« 1 ... 167 168 169 (170) 171 172 173 ... 178 »

Re: WVU Football Thread for Things That Don't Need Their Own Thread
Grant Ave. Warrior
From Southwest VA ... via Pleasants County, USA
Quote:

GONZOeer wrote:
Quote:

GONZOeer wrote:
Doug Belk is currently being rumored to be the new corner backs coach at WVU. He is a defensive assistant at Alabama was previously a defensive back coach at Valdosta State when they won the Division II title. Some feel Belk is a true up and comer in the coaching ranks. He started following a few members of the WVU staff on Twitter, including Gibby – might not mean much, might be a sign he is at least considered/getting interviewed.

One reason I hope this is true: he is from Georgia and knows the landscape there. I would like to see WVU keep making inroads there recruiting.

FYI this is likely going to be made official pretty soon. Everyone is reporting it.

Now official.

Posted on: 2/10 5:10 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Pitt Hater
From Athens GA
So we stole an asst. coach from Alabama? Man they must really be hurting.

Posted on: 2/10 5:20 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From spencer
Not really a steal. He was a grad assistant db coach. The next step up would be a full db coach. So he moved up a step in rank. Going from ga to full coach at Alabama was unlikely. They take a db coach from a d1 school.

Posted on: 2/10 6:21 pm

Party Machine
Eh but he still worked with Alabama ya know? I consider it a win. We'll see what happens in the future, but for now, definitely a win.

Posted on: 2/11 1:51 pm

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
http://wvmetronews.com/2017/02/10/bel ... f-with-west-virginia-job/

Belk worked under coordinators Kirby Smart and Jeremy Pruitt, helping shape defenses stockpiled with NFL draft picks the never finished worse than No. 6 nationally in points allowed. The young coach also developed under direct exposure from Saban, according to Travis Reier of BamaOnline.com.

“It’s funny because Saban actually refers to himself as Alabama’s ‘graduate assistant coach’ in the secondary,” Reier said. “In addition to serving under secondary coach Derrick Ansley, who is considered a rising star in coaching circles, Belk worked very closely with Saban on the practice field.

“That tells me Belk’s promotion at another Power 5 program came with a stamp of approval from not only the top head coach in the game, but also a guy who, at heart, still considers himself a corners coach.”

Saban’s recommendation proved persuasive in West Virginia hiring an assistant who had never been a full-time FBS coach.

Dean foresaw big-time openings for Belk years earlier.

“Back at Valdosta State, I knew I was going to have a hard time hanging on to him because he was so good,” Dean said. “He was a very smart coach, very articulate, did a great job of teaching and he got the best out of our players.

“I think West Virginia is going to be very excited once they see him on the field and how good a coach he really is.”

Belk’s recruiting ties to the South could help the Mountaineers rebound from the departure of Ja’Juan Seider. At Valdosta State, Belk’s territory stretched along the western edge of Georgia, from Columbus to Newnan, with an area in Atlanta and a portion of north Florida included.

“If he gets in the home, he’s going to sell the mamas,” Dean said. “They’re going to like him, they’re going to like his approach.

“He’s going to understand that area and he’s going to understand those kids.”

Posted on: 2/13 10:54 am

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
http://www.msnsportsnet.com/page.cfm?story=31840&cat=exclusives

Former Mountaineer football players Don Barclay and Keith Tandy had All-American playing careers while at West Virginia, leading their alma mater to many victories on the field, conference championships and bowl wins before finishing their college careers.

Currently, they are building successful NFL careers since entering the league in 2012. Barclay, who signed a free agent contract with the Green Bay Packers, and Tandy, who was drafted in the sixth round by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, have seen a lot of action and made a lot of plays for their respective teams.

However, in spite of all of their past and present success, they have never forgotten their roots.

This past fall, they showed their love and appreciation for West Virginia University by making a generous gift to the Mountaineer Strength and Conditioning Program to help future generations of Mountaineers reap the benefits of their success.

Barclay and Tandy were training in the weight room during the offseason and conferred with WVU director of strength and conditioning Mike Joseph about doing their part for the football program by giving toward weight room improvements.

“Don Barclay and Keith Tandy were great role models when they were here, on and off the field, and their influence as Mountaineers on the program still continues,” WVU football coach Dana Holgorsen said. “We are appreciative of those guys and all of our former players who continue to take an active leadership role and share their vision and resources with their school and the football program. They are making a difference in the lives of current and future Mountaineers.”

The weight room is an important area in the development of a college football player. It is a place where the players spend a lot of time, especially during the offseason and summer months.

Barclay and Tandy’s gift will enable Joseph to bring the concept of cryotherapy to the football program with the purchase of a cryo chamber to aid in the recovery process for student-athletes.

Posted on: 2/13 11:15 am

Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
WVU had five players invited to the NFL combine: Tyler Orlosky, cornerback Rasul Douglas, wide receiver Shelton Gibson, defensive end Noble Nwachukwu, and running back Rushel Shell.

WVU's five players is tops for the Big 12.

Posted on: 2/13 1:44 pm

Pitt Hater
From Columbus, OH (via Belpre, OH)
I was reading that Mixon from Oklahoma didn't get invited to the combine. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy

Posted on: 2/13 5:27 pm

WVU Football 2017: Resurgence (DougityDog)
Gettin' Schmitty
From Originally, Lester WV, now, Richmond, "East" Virginia

Posted on: 2/13 5:33 pm

Pitt Hater
From Atlanta, GA
Damon Cogdell is joining Charlie strong at USF.

Posted on: 2/17 3:35 pm

Party Machine
Strong's also taken a Marshall coach, dude is gutting the state of WV for assistants it seems

Posted on: 2/17 4:03 pm

Party Machine
From Dunedin FL
Quote:

DirtyDubVee wrote:
Damon Cogdell is joining Charlie strong at USF.

He's getting a lot of guys with Florida ties. If he recruits the state well, he'll do well.

Posted on: 2/17 5:21 pm

Pitt Hater
From Eastern WV

Posted on: 2/17 7:06 pm

Party Machine
From Barboursville, WV
Cogdell used to pull a lot of FL recruits for us but didn't he get shut down due to some grade fixing scandal at his school? Strong is still making a statement that he will be a force in FL recruiting.

Posted on: 2/20 4:13 pm

Party Machine
Yeah, he was the Miramar coach if I remember correctly when we were all worried about whether Durante was going to qualify or not?? I could have that wrong, too lazy to Google it.

Posted on: 2/20 4:44 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Originally, Lester WV, now, Richmond, "East" Virginia

Posted on: 2/22 10:14 pm

Pitt Hater
From Atlanta, GA
That sucks. You got to hate losing good kids like that.

Posted on: 2/23 11:05 pm

Party Machine
From Barboursville, WV
Quote:

LesterBoy wrote:

I think it is great that he has his priorities right.

As a fan, it makes me very nervous that little brother may consider the same thing. I sure hope not, he was the jewel of last year's recruiting class. Hope his knee is rehabbing well.

Posted on: 2/25 8:43 pm

Pitt Hater
From Eastern WV
2017 Annual Gold-Blue Spring Game

Quote:
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – West Virginia University will hold the annual Gold-Blue Spring Game presented by U.S. Cellular on Saturday, April 15, at 1 p.m., at Mountaineer Field at Milan Puskar Stadium.

Tickets are available in advance for $10 each and can be purchased online at WVUGAME.com or by calling 1-800-WVU GAME. WVU students will be admitted free with a valid ID. Information on the stadium, parking and television broadcast will be released at a later date.

The proceeds from the Gold-Blue Game once again will benefit WVU Medicine Children's. Since 1984, the Mountaineers have donated more than $725,000 to WVU Medicine Children's.

Posted on: 2/25 10:09 pm

Party Machine
Quote:

eers_fan wrote:
Quote:

LesterBoy wrote:

I think it is great that he has his priorities right.

As a fan, it makes me very nervous that little brother may consider the same thing. I sure hope not, he was the jewel of last year's recruiting class. Hope his knee is rehabbing well.

I doubt it, little brother was a 4* beast with an impressive offer sheet, I don't know how's he's thinking/feeling, but I would definitely want to give the NFL a shot if I were in that position.

Posted on: 2/25 10:23 pm

« 1 ... 167 168 169 (170) 171 172 173 ... 178 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved