to get playing time as a QB is as WVU for WR's.

Geno hurting his foot only helps our cause right now.

Posted on: 1/25/2010 2:14 pm

Suspected Punter
From Sneads Ferry, NC
Notsooldtimer and Sverkoo -- thank you for lowering my blood pressure several points. I like your confidence and I will wait until Feb 3rd to see where we end up in recruiting. But what if Brunetti talks L. Anderson into going with him to...er..never mind...I'll wait and see. Thanks again!

Posted on: 1/25/2010 2:35 pm

Pitt Hater
From Pittsburgh
Quote:

Eerful wrote:
notsoldtimer, you are a lot more confident than I am that he is coming. Losing Doc, 5 commits, and hiring an assistant that has no strong recruiting base makes me terribly uneasy about the direction of program.

McMichael recruited Bulger, Canute Curtis, Chuck Fisher, Mike Logan, 'Sheed, Alvoid Mays, Solomon Page, Sauerbrun, Brian Snider and Mike Vanderjagt just to name a few, I'd say he's a mediocre recruiter and a lot of those names are synonymous with the Western Pa and Eastern Ohio area, which also is a known for mediocre talent like Joe Montana and Dan Marino, yep, we're screwed.

Posted on: 1/25/2010 2:36 pm

Suspected Punter
From ST.Albans
Some you peeps kill me.You are freaking out about a high school kid trying to make his mind up. We got a good quarterback in Gino we will be fine if he does not want to be a Mountaineer than screw this kid we will move on. There will be others out we can go after.

Posted on: 1/25/2010 2:44 pm

Anonymous
Account_DeletedAnonymous
Not only that burley, but how much stock can really be put into this 4 star 5 star crap anytway. Until these kids play against D-1 comp on a daily basis no one knows how good they really are. I mean honestly what was Josh Jenkins? A 5 STAR??? has he really looked all that impressive to anybody? And everybody was all sorts of flippin out when he pulled his verbal after RR left.

Posted on: 1/25/2010 2:54 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Buckeye Country...Unfortunately
BigN187...what does your post have to do with anything regarding Dave McMichael? Sure all of those players you mentioned were good/great players at WVU 10-20 years ago! McMichael hasn't recruited with the big boys since he left for UConn. I can't name one player he recruited to Storrs...and yet you seem to allude to a feeling that he will be able to step right back into western PA and eastern OH and get recruits away from OSU and Pitt right away. That can't be the case, can it? I mean he hasn't been in the big boys in 10 years...a lot has changed since then.

notsoldtimer...You really seem to be taking the stand that this isn't a big deal, but it clearly is, IMO. As a recruit, unless you grow up close to a school or have another attachment to it, then these students could really care less about the school or about being a Mountaineer or being a Bulldog or being a Cardinal. What these players care about is early playing and good relationships with their head coach and position coaches. Yeah, the recruitment star system might not matter at all, but these players are all important in the long run.

Posted on: 1/25/2010 3:45 pm

Anonymous
Account_DeletedAnonymous
Rool, I actually agree with you 100%, except the "big deal" part of it. Holliday would not have been Brunetti's head or position coach, so I don't believe Holliday leaving has anything to do with Brunetti wavering at this point. (I don't think Holliday even recruited Brunetti) I know the players are important and there is no such thing as to many good qb's but if he does go elswhere we do still have Geno here and Jeremy Johnson comin in.

In the end, like I said early i believe he is just talking about these other schools to spark a little media interest in his final decision. He has said all along he is coming to WVU and I believe him. If he doesn't then we have another scholly to give to somebody who does want to be a Mountaineer.

Posted on: 1/25/2010 3:56 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Ecuador, 2 Degrees South
Burley, the jury is still out on Geno. But we know one thing for sure, he has now proven to be injury prone.

I'm not nervouse about 2/3/10 because we s/b OK. QB competition is good for all concerned.

Our recruiting focus from here on out needs to b O-line and D-line. Good lines make everyone look better.

Posted on: 1/25/2010 3:59 pm

Pitt Hater
From Grafton

Posted on: 1/25/2010 6:07 pm

Pitt Hater
From Halifax, VA
According to Rivals Brunetti has said he plans to stick by his commitment and attend WVU. The sky has yet to fall. We may lose a few recruits but so have other major programs. Don't worry about recruits until signing day has passed. This is going to be a good class. Marshall is getting a lot of people because they mostly go after lower rated athletes and offer early playing time. We don't have nearly as many slots to fill this fall so some players will be red shirted and others will see limited playing time.

Posted on: 1/25/2010 6:25 pm

Here for the Beer
From Richmond, VA
I stand corrected, hes a mountaineer now. Now if we can get LA to stay with us, this will by far be the best class ever.

Posted on: 1/25/2010 6:36 pm
“I don’t think other teams are going to be prepared for this. Anything can happen on any given Saturday, but teams better prepare well for it because I don’t think there’s any stopping this offense.” -Ivan McCartney

Topic is Locked

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved