We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 ... 39 40 41 (42) 43 »

Re: WVU BBall Thread for Things that Don't Need their Own Thread
Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
So if marshal wins tonight they are in, right? Wouldn't that be something to play them first or second round? Better yet, an all West Virginia national championship

Posted on: 3/11 4:12 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Pittsburgh paper -- Huggins belongs in hall of fame
Pitt Hater
From austin, tx

Posted on: 3/16 8:44 am

Re: Pittsburgh paper -- Huggins belongs in hall of fame
WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV

Posted on: 3/18 8:07 pm

Ingest Feces Pittsburgh!

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV

Posted on: 3/20 12:21 pm

Pitt Hater
From Halifax, VA
Nice post.

Posted on: 3/20 12:53 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
KenPom released a wayyyyyy too early 2018 top ten.

But WVU is No. 10 and is the only Big 12 squad listed.

Posted on: 3/22 11:37 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Madison, AL
From the Pitt crowd. Some wish they had Huggy!

https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/t ... -give-my-left-arm.110016/

Posted on: 3/22 3:19 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
Here is a good read on Ron Everhart.

Posted on: 3/23 8:29 am

Pitt Hater
From Philadelphia/West Virgina
A hole Dan Dakich is currently on Sirius radio - less than 3 hours before our sweet sixteen run - he introduced himself with his coach of WVU for one week story... He really trashed the then President and that whole sordid ordeal. Guy has no grace.

Posted on: 3/23 3:47 pm

Suspected Punter
From New Wilmington, PA
SPITT BB is a mess. Would we be interested in any of their transfers? In particular, Cam Johnson. Graduate transfer with 2 years to play. It would be nice to go to their house next year ans stomp them with one of their own. 6'8" and 40 % 3 point shooter.

Posted on: 4/7 10:42 am

Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
Rumor is that Kentucky will be coming to Morgantown for the Big 12/SEC challenge next year.

Posted on: 4/25 1:26 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Originally, Lester WV, now, Richmond, "East" Virginia
Quote:

GONZOeer wrote:
Rumor is that Kentucky will be coming to Morgantown for the Big 12/SEC challenge next year.

If true, that would be AWESOME!

Posted on: 4/25 4:23 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Buffalo, New York

Posted on: 4/25 9:08 pm

Quote:

GONZOeer wrote:

Posted on: 4/26 7:09 am

Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
So what games do we know WVU will be playing out of conference next season?

What I have heard:
NJIT
American
Texas A&M (in Germany)
@ Pitt
Maybe Kentucky in the Coliseum

Mountaineers also have the early season tournament that could include: Long Beach State, Marist, Missouri, Nebraska, Oregon State, St. John's, Central Florida.

Is Virginia going to make a trip to Morgantown after we played at their place last season?

Posted on: 4/26 7:56 am

NCAA trying to delete Press Virginia

http://www.smokingmusket.com/2017/5/1 ... -west-virginia-basketball

"Adjust the officiating guidance in relation to the cylinder rule. If a defensive player straddles an offensive player’s leg in a way that prohibits him from making a normal basketball move — which now includes pivoting — contact that creates a common foul will be called on the defensive player.”

You know now every team we play will coach their players to step between our defenders' legs in a trap.

Posted on: 5/17 7:18 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
WTF???

What will next year's rule change be? If your jersey says WEST and VIRGINIA you automatically lose? Unbelievable.

Now you can't play defense the way you've learned to play defense sincelearning the game.

Posted on: 5/17 10:50 am

Re: NCAA trying to delete Press Virginia
Makin' it Rain
From Canonsburg, PA
Quote:

WVisHome wrote:

"Adjust the officiating guidance in relation to the cylinder rule. If a defensive player straddles an offensive player’s leg in a way that prohibits him from making a normal basketball move — which now includes pivoting — contact that creates a common foul will be called on the defensive player.”

You know now every team we play will coach their players to step between our defenders' legs in a trap.

This is not what it means. This is difficult to explain but I will try. What they are changing is the understanding at the college level is the idea that a player has an imaginary cylinder which encompasses him and extends to the ceiling. If a defensive player were to encroach in that cylinder the resulting contact would be the fault of the defensive player.

The rule hasn't been changed so I will give an example of what they are trying to get rid of.

The player has a ball and hasn't dribbled. The defender goes up just short of contact with a player. This is legal. The offensive player leans back or pivots keeping a foot on the floor but backwards at an angle resulting in the pivot foot leg being at an angle to the floor. The defender can then slide forward straddling this pivot leg and provided no contact is made can then establish legal guarding position on the offensive player's foot on the backside of the defender and the offensive player's body on the front side of the defenders body. If the offensive player then moves forward to stand up with sufficient force to displace the defensive player the resulting call would be an offensive foul if the contact resulted in advantage/disadvantage or incidental contact if no displacement or adv/disadv occurred.

The rules committee changed the rules in college recently to add the concept of a cylinder around the player. This reference in this article is not really a rule change but an advisement to the official how to call this particular play. The rules, I don't think have actually changed. The rules committee has seen that the officials are not calling the plays as the rule is written and intended.

If the defensive player already HAS a legal guarding position he or she would be legal and any encroachment would be the result of the offensive player.

The whole idea was to allow the offensive player the ability to start his or her offensive play. The goal being to try to allow for better defense/offense balance.

Posted on: 5/17 3:37 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Mobile, AL
Either way expect more fouls on WVU this year. The refs are inconsistent as is when interpreting rules. I think it only makes it easier to call a defensive foul that isn't there.

Posted on: 5/18 5:17 am

Re: NCAA trying to delete Press Virginia

Quote:

brobison wrote:
Quote:

WVisHome wrote:

This is not what it means. This is difficult to explain but I will try. What they are changing is the understanding at the college level is the idea that a player has an imaginary cylinder which encompasses him and extends to the ceiling. If a defensive player were to encroach in that cylinder the resulting contact would be the fault of the defensive player.

The rule hasn't been changed so I will give an example of what they are trying to get rid of.

The player has a ball and hasn't dribbled. The defender goes up just short of contact with a player. This is legal. The offensive player leans back or pivots keeping a foot on the floor but backwards at an angle resulting in the pivot foot leg being at an angle to the floor. The defender can then slide forward straddling this pivot leg and provided no contact is made can then establish legal guarding position on the offensive player's foot on the backside of the defender and the offensive player's body on the front side of the defenders body. If the offensive player then moves forward to stand up with sufficient force to displace the defensive player the resulting call would be an offensive foul if the contact resulted in advantage/disadvantage or incidental contact if no displacement or adv/disadv occurred.

The rules committee changed the rules in college recently to add the concept of a cylinder around the player. This reference in this article is not really a rule change but an advisement to the official how to call this particular play. The rules, I don't think have actually changed. The rules committee has seen that the officials are not calling the plays as the rule is written and intended.

If the defensive player already HAS a legal guarding position he or she would be legal and any encroachment would be the result of the offensive player.

The whole idea was to allow the offensive player the ability to start his or her offensive play. The goal being to try to allow for better defense/offense balance.

I read it to mean that "The defender can then slide forward straddling this pivot leg" is indeed NOT a legal guarding position. It seems pretty clear to me.

If a defensive player straddles an offensive player’s leg in a way that prohibits him from making a normal basketball move — which now includes pivoting — contact that creates a common foul will be called on the defensive player.

I agree, the rule hasn't changed but they're clarifying what the "cylinder" is. It sounds like they're saying the imaginary cylinder encompasses all vertical space from any part of the offensive player, including an extended leg.

Posted on: 5/18 8:49 am

« 1 ... 39 40 41 (42) 43 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved