We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 ... 348 349 350 (351) 352 353 »

Re: Conference Armageddon: The Official Conference Speculation Thread
Makin' it Rain
From Canonsburg, PA
Quote:

wvudrew wrote:
I actually think the Big 12 is in a very good position with TV contracts expiring in 2024. I know everyone sees this as the event that will trigger the implosion of the Big 12, but I disagree for one main reason.

We are about to go through a major change in the way sports are watched. Fox, Disney, and CBS will no longer hold an oligopoly on football rights. New online competitors such as Apple TV, Netflix, YouTube, and Amazon are entering the market, and very soon, we will be streaming football on the internet, rather than sticking to traditional tv viewing schedules.

This means that when our tv contracts end in 2024, there will be more competitors bidding for our rights. This puts the Big XII in a much better position, then say the ACC, which is locked in their contracts until the 2030s.

Seems like perfect timing for our contracts to expire, as these new providers will be in full swing by then.

There are probably 100 different ways of looking at this, but to be concerned about contracts expiring 7+ years from now, knowing the game is about to change, just doesn't seem right. I'm betting on WVU coming out just fine.

How is that de-centralization of content supply working out for the music industry? Not well.

Open in new window

$71 per capita in 2000 to $26 today. While I don't deny that access and distribution won't be more widespread I don't think that this adds to the pot of money. I actually see it going the other way.

While you have to remember that while it would seem that more people bidding on the same product would help revenue the problem is that with all of the competition no one will want to spend much money on any individual item as for every potential watcher there will be hundreds of thousands of potential shows to watch.

The hardcore fan of a team will definitely watch. The people you NEED to get for a good amount of money is the casual observer. The casual observer now will watch, say, Texas/Oklahoma or Oklahoma State/WVU or WVU/Pitt because they have a history and they want something to watch. But the fact is when I have potentially thousands of channels to watch something on another channel will trump the football game.

I am not as optimistic about this future from the standpoint of being GOOD for the athletic department. I agree with the "WVU will be fine" argument. I just think all college football will suffer.

Posted on: 10/28/2016 1:08 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Pitt Hater
From columbia,sc
Quote:

wvudrew wrote:
I actually think the Big 12 is in a very good position with TV contracts expiring in 2024. I know everyone sees this as the event that will trigger the implosion of the Big 12, but I disagree for one main reason.

We are about to go through a major change in the way sports are watched. Fox, Disney, and CBS will no longer hold an oligopoly on football rights. New online competitors such as Apple TV, Netflix, YouTube, and Amazon are entering the market, and very soon, we will be streaming football on the internet, rather than sticking to traditional tv viewing schedules.

This means that when our tv contracts end in 2024, there will be more competitors bidding for our rights. This puts the Big XII in a much better position, then say the ACC, which is locked in their contracts until the 2030s.

Seems like perfect timing for our contracts to expire, as these new providers will be in full swing by then.

There are probably 100 different ways of looking at this, but to be concerned about contracts expiring 7+ years from now, knowing the game is about to change, just doesn't seem right. I'm betting on WVU coming out just fine.

That is a very interesting thought.
Already, millennial's are not buying cable, they stream, just like they aren't buying landline phones, they use wireless.
Some are concerned that a lack of internet coverage in rural areas will be an issue with this, but we are talking 8 or so years from now. Even now, less than 20% of the country are not served by high speed, and only 2% cannot get internet at all.
Already, the networks are moving into the streaming media arena. You can get every major network, including foreign channels on Roku right now, and most for free. This is just a precursor to what is going on.
There is a USA Today article in today's edition that is discussing the recently proposed AT&T/Time Warner merger as a desperation move on the part of both entities to try to stave off their inevitable demise.
As these ancient behemoths crumble, with their 1980's technology over the next 5 to 10 years, the whole TV landscape is going to change, and with that, so will the conferences have to change to keep their brand relevant.

Posted on: 10/28/2016 1:55 pm

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
http://www.cbssports.com/college-foot ... s-bad-for-the-conference/

I think I'd have to agree with this article.
If your going to do a conference championship game at least expand to 11 and form two divisions. Bring just BYU in as football only. Split confence to two divisions of 6 and 5. Play 8 confenrence games. I'm pretty sure ESPN and fox will pay pro rata in this case.

If they keep at 10 and still have CCG then this is just a pure money play.

If they started the Conference championship this season, then imagine if WVU actually made it to Baylor unbeaten, and Baylor did also. You would have to win twice to make playoff.

Posted on: 10/28/2016 7:43 pm

Party Machine
From Chucktown
They are smart compared to the Sun Belt.

When the rule changed to allow a ten team league to hold a championship game, the Sun Belt promptly kicked out New Mexico State and Idaho after next year. They will have ten teams when Coastal Carolina joins, which they will either in 2017 or 2018. They plan to start the playoff then.

The commissioner claims this is so the Sun Belt can have a better chance to be the group of 5 rep in the big bowls, or... I need to pause to giggle... snag a place in the playoff.

All of this is dumb for two main reasons.

1) The Sun Belt is the bottom conference in FBS. They might be about equal with CUSA as far as football competence this year, but once you consider TV markets and other sports and so on, the Sun Belt is last. As the last conference, they are subject to being raided. Taking it to ten means they lose the championship game if they lose a team or more likely two.

Meanwhile, the MWC has made no secret they are thinking about expanding into Texas. Plus even though the B12 isn't expanding now, they aren't the most consistent bunch. Either is likely to set off a chain reaction that would end with the Sun Belt losing a team. So it isn't some far fetched idea.

Sure, ten teams instead of twelve means slicing the pie two less ways, but it seems close to the bone. New Mexico State is going indy, which is unlikely to last long, but that means the Sun Belt can get them back if they need to. Idaho, however, is dropping to FCS and won't be available. I guess they could try to get UMass. Other than that they would need to bring up an FCS school and that can take a few years.

2) A championship game will hurt more than help the Sun Belt's chances of getting into the group of five. A championship game helps most conferences because it is an extra data point. In this case, that extra data point is useless because it would be against a Sun Belt team. If a Sun Belt team is considered at all, it will be on the strength of a good OOC schedule, like if Appy State beat two ranked teams, and another decent P5 team, and finished undefeated in a year where the other group of five conferences have two loss champions.

Nobody will care that Appy State beat one of the Sun Belt teams twice.

Also, it appears that the Sun Belt is considering going to nine conference games, so they can play a full round robin. This makes scheduling good teams OOC even harder...

Not that it matters to WVU at all, except that there is at least one conference sillier than the B12.

Posted on: 11/1/2016 5:44 pm

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
Open in new window

http://big12fanatics.com/ccl/

Open in new window

An 8-team format playoff:

Open in new window

Or a 16 team format playoff:

Open in new window

Posted on: 2/8 10:04 am

From Alkol, Lincoln County
Quote:

WVisHome wrote:
Open in new window

http://big12fanatics.com/ccl/

Open in new window

An 8-team format playoff:

Open in new window

Or a 16 team format playoff:

Open in new window

i've done a dozen or so different mock conferences and championship formats over the years. mine is still better than this.

Posted on: 2/8 11:19 am

Here for the Beer
From USA
Didn't know where to put this but Liberty University is moving up to Fbs. The Ncaa approved their waiver to move up as an Indy.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/26 ... team-approved-to-join-fbs

Posted on: 2/21 10:43 am

Pitt Hater
Great move Liberty. Should have taken notes from when Marshall moved up. How did that work for them?

Posted on: 2/21 12:48 pm

Here for the Beer
From USA
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:
Great move Liberty. Should have taken notes from when Marshall moved up. How did that work for them?

Liberty already pays their coach more than Marshall. Gill makes 650k a year. They are extremely financially stable. 1.8 Billion endowment. Also better facilities. Building a $20 million practice facility. Adding 6k + seats to their 19k stadium that they consistently sell out. Plus Lynchburg is a city of 80k and growing. Metro has 260k +. Also, they can be a national brand with their Christian values. Kind of like Notre-Dame and byu. Long ways off, though, if that happens. Impressive NCAA allowed them to move up with no conference.

Posted on: 2/21 1:09 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Uhh Doc Holliday makes $755,000 a year, but I agree with Lynchburg as a growing city and what not.

Posted on: 2/21 7:02 pm

Pitt Hater
From Halifax, VA
Lynchburg is a nice city. Libery is a growing university and is constantly building new dorms and other infa-structure. The bad part is traffic is starting to be a problem. I imagine they will be a more attractive team for WVU when they become FBS.

Posted on: 2/21 8:14 pm

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
Open in new window

http://www.yardbarker.com/college_foo ... _happen/s1_13156_23295895

Big 12 expansion talk is back! After nearly folding when it lost Texas A&M, Missouri, Nebraska, and Colorado at the turn of the decade, the Big 12 has been in limbo as the only power conference with 10 teams.

Since then, the Big 12 has gone in every direction possible. Oklahoma president David Boren said that the league is “psychologically disadvantaged” and needed to expand. Then the league did some fancy (fake) math and decided it needed to expand. They announced 17 candidates and kicked them off Bachelor-style, then held a press conference adding no one.

Was that the end of it? Of course not! The Big 12 still has no idea what it wants to do, and Texas athletic director Mike Perrin got the expansion bus rolling again in an interview with the Austin American-Statesman.

Perrin also said he “wouldn’t be surprised to see something happen” with future Big 12 expansion …

Posted on: 2/23 8:29 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Lexington, KY (Hurricane, WV is home)
That article says nothing substantial about Big 12 expansion.

Posted on: 2/23 9:08 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Originally, Lester WV, now, Richmond, "East" Virginia
Quote:

WVpunk wrote:

Ah, but that is the point. This is the "speculation" thread. What else can we do but speculate?

Posted on: 2/23 12:41 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Lexington, KY (Hurricane, WV is home)
@LesterBoy Touché!

Posted on: 2/23 2:16 pm

Pitt Hater
From SW FL
oi

Posted on: 2/23 3:49 pm

Party Machine
From Chucktown
Quote:

WVpunk wrote:

Yeah. "I wouldn't be surprised" is more a statement about how weird the B12 is acting than anything else.

I wouldn't be surprised if they kicked out Baylor and added Sam Houston State.

I wouldn't be surprised if they banned helmets.

I wouldn't be surprised if they sold naming rights to the conference to Taco Bell. (At least "The Big Chalupa" isn't numerically incorrect)

I wouldn't be surprised if they named that guy from the Dr. Pepper commercials that is the embodiment of why uncles are annoying to be the official chaplain of the conference.

I wouldn't be surprised if they found physical evidence proving the accuracy of M theory.

etc.

Posted on: 3/1 10:50 am

Makin' it Rain
From Canonsburg, PA
Quote:

Elbow_Jobertski wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if they named that guy from the Dr. Pepper commercials that is the embodiment of why uncles are annoying to be the official chaplain of the conference.

Actually, I was kind of hoping they would get that guy to be the new commissioner of the conference. He did have enough pull to get into Steve Spurrier's house. I doubt Bowelsby could find the house or be allowed in.

Posted on: 3/1 5:18 pm

Party Machine
From Chucktown
Quote:

brobison wrote:
Quote:

Elbow_Jobertski wrote:

Actually, I was kind of hoping they would get that guy to be the new commissioner of the conference. He did have enough pull to get into Steve Spurrier's house. I doubt Bowelsby could find the house or be allowed in.

He would also bring free drinks to the meetings, which if he leaves it at that makes him the best B12 commissioner in quite a while.

Posted on: 3/7 10:42 am

Suspected Punter
From Fairfax, Virginia
Here's my fantasy conference proposal, involving the radical step of dropping the number of FBS schools to 84 and aligning them in twelve conferences with seven teams each. It's actually what a conference alignment would look like using a strictly geographical based rationale, although it does sacrifice a number of classic rivalries (Army-Navy, Michigan-Ohio State and USC-UCLA and it still does not restore the Backyard Brawl) but the format is flexible enough to admit tweaking and having only six conference opponents for each team means plenty of schedule room to retain classical rivalries that aren't included in the conference setup.

Anyway, here's my proposal for the twelve conferences:

THE NORTHEASTERN CONFERENCE
Army
Boston College
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Syracuse
Temple

THE MID-ATLANTIC CONFERENCE
Duke
Maryland