We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: BCS is BS, This is the time for a playoff system.
Suspected Punter
From New Jersey
Also, only have 1 bye week rather then 2. and not allow 1A schools play 1AA schools

Posted on: 11/20/2011 5:49 pm

Suspected Punter
From Aurora, CO
I think NCAA should outlaw all pre-season polls. No polls until week 4. Schools need to move conference play up to week 3-8 (or sooner depending on conference size). No pre-coordinated schedules after week 8. Week 9 is an off week for college football while NCAA build a 4 week "round robin" schedule for the top grouping. the last 4 weeks are a total playoff environment, tons of money, tons of hype for all of those teams that "qualify". One final "title game" and BCS showcases the rest of the NCAA elite. The rest of the bowls are exactly what they are now ... money makers for some crap sponsor nobody ever heard of.

Posted on: 11/20/2011 7:34 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Jacksonville, FL via Parkersburg
I can see you've given this a lot of thought. 6 conference games to determine the "elite" and then a 4 week round robin tournament for the elite.

How many teams play in a 4 week round robin tournament? And the rest of the nation stops at 8 games?

I see you're very concerned about the "elite" playing each other repeatedly, not sure why.

Posted on: 11/20/2011 8:03 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Suspected Punter
From Aurora, CO
I didn't say repeatedly play each other. I'd rather see Alabama and Stanford play each other, or Oregon and Oklahoma state, or any of those teams vs Boise State, than sit back and wait for the LSU-Alabama rematch.

Posted on: 11/21/2011 8:47 am

Makin' it Rain
From Tampa, FL via Elkview, WV
16 team playoff

11 conference champs and 5 at larges.

Once the 11 conference champs are determine use the BCS rankings to determine the 5 highest ranked non-conference winners to be the at larges.

By doing this at the end of the season you should always get the top 10 - 12 ranked teams with the lesser conference champs thrown in.

Use the BCS to seed.

First round games are played at the higher seeds home field.

The Fiesta Sugar Orange Rose and Cotton Bowls are used in a rotation for the second and third rounds.

For example: First year the second round games are at the Cotton, Sugar, Fiesta and Orange. Then the Rose Bowl will host both games of the third round (final four). Then year two the Rose Bowl rotates off and the Sugar rotates in and so on.

The championship game can either be the same location as the final four or it can be a totally different neutral site.

The remaining bowls can be used as consultation prizes for those teams that didn't make the field of 16.

If it were this season it could look like this:

CONF CHAMPS
ACC: VT
BE: WVU
B1G: Michigan State
B12: OSU
Pac12: Stanford
SEC: LSU
CUSA: Houston
MAC: N. Illinois
MWC: TCU
WAC: LA Tech
SUN: Ark State

AT LARGE
Alabama
Arkansas
Boise State
Oklahoma
Oregon

FIRST ROUND
16 Ark State @ 1 LSU
9 Oklahoma @ 8 Houston

12 TCU @ 5 VT
13 WVU @ 4 OSU

11 MSU @ 6 Stanford
14 N. Ill @ 3 Arkansas

10 Oregan @ 7 Boise State
15 LA Tech @ 2 Alabama

Posted on: 11/21/2011 11:05 am

Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
I hope Arkansas beats LSU. I could go for some chaos over the next few weeks.

Posted on: 11/21/2011 11:12 am

From Charlottesville, Virginia
Quote:

GONZOeer wrote:

Me too, so long as WVU wins out and Loovel loses.

Posted on: 11/21/2011 11:18 am

Pitt Hater
From Morgantown, WV
be careful what you wish for.

Posted on: 11/21/2011 1:00 pm

--Richard Petty

Party Machine
From Moundsville, Marshall County, WV
That looks good Jbolt but instead of using the bowls in the playoff format I think you take the 14 losers and place them in bowls accordingly.

The 4 BCS bowls have to rotate each year

This year Orange is lowest on the totem pole so they pick two teams out of the first 8 losers then the other six get placed accordingly into the top Non-BCS bowls.
The 4 losers of round 2 and the 2 losers of round 3 get placed in the last BCS bowls Rose, Sugar, and Fiesta.

With the final two teams playing the NC.

Final four and NC are at different Neutral sites every year.

So the NC, Four BCS bowls, and top 3 non-BCS bowls are set aside for the playoff teams. While all the other bowls can still be used for teams that didn't make the playoffs.

Posted on: 11/21/2011 1:08 pm

Mr. Sunshine on my God damned shoulders John Denver!

Gettin' Schmitty
From Monrovia MD
Nice to see it so thorough F'd up. There will be howls of anger no matter who is matched up and it may help kill the BCS and produce a playoff. 7-5 teams in BCS bowls and four one loss teams left out. Love it. Go Houston!!!

P.S. WVU-Conference Champs? really?

Posted on: 11/21/2011 2:04 pm

Party Machine
From Charlottesville, VA
Just like you, I have been reading and listening to these talks of conference expansions in college football. I am not a fan now of the 12 team conferences for a couple reasons. 1. not every team in the conference plays each other(there are years that a good SEC school has to play 3 or 4 tough conference games and another team only has to play two and they benefit..how is that fair?) 2. they do not play common non conference opponents 3. my biggest pet peeve our the inner divisions in conferences..more times than none the two best teams are not in these "conference championship games."

I think that if the BCS continues...that there should be just a BCS league....take the BCS conferences and a couple other teams that have benifited or could under the BCS and separate them from the Non BCS schools..they can still be the FBS and play in a bowl system different of the BCS...I have realigned these 70 teams into 8 conferences depending on location(lets be honest BC shouldn't be in the ACC, USF should not be in the Big East...Penn St should not be in the Big 11)...6 with 9 teams...2 with 8

#1 Syracuse, Rutgers, UCONN, BC, Penn St, Pitt, WVU, Cincy, Maryland

#2 UVA, VT, UNC, NC State, Duke, WF, ****S, Clemson, Louisville

#3 UF, FSU, USF, Miami, UGA, Georgia Tech, UK, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

#4 OSU, Michigan, MSU, Wisconsin, NW, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Notre Dame

#5 Kansas, KSU, Missouri, Mississippi, Mississippi St, Auburn, Iowa, Iowa St, Alabama

#6 Texas, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Baylor, Oklahoma, Ok St, LSU, Arkansas, TCU

#7 BYU, Utah, Boise St, Minnesota, Colorado, Arizona, ASU, Nebraska

#8 Wash, Wash St., Oregon, OSU, UCLA, USC, CAL, Stanford

Every team will play everyone in their conference and their non conference games will come from a similar league. For example league #1 will play league #4 in non conference games. Just like the NFL...the Steelers play everybody in their division but they also play a similar out of league schedule. But most of all...if you are in the BCS...you play BCS schools

Post season.....in my perfect world...you take the 8 league champs..power rank them and pair them in a playoff....If we have to stay in the bowl system...we need to get somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-20 of the best bowls....BCS champ #1 and #2...but then bowls take turns picking...league champs get first bids.

Please respond if you have any questions or comments I tried to keep all the natural rilvaries...I just think college football is going down a shady path just for $$ but not the best of the game...lets be honest after Thanksgiving college football starts to lose its appeal unless you have a dog in the fight...whereas the NFL starts to heat up at the end of the season

Posted on: 11/21/2011 2:22 pm

Party Machine
SEC would break off from the NCAA before being splintered into three different conferences.

The conference championships may not have the two best teams but the two best teams play each other sometime in the year. Arkansas, LSU, and Alabama will or have all played each other. The NCAA tourney doesn't have all the top 65 teams some top teams get snubbed the WVU team that won the NIT they were in the top 65 teams its happens. Very few doubt the National champs legitimacy in basketball though and that is all people are asking for football.

Posted on: 11/21/2011 2:52 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:

bababooey wrote:
Just like you, I have been reading and listening to these talks of conference expansions in college football. I am not a fan now of the 12 team conferences for a couple reasons. 1. not every team in the conference plays each other(there are years that a good SEC school has to play 3 or 4 tough conference games and another team only has to play two and they benefit..how is that fair?) 2. they do not play common non conference opponents 3. my biggest pet peeve our the inner divisions in conferences..more times than none the two best teams are not in these "conference championship games."

I think that if the BCS continues...that there should be just a BCS league....take the BCS conferences and a couple other teams that have benifited or could under the BCS and separate them from the Non BCS schools..they can still be the FBS and play in a bowl system different of the BCS...I have realigned these 70 teams into 8 conferences depending on location(lets be honest BC shouldn't be in the ACC, USF should not be in the Big East...Penn St should not be in the Big 11)...6 with 9 teams...2 with 8

#5 Kansas, KSU, Missouri, Mississippi, Mississippi St, Auburn, Iowa, Iowa St, Alabama

Every team will play everyone in their conference and their non conference games will come from a similar league. For example league #1 will play league #4 in non conference games. Just like the NFL...the Steelers play everybody in their division but they also play a similar out of league schedule. But most of all...if you are in the BCS...you play BCS schools

Post season.....in my perfect world...you take the 8 league champs..power rank them and pair them in a playoff....If we have to stay in the bowl system...we need to get somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-20 of the best bowls....BCS champ #1 and #2...but then bowls take turns picking...league champs get first bids.

Please respond if you have any questions or comments I tried to keep all the natural rilvaries...I just think college football is going down a shady path just for $$ but not the best of the game...lets be honest after Thanksgiving college football starts to lose its appeal unless you have a dog in the fight...whereas the NFL starts to heat up at the end of the season

You stop that. Making sense in college football doesn't make sense.

Posted on: 11/21/2011 3:57 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Tampa, FL via Elkview, WV
Quote:

bababooey wrote:

If your system was put into play 10 years ago then we would not have Boise State or TCU. As it is, you left out Houston.

This is why I am a fan of the 16 team 11 conference champs with 5 at large that I mentioned above. It gives the little school a chance to compete.

That is the beauty of the basketball tournament. If they would have created a system similar to what you laid out above we would have never had UNLV, Butler, George Mason, and the list goes on.

Also, if my aforementioned idea would have been implemented 20 years ago, there would most likely been little to no conference realignment. Teams would have felt at home where they were currently at because they need not worry about AQ status. If anything it would have driven the independents (Notre Dame)to join a conference.

Posted on: 11/21/2011 5:07 pm

Suspected Punter
Quote:

GONZOeer wrote:

Watch your mouth.

Seriously, though- as much as the BCS is maligned, it generally gets it right. When the smoke finally settles, the two best teams end up in the championship game. For those calling for a playoff, there are several problems with this.

1) To the people call for the top eight teams, you will still have chaos. Who decides who the top 8 teams are? You will still have a need for polls and voters and computer rankings. After all, who will decide between a 9-2 Oklahoma, an 9-2 Stanford and an 9-2 Virginia Tech for your last spot.

2) To the people that say every conference winner should go, that wouldn't be fair either. Which conferences? Are you going to tell me that the winner of the Mountain West or Conference USA should go to the playoffs ahead of an Alabama or Oklahoma or Oregon? No way. On what universe is that fair?

3) Finally, the best thing about college football is that the whole season is a playoff. It totally adds value to it. My team is LSU. Every game has me tuned in. We're 11-0 and two weeks from the championship game, but it could all go up in a puff of smoke with one bad week. Every week, I'm sitting on my couch, gnawing on my fingernails, praying we bring our A game. If I knew we could drop a few games, it wouldn't be nearly as fun.

Posted on: 11/21/2011 6:25 pm

Party Machine
Quote:
Every week, I'm sitting on my couch, gnawing on my fingernails, praying we bring our A game. If I knew we could drop a few games, it wouldn't be nearly as fun.

And if LSU does lose and OSU and Alabama goes to the title that is fair?

Posted on: 11/21/2011 6:29 pm

Suspected Punter
Quote:

jbolt128 wrote:
16 team playoff

11 conference champs and 5 at larges.

Awful idea. College football does not equal college basketball.

First, nobody watches college basketball until March Madness because the regular season means nothing.

Second, there are over 300 colleges that play NCAA basketball. You have to have a broader, more inclusive tourney- especially since on any given night, #287 could beat a top 5 team. This happens far less in college football. The Alabamas, LSUs, and Oregons crush the Northeastern South Dakota Technical States of the world.

Finally, not that I would ever call for a playoff, but if there were one it should be very small- the top four at best. It wouldn't include Arkansas State or the winner of Conference USA or any garbage team like that.

At the end of the day, any playoff or BCS system should involve the best two (or four) teams in the nation, regardless of conference affiliation.

Posted on: 11/21/2011 6:34 pm

Suspected Punter
Quote:

MarshallCo wrote:
Quote:
Every week, I'm sitting on my couch, gnawing on my fingernails, praying we bring our A game. If I knew we could drop a few games, it wouldn't be nearly as fun.

And if LSU does lose and OSU and Alabama goes to the title that is fair?

At this point, if LSU lost to Arky, Alabama would have as good a reason as any to go to the game. The coin will have two sides: we beat Alabama, but Alabama beat Arky- something we didn't do. Would I fight for LSU's case? Sure. But if LSU loses, I can't really call it an outrage if we don't go.

Posted on: 11/21/2011 6:37 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Drexel Hill, PA
Why the fuss? D1-AA plays an 11 game schedule and a 16 team playoff. D1-A started a 12th game in the last decade to avert the 16 team playoff. If the 1-AA people can handle it, why can't better 1-A athletes?

Posted on: 11/21/2011 6:55 pm

Party Machine
I agree maybe there should only be the 6 AQ conferences that their champion goes to a playoff and the other 10 are at-large. Fact is we need a playoff to see who can be crowned the round robin that LSU, Arkansas, and Alabama has doesn't cut there needs to be a next rung where the loser is eliminated.

Seriously LSU would get arkansas state at home that is like a bye.

Posted on: 11/21/2011 6:58 pm

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved