We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 ... 349 350 351 (352)

Re: Conference Armageddon: The Official Conference Speculation Thread
Here for the Beer
From Aberdeen, NC
I applaud the effort but damn that schedule is worse than any we've had before. Looks basketball centric. I think we're bigger picture than that.

Posted on: 4/6 10:43 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Alkol, Lincoln County
i've been saying that having a strictly geographicly-based conference/region system is the best way IF you also have a playoff in place. it leaves voters, espn/tv, las vegas, polls, and committees out of it.

the problem with the FBS is that it's currently 128 teams and growing to at least 131 in a few years compared to the 260 or so schools total in division 1. having bowls of 68+ teams out of 128 is severely watering down and looks like a lot of participation trophies, as opposed to the ncaa basketball tourney with 68 of 260 teams making it.

the way most playoffs(in wv) are on the high school level are based on regionals/sectionals, then to semi/quarterfinals. even the ncaa basketball tournament is like this.

if the FBS stays at 128+ teams, there should be such a system that should view all conferences/regions as equals. as it is right now, there is no way a mac, sun belt, mountain west, or c-usa champ will be in the 4 team playoff(or inevitably, an 8 team playoff).

anyway, here's my idea. again.

*all conference/region champions would have a shot at the national championship.--that would require there only being 8 conferences of 16 members each, so there's going to have to be some conference merging of some sort going on.

*start the season a week earlier, roughly on august 25th, and go 13 weeks-including a bye, so the last game of the regular season should be november 17th with that calender.

*the conference championship games(the football sweet 16) would be the following week on nov. 24th, and the first week of playoffs(elite 8) would be on dec. 1st.

*the number of bowls would knocked down to 20. 12 bowls would happen every year, while the other 8 would rotate in and out.(8 win requirement to be bowl eligible.) bowls start dec. 26th.

*the elite 8 games could be set regionally every year, so teams aren't handicapped as much if it were a set up by rankings. something like west vs. pacific, north vs. midwest, east vs. atlantic, south vs. southeast.

*the semi-finals/final 4, would be on new years eve/day using a rotation of the new years 6 bowls(rose, cotton, fiesta, peach, orange, sugar), and the national championship would be jan 8th.

using 2016, here would've been the elite 8: san diego st.(west) vs. washington(pacific), western michigan(north) vs. penn state(midwest), temple(east) vs. clemson(atlantic), oklahoma(south) vs. alabama(southeast). final 4: washington, penn state, clemson, and alabama. matchups in the final 4 would be decided by the 2 host bowls. the rose would pick washington and/or penn state, the orange would pick clemson, sugar would pick alabama, etc.

(my own more radical idea; why not split division 1 into 3 separate subdivisions instead of 2, move most c-usa, mac, sunbelt teams down, and move the best FCS teams up into the second divison. the top division would be 80 or so teams, and the other 2 divisons would be 90 or so members each.)

Posted on: 4/7 2:03 am

Pitt Hater
From Athens GA
The problem is too many teams that don't belong, that are in it just for the money. We need reclassification to thin the herd.

Posted on: 4/7 7:16 am

From Alkol, Lincoln County
the reclassification would solve that. keep all of the power 5 schools + notre dame, boise state, northern illinois, southern miss, hawaii, east carolina, nevada, colorado state, army, navy, south florida, central florida, houston, temple, cincinnati, and fresno state. that's 80. all of the other FBS teams, along with the bigger and better FCS teams like montana, delaware st., youngstown st. move to the new 'middle' division.

Posted on: 4/7 11:47 am

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
https://www.si.com/college-football/20 ... /nfl-draft-big-12-georgia

At this point these articles make me laugh, really don't care anymore at this point. Everyone keeps talking about if Texas gets back to being Texas then the Big 12 will be okay. But I really don't care, I hope Texas keeps on sucking. To be honest the Big 12 is in just as bad shape as the Big East was but prob. worse. At least with Big East you had East coast bias with the writers.
WVU has at least 8 years left in Big 12, if it blows up after that than so be it. Worst case scenario WVU ends up in American and dominates like Houston. Prob. end up playing Pitt, VTU, Maryland, Cuse, every year too.

Posted on: 5/6 2:11 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From RT. 50
The Big 12 will be fine the fact that Texas is the controlling factor of all big 12 decisions kinda pisses me off though

Posted on: 5/7 10:52 am

« 1 ... 349 350 351 (352)

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved