We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

(1) 2 3 »

Catch-all miscellaneous "WVU/WV" stuff

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
Just saw this and didn't know where it would fit...and I'm sure you all occasionally come across things like this, so I created a new thread where we can post random stuff that is linked to our school and state.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2015 ... om-deep-space.-What-is-it

Using new software that can quickly sort through reams of data, astronomers recently uncovered more clues about the mysterious origin of Fast Radio Bursts, or quick pulses of radio waves that seem to come from beyond our galaxy.

Though the recent findings from dozens of scientists from the US, Canada, China, India, and South Africa might disappoint those waiting for news of alien transmissions, for now they offer a more practical explanation for these extragalactic radio flashes that have baffled scientists since they were first discovered nearly a decade ago.

Astronomers now believe the radio bursts originated from an exploding star, or from inside the gas cloud surrounding a growing star, some six billion light years from Earth. This possible emission is the 16th such burst that scientists have observed, with the first one discovered only in 2007 by West Virginia University astronomer Duncan Lorimer.

Scientists believe there could be thousands of them a day, but are still trying to determine how and where they’re produced. Some theories have included, according to National Geographic, that they come from evaporating black holes, colliding dense objects or flaring dead stars.

“If these things are really coming from outside of our galaxy, they’re just mind boggling – we just don’t understand them,” astronomer Scott Ransom of the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in West Virginia told National Geographic.

But we understand them a little better now. These short flashes of radio waves likely originated inside a heavily magnetized region of space, say researchers in a paper published on December 2 in the journal Nature, and traveled through two gas clouds before being recorded by the West Virginia observatory’s Green Bank Telescope.

Posted on: 12/4/2015 10:23 am

WVU astrophysicist McWilliams helps prove Einstein's last unproven theory, Gravitational Waves exist

http://wvutoday.wvu.edu/n/2016/02/11/ ... ter-einstein-s-prediction

For the first time, scientists have observed ripples in the fabric of spacetime called gravitational waves, arriving at the earth from a cataclysmic event in the distant universe. This confirms a major prediction of Albert Einstein’s 1915 general theory of relativity and opens an unprecedented new window onto the cosmos.

West Virginia University astrophysicist Sean McWilliams is a member of the research team that detected the gravitational waves. His work focused on simulating and modeling the gravitational-wave emission in order to detect the incoming signals and infer details about their source.

“This is the culmination of literally hundreds of scientists’ work to build such an incredibly sensitive detector and to predict the details of potential signals with what has turned out to be remarkable accuracy,” McWilliams said.

“When I first joined the collaboration, we did not know what the strongest part of the signal should look like, and today, the observation agrees beautifully with the models that myself and other scientists have developed, so this detection represents both an incredible experimental achievement as well as a tremendous validation of ongoing efforts in theoretical gravitational-wave astronomy.”

McWilliams was part of a team of collaborators who performed some of the earliest supercomputer simulations of merging black holes. Since then he has worked extensively on simulating and developing models for these signals, which LIGO scientists expect to detect from across the universe.

I guess they've known about this for a while...since they launched an entire new department dedicated to it last summer.

http://wvutoday.wvu.edu/n/2016/02/01/ ... itational-waves-cosmology

http://gwac.wvu.edu/

Posted on: 2/11/2016 12:54 pm

Re: Catch-all miscellaneous "WVU/WV" stuff

From Charlottesville, Virginia
I don't even know wtf that guy is talking about.

Posted on: 2/11/2016 1:04 pm

WVU astrophysicist McWilliams helps prove Einstein's last unproven theory, Gravitational Waves exist

Quote:

Eers88 wrote:

The gist is basically: If you roll a ball across a waterbed, it creates ripples on the surface (like a boat moving through water creates a wake). As an object with mass moves through the fabric of space-time, it too causes ripples (of gravity).

They're saying this is the first time they've been able to actually detect one of these "ripples" (a infinitesimally small change in gravity) by splitting a light source....sending it in two different directions over a long distance, then bringing the two beams back together to compare the phase difference in the light waves.

EDIT: Found the actual description of the experiment...

Sensitivity is crucial because the stretching and squeezing of space-time by these gravitational waves is incredibly tiny. Essentially, LIGO detects waves that stretch and squeeze the entire Milky Way galaxy "by the width of your thumb," Hanna said.

Each LIGO has two giant perpendicular arms more than 2 miles long. A laser beam is split and travels both arms, bouncing off mirrors to return to the arms' intersection. Gravitational waves stretch the arms to create an incredibly tiny mismatch — smaller than a subatomic particle — in the beams' locations. That mismatch is what LIGO detects.

My bad, they're not measuring phase difference, they're looking for a positional difference at the return.

Posted on: 2/11/2016 1:08 pm

From Charlottesville, Virginia
Quote:

WVisHome wrote:
Quote:

Eers88 wrote:

The gist is basically: If you roll a ball across a waterbed, it creates ripples on the surface. As an object with mass moves through the fabric of space-time, it too causes ripples (of gravity).

All I heard was "whoosh" right above my head.

Posted on: 2/11/2016 1:09 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Quote:

Eers88 wrote:
Quote:

WVisHome wrote:
Quote:

Eers88 wrote:

The gist is basically: If you roll a ball across a waterbed, it creates ripples on the surface. As an object with mass moves through the fabric of space-time, it too causes ripples (of gravity).

All I heard was "whoosh" right above my head.

And the "whoosh" caused some ripples. I think

Posted on: 2/11/2016 7:04 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Makin' it Rain
From Here
... ripples all the way to Chapel Hill where it became a phony class for athletes.

Posted on: 2/12/2016 12:22 pm

Scientists discover, understand and inform.

Environmentalists preach.

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Fucking brilliant

Posted on: 2/12/2016 12:43 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Eastern WV
Open in new window

Posted on: 2/12/2016 6:08 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Here
Seriously Home, that is some cool stuff. Thanks.

Posted on: 2/12/2016 7:19 pm

Scientists discover, understand and inform.

Environmentalists preach.

Grant Ave. Warrior
From spencer
Uuhhhhhh

FOOTBALL!

Rahhh. (Smashes something)

Posted on: 2/12/2016 7:51 pm

Pitt Hater
From Spartanburg, SC via Boone County WV
Quote:

eer44fan wrote:
Seriously Home, that is some cool stuff. Thanks.

+100

I love that a (non-\AAU) SCHOOL like WVU, who is most definitely beneath the likes of the great minds at #EatShitPitt, the fake class academic behemoth UNC, Cheater cheater Orangemen eater, Pedifile State University, and the scholars, pimps, n hoes at the great (in my book) institution that has more hot prostitutes on their payroll than Rhodes Scolars collectively. Loserville.

But I digress. It's obvious were just ignorant Hicks who, I guess, just stumbled into this discovery. Oh wait, I forget, us Hicks were pioneers in overcoming a BILLION $ INDUSTRY in revolutionizing the way we now view concussions and the sad damage they cause.. just a reminder, the gentleman ended up at wvu because Pittsburgh University ran him out of town in disgrace. Funny how karma will come back and bite you in the eatshitPitt.
And I guess I did forget and maybe everybody else in ACC and B1G country did to. Gueß they t they all overlooked that WVU was instrumental in proving and holding the German auto makers accountable for lying about their emissions and I don't see any reference to any of those above stated AAU schools for any of this research.

So maybe I'm just a dumb hick from West Virginia that doesn't know any better, or better yet I've got my head screwed on straight and I can see just who the dumbasses are and who's putting a foot forward in this world right now. WVU in the last 2 years has done more for this country and pushing it forward scientifically, with dignity, and the one thing all West Virginians have in common. Hard work, dedication, and the love for this great state and its accomplishments.

These are not opinions, they are facts. So remember next time someone calls you an ignorant hillbilly, just remember how many of us ignorant hillbillies are changing the world, while these Blue Bloods sit on their ass and try to find ways to gain a competitive advantage at any cost, including but not limited to hiring prostitutes, giving away free degrees or fake classes, and running away. God has decreed that at WVU, WE get results. COUCHERS, YOUNG & OLD ALIKE, just ponder that next time you're in the bathroom on the john and see if it doesn't piss you off about how you're looked upon by these pompous ass blowhards who are doing nothing to contribute, while we're changing the world one WVU graduate at a time. We love you Mountaineer nation. And use your head. WVU isn't perfect, but we are breaking extremely relevant national stories involving WVU academic research faster than Narduzzi is running
From playing WVU.

Posted on: 2/13/2016 1:33 pm

Pitt Hater
From Killadelphia
http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/ ... 8/west-virginia/86050588/

Something I stubled across and found an interesting, or at least entertaining read. Some guy from USA Today is taking a rv trip through the lower 48 states and writing reviews of each state as he goes. Only thing that confuses me is he said they entered from Kentucky but says they stayed at Coopers Rock first. That doesn't make any sense to me because Kentucky and Cooper's Rock are nowhere close to each other and then they traveled all the way south again to Lewisburg. I guess if they are just trying to see as much of every state as possible the zig zagging path would accomplish that, but just seems much more efficient to hit Lewisburg first, then travel north to Morgantown.

Posted on: 6/18/2016 5:24 pm

Pitt Hater
From Athens GA
Quote:

Now I am going to have to look up Breece D’J Pancake .

I would have said "October Sky".

Posted on: 6/18/2016 9:02 pm

Pitt Hater
From Killadelphia
Yeah now I feel bad for not knowing who that guy is either, especially after all the crazy reviews and comparisons he was referencing in the article.

Posted on: 6/18/2016 11:03 pm

Pitt Hater
From Madhattan
Quote:

juvi1624 wrote:
Yeah now I feel bad for not knowing who that guy is either, especially after all the crazy reviews and comparisons he was referencing in the article.

Great book. Highly recommended. There's a writer working now named Ann Pancake. I assume they are related somehow. Her books are also great.

Posted on: 6/20/2016 7:08 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Pruntytown, WV
Hang 'em high and proud today folks! Open in new window

Open in new window

Posted on: 6/20/2016 7:17 am

"I'd Rather Have A Bottle In Front Of Me Than A Frontal Lobotomy."

Grant Ave. Warrior
Here's info on Ann Pancake. WVU grad from Romney, WV....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Pancake

Posted on: 6/20/2016 7:25 am

Gettin' Schmitty
Quote:

hill_William wrote:
Quote:

juvi1624 wrote:

Great book. Highly recommended. There's a writer working now named Ann Pancake. I assume they are related somehow. Her books are also great.

Different Pancake family...D'J was from Charleston area and Ann was born and raised in Romney, eastern panhandle.

Posted on: 6/20/2016 8:27 am

Makin' it Rain
From Eastern WV
Quote:

titotostito wrote:
Hang 'em high and proud today folks! Open in new window

Mine is hanging. Wanna see pics?

Also, happy summer solstice. The longest day of the year. I hear it's even longer if you're married.

Posted on: 6/20/2016 10:11 am

(1) 2 3 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved