We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

(1) 2 3 4 ... 97 »

Obamacare goes to the Supreme Court
Anonymous
Account_DeletedAnonymous
Very interesting lines of questioning by the Justices. Here's the audio on the arguments regarding the "individual mandate".

http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_argu ... x?argument=11-398-Tuesday

Posted on: 3/27/2012 4:44 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Obamacare goes to the Supreme Court
Account_Deleted
Thanks for the link, Hard to keep up with who is who! but somthing nice to listin to all the same.

Posted on: 3/27/2012 5:51 pm

Here for the Beer
I sure hope we get the health care cause the government can do it so much better than any other organization.

Posted on: 3/27/2012 5:58 pm

Makin' it Rain
From listening to the audio of this morning's argument, it appears that the Constitution is a pre-existing condition that doesn't cover Obamacare unless the SCOTUS scan reveals an emanating penumbra.

Posted on: 3/27/2012 6:30 pm

Account_Deleted
Quote:
I sure hope we get the health care cause the government can do it so much better than any other organization.

That is a joke right?

Posted on: 3/27/2012 6:42 pm

Here for the Beer
From Chester, WV
Obamacare is the big joke and it's far from funny!!

Posted on: 3/27/2012 6:49 pm

Anonymous
Account_DeletedAnonymous
I think it was a bad day for the government. My opinion, they did a lousy job of explaining why the federal government has the power to mandate the individual purchase of anything, and they also failed to explain why other options short of issuing the mandate weren't pursued when they could have accomplished the same thing. Oh, and the Solicitor General did a terrible job of presenting their case. He acted unsure of himself and like he had a mouthful of crap.

Posted on: 3/27/2012 9:36 pm

Pitt Hater
From Richmond,Va
That's what I heard on Sean Hannity's program today. It may be true.
We won't know until June,right ?

Posted on: 3/27/2012 10:09 pm

Account_Deleted
If were lucky June, Local guy on the Radio was saying they would try to wait for congress to be out of session to limit the out rage and such, which ever way it may end.

Posted on: 3/27/2012 10:50 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Just barely outside the Beltway.
For those of you that like to get things firsthand, rather than letting Faux/MSNBC tell you what to think

http://www.scribd.com/doc/87064229/Ma ... edings-on-health-care-law

Posted on: 3/28/2012 1:38 pm

Anonymous
Account_DeletedAnonymous
Better than the link to the actual audio of the hearing like I provided in my link? Where you can listen to the arguments for yourself?

Posted on: 3/28/2012 2:12 pm

From Charlottesville, Virginia
A couple of suggestions for folks who want to read the transcript. First, remember that the parties have already submitted detailed briefs that are supposed to encompass all of their arguments. Oral arguments are not for the parties to spell out their entire argument. They are designed to give the justices a chance to ask for additional information. Second, don't assume that a question by a justice means that he or she isn't favoring that party. Justices have many reasons for asking questions. They are not advocates and are not trying to rule on the case during the hearing. They may actually be prodding for information they need to rule in that side's favor.

Posted on: 3/28/2012 2:24 pm

From Charlottesville, Virginia
Quote:

wvman75 wrote:
Better than the link to the actual audio of the hearing like I provided in my link? Where you can listen to the arguments for yourself?

Yes. The transcript provides additional information, such as which Justice is asking the queston.

Posted on: 3/28/2012 2:25 pm

Pitt Hater
From Richmond,Va
Exactly, EERS. these " oral arguments " are preliminary and just allow the justices to ask more questions. The final decision will be in June ,right ? I would also like to see the constitutions of the other 32 out of 33 nations that have socialized health care, from cradle to grave , and see how much the people in those other industrialized nations hate having this system. Since all of them do and have kept it for years, only one of the industrialized nations didn't do it....the most bankrupt nation on earth.

Posted on: 3/28/2012 2:53 pm

Anonymous
Account_DeletedAnonymous
I've listened carefully to all three days of arguments. I have my own opinion on how I believe the Court is going to rule. Anyone else have an opinion? I know that I might be wrong, but, I guess we'll find out in due time. Anyone else have an opinion on how they believe the Court will rule?

Posted on: 3/28/2012 4:39 pm

Anonymous
Account_DeletedAnonymous
Quote:
Eers88 wrote: Yes. The transcript provides additional information, such as which Justice is asking the queston.

That hasn't been hard for me to figure out by listening to the actual audio. Plus, it gives better context than just reading the transcipts. For me, anyway.

Posted on: 3/28/2012 4:51 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Just barely outside the Beltway.
Quote:

wvman75 wrote:

It's a fair point.

Sorry.

Thus far I see them striking down the mandate, but not striking down the bill. Kennedy should vote along party lines, but those conservative catholics are an independent bunch!

5-4 drop the mandate keep the bill.

Posted on: 3/28/2012 5:17 pm

Anonymous
Account_DeletedAnonymous
That's quite all right, zwaaa. I meant no offense, I was only asking.

That's the outcome I see as well, but I don't think the the decision on the individual mandate will be that close. I think they'll find it unconstitutional and try and preserve some aspects of the program. I don't really know how successful that will be, since it depended heavily on the mandate for funding or trying to reduce premium costs through forced participation.

Posted on: 3/28/2012 5:25 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
It will be ruled unconstitutional and will be repealed... the whole thing.

Overwhelmingly, the American people are opposed to the bill. It was rushed through a partisan congress and is the worst piece of legislation that has ever been passed. That became quite evident to anyone with a clue during the 2010 elections. The thing is... Obama, Reid and Pelosi, along with most of their little democrat bitches just don't have a clue.

It will be ruled unconstitutional or our republic will cease to exist as we have known it. There's a majority of people that are fed up now. Many of them are looking for a fight. They are tired of being pushed around.

Posted on: 3/28/2012 5:35 pm

Makin' it Rain
From West By God
Quote:

wvu-willy wrote:
It will be ruled unconstitutional and will be repealed... the whole thing.

Overwhelmingly, the American people are opposed to the bill. It was rushed through a partisan congress and is the worst piece of legislation that has ever been passed. That became quite evident to anyone with a clue during the 2010 elections. The thing is... Obama, Reid and Pelosi, along with most of their little democrat bitches just don't have a clue.

It will be ruled unconstitutional or our republic will cease to exist as we have known it. There's a majority of people that are fed up now. Many of them are looking for a fight. They are tired of being pushed around.

I agree and hope to God it will be ruled unconstitutional.

Posted on: 3/28/2012 6:27 pm

(1) 2 3 4 ... 97 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved