We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 ... 203 204 205 (206) 207 208 209 210 »

Re: WVU Football Thread for Things That Don't Need Their Own Thread

From Charlottesville, Virginia
I am really rooting for William Crest to have a great year. He has earned it.

Posted on: 3/1 9:00 am

Pitt Hater
I agree. Not sure why he hasn't produced more. Then again Will would only throw the ball to 4 receivers last year. I hope that isn't the case this year.

Posted on: 3/1 8:06 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
I would love to see Crest get some WR in game reps and have a nice year. Kid has hung in there.

Posted on: 3/2 5:26 pm

Eat Shit Pitt

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
What has Crest earned? Hung in where? Not sure I follow. He got a nice 4 year scholarship even though he's not a D-1 player. It would actually be better if he had left for WVU(freeing up another scholly) and for himself, he could start at a smaller school rather than riding the bench his whole career. Let's be honest here he's been a waste of a scholly, the time and energy from coaches spent on him to realize he's not a D-1 player. No one obviously knows him on this site but yeah he does seem like a decent person from the outside.

Posted on: 3/2 8:04 pm

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
I am simply rooting for him to succeed. He has been a bust but he hasn't quit. He thought about it, but didn't. Playing football at this level on a scout team or as a benchwarmer is still hard work that requires organization, discipline and routine. He had big expectations from all of us and hasn't lived up to the hype. That can be a big cross to bear for a young man. He has toughed it out and hung in there. For that I salute him. I don't know him, but I wish him success.

I don't know what he has earned or hasn't earned, but I would love to see him improve to the point that he gets reps in games and could contribute. I'm not suggesting the coaches hand him reps if he sucks just because he has stayed on the team. That would be some stupid shit. You calling me stupid? J/K. You're stupid.

Posted on: 3/3 12:03 am

Eat Shit Pitt

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Gotcha, Just getting so tired of hearing about William Crest and how fans want to see him in games, seems like a good kid, but yeah he's a bust, lets move on.

It still boggles my mind how Dana or coaching staff choose High school QB prospects, did they watch film on him or do there due diligence? I don't think any other D-1 school saw Crest as a QB. They get these prospects like Chugs or Milliard that no other D-1 school wants, for a reason. I think Dana should not bother with high school QB prospects and stick with QB transfers. Coaching staff spends like 4 years to develop guys like Chugs and Milliard that aren't even good backup QB's. Just a waste of time and effort.

Posted on: 3/3 9:00 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

jameschi wrote:
Gotcha, Just getting so tired of hearing about William Crest and how fans want to see him in games, seems like a good kid, but yeah he's a bust, lets move on.

It still boggles my mind how Dana or coaching staff choose High school QB prospects, did they watch film on him or do there due diligence? I don't think any other D-1 school saw Crest as a QB. They get these prospects like Chugs or Milliard that no other D-1 school wants, for a reason. I think Dana should not bother with high school QB prospects and stick with QB transfers. Coaching staff spends like 4 years to develop guys like Chugs and Milliard that aren't even good backup QB's. Just a waste of time and effort.

Though that is one thing Dana hasn't really figured out, which is boggling to me, it's been some bad luck as well. Cody Saunders looked damn good until he had to cut his career short, Ford Childress had all the signs of being a good QB, looked good in his first start, miles above Chugs, but never panned out, this Woodrow Lowe kid is supposed to be pretty good, but we'll see.

The good thing is, Dana adjusted and picked up big time QBs via transfer with Trickett doing a great job for a couple years, and Grier being well.. Grier. We don't know about Allison yet, but he was also highly ranked as a transfer, we'll know more after the Blue/Gold game. If this is how we get talent, I'm not complaining, because we aren't going to out recruit blue bloods, and there's only a handful of Elite QBs that can master our system.

Posted on: 3/4 2:22 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From spencer
If Allison or lowe prove to be even close to Grier ability and Grier goes high in the draft it will raise our stock with qb recruits. They want to go to a place that puts qb’s in the nfl

Posted on: 3/4 10:52 pm

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
I really don't see it as a problem if Holgs just strictly goes for transfers, that can start for 2 or 3 years. Trickett, and Grier have worked out great and we'll see how good Allison is this spring.

Was somewhat suprised that Crawford ran only a 4.6, really thought he was at least in the 4.5 range.

I'm hoping Pitts thrives as CB, really need some help there.

Posted on: 3/5 9:32 am

Party Machine
Looks like Reggie Roberson is leaving the program as well. He tweeted he was excited to run track next year that he had missed it. Unless WVU is starting a track program

Posted on: 4/1 6:50 am

Pitt Hater
Looks like ESPN has us projected for a 6-6 season this year. Feels a little low to me in the win column but I can't see how we are in the conference championship. Texas and Baylor should both be better but Texas will be a hard game. Unless we get the D lineman from Clemson I don't see how our D is any better than last year. The offense has to do 40/game like others have said or it's another long year.

Posted on: 4/9 11:38 am

Pitt Hater
From Atlanta, GA
Which of the DLs from Clemson are they closing in on?

Rumor has it Johnson (the more highly ranked recruit) might not have his academics in line and would possibly have to sit out a year. Robinson is immediately eligible though.

Posted on: 4/9 12:55 pm

Pitt Hater
Jabril Robinson visited Saturday.

Posted on: 4/9 2:26 pm

Pitt Hater
From Atlanta, GA
Good news. That'd be a big get. He's a talented kid. Not sure how the transition from the 4-3 to 3-3-5 will be, but time will tell if he commits.

Posted on: 4/9 6:32 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

DirtyDubVee wrote:
Which of the DLs from Clemson are they closing in on?

Rumor has it Johnson (the more highly ranked recruit) might not have his academics in line and would possibly have to sit out a year. Robinson is immediately eligible though.

I'd take either, both played on one of the top three defensive lines in the country, going up against that in practice has to make you better and develop, and the lord knows we need some defensive line help. One of those guys with the Stills brothers sounds alright to me.

Posted on: 4/9 7:26 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

92WVUGrad wrote:
Looks like ESPN has us projected for a 6-6 season this year. Feels a little low to me in the win column but I can't see how we are in the conference championship. Texas and Baylor should both be better but Texas will be a hard game. Unless we get the D lineman from Clemson I don't see how our D is any better than last year. The offense has to do 40/game like others have said or it's another long year.

It’s funny, the literal same day the headline on ESPN CFB page was that our offense will be the best in America. Then below that was the FPI which slates ya at 6-6 and 36th in the country. Meanwhile all their rankings outside of FPI had us as high as 11th and no lower than 18th (nearly every preseason site has us 12-20). So we shall see. If we truly were 10th or 11th I’d say with the losses of some DL guys we are closer to 20th right now. But with wins against UT and NCSU (which will be tougher IMO) we will be 10th when League play starts. My expectation is for us to play in the B12 title game. My dream is the playoff. I’d say based on the roster and the schedule we go 9-3 and finish 2nd or 3rd in the league

Posted on: 4/10 9:23 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

WVUswim wrote:
Quote:

92WVUGrad wrote:

It’s funny, the literal same day the headline on ESPN CFB page was that our offense will be the best in America. Then below that was the FPI which slates ya at 6-6 and 36th in the country. Meanwhile all their rankings outside of FPI had us as high as 11th and no lower than 18th (nearly every preseason site has us 12-20). So we shall see. If we truly were 10th or 11th I’d say with the losses of some DL guys we are closer to 20th right now. But with wins against UT and NCSU (which will be tougher IMO) we will be 10th when League play starts. My expectation is for us to play in the B12 title game. My dream is the playoff. I’d say based on the roster and the schedule we go 9-3 and finish 2nd or 3rd in the league

I'm usually really optimistic, but I think I'm becoming more in tune with reality these past few years. This defense is a dumpster fire right now, sure we got the big USC transfer and the UCLA transfer, but there's more holes in this defense than a slice of swiss cheese, I just don't know how it's going to be able to hold up and get us 9 wins, which really sucks because if McDougle and Shriner didn't transfer out, I would have felt miles better.

We still need more cornerback help, and linebacking help (I really don't think some DIII linebacker is going to make a huge difference for us next year, but who knows), and really just not looking promising....

Grier and the offense I think will take a step up, with TJ Simmons and Jovanni Haskins eligible to play now, and I do think they'll be insanely explosive, but it also still all depends on how much Spavital has learned from last season because his play-calling drove me up the wall. It wasn't fresh and innovative, and honestly I would have much rather had Dana just calling the plays.

I think we get lucky and hit 8 wins, but at the same time could see a 7-5 season, ceiling is 10 if EVERYTHING goes right from now on, but I truly can't remember the last time that's happened for us in any sport. *sigh*

Posted on: 4/10 1:17 pm

Suspected Punter
apizzle,

I hear you, but out of all the guys that transferred out, only Shuler was going to see much playing time this year. Word is McDougle wasn't going to play anyway due to rehabbing his shoulder. Losing him for 2019 and beyond will be felt, but 2018 wasn't going to matter for him.

Having said that, I'm cautiously non-pessimistic about DL and CB. If we can avoid any more injuries, I like the DE rotation of Rose, Donahue, Dante, and perhaps Robinson from Clemson, with Darius, Thrift, and Bam Bam Bigelow at nose. Throw in Pooler and Wolfley for a series here and there and that is a serviceable 9-man rotation up front without having to use Gmiter and Allen. CB looks more solid than last year, with Bailey, Long, and Mahone on one side with Washington, Fisher, and Pitts on the other. Everyone is one year older in the system with a transfer senior there. It won't be the 2015 D-backfield, but I think it can be serviceable. I think both units are pretty legit upgrades over last year's models, and last year the D kept us in every game but OU and OSU. Mayfield and Rudolph are gone this year.

LB is a little worrisome, but I think Long and Tonk will thrive. The Sam LB will be interesting, but it was last year too. All the D needs to do is hold serve. This bunch is at least capable of that.

Posted on: 4/10 5:56 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Madison, AL

Posted on: 4/10 9:34 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Madison, AL

Posted on: 4/10 9:37 pm

« 1 ... 203 204 205 (206) 207 208 209 210 »

Login