Re: Conference Armageddon: The Official Conference Speculation Thread
Makin' it Rain
From Canonsburg, PA
Quote:

wvsouth1 wrote:

brobison wrote:
Quote:

EDIT: I forgot South Carolina leaving the ACC to go to the SEC

South Carolina was never in the ACC, they were Major Independent when the were invited to the SEC.

They were in the ACC from its inception in 1953 till 1971.

Posted on: 6/19 10:20 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
http://www.espn.com/college-football/ ... r-big-12-was-going-expand

Funny how ESPN story fails to mention it was really ESPN that blocked the expansion. Everything was a go, talk of actually adding 4 teams since TV deal said ESPN, Fox has to pay same rate, no matter the team. Contract would run to 2024 and for the Big 12's Texas or OU, no harm no foul if expansion didn't work out they could just walk away from Big 12 in 2024 without any risk of losing money.

ESPN and Fox flat out said no to Big 12 and Bowlsby, and threatened when deal expired there would be hell to pay. Why Bowlsby never checked with networks prior to going through with the whole process is mind-boggling. Just a cluster f*** mess and embarassment making teams like Memphis, Houston, etc go through ringer. I used to think Trotter was pretty good, but I'd have to downgrade him a level for not writing the real reason why expansion didn't happen.

Posted on: 6/28 8:51 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Mobile, AL
I've felt that was a great time to try and fill out the interest level of streaming video companies; Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix.

Posted on: 6/28 10:39 am

Makin' it Rain
From Canonsburg, PA
Quote:

jameschi wrote:
http://www.espn.com/college-football/ ... r-big-12-was-going-expand

Funny how ESPN story fails to mention it was really ESPN that blocked the expansion. Everything was a go, talk of actually adding 4 teams since TV deal said ESPN, Fox has to pay same rate, no matter the team. Contract would run to 2024 and for the Big 12's Texas or OU, no harm no foul if expansion didn't work out they could just walk away from Big 12 in 2024 without any risk of losing money.

ESPN and Fox flat out said no to Big 12 and Bowlsby, and threatened when deal expired there would be hell to pay. Why Bowlsby never checked with networks prior to going through with the whole process is mind-boggling. Just a cluster f*** mess and embarassment making teams like Memphis, Houston, etc go through ringer. I used to think Trotter was pretty good, but I'd have to downgrade him a level for not writing the real reason why expansion didn't happen.

Leeeeeeeeerooooooooy Jennnnnnnnnkins!

Posted on: 6/30 10:02 am

Makin' it Rain
From Canonsburg, PA
Instead of holding a conference championship game which will most likely be a rematch of a game played in the previous 3 or 4 weeks, lets have the Big 12 go to the NCAA and have us play a rotating schedule of the 4 other power 5 conferences in a game. We would play the conference champion of the other conferences the week after they would play. So it would work like this.

2018 ACC
2019 SEC
2020 Big 10
2021 PAC 12
2022 ACC
.....and so on.

This would allow the current system of 4 teams into the playoff and would eliminate the playoff committee as there would only be 4 power 5 conferences left. Everyone is "in" every year.

We would need the NCAA to allow the extra game. It would only be an extra game for the other power conference. We would be fine if we ditch the championship game.

Outside of the rotation we could aime to try and play the SEC every year but if I were the SEC I wouldn't want that. That is why the rotation would have to be done.

Simple solution to a thorny problem.

Posted on: 7/3 12:10 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Robertsdale,Al via parkersburg
Quote:

brobison wrote:
Quote:

wvsouth1 wrote:

brobison wrote:
Quote:

South Carolina was never in the ACC, they were Major Independent when the were invited to the SEC.

your post says " I forgot South Carolina LEAVING THE ACC to go to the SEC "

FACT, They were a Major INDEPENDENT when invited to the SEC.

Posted on: 7/3 10:13 pm

Suspected Punter
Why would any other conference agree to such a deal just to help the Big 12 potentially get a spot in the playoff? That makes no sense at all to me.Quote:

brobison wrote:
Instead of holding a conference championship game which will most likely be a rematch of a game played in the previous 3 or 4 weeks, lets have the Big 12 go to the NCAA and have us play a rotating schedule of the 4 other power 5 conferences in a game. We would play the conference champion of the other conferences the week after they would play. So it would work like this.

2018 ACC
2019 SEC
2020 Big 10
2021 PAC 12
2022 ACC
.....and so on.

This would allow the current system of 4 teams into the playoff and would eliminate the playoff committee as there would only be 4 power 5 conferences left. Everyone is "in" every year.

We would need the NCAA to allow the extra game. It would only be an extra game for the other power conference. We would be fine if we ditch the championship game.

Outside of the rotation we could aime to try and play the SEC every year but if I were the SEC I wouldn't want that. That is why the rotation would have to be done.

Posted on: 7/3 10:24 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Canonsburg, PA
Quote:

helgramite wrote:
Why would any other conference agree to such a deal just to help the Big 12 potentially get a spot in the playoff? That makes no sense at all to me.Quote:

brobison wrote:

2018 ACC
2019 SEC
2020 Big 10
2021 PAC 12
2022 ACC
.....and so on.

Well....as I stated the NCAA could sanction the game and require it to eliminate the controversy of a major conference being left out. There are two main reasons that would make this attractive to the other conferences. They are:

1. Realize that EVERY year someone is going to be left out. This allows that NOT to happen. So in those years that the Big 12 champion goes undefeated and whichever conference is going to be left out in the cold. This solution would allow ALL conference champions to make the playoff without going to 8 games. So the Big 12 has the most to lose because a number of the years that they should play another conference they would legitimately play in the playoff. Conferences would agree because sometime they would produce a champion that would exclude them from the playoff but they would make it on the virtue that there is a process that allows them in. Either THEY would play the Big 12 or they would make it in on the virtue that either the Big 12 or the other conference would have lost their play in game.

2. $$$$$$$ This game would provide AT LEAST $10 million per team in payout. I would be willing to bet some conferences would be willing to receive about 50% of their yearly payout to play in one more game. That $10 million would be a minimum.

I am not married to the rotating conference method. If you want the playoff committee to decide the play-in game that is good but the Big 12 SHOULD be one of the teams by virtue of not getting the extra date.

Posted on: 7/4 12:35 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
I like it, it leaves the games on the field where it should be and out of the hands of the talking heads and big businesses.

Posted on: 7/4 11:24 pm

Gettin' Schmitty

Posted on: 7/4 11:25 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Canonsburg, PA
Quote:

wvsouth1 wrote:
Quote:

brobison wrote:
Quote:

wvsouth1 wrote:

brobison wrote:
Quote:

your post says " I forgot South Carolina LEAVING THE ACC to go to the SEC "

FACT, They were a Major INDEPENDENT when invited to the SEC.

That is true. But somehow I had to show the ACC losing a member. I guess it was somewhat misleading that they went from the ACC to the SEC but they did with an independent hiatus for about 20 years. It would have been misleading not to show South Carolina leaving the ACC also.

Posted on: 7/5 8:23 am

« 1 ... 350 351 352 (353)

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved