We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 287 »

Re: Yet another school massacre post-mortem analysis
Gettin' Schmitty
From Robertsdale,Al via parkersburg
I`m curious to know what some of you would like to see for stricter gun control ? Something realistic other than turn all your personal protection over to the authorities because that will do nothing.

Posted on: 12/15/2012 4:02 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Makin' it Rain
From Jacksonville, FL via Parkersburg
I have some ideas whenever the all clear is given.

each child was shot 3 to 11 times by a rifle. .223 casings were found.

20 children gunned down. 6 adults at the school. Dropped dead in their tracks.

There's a reason the Bushmaster M4 is used by the armies of 60 countries.

Posted on: 12/15/2012 5:02 pm

WMITC
From Here
Quote:

wvsouth1 wrote:
I`m curious to know what some of you would like to see for stricter gun control ? Something realistic other than turn all your personal protection over to the authorities because that will do nothing.

1. Ban assault weapons except for police and military.

2. Stop the manufacture and sale of ammunition for those guns still in circulation, other than to police or military. When the owners run out of bullets, they become clubs or paperweights.

3. Enact longer waiting period to buy a gun and more extensive background checks focusing on, among other things, mental health issues.

4. Place severe restrictions on buying guns at gun shows.

5. Protect the right of people to buy handguns for personal protection as well as hunting rifles, but do everything possible to investigate and educate the purchasers of these guns and make gun safety training a mandatory requirement before you can have the gun.

6. Enforce tougher laws and enact stiffer penalties for any crime in which a gun is involved and for unlawful sale of guns.

That's off the top of my head.

Will this stop gun violence? No, but it would reduce it to some degree, and saving a few lives is better than saving no lives at all. In time, the number of illegal guns will be diminished, but only if something is done to curb their manufacture, sale and use.

You have to start somewhere, instead of just sitting home on your Second Amendment ass and parroting the catch phrase of the NRA: "Guns don't kill people, people kill people."

That's a cop out. It is not the answer and it is not a solution to anything.

Posted on: 12/15/2012 5:23 pm

Makin' it Rain
From West By God
Quote:

SaneJane wrote:
Quote:

wvsouth1 wrote:

1. Ban assault weapons except for police and military.

2. Stop the manufacture and sale of ammunition for those guns still in circulation, other than to police or military. When the owners run out of bullets, they become clubs or paperweights.

3. Enact longer waiting period to buy a gun and more extensive background checks focusing on, among other things, mental health issues.

4. Place severe restrictions on buying guns at gun shows.

5. Protect the right of people to buy handguns for personal protection as well as hunting rifles, but do everything possible to investigate and educate the purchasers of these guns and make gun safety training a mandatory requirement before you can have the gun.

6. Enforce tougher laws and enact stiffer penalties for any crime in which a gun is involved and for unlawful sale of guns.

That's off the top of my head.

Will this stop gun violence? No, but it would reduce it to some degree, and saving a few lives is better than saving no lives at all. In time, the number of illegal guns will be diminished, but only if something is done to curb their manufacture, sale and use.

You have to start somewhere, instead of just sitting home on your Second Amendment ass and parroting the catch phrase of the NRA: "Guns don't kill people, people kill people."

That's a cop out. It is not the answer and it is not a solution to anything.

Here is why most of what you say above will not work and is plain garbage.

1. Assult weapon was not used in this attack you had two pistols that were probably both brady bill era purchases so they allready had a mag capacity restriction placed on it. I have every right and should have every right to go out and pay to get a machine gun permit and go through the legal process that is out there to purchase one fully automatic weapons are not that easy to legally obtain.

2. Apparently you know nothing about re-loading if i thought there was going to be ban put on that ammo i would have a set of reloading dies and about 1000 rounds of spent brass sent to my house long before that ban went in place and i could continue to reload that ammunition and shot in my big bad "assult weapon" you crazy libs think are so awful.

3. I am a law abbiding citizen and should not have to wait more than about 5 mins for a background check prior to purchasing a firearm at a gun store there are place in charleston that i would never buy from because they are in the city limits and they have a 3 day waiting period on all gun purchases.

4. No big deal here, could care less either way on gun shoes

5. Great idea have no problem with either most people that buy guns legal have been brought up around them and have had plenty of saftery but when your dealing with guns you can never practice enough saftey and its allways a good refreshers because its human nature to be relaxed and get comfortable after awhil so i think this is great as well.

6 Again no problem here i think this should have been done a long time ago.

Posted on: 12/15/2012 6:04 pm

Makin' it Rain
From West By God
Quote:

rdwrites wrote:
I have some ideas whenever the all clear is given.

each child was shot 3 to 11 times by a rifle. .223 casings were found.

20 children gunned down. 6 adults at the school. Dropped dead in their tracks.

There's a reason the Bushmaster M4 is used by the armies of 60 countries.

i admit when i was wrong and the reports i read this am said the 223 was found in the gunmans car and that was incorrect so i stand corrected.

Now as far as the bushmaster goes its a great gun and one that is fun as hell to shot

Posted on: 12/15/2012 6:11 pm

WMITC
From Here
It's so hard to reason with someone who is never wrong.

Question: What is a Bushmaster?

Open in new window

This is the gun the medical examiner says was used to pump 3 to 11 bullets each into 20 six-year-old children. Not the Glock, and not the Sig. I would call this an assault weapon, not the kind of gun needed for home protection or hunting deer.

And as a law-abiding citizen, why do you care how long it takes you to get your gun and what kind of background checks you have to undergo? What's your hurry?

I once worked in a nuclear power plant. I had to go through a more extensive background review just to go to work than most people have to undergo to buy a gun.

Finally, the guy who killed these children may well have been a law abiding citizen, too...until he wasn't.

Posted on: 12/15/2012 6:18 pm

WMITC
From Here
I posted my last one before I saw your last one.

Posted on: 12/15/2012 6:26 pm

Makin' it Rain
From West By God
not a problem i posted my response to you prior to me looking up that new information was released on the weapons i had missed rd's earlier response as well, and going off of outdated information from this am and some news outlets are still reporting the 223 was left in the car and all he had was the sig and the glock but i am going to say they are outdated as well based on the me quote.

This guy could have been a law abbing citizen when he went through the process to by his 223 the first time and the extended background check still would not have worked.

When i go out to buy something i go out and want it now esp when i am spending as much money as you do on a gun, with today's instant information backrground take only about 5 mins and should.

You don't use a 223 to hunt deer with but for those of us that love to shoot anything that burns powder they are fun to play with and we enjoy honing our craft in all guns, most gun owners have never met a gun they don't like and find new challenges in trying to master all types of guns and enjoy that challenge and that right should not be taken away from them because of some idiot, who could have stolen the 223 instead of buying it legaly there will allways be away for people to do evil if they chose too,

A 12 gage tatical shotgun would have been just as effective as a 223 in a close quarter

Posted on: 12/15/2012 6:33 pm

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
I hunted for years with my father's .223 Mini-14, which is a semi-auto rifle.

I've got some serious reservations about all of the conflicting information out there. Why in the hell would initial reports say the rifle was in the car if it was with the shooter?

Hitler also said people would be safer if the populace was unarmed.

Posted on: 12/15/2012 6:41 pm

Quote:

SaneJane wrote:

Finally, the guy who killed these children may well have been a law abiding citizen, too...until he wasn't.

Precisely, what law would work here? This kid broke the existing laws, he stole the guns...words on paper didn't stop him.

Cocaine and heroin are 100% illegal, not regulated ...nobody gets their hands on that stuff, do they?

Posted on: 12/15/2012 6:45 pm

WMITC
From Here
I never proposed disarming the populace. Read point #5.

Posted on: 12/15/2012 6:45 pm

Anyone with any practice can pump out 100 rounds a minute with a standard semi-auto pistol and 10 preloaded 10-round clips.

Posted on: 12/15/2012 6:50 pm

Sane, is this one OK with you?
Open in new window

This one?

Open in new window

What's the difference between that one and this?

Open in new window

Functionally, nothing.

Posted on: 12/15/2012 7:06 pm

Makin' it Rain
From West By God
wvis any chance you want to pack your toys up and come to the charleston area and play one day.....beer and ammo on me lol

Posted on: 12/15/2012 7:14 pm

Quote:

A-MAN wrote:
wvis any chance you want to pack your toys up and come to the charleston area and play one day.....beer and ammo on me lol

If I lived anywhere near, I would in a heartbeat. As is, I'm 7 hours from Morgantown.

Unfortunately, I only have one toy right now. Although, I suspect my gf got me a shotgun for Christmas. I told her I almost stopped by dicks and bought one on Friday, she said I shouldn't, that I should get a pistol instead.

I'm planning to drop off a pistol purchasing permit form on Monday. Don't know what to get yet though. I'm starting to think I should get a Mini now while I can too.

Posted on: 12/15/2012 7:44 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Canonsburg, PA
Ah, What the heck....A little time before the game. I'll chime in.

All of the laws you can imagine would not have kept this from happening. It is sad. I actually have felt more grief over this than most and I don't really know why. But I have. The answer is not more laws. The kid stole the guns from his parent. For all we know the mother fought him and that is why he killed her....who knows.

Those that are clammering about school prayer and taking God out of the schools. Nice. Let's religiousize this situation. Nothing better than shoving religion around over the bodies of dead children. And people on here say how insensitive I am about religion. That is real sweet. Who says that this guy wasn't a devout follower of God. To those I have two questions. Was God there? Could he have stopped it? Did he choose not to?

At the same time, there are some that have said that he mentioned the Mayan "end of the world". These myths have got to go in our society. They are the root of more pain....MUCH more pain.... than they are worth.

This is an example of a person using a gun. 15+ years ago Timothy McVeigh loaded a van with fertilizer and diesel fuel and killed a daycare full of children in the Federal building in Oklahoma. There is no end to ways that these morons can gain attention. If you REALLY want to stop it. QUIT putting it on television 24 hours a day. I know that will never happen but these are people looking to end their lives in a flash of glory. You can not EVER legislate a solution to that. Sadly.

People on here know my feelings about Obama....I am no fan of his but to question him crying when talking about this is utter assholishness.

Posted on: 12/15/2012 7:53 pm

WMITC
From Here
Look...

wvsouth1 asked for suggestions and I presented what I think is a reasonable set of proposals, some of which are even supported by the NRA. I'm not suggesting they take away your guns and my ideas are nothing more than a few steps toward addressing a serious problem.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me. Not on this board. Not with all the gun owners here.

But don't expect me to change my opinion. Someone asked for it and I gave it.

That's really all I have to say.

Posted on: 12/15/2012 9:08 pm

Makin' it Rain
Spot on.

Quote:

brobison wrote:
Ah, What the heck....A little time before the game. I'll chime in.

All of the laws you can imagine would not have kept this from happening. It is sad. I actually have felt more grief over this than most and I don't really know why. But I have. The answer is not more laws. The kid stole the guns from his parent. For all we know the mother fought him and that is why he killed her....who knows.

Those that are clammering about school prayer and taking God out of the schools. Nice. Let's religiousize this situation. Nothing better than shoving religion around over the bodies of dead children. And people on here say how insensitive I am about religion. That is real sweet. Who says that this guy wasn't a devout follower of God. To those I have two questions. Was God there? Could he have stopped it? Did he choose not to?

At the same time, there are some that have said that he mentioned the Mayan "end of the world". These myths have got to go in our society. They are the root of more pain....MUCH more pain.... than they are worth.

This is an example of a person using a gun. 15+ years ago Timothy McVeigh loaded a van with fertilizer and diesel fuel and killed a daycare full of children in the Federal building in Oklahoma. There is no end to ways that these morons can gain attention. If you REALLY want to stop it. QUIT putting it on television 24 hours a day. I know that will never happen but these are people looking to end their lives in a flash of glory. You can not EVER legislate a solution to that. Sadly.

People on here know my feelings about Obama....I am no fan of his but to question him crying when talking about this is utter assholishness.

Posted on: 12/15/2012 10:24 pm

Account_Deleted
Jude forgive me.

But you all just need to shut the **** up!

20 KIDS! are dead.

And here you guys are showing your respect for them by playing politics with there story.

Hell at least let them be in the ground before both sides start using there deaths to justifies your political passions.

Posted on: 12/15/2012 10:24 pm

Pitt Hater
From Columbus, OH (via Belpre, OH)
The kid's parents were divorced. Let's ban divorce

In all seriousness. I went to Jr. High with a good kid named David, a boy scout, as a matter of fact. David was having some problems at home and took his own life with a shotgun. I don't know what it is that makes someone want to kill a classroom full of small children but in David's case the pain at home became too much. The Connecticut shooter shot his mother in the face. There is no better evidence of aggravation and pain than shooting someone in the face. This guy wanted to inflict as much pain as possible before taking his own life. Did he blame his mother for the divorce? He wanted to inflict the kind of pain he was feeling. We live in a world where many parents don't have time for their kids. Jobs are more important than families. The effects of stress and marital problems are magnified in children. I don't believe Adam Lanza was always a monster even though that's the way he'll always be remembered and I don't believe banning guns will solve any problems.
I won't play amateur shrink, but remember to make time for you'r kids, give them a safe place to call home, show them love. If you can't do those things and cannot be committed to your family, then don't bring a child into this world

Posted on: 12/15/2012 10:43 pm

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 287 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved