We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 ... 174 175 176 (177) 178 179 180 ... 186 »

Re: WVU Football Thread for Things That Don't Need Their Own Thread
Party Machine
From Dunedin FL
Quote:

GONZOeer wrote:
Four interesting roster moves:

- Former Penn State DT Brenon Thrift was added to the roster. He will sit this year and has one to play (from what I understand).

➤ 2016 ➤ Junior Season
Did not see any game action.

➤ 2015 ➤ Lackawanna Community College
Helped Lackawanna to the Northeast Football Conference Championship with a 8-2 record...Had 14 tackles in five games...Registered 3.0 sacks and 3.5 tackles for loss.

➤ 2014 ➤ Temple
Redshirt season.

Posted on: 5/16 8:50 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

WVU ranked 2nd easiest schedule in the Big 12 behind FarmPitt

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
http://www.cbssports.com/college-foot ... a-tough-go-of-it-in-2017/

9 Mountaineers
Things start out difficult enough for the Mountaineers as they take on Virginia Tech at a neutral site, but they get considerably easier after that. The rest of the nonconference schedule includes East Carolina and Delaware State, and while the Big 12 portion begins with two road games, they're against Kansas and TCU with a bye in between. Both Oklahoma State and Texas must come to Morgantown, and the regular season finishes with the toughest game on the slate: the Sooners in Norman.

Posted on: 5/16 11:19 am

Re: WVU ranked 2nd easiest schedule in the Big 12 behind FarmPitt
Gettin' Schmitty
From Originally, Lester WV, now, Richmond, "East" Virginia
Quote:

WVisHome wrote:

9 Mountaineers
Things start out difficult enough for the Mountaineers as they take on Virginia Tech at a neutral site, but they get considerably easier after that. The rest of the nonconference schedule includes East Carolina and Delaware State, and while the Big 12 portion begins with two road games, they're against Kansas and TCU with a bye in between. Both Oklahoma State and Texas must come to Morgantown, and the regular season finishes with the toughest game on the slate: the Sooners in Norman.

Baylor's OOC schedule includes Liberty, UTSA and Duke. Va Tech/Delaware St/ECU > Liberty/UTSA/Duke, and it is not even close.

Posted on: 5/16 11:46 am

Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:

LesterBoy wrote:
Quote:

WVisHome wrote:

9 Mountaineers

Baylor's OOC schedule includes Liberty, UTSA and Duke. Va Tech/Delaware St/ECU > Liberty/UTSA/Duke, and it is not even close.

But they have to play at Duke! Everyone knows Cameron Outdoor Stadium or whatever it is called gets dozens of fans!

Seriously though, the Bears haven't left Texas for an OOC game in like a decade (except for a road game at BUFFALO). That might be tough playing in a new venue, no matter how empty it is.

Posted on: 5/16 12:13 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Originally, Lester WV, now, Richmond, "East" Virginia
Quote:

GONZOeer wrote:
Quote:

LesterBoy wrote:
Quote:

WVisHome wrote:

9 Mountaineers

But they have to play at Duke! Everyone knows Cameron Outdoor Stadium or whatever it is called gets dozens of fans!

Seriously though, the Bears haven't left Texas for an OOC game in like a decade (except for a road game at BUFFALO). That might be tough playing in a new venue, no matter how empty it is.

Duke's campus is just a little over a two-hour drive from my house. Maybe I'll drive down there to heckle the Baylor team.

Do you know when you start to type in "Baylor Football" in Google, the most commonly searched phrase involving those words is "Scandal", followed by "Coach" and "Schedule"? The top three searches involving the words "WVU Football" are "Schedule", "Tickets" and "Schedule 2018". Apparently there are a bunch of WVU fans who are already looking forward to 2018.

Posted on: 5/16 2:09 pm

Party Machine
Quote:

WVisHome wrote:
Why does everyone keep sleeping on Jennings?

My thoughts exactly, has shown some great flashes, looked great in the Spring Game... I think people think our recievers aren't that good because they aren't talked about like Tavon and Alford, but we have a solid core here.

Posted on: 5/16 3:16 pm

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Quote:

WVisHome wrote:

I like Jennings, thought he brought stability to punt return game when the past few years were really bad. That being said he just doesn't have great speed, he's not a burner.

Posted on: 5/16 6:52 pm

Pitt Hater
Quote:

jameschi wrote:
Quote:

WVisHome wrote:

I like Jennings, thought he brought stability to punt return game when the past few years were really bad. That being said he just doesn't have great speed, he's not a burner.

Heck anything is better than muffing a punt or catching/muffing within the 10 yard line.
Hell I'd be happy with a punt returner who could catch and know where the hell the 10 yard line was. Several years in a row we didn't even have that.

Posted on: 5/16 7:12 pm

Posted on: 5/17 7:31 am

Party Machine
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:
Quote:

jameschi wrote:
Quote:

WVisHome wrote:

Heck anything is better than muffing a punt or catching/muffing within the 10 yard line.
Hell I'd be happy with a punt returner who could catch and know where the hell the 10 yard line was. Several years in a row we didn't even have that.

Imagine how spoiled we would have been had we kept Switzer in state?? Hahaha. But I agree, hopefully we have someone on this damn team that can figure this out.

Posted on: 5/17 8:22 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From ohio via Panther WV
Remember when guys blamed Barwis for Slaton's issues with the hammy, I thought they were nuts. But I'm reading this article on ESPN about the Mets injury bug and guess who is their S and C guy? Ole Mike. http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19 ... sues-go-far-disabled-list

Posted on: 5/19 6:53 am

I-79 Alumni

Party Machine
From Northern WV
Quote:

southwvboy wrote:
Remember when guys blamed Barwis for Slaton's issues with the hammy, I thought they were nuts.

I remember this very well. I brought it up in passing with a student trainer (friend of a friend) and he tried to physically attack me for saying something negative about Barwis' methods.

Posted on: 5/21 3:24 pm

Pitt Hater
Yeah, they are probably part of the Crossfit cult.

Posted on: 5/21 5:48 pm

Lowered Expectations

Open in new window

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footb ... 7-preview-schedule-roster

A very well written article detailing exactly why expecting a good year isn't necessarily a realistic expectation.

MUCH more at the link.

2017 is a rebuild year for West Virginia football. Top-25 hype isn’t quite fair.

Aside from a disappointing bowl against Miami, this was the year that fans wanted to see. Holgorsen bought a reserve of goodwill, and he heads into his seventh season renewed. Florida transfer and former blue-chip quarterback Will Grier takes over alongside 1,100-yard rusher Justin Crawford.

All is well. Right?

Well, Holgo might have to spend a little bit more of that goodwill than he’d prefer. Grier helps to mitigate the loss of Skyler Howard, sure, but two of the top three receivers and five of the top seven offensive linemen are gone, and the defense must replace its top three linemen, its best linebacker, and five of last year’s top six defensive backs. The Mountaineers are going to be reliant on youth and newcomers, and the offense is putting a lot of stock in a quarterback who had about two good games before losing his redshirt freshman season to a performance-enhancing drug suspension.

WVU ranks second-to-last in my returning production measure, bringing back just 28 percent of its production, a level that virtually assures regression. Combine that with top-50 recruiting and solid-not-great recent performance, and you’ve got a drastic projected fall.

To me, this looks like a reset year for WVU. And that’s okay! The Mountaineers boast upside with underclassmen at nearly every position and should be at a top-30 level in 2018. But if they go 6-6 or 7-5 this year, that should be a sign of good things to come, not a disappointment.

Posted on: 5/22 9:33 am

Pitt Hater
From Athens GA
I think it's going to all hinge on the O line. Holgs and Gibby can scheme around inexperience most everywhere else.

Posted on: 5/22 11:19 am

Pitt Hater
From Frederick, MD
A reset year would be a bummer. I'm not too worried about the receivers, o line, d line and cb's are BIG concerns.

Posted on: 5/22 12:15 pm

Obama: We will put a man in your daughter's restroom.

Party Machine
From Dunedin FL
I agree the o-line is a big deal, but he didn't even mention Yodny Cajuste. He was going to be a starter last year until he got hurt, and I'm pretty sure he's back (healthy), or will be by fall.

Posted on: 5/22 2:26 pm

Party Machine
Quote:

FL77Mounty wrote:
I agree the o-line is a big deal, but he didn't even mention Yodny Cajuste. He was going to be a starter last year until he got hurt, and I'm pretty sure he's back (healthy), or will be by fall.

Yep, with everything in place between JUCOs and the Tenn transfer, we should have decent enough linemen, I think Spavital will find ways to work our offense based on how much time Grier will get back there. I am definitely worried about CB's, but I think our safety play will be alright with how touted Pitts is and getting Dravon Askew-Henry back, and hopefully Benton & Long can get some pressure on the QB's too from the linebacker position.

Posted on: 5/22 5:04 pm

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
SI's S&P rank is crap, it was crap the year before, when it basically predicted after team started out 3-0, with blow out of Maryland, that WVU would only lose one game to OU and should finish 11-1. Last year was a rebuilding year on defense too and running game was to take a huge drop with Smallwood leaving. To me no one really knows, but the talent is there on both sides. The key will actually be the first game against VTU, you win that and you could easily be 7-0 and ranked in top 10 with home game against OSU on 10/28. The O'line doesn't worry me with Bosch and Cadjuste leading. The only group I'm worried about is the Cornerbacks. Barring that only the unpredictableness of injuries is worrisome.

Posted on: 5/22 6:23 pm

Pitt Hater
From Athens GA
Saw one of the Vegas books was setting our wins at 4.5. I'm Over as hell on that.

Posted on: 5/23 3:28 pm

« 1 ... 174 175 176 (177) 178 179 180 ... 186 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved