We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

(1) 2 3 4 ... 11 »

Michelle Obama, Thanks For Banning King Sized Candy
Makin' it Rain
From Orlando
Quote:
Your next trip to the gas station or stroll through the candy aisle might include smaller sized candy bars. Thanks to Michelle Obama lobbying Mars Candy to sign her “Healthier America” agreement you will no longer have the option to buy King Sized Candy. Leave it up to the liberal lifestyle police to protect you from yourself… eating candy. Seriously? What’s next. It’s not that obesity in America isn’t an issue. It is. It’s that the government is interfering with the choices you make for your own health. Now you’ll just lose a bit of money if you decide to buy two regular size candy bars to get the same amount of candy(until that becomes illegal). This comes in with other recent news of children who are being forced to eat school lunch because the sack meal their parents made for them at home doesn’t meet Michelle Obama’s health standards. I’m not even sure who our health belongs to anymore… ourselves or the government? Coming soon… “Eat this government designated meal or else!” Who do these people think they are?

Posted on: 2/19/2012 10:19 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Michelle Obama, Thanks For Banning King Sized Candy
Gettin' Schmitty
From Warrenton, Va
This is disingenuous.

There is no law against king sized candy. The federal government did not ban anything.

Mars is doing this as part of the "Partnership for a healthier America" along with several other companies. Whereas I personally don't like it, it is arguably a more healthy move. This pits the right of people to eat big candy bars against the right of companies to decide not to make them.

These companies have a right to do this, and if you don't like it you have a right to buy candy from another company.

The REAL question you need to ask is "What political pressure did the 'Partnership' bring to the discussion with Mars"? There probably was a good deal. To my thinking this is just as bad as religious and "family values" groups boycotting stores that have gay spokespeople or don't actively discourage their employees from being gay.

In short, people have a right to be gay, and to be big fat pigs. If you don't like gay people then avoid them while understanding they have a right to be gay. If you don't want you or your kid to be fat...PUT DOWN THE CANDY BAR AND WALK AROUND THE BLOCK!.

JEBUS!

EDIT: Sorry, just had a rage moment.

Posted on: 2/19/2012 10:42 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Warrenton, Va
Also, the Partnership website has a really CREEPY endless loop of a kid eating an apple

http://www.ahealthieramerica.org/#!/home

it just goes on and on and on and on.....

Posted on: 2/19/2012 10:44 am

From Charlottesville, Virginia
That would be great except for the fact that the company did it voluntarily and not by federal mandate. I am sure that positive PR and market forces have nothing to do with this decision by Mars. I have seen some pretty immature whining from people about all kinds of political topics, but bitching about not getting enough candy has got to take first prize.

BTW Bill - don't you rail on the government for over-regulating American industry, in large part based on the premise that the market will cause corporations to police themselves? And now you are bitching about a corporation taking responsibility without the need for regulations? C'mon man. Where is your A game?

Posted on: 2/19/2012 10:52 am

Makin' it Rain
From Philadelphia, PA via Pittsburgh, PA
Did anyone notice when McDonalds stop asking if you wanted to Super Size it?

…think about it.

Posted on: 2/19/2012 11:28 am

Pitt Hater
From Richmond,Va
Michelle Obama cannot make laws. The " sack lunch " story was repeated incessantly by Rush Limbaugh as if it is some epidemic across the good ol USA. It happened once. Mars can package their product in any size they want, and will continue to do so. No incorrect spellings in the post ! Ding Ding Ding--we have a first time winner !!!

Posted on: 2/19/2012 11:33 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
cayce, I believed it already happened again in the same week also in North Carolina. Get ready for big brother and out of control government. Libs like to take baby steps. Like the frog and the boiling water story. If you try to cook the frog by throwing it into boiling water, it will jump out. But if you put it in cool water then slowly turn up the heat, dinner time. As Obummer's Cass Sunstein says, the government needs to nudge people in the right direction.

Posted on: 2/19/2012 11:53 am

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
Zog like candy! Zog want big candy! Obama bad. Bad Obama.
Zog hate fatty police. Fatty police bad. Mars is planet, not candy. Zog just eat 2 candies now. Apples go bad. Bad apples. Candy never spoil.

Posted on: 2/19/2012 11:54 am

Ingest Feces Pittsburgh!

Quote:

92WVUGrad wrote:
cayce, I believed it already happened again in the same week also in North Carolina. Get ready for big brother and out of control government. Libs like to take baby steps. Like the frog and the boiling water story. If you try to cook the frog by throwing it into boiling water, it will jump out. But if you put it in cool water then slowly turn up the heat, dinner time. As Obummer's Cass Sunstein says, the government needs to nudge people in the right direction.

It is interesting that you use the word "nudge." There is a best selling book by that title that discusses policy choices and the roles of government and corporations in driving individual's decisions. One of their conclusions is that people are going to be nudged one way or another. That being the case, shouldn't the government do so responsibly? It is a great book by the way.

Posted on: 2/19/2012 12:01 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
That book is by Cass Sunstein. Here is the article on the second assault on a child's lunch.

Lunch troopers

Posted on: 2/19/2012 12:15 pm

WMITC
From Here
Just buy two smaller ones. Good for the economy.

Posted on: 2/19/2012 12:22 pm

Quote:

92WVUGrad wrote:

But tin foil caps let us tune into their secret communicationsw and keep us safe.

Posted on: 2/19/2012 12:25 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Warrenton, Va
Quote:

92WVUGrad wrote:

My understanding is that this was a mistake by a teacher that was exploited by the conservative media to make some political hay, and the Hoke county school system has very publicly indicated this and dealt with the issue. You, of course, won't see that latter part on any of those conservative media outlets.

Sunrise, sunset.

I agree totally that monitoring bag lunches for some sort of compliance is just insane. Frankly I don't want my child to eat the school lunches at his school because of the HFCS in most of the food. But as much as I dislike excessive government control I am equally unhappy when those that oppose it piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

In any event, I'd be careful of making this into something it isn't, after all...pizza is a vegetable, right?

Posted on: 2/19/2012 12:49 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
If pizza is a veggy, what about pepperoni rolls?

Posted on: 2/19/2012 1:41 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Warrenton, Va
Fruit roll up!

Posted on: 2/19/2012 2:17 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Orlando
Quote:
Thanks to Michelle Obama lobbying Mars Candy to sign her “Healthier America” agreement you will no longer have the option to buy King Sized Candy.

Your all right it is not a law, but you got to admit, Michelle Obama calling you up and asking you to sing something, might influence you to do it, when you would have done it other wise.

Posted on: 2/19/2012 2:28 pm

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
You will have to pry my King Size Snickers from my cold dead hands!

Posted on: 2/19/2012 8:18 pm

Ingest Feces Pittsburgh!

Suspected Punter
From NC via Winfield, WV
Quote:

zwaaa wrote:

In short, people have a right to be gay, and to be big fat pigs. If you don't like gay people then avoid them while understanding they have a right to be gay. If you don't want you or your kid to be fat...PUT DOWN THE CANDY BAR AND WALK AROUND THE BLOCK!.

JEBUS!

EDIT: Sorry, just had a rage moment.

That sums up my opinion on this as well. Thank you.

Posted on: 2/19/2012 8:28 pm

Pitt Hater
From Washington DC
I for one am happy to hear somebody recommending to this country's fat asses to have some goddamn self control now that I will soon be paying for their healthcare.

Just buy 2 freaking candy bars and STFU if you absolutely MUST eat MORE candy.

Posted on: 2/19/2012 8:41 pm

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
I am doubling my butter intake in protest. You can't tell me what to eat. Gotta go fry up some bacon now.

Posted on: 2/19/2012 8:59 pm

Ingest Feces Pittsburgh!

(1) 2 3 4 ... 11 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved