We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 199 »

Re: WVU Football Thread for Things That Don't Need Their Own Thread
Gettin' Schmitty
From ohio via Panther WV
yeah the feight kid is a freaking monster, can't wait for the day he's blowing bitches up

Posted on: 10/12/2011 10:19 pm

I-79 Alumni
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Morgantown
http://espn.go.com/college-football/s ... acker-dee-finley-transfer

Not really sure this would ever happen, but we have had good success with transfers before, and I see no reason we could not do it again.

I don't know much about his future intentions, but it is worth a shot.

Posted on: 10/13/2011 8:55 am
I am the bone of my sword, circuits my body and code my blood. I have crafted over a 1000 programs. Unaware of bugs not aware of success withstood pain to create apps, waiting for ones arrival I have no regrets this is the only path my whole life was UNLI

Gettin' Schmitty
From ohio via Panther WV
Quote:

keczan wrote:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/s ... acker-dee-finley-transfer

Not really sure this would ever happen, but we have had good success with transfers before, and I see no reason we could not do it again.

I don't know much about his future intentions, but it is worth a shot.

That would be freaking nice.

In other news that doesn't need it's own thread, Geno is your current Capital One kick ass player of the week, or something like that.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/ ... h-wins-impact-performance

Posted on: 10/13/2011 11:08 am

I-79 Alumni

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Morgantown
"In 12 possessions after halftime the past two games, Casteel's defense has forced nine punts and two turnovers, allowed just 163 yards and actually outscored the opponent, 2-0, when Irvin and linebacker Jewone Snow combined for a safety in the third quarter against Connecticut. "

http://dailymail.com/Sports/WVUSports ... 121796?page=2&build=cache

Posted on: 10/13/2011 1:54 pm
I am the bone of my sword, circuits my body and code my blood. I have crafted over a 1000 programs. Unaware of bugs not aware of success withstood pain to create apps, waiting for ones arrival I have no regrets this is the only path my whole life was UNLI

Here for the Beer
From Just past Uranus
Just openned my first beer for the Syracuse Game....I don't believe in Bye weeks.

Posted on: 10/13/2011 2:11 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From ohio via Panther WV

My first Mountaineer hero. Cool feature the University is doing, http://heritageproject.wvu.edu/videos/1970s_1980s

Also don't forget how to use this thread. There is again a shPitt ton of new threads popping that are pointless not trying to be couch police but also don't want to see meaningful threads berried under a pile of meatloaf and trolls.

Posted on: 10/20/2011 2:09 pm

I-79 Alumni

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Knoxville TN
Good to hear Talley say those good things about the WV people and fans! I remember the years he played and he was a great player and nightmare to opposing offenses!

Posted on: 10/20/2011 2:17 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From ohio via Panther WV
All members should have to read the article below regarding the trollbot 3000.

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.c ... er-columnist-in-the-world

Posted on: 10/20/2011 2:47 pm

I-79 Alumni

Pitt Hater
Rifle # 1, sorry wrong thread

Posted on: 10/25/2011 7:57 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Cleveland
Nice little write-up in the Daily today...

Mountaineer Gameday: WVU on pace to shatter Big East passing records

"CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- West Virginia heads to Rutgers on Saturday ranked 13th nationally in total offense ... and at the Mountaineers' current rate, it's an offense the Big East never has seen before in the conference's 20-year football history.

WVU is averaging 489.9 yards per game, and will go against the Big East's top two defenses statistically - Louisville (ranked 15th nationally) and Rutgers (17th) - in the next two weeks.

If WVU can sustain that average, Coach Dana Holgorsen's debut season will bring a Big East record for total offense for a season. WVU's current average projects to a 6,368-yard season. The conference record is 6,179, set by Louisville in 2006.

The Mountaineers school record would be obliterated. It's 5,998, in the same '06 season as the Cardinals set the league standard. That 5,998 is No. 3 in Big East history, with the Louisville and WVU total offense numbers sandwiching a 6,074 by Miami (Fla.) in 2002.

With the proliferation of offense in major college football, however, the Mountaineers will have to go some to get another top 10 finish in total offense. In WVU history, the 'Eers have been a top-10 offense eight times.

The best total offense ranking came in 1955, when West Virginia averaged 384.5 yards and finished second behind national champion Oklahoma's 410.7.

Those Mountaineers finished 8-2 (losing to Pitt and Syracuse), won the Southern Conference, and were ranked No. 19 in the final AP poll.

Six of West Virginia's eight top 10 total offense seasons came between 1952-70.

The other two were the 11-2 team in 2006, which was fourth at an average of 461.4, and the 11-1 team in 1988, which placed fifth at 482.7 yards per game.

The Big East passing record for a season also is in danger, thanks to Holgorsen's designs and quarterback Geno Smith's arm.

West Virginia is fifth nationally in passing yardage to date, averaging 374.4 yards per game. Project that average over 13 games, and the total would be 4,868 ... which wouldn't break the big East standard, but pancake it.

The best Big East passing season was Louisville's 4,103 yards in 2007, followed by Cincinnati in 2009, at 4,014.

To date, no other team in Big East history has thrown for more than 3,770 yards (Louisville '06) in a season."

Full article (there is more to it): http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/201110270199

Posted on: 10/28/2011 9:32 am

Via Twitter, 10/7/12: Nick Arthur @NarthurD

Gettin' Schmitty
From ohio via Panther WV
Allow me to bring everyone's attention back to this thread. Please use this thread as much as possible. The football forum is getting cluttered again.

Posted on: 11/1/2011 1:41 pm

I-79 Alumni

Makin' it Rain
From Cleveland
Just a little pre-game reading. WVU/UL game preview from The Courier Journal:

http://www.courier-journal.com/articl ... swell%7Ctext%7CSports%7Cs

Louisville football faces tough task against West Virginia

"The University of Louisville football team’s defense relied on pressure last week to throw a timing quarterback out of his rhythm. Against arguably the Big East Conference’s best quarterback, creating confusion might be the key to winning today.

West Virginia junior Geno Smith leads the conference in pass efficiency and passing yards per game at nearly 340. He has thrown for a league-leading 20 touchdowns with just five interceptions.

“If we let him sit back there and see us in cover-2, it’s going to be a long day at the ballpark for our secondary,” U of L defensive coordinator Vance Bedford said. “We’ve got to move around, disguise things, pressure, drop eight — we’ve got to do it all to have a chance to win the game.”

U of L (4-4, 2-1 Big East) hasn’t had much success against the No. 24 Mountaineers (6-2, 2-1), especially in Morgantown. The Cardinals haven’t won there since 1990, and their last victory in the series was in 2006.

Both facts are well-known to the U of L players because coach Charlie Strong had the halls leading to their locker room plastered with not-so-subtle reminders. He has a penchant for using history as motivation — before last Saturday’s game against Syracuse he reminded the Cards they hadn’t won consecutive conference games in five years.

“There’s always a certain form of motivation that Coach Strong uses; it varies from week to week, to be honest,” said linebacker Dexter Heyman, who later added “… My confidence is unbelievable with this ballclub.”

Strong knows that ending that streak will take more than simply making his players aware of it. He’s talked all week about how tough the environment is at WVU — U of L even contemplated leaving its cheerleaders behind but decided to bring them.

Strong has spent even more time in defensive meetings harping on how effective Smith is in the Mountaineers’ offense.

Smith initially struggled adjusting to the pace and rhythm that first-year coach Dana Holgorsen wants in the offense. Strong said Holgorsen, a disciple of Hal Mumme and his pass-happy schemes, has mastered spreading defenses out and exploiting matchups.

In West Virginia’s 41-31 victory at Rutgers last week, running back Shawn Alston — who has just the third-most carries on the team — rushed for 110 yards and two touchdowns.

Wide receiver Stedman Bailey leads the league with 101.9 yards per game, but he might not even be the biggest threat. Receiver Tavon Austin, who leads the team with 56 catches, is used in a variety of ways. Last week he took a reverse pitch 80 yards for a score.

“They find ways to get him more involved with the offense,” Bedford said. “He’s a dangerous player. Any time it touches his hands he can take it 80 yards.”

That’s exactly why the Mountaineers average 38.6 points, second in the Big East to Cincinnati’s 41.0. Strong called Smith the “top offensive player in the conference” because he knows how to use all of the playmakers.

“It’s all about getting the ball into their athletes’ hands, and that’s what he does,” Strong said. “… You lock into man coverage, they can find a man. You lock into zone, they know where the zone is going.”

But as good as Smith’s ascent has been, Holgorsen believes he has room to improve.

“He’ll keep getting better from a mental aspect — he still makes mistakes, just like I do and everybody does,” Holgorsen said. “Being able to overcome those is important. It’s about making a play.”

Posted on: 11/4/2011 10:48 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Cleveland
ESPN...

Dana Holgorsen wants more effort
By Andrea Adelson
4:30pm 11/8/11

"West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen is fed up with the lack of effort he has seen from his team during key stretches this season. So he said during his news conference Tuesday that he might only bring 55 players with him when the Mountaineers travel to play No. 23 Cincinnati on Saturday.

West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen is serious about only wanting players who are going to perform on the field.Generally, West Virginia brings about 70 players to road games.

"I’m pretty serious about it," he said. "I tend to say what’s on my mind, if you haven’t figured that out by now. That makes some people mad, and others get a kick from it. We’re going to take who wants to win. We’re going to take who wants to pull for his teammates and who wants to be all in on this thing, not guys that pout and mope because they’re not playing or any of the rest of it. We’re going to be a united team, and the only way I know how to get that accomplished is to make sure that we’re only taking people that are focused and headed in the right direction."

So how exactly does he get the effort turned around in time? West Virginia is 2-2 in Big East play, and has to win out and essentially hope for Cincinnati to lose twice and Louisville to lose two more times to win the league championship.

"They have to buy in to what’s being said from a head coach standpoint, to a coordinator standpoint, to a position coach standpoint," Holgorsen said. "It’s not my team – it’s their team. We do our best to organize it in a way that puts them out there in the best position, and then it’s really about how they play. We talk about it all the time that we’re all in this together. Our job is to put them in a position to win. We’ve got to have guys that have invested enough into the program, that have enough to them, that step up and give their absolute best all the time. The leaders pinpoint guys who aren’t buying in, and they slap them around to the point that they get them bought in."

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/ ... lgorsen-wants-more-effort

Posted on: 11/8/2011 5:17 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From ohio via Panther WV
That man is a breath of fresh air.

Posted on: 11/8/2011 6:39 pm

I-79 Alumni

Anonymous
Account_DeletedAnonymous
Roger THAT.

Posted on: 11/8/2011 6:49 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From ohio via Panther WV

Good read:http://thesignalcaller.com/detail.asp?pid=457
Best line for the article: "An old buddy of mine had a great line several years ago: "West Virginia never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity." "

Being The Man.

By Brandon Priddy

"If you wanna BE the Man, you gotta BEAT the man."

My all-time favorite Ric Flair-ism is as true now as it was when he first uttered it back in 1948. More importantly, it's a truism that the West Virginia Mountaineer football team needs to learn to understand, appreciate and ultimately embrace if they ever expect to compete at the highest level. A couple hot seasons from Cincinnati notwithstanding, WVU is the only team in the conference to have 2 BCS Bowl trophies in it's case and remains the closest thing to a marquee football name in the Big East. Since the first round of detections in 2003, WVU has been picked often 1 and at least 2 in most every preseason poll. People have expected a lot.
It's something the Mountaineers have struggled with for as long as I can remember.

Over 2 decades of WVU football spanning 4 different coaches, some of the best WVU performances have come when the odds seem the longest and some of the worst when they put it on cruise control. Witness the chip-on-the-shoulder ferocity that characterized out-of-nowhere beat downs of Virginia Tech in 2003, Georgia in 2006, Oklahoma in 2008 and Pitt about a half dozen times from 1992 to 2010. Go further back and you'll see the 1981 Peach Bowl blowout of Florida and 1982 shocker in Norman. On the other side of the coin are bowl game flops vs. Virginia in 2002 and Florida State in 2010 where they entered as solid favorites. Or the entire 2004 season. Reach further back and the 1989 Virginia Tech game comes to mind as well as the Fiesta Bowl versus Notre Dame when Beno Cook famously picked them to win the title. Then there is the ultimate collapse - The 2007 Game That Shall Not Be Named.

An old buddy of mine had a great line several years ago: "West Virginia never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity." This rings true to WVU fans because it always seems they come up JUST short when it seems the path is clear. We saw it last year against Syracuse and Connecticut when the conference BCS bid was just begging to be snatched up, and we've seen it again this season.

Maybe it's in our DNA. West Virginians by nature are a scrappy sort, accustomed to being overlooked and fighting uphill. It's a mentality that has always seemed to trickle down to the team and served them well, helping them do great things. For better or worse, WVU just doesn't have the talent level of many teams. However it's still a pretty damn high level of talent, and when properly motivated and adequately pissed off, they can play with anyone. Unfortunately that fire isn't a rapidly renewable fuel and the furnace often runs cold. When that happens, you have a team talented enough to win a lot but not quite good enough to survive on talent alone. So when they run into a buzz-saw - say an FSU team closing out it's coach's historic career or a Pitt team playing to save its season - or maybe an entire program that was insulted by an athletic director - heck, maybe a program shunned by an entire conference - things deteriorate quickly. It happened two weeks ago against Syracuse. It happened on Saturday against Louisville. It happens at least once a season. And if West Virginia University truly wants to compete at the highest level of college football, it needs to stop.

For an education in Being The Man, I would point across the Ohio River at John Calipari's University of Kentucky Wildcats. Playing in an often lackluster SEC basketball conference, the Cats know their game is one that teams have circled on their schedule weeks if not months in advance. For teams that won't make the Final Four or even NCAA Tournament, that Kentucky game is their Super Bowl. Their time to shine. Every arena is sold out, every student section is rocking. The world is watching and Kentucky basketball always gets the kitchen sink. But far from treating this as a burden, Coach Cal has chosen to embrace this, challenging his kids each and every night to match that level of intensity, even using it as a tool to steel his clubs for the postseason grind of one and done tournament play. It's not a cross to bear, it's a badge of honor.

If they ever want to win that elusive title, WVU needs to find a way to embrace a similar mentality in their football program, approaching each and every game with the knowledge that they're going to get somebody's best shot and meeting that with anything less than their best is unacceptable. Additionally, motivation cannot always be an external thing provided for you. Pride must be present even when not under assault. There are no free rides to the winner's circle.

Until that happens, the Mountaineers will continue leasing an apartment at the precipice of greatness with that crystal ball always just a game or two out of reach, denied by a lesser team who wanted it more.

If you liked this article, read more from Brandon Priddy at http://www.blustreaks.com. He's also known to prowl Twitter: @abpriddy. Feedback is always welcome and valued: please aim your musket at abpriddy@gmail.com

Posted on: 11/9/2011 1:00 pm

I-79 Alumni

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
Whistlepig, Southie.....

EXCELLENT posts. Thanks for sharing.

Posted on: 11/9/2011 1:12 pm

Pitt Hater
Its funny how UL and Cuse were the laughing stock of the Big East just two years ago. I believe we have finally meet in the middle.

Besides our WRs, We were a much more talented team last year. I believe we made the transition one year too late. We missed a window of opportunity. I think it will come back around.

Posted on: 11/9/2011 2:03 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Cleveland
We been shown up (academically) by Cuse, UL, sPitt and (gulp) USF???

Don't our boys ever study??

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/ ... ig-east-academic-honorees

Big East academic honorees
November, 10, 2011 6:06PM
By Andrea Adelson

Big East players have been selected to the Capital One All-District team, as selected by the College Sports Information Directors of America.

To be eligible, a student-athlete must be a starter or key reserve and maintain a grade-point average of at least 3.20 on a scale of 4.00. He must have reached sophomore athletic and academic standing at the institution and completed at least one full academic year at the school.

As All-District honorees, these players will now be placed on the national ballot for Academic All-American consideration.

District 1
FB Adam Harris, Syracuse
DB Kevyn Scott, Syracuse

District 2
K Chris Philpott, Louisville
DL Myles Caragein, Pitt

District 4
TE Evan Landi, USF
C Chaz Hine, USF

Posted on: 11/10/2011 6:33 pm

Pitt Hater
From Athens, GA
Quote:

Whistlepig wrote:

Dana Holgorsen wants more effort

"I’m pretty serious about it," he said. "I tend to say what’s on my mind, if you haven’t figured that out by now. That makes some people mad, and others get a kick from it. We’re going to take who wants to win. We’re going to take who wants to pull for his teammates and who wants to be all in on this thing, not guys that pout and mope because they’re not playing or any of the rest of it. We’re going to be a united team, and the only way I know how to get that accomplished is to make sure that we’re only taking people that are focused and headed in the right direction."

When I read that paragraph from the above article I can't help but picture Geno sitting his ass on the bench with his arms crossed not even paying attention to what is happening on the field. Hopefully he'll be one of the 55 on the bus heading across the river.

But I do agree 100% with Holgy.

Posted on: 11/10/2011 7:12 pm

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 199 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved