We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Archery Season
Pitt Hater
From Bradley, WV
Good luck to everyone who picks up the stick and string in hopes of bagging that trophy buck! Be safe out there and go get 'em!

Posted on: 9/28/2013 7:39 am

Re: Archery Season
Gettin' Schmitty
From Madison, AL
I'll be up near end of Oct to give it a try.

Posted on: 9/28/2013 7:49 am

Here for the Beer
From Canton Ohio via Wellsburg WV
Saw 10 deer this morning in Ohio, 3 bucks the largest a 10 scoring around 125. Hopefully a nice one comes through this weekend.

Posted on: 9/28/2013 9:24 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Here for the Beer
From Canton Ohio via Wellsburg WV
Saw 10 deer this morning in Ohio, 3 bucks the largest a 10 scoring around 125. Hopefully a nice one comes through this weekend.

Posted on: 9/28/2013 9:24 am

Pitt Hater
From Parkersburg,WV
Had a coyote in bow range and got busted trying to draw on him. A bout 25 minutes later a doe came by with a nice 120+ inch 8 point trailing. She got in behind me and ruined any chance I had a shot on him. Damn shame too, I had him a 15 yds. slightly quartering away. I also saw a nice 1 1/2 year old 8 point along the road head to my stand.

Posted on: 9/28/2013 6:16 pm

Pitt Hater
From Bradley, WV
He'll be back DonKeebals, she won't travel far and he'll stick with her till she breeds.

Posted on: 9/29/2013 9:10 am

Pitt Hater
From Bradley, WV
Got a bear that's been hanging around. A buddys son is gonna come have a crack at him this Saturday.

Posted on: 10/10/2013 6:51 pm

Pitt Hater
From Parkersburg,WV
Quote:

soundman wrote:
He'll be back DonKeebals, she won't travel far and he'll stick with her till she breeds.

Yep, he was back yesterday and 7:30 am by himself. Just as he was about to enter my shooting lane he veered right and went down hill. I grunted and stopped him but couldn't pull him back into range.

Posted on: 10/13/2013 7:07 am

Pitt Hater
From Bradley, WV
Hang in there Don, you'll get him. I get to hunt my first full day tomorrow, sunrise to sunset.

Posted on: 10/14/2013 6:52 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Madison, AL
Quote:

Proud2BanEer wrote:

Well, I made it up and had a great time. AND, put a little meat in the freezer.

Open in new window

Posted on: 10/29/2013 9:25 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Robertsdale,Al via parkersburg
I cant tell if thats a doe or a WV 11 point ?...good job
I`m headed to Madison ,FL Nov 24 -Dec 1st.

Posted on: 10/29/2013 9:36 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Madison, AL
Just a doe south! Good luck on your trip.

Posted on: 10/29/2013 9:39 pm

Pitt Hater
From Parkersburg,WV
Quote:

Proud2BanEer wrote:
Quote:

Proud2BanEer wrote:

Well, I made it up and had a great time. AND, put a little meat in the freezer.

Open in new window

Nice!!

Posted on: 10/30/2013 6:24 am

Pitt Hater
From Parkersburg,WV
We have been seeing extraordinarily large amounts of deer out in the open midday the past two weeks. Last Friday for instance, we saw 46 deer along Rt. 31 in Ritchie County at 2:30 in the afternoon including 4 bucks one being a dandy 8 point. The Friday before that it was 34 deer including 2 bucks sparring in a field. This has coincided with seeing practically nothing in the woods. This past Saturday I saw 4 deer on the ride to my stand at 3 in the afternoon including a big 9 point feeding next to a gas well. I know that in our area there was near zero oak mast this year so I believe that lack of food is driving them out of the woods.

Posted on: 10/30/2013 6:33 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Madison, AL
Low mast does make them come out more. They can be hard to get while holed up when mast is good.

Posted on: 10/30/2013 11:30 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
I have the next two days here in Virginia. There are no acorns here at all. We've been out most every weekend since early archery for antler-less only opened over Labor Day. We hunt in Fairfax County and are very fortunate to have access to fabulous private land. You would be amazed at the quality of the bucks here. Two years ago I stuck two, exactly two weeks apart. One is a main frame 8 at 19" wide with very heavy mass. Netted out at 112-1/8, but the deer was 198 pounds dressed. The second is a beautiful 11, with split brows, G2's are 13" tall, G3's are 11". He was also over 200 lbs. on the hoof. I'm after his brother this year and two Saturdays I had him at 25 yards, broadside. Too bad, I had my bow in a bad spot and he spotted me. There was nothing I could do and we stared each other down for 15 minutes. He finally settled down and began to walk off. But a cow horn buck with him spotted at that moment and I was stuck with another stare down. I have dozens of pictures of both deer, and many others too. We have a 30" wide 10. If you guys can tell me how to post a photo here, I'll share him. He's strictly nocturnal. I'm the only one in our group that's ever seen him in daylight... on a Sunday.

Posted on: 10/31/2013 7:17 pm

From Charlottesville, Virginia
Quote:

wvu-willy wrote:
I have the next two days here in Virginia. There are no acorns here at all. We've been out most every weekend since early archery for antler-less only opened over Labor Day. We hunt in Fairfax County and are very fortunate to have access to fabulous private land. You would be amazed at the quality of the bucks here. Two years ago I stuck two, exactly two weeks apart. One is a main frame 8 at 19" wide with very heavy mass. Netted out at 112-1/8, but the deer was 198 pounds dressed. The second is a beautiful 11, with split brows, G2's are 13" tall, G3's are 11". He was also over 200 lbs. on the hoof. I'm after his brother this year and two Saturdays I had him at 25 yards, broadside. Too bad, I had my bow in a bad spot and he spotted me. There was nothing I could do and we stared each other down for 15 minutes. He finally settled down and began to walk off. But a cow horn buck with him spotted at that moment and I was stuck with another stare down. I have dozens of pictures of both deer, and many others too. We have a 30" wide 10. If you guys can tell me how to post a photo here, I'll share him. He's strictly nocturnal. I'm the only one in our group that's ever seen him in daylight... on a Sunday.

They still have land in Fairfax?

Posted on: 10/31/2013 7:24 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Yeah man. There is actually a DMAP program that has allowed groups of 10 to access several of the public parks here. Season in Fairfax this year started on Labor Day weekend, Bucks came in two weeks ago and go out just after New Years. Then antler-less only until end of April. We stop hunting just after the bucks shed. Sure don't want to stick a trophy that has already shed. Big deer problem here in Fairfax, way too many cases of Lyme disease. There really are still some very impressive tracts of private land still in Fairfax County. I'm struggling on how to upload a photo. The 10 I mentioned will stun you.

Posted on: 10/31/2013 7:35 pm

From Charlottesville, Virginia
Quote:

wvu-willy wrote:
Yeah man. There is actually a DMAP program that has allowed groups of 10 to access several of the public parks here. Season in Fairfax this year started on Labor Day weekend, Bucks came in two weeks ago and go out just after New Years. Then antler-less only until end of April. We stop hunting just after the bucks shed. Sure don't want to stick a trophy that has already shed. Big deer problem here in Fairfax, way too many cases of Lyme disease. There really are still some very impressive tracts of private land still in Fairfax County. I'm struggling on how to upload a photo. The 10 I mentioned will stun you.

I grew up in Fairfax City before they put a McMansion in every cranny of land. We used to ride our dirt bikes through the forest that is now GMU. Not much land left in that area, near WTW and Robinson High Schools.

Posted on: 10/31/2013 7:47 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Okay, that's cool. Sounds like you don't miss it much. But what you might find hard to believe... It just doesn't take much in the way of an expansive forest to support the deer population. You're right. There's been a ton of mansion-ization in Fairfax County. The zoning for most of it, where there has been expansive tracts, is no less than five acres per home. The Clifton area is the perfect example. There remains enormous tracts of forested land with a house every five acres or so. That has created thousands of acres of "edge" where there was less "edge" before. The deer population exploded. Now, they are their own worst enemy. They proliferate along the edge. All they need for survival is mast, water and cover. It's everywhere. And, they benefit tremendously from the yards of the rich and famous. It's impossible to have a landscaped and flowered yard. They eat everything in sight. More so this year than most because of the acorn crop failure. Unfortunately, there are so many of them that they are destroying the natural canopy. There is a noticeable browse line in much of the forested land. No undergrowth of hardwoods. The only hardwood tree that proliferates is Beech. So they are destroying the oaks, poplars and maples and ultimately converting the entire forest to a beech forest in which they can't survive. And, they're causing a great deal of erosion in the process. The tract I have access to is in Clifton, very near Bull Run. I only have access to about 65 acres. But the tract, where that 65 is, is all owned by the oldest existing family in Fairfax County. And they have 1200 acres! Eventually, I will gain access to a great deal more of it, but I'm not in a hurry for it. The 65 is deer hunting nirvana. Best I've ever had.

Posted on: 11/1/2013 5:16 am

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved