From Charlottesville, Virginia
Quote:

WVisHome wrote:
Quote:

brobison wrote:
Quote:

WVisHome wrote:
http://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports-m ... might-not-be-good-for-wvu

I don't like the idea of a graduate transfer's scholarship counting for 2 years.

Removing the ability of the current school to restrict where a player wants to go is definitely the right thing to do though. I think they should be able to transfer anywhere they want to go, EXCEPT any school that will be an opponent to the current school for the remainder of the player's eligibility.

OK. I will play Devil's advocate here. I agree that I don't like the two year rule, however, the idea of the graduate transfer is to go from a school to another school because the degree desired is not offered. I am not sure how you can keep a player from going to a school that has an apparently rare graduate degree. I actually think that the student should be able to transfer into a graduate program that might have an emphasis on an industry that the first university doesn't have. In this instance I don't know how you could put a limit on the schools a player can transfer to.

I can advocate that devil...but...

Let's say...senior benchrider WR at WVU is upset he never got to see the field and decides he's upset enough to sabotage the program. He transfers to TT and gives them our playbook...

If scholarship athletes were employees, then arguably, and likely, this would violate several laws regarding proprietary information. It might even if they aren't employees, but it would certainly be a stronger case if they were.

Posted on: 7/7 1:43 pm

Re: WVU Football Thread for Things That Don't Need Their Own Thread
Gettin' Schmitty
From ohio via Panther WV
Any time the power brokers feel the not so powerful getting an edge they have to legislate rules to snuff out that advantage. Satellite camps, no huddle offense and now the grad transfer to name a few. If a guy graduates he should have the right to do what he wants. These guys don't have a lot of rights so let them keep this one. I'm not a proponent of paying them but I think they do deserve more day so in that small window of their life.

Posted on: 7/8 9:25 pm

I-79 Alumni
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Gettin' Schmitty
From ohio via Panther WV
Quote:

LesterBoy wrote:
Quote:

davidj wrote:
Evidently, Texas has dissed 'merican beer...

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/colle ... h-beer-sponsorship-corona

I love this quote from the article:

Quote:
Texas introduced alcohol sales during the 2015 season, racking up $1.8 million in revenue in year one, according to the Houston Chronicle. That number jumped up 20 percent to $3.1 million in 2016, with the season-opener against Notre Dame accounting for $701,234 in sales alone, according to the Austin-American Statesman.

That quote helps perpetuate the (well-earned) stereotype that the Irish Catholics can put away a lot of alcohol. While in college, I attended a Rugby party after a Notre Dame match with a school in North Carolina, and of all the Rugby parties that I attended in college (a lot), more beer was consumed at that party than any other Rugby party that I ever witnessed . . . by DOUBLE! We had to go back to the our supplier twice for more kegs. We joked that each of the Notre Dame guys must have had a hollow leg, because we had never seen a group of guys drink as much as those guys drank. They explained that the Notre Dame girls were not particularly sexually active, so their only option for entertainment in South Bend was to drink vast quantities of alcohol.

Amazing. I didn't know Rugby drinking was a universal thing. I thought it was just the EKU boys. EKU rugby was trying to spread the sport into the small liberal art school in eastern Ky back in the mid 90s to give them opponents to scrimmage and such. So they went around and met with guys that had played football at these schools, were out of eligibility but still around campus. Me and my bunch at Union College was one of them. They came down did some clinics and after the last one threw a big bash at our football house. My goodness those boys pushed my tolerance to its limit. Good time. We never got the hang of it and that was the last time I attempted rugby. But was a hell of a good time.

Posted on: 7/8 9:36 pm

I-79 Alumni

Pitt Hater
From Eastern WV
Campus Connection: Big 12 Media Day Lineup Set and some summer notes.

Quote:
West Virginia will attend the second day of the event and will be sending head coach Dana Holgorsen, senior safety Kyzir White, senior linebacker Al-Rasheed Benton, senior running back Justin Crawford and senior fullback Elijah Wellman to the festivities, according to the conference.

WVU's Jennings Says WRs Possess 'Variety'

Posted on: 7/9 6:47 pm

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
http://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports-w ... nalysts-to-football-staff

In the span of six month, West Virginia moved from the back of college football’s arms race to three steps closer to the front.

Sources told the Gazette-Mail Monday the program has hired former quarterback Mike Burchett as an offensive analyst and former linebacker Casey Vance as a defensive analyst. They join former NFL offensive lineman and WVU graduate assistant Dan Gerberry, the senior analyst who was hired after the 2016 season ended.

Posted on: 7/11 1:50 pm

Party Machine
From Denton, TX

Posted on: 7/12 11:21 am

Quote:

Texas_Eer wrote:
Nooooooo! The rumors are true.

https://www.si.com/college-football/20 ... long-injury-west-virginia

Open in new window

Well, at least he should only miss VT, ECU, Delaware State and Kansas.

Posted on: 7/12 11:40 am

Party Machine
Every year... I swear, someone key on defense. Every year.

Posted on: 7/12 2:07 pm

Party Machine
From Dunedin FL
Dylan Tonkery, next man up.

Posted on: 7/12 3:37 pm

WMITC
From Here
Quote:

FL77Mounty wrote:

Don't underestimate this guy. They teach serious football at Bridgeport High. I think he's a player.

Posted on: 7/12 4:09 pm

Party Machine
From Dunedin FL
Quote:

Sane wrote:
Quote:

FL77Mounty wrote:

Don't underestimate this guy. They teach serious football at Bridgeport High. I think he's a player.

There's a reason he's #2 on the depth chart. Good bloodlines, as well.

Posted on: 7/12 9:27 pm

Pitt Hater
From Eastern WV
Football Has Two Selected for Big 12 Honors (Grier and Crawford)

WVU's Battle Improving His Craft

Two Gridders Named to National Award Watch Lists (Bosch and Askew-Henry)

WVU Allotment Sold Out For Virginia Tech Game

Quote:

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. - The Mountaineer Ticket Office has announced that West Virginia University’s ticket allotment for the Virginia Tech football game on Sunday, Sept. 3 at FedExField in Landover, Maryland, is sold out.

There are limited tickets still available for the season’s kickoff at FedExField. Visit Ticketmaster today to join Mountaineer Nation in Washington, D.C.! https://tinyurl.com/ya7usg4x

There are tickets remaining for WVU’s home games. Single-game tickets and mini-packages can be purchased online at WVUGAME.com or by calling 1-800-WVU GAME.

Big 12 Announces Preseason Football Poll

Posted on: 7/13 7:43 pm

Holgorsen's son transferrig
WMITC
From Here
Holgorsen's son is transferring from Morgantown High, according to today's Dominion Post. Doesn't say where he's going or why.

Posted on: 7/15 8:29 am

Re: Holgorsen's son transferrig
Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:

Sane wrote:
Holgorsen's son is transferring from Morgantown High, according to today's Dominion Post. Doesn't say where he's going or why.

I have heard a rumor he will be at St. Frances in Baltimore. Logan actually just started following the head coach of that team one Twitter so there is a little smoke.

St. Frances plays against teams from across the country and have a couple Division I guys on the roster. I imagine the transfer is all about recruiting potential (I mentioned that in the recruiting thread).

If he doesn't go to a prep school, he might be back with his mom in Texas. He will not be playing in WV this fall.

Posted on: 7/15 9:21 am

Pitt Hater
From Eastern WV

Posted on: 7/15 7:27 pm

Pitt Hater
From Eastern WV

Posted on: 7/17 8:06 pm

The unlikely convergence of a QB, WR and OC may mean great things for West Virginia

Interesting to see our uniform front and center at media days...
Open in new window

Posted on: 7/19 7:37 am

Pitt Hater
From SW FL
Quote:

like I said in another thread
Grier to Sills
will be yuuuuge

Posted on: 7/19 8:36 am

Pitt Hater
From Athens GA
Bunch of hungry misfits overlooked by most of the football world.

I like it.

Posted on: 7/19 3:05 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Friend of mine sent this to me...it's a synopsis, informative...

Gibby was on Sportsline tonight (last night) and really had a lot of interesting things to talk about on both sides of the ball.

Didn't really come out and talk about David Long but he did predict that Dylan Tonkery will be the dark horse on defense this year and is going to be special in his time at Wvu. Says it means a lot to him to represent West Virginia.

Talks about Kenny Robinson and how he was very underrated and can line up at corner and safety and could end up growing into a linebacker down the road. Says he should see the field right away and has the best chance to play out of the freshman.

Gibby is really excited about Coach Belk and how he was highly recommended by Saban at Bama. Says he's a great coach and great recruiter. Hopes he can keep him around for a long time before someone tries to lure him away from the gold and blue.

"Gibby says he's excited for Virginia Tech in game one and that it's no different starting out with them compared to his other years as D-Coordinator where he opened against Bama in his first ever game running the defense, along with Georgia Southern, and Missouri last year.

Gibby says he loves working with Dana and really loves the staff they have put together. Says he's very happy in the position he's in and to be doing it at Wvu. Hopes they can continue to have success and keep things like they are."

Posted on: 7/19 4:50 pm

« 1 ... 182 183 184 (185) 186 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved