Pitt Hater
From Chokie Burg
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:
Quote:

Mat_Hematics wrote:
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:
Eery- I kinda agree but, I’m thinking his performance, in the bowl game, was more on the coaches than he. I just don’t think our coaching staff has the ability or imagination to adapt to our players strengths.

I agree that it's more on the coaching staff than Chugs. Not so much in getting a game plan for him, but for the fact they recruited him to begin with. I may be wrong, but I don't think he had any other FBS offers?

I like what Dana has been doing and the direction of the program. But the inability to recruit, other through transfers, a decent FBS caliber QB is an obvious issue. Millard, Chugs, Childress all are scrub qbs at the FBS level. That QB from Liberty when we played them a few years back was waaayyy better than those three.

I will completely agree with your opinion on "inability to recruit" however; a good coaching staff adapt to the players strengths and calling plays accordingly. For example - how did VT start a freshman but, made him look like a red shirt senior? I am not even going to answer that. Then there is our coaching staff who has Chugs throw 45 yard passes when he can't hit a mini van at 40. So, lets have him instead throw what he can. Play to his strengths, not his weaknesses. It is pretty simple, while Chugs was in high school he had someones eye and had to have some ability or he wouldn't have been recruited, right? Or is it, he didn't have much in abilities and our coaching staff is way worse than anyone knows.

I'm no football coach but, I can surely see what works and what doesn't, when you find something that works stick with it until it is no longer effective. As I saw it we kept on calling the same plays that did not work but, we continued. This all lies at the feet of our coaches. Matter of fact - this is similar to how our previous coaching staff tried to make Pat White a pocket passer.

Cody Saunders should have been the backup this past season, but unfortunately he had a health issue after spring practice that forced his retirement from football. I really would have liked to see him play. He looked really good in the spring game two years ago before his redshirt year.

Posted on: 2/8 10:29 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: WVU Football Thread for Things That Don't Need Their Own Thread
Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

jameschi wrote:
Unfortunately, I disagree, missing good cornerbacks, Could be another 7 or 8 win season. You need at least one star CB especially in pass happy Big 12.

I agree, but I also don't want to write it off until we see what happens with the transfer market and what not, we got a couple CB transfers that may play into things (Joshua Norwood, Keith Washington who originally signed for Michigan and Ohio State), and Jayce Rodgers will be a true freshman as well. I think we'll get a better view during the Spring Game, and hopefully these guys work their tails off in the off-season. I still have faith in Gibby, there's times where he's frustrating, but he's gotten more out of our defense in the past few years than I can really remember, let's face it, we had an awful defense last year, and with some experience returning it can be better. If our D-line and linebackers improve and can get pressure on opposing QBs it'll make our CBs job a whole helluva lot easier.

Posted on: 2/9 12:36 am

Makin' it Rain
From North Central, WV
Quote:

apizzle wrote:
Quote:

jameschi wrote:
Unfortunately, I disagree, missing good cornerbacks, Could be another 7 or 8 win season. You need at least one star CB especially in pass happy Big 12.

I agree, but I also don't want to write it off until we see what happens with the transfer market and what not, we got a couple CB transfers that may play into things (Joshua Norwood, Keith Washington who originally signed for Michigan and Ohio State), and Jayce Rodgers will be a true freshman as well. I think we'll get a better view during the Spring Game, and hopefully these guys work their tails off in the off-season. I still have faith in Gibby, there's times where he's frustrating, but he's gotten more out of our defense in the past few years than I can really remember, let's face it, we had an awful defense last year, and with some experience returning it can be better. If our D-line and linebackers improve and can get pressure on opposing QBs it'll make our CBs job a whole helluva lot easier.

Good point. A good QB having all the time in the world to make a pass is going to find an open man eventually. The shorter the window for a QB to make that pass will greatly help our DBs cover.

Posted on: 2/9 1:15 pm

Pitt Hater
Marquel Blackwell new RB coach.

Posted on: 2/15 5:25 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Eastern WV
Quote:

92WVUGrad wrote:
Marquel Blackwell new RB coach.

http://wvusports.com/news/2018/2/15/f ... ching-staff-addition.aspx

Posted on: 2/15 6:20 pm

Pitt Hater
From Halifax, VA
Should be a good hire!

Posted on: 2/15 9:36 pm

Suspected Punter
In roster news, QB David Israel has left the team. His route to playing time was heavily congested at best.

In more serious news, DE Adam Shuler has decided to leave WVU. He wants to pursue track and field, a sport at which he excelled in high school. That drops the number of scholarship players for the fall to 76. They can still sign three more newcomers.

The loss of Israel won't affect a whole lot. The loss of Shuler hurts. He was a key piece at the DE position.

Posted on: 2/21 1:21 pm

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
TBH, Shuler had a dissappointing season, in fact he lost his starting spot. I think everyone was expecting him to be more dominant last season but it just never happened. Yeah it certainly hurts depth but I think it really depends on how good Stills will be.

Posted on: 2/21 8:06 pm

Party Machine
From Barboursville, WV
You always hate to lose a player with that much playing time who still has years left to grow. As last football season began, I couldn't believe what I was seeing in the VT game. It was bad. He was 10 yards downfield...driven back, and then pancaked. They pulled him out after a couple series but he was never the same. He got better throughout last season but was never anywhere near dominant. I had hopes for him though. I hope he does well with discuss.

Posted on: 2/22 5:48 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Canonsburg, PA
Quote:
The loss of Israel won't affect a whole lot.

Yes. Because we were stacked at QB.

So we held him out of any backup roll in the Bowl game so that we wouldn't burn his red-shirt to have him leave?

Glad we did that! Whew we almost wasted a guy's year of eligibility.

I sure hope that people are concerned about this. So now if Grier goes down we HOPE Allison is the answer. Trey Lowe MAY be good someday. So we can expect Chugs to be our second backup...at worst. He is hardly now being buried in our depth chart. It is still early.

Posted on: 2/23 2:26 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From spencer
Israel was a running qb. Not really a fit for our offense

Posted on: 2/23 6:49 pm

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
If Israel was any good then I have a feeling Spatival and Holgerson would of been all over him. He was insurance if Chugs has got hurt last year too. Better a guy to leave on his own then sit idle on roster like Crest, Chugs, etc.

Posted on: 2/24 8:44 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
Anybody know who we're going after on the grad transfer market? Wouldn't be surprised to pick up a DE after the Shuler news.

Posted on: 2/25 11:50 am

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
We need Cornerbacks, Cornerbacks, and more cornerbacks.

Posted on: 2/25 2:07 pm

Pitt Hater
From Atlanta, GA
Clemson lost two guys off their team to grad transfers: Sterling Johnson and Jabril Robinson. They're loaded on the DL. Worst comes to worst, those guys practiced with the best for 3-4 years and have seen what it takes.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/fo ... d/190042/sterling-johnson

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/fo ... id/174143/jabril-robinson

Posted on: 2/25 6:33 pm

Here for the Beer
From Aberdeen, NC
Suck eggs

Posted on: 2/25 6:41 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

DirtyDubVee wrote:
Clemson lost two guys off their team to grad transfers: Sterling Johnson and Jabril Robinson. They're loaded on the DL. Worst comes to worst, those guys practiced with the best for 3-4 years and have seen what it takes.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/fo ... d/190042/sterling-johnson

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/fo ... id/174143/jabril-robinson

Absolutely think we should attempt to try to take a flier on these guys, playing for a national champion, on a incredibly loaded D-Line means they know how to prepare for practice, and that type of mentality bleeds over to other people. Getting some champion mindsets in the team can only be beneficial.

Posted on: 2/25 10:18 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Eastern WV

Posted on: 2/27 10:55 am

Pitt Hater
Chugs has left the program. Plus Jaleel Fields.

Posted on: 2/28 11:54 am

Makin' it Rain
From Eastern WV
Thanks for the update. Fields was recovering from surgery according to the article I posted above. Not sure if him leaving will hurt us or not.

Quote:
During his spring media luncheon, West Virginia Head Coach Dana Holgorsen confirmed that at least two more scholarship players will transfer after the semester.

First is quarterback Chris Chugunov, who will graduate in May and then find a new home. The redshirt junior took over for an injured Will Grier last year, and the Mountaineers lost all three games. With a healthy Grier back, he was expected to fight for the backup job again, pressed by Miami transfer Jack Allison.

The other moving on is Jaleel Fields. The senior defensive lineman is expected to graduate in May and move on to with fellow WPIAL star Ricky Rogers. Sources tell Eersports that both with play at Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

Author

Chris Anderson @CMAnderson247

https://247sports.com/college/west-vir ... rs-transferring-115658684

Posted on: 2/28 1:26 pm

« 1 ... 202 203 204 (205) 206 207 208 209 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved