We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: Rape U back in the news
Party Machine
Or that they will probably get the Penn State treatment and able to transfer without having to sit out for a year.

Posted on: 5/27/2016 12:27 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Pitt Hater
From Eastern WV
Quote:

sg44gold wrote:
Baylor will be able to attract a GREAT coach.

They built it, and THEY will come.

That new stadium is a freaking Taj Mahal.

I agree. They are willing to spend money to win so I don't think they will be down long unless the NCAA lays a smackdown on them.

Posted on: 5/27/2016 12:58 pm

Pitt Hater
From Frederick, MD
Maybe we can get one of their QBs. They always seem to have 3 or 4 waiting on the bench that are better than anyone we have.

Posted on: 5/27/2016 3:52 pm

Obama: We will put a man in your daughter's restroom.

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

TheMac wrote:
Quote:

wvafaninSC wrote:
I feel bad for the recruits that signed with BU and for that matter the current players as well. Who knows how many would have bailed if Briles was gone a few months ago? Who knows how many would bail if the stupid NCAA didn't make it so hard for them to do so?
Just another example of how the NCAA and its moronic rules are ruining the lives of the "student"/atheletes they falsely claim to be protecting.

I believe THEY CHOSE to attend the school, correct? Then THEY CHOSE to stay at the school while multiple rapes allegedly occurred, correct? Then they even chose to stay after seeing the disciplinary action, or for that matter, lack there of, correct?

we live in such a pussified world, where we never have to take responsibilities for our own decisions. There will always be people who "feel bad" for us, and look to throw blame somewhere else (multiple rapes over multiple years, but it's the NCAA who is ruining the lives of student athletes???)

grow a pair wvafaninSC!

there's a lot worse things that can happen in life than getting a free education and not being able to play college football for art briles...

I dont like the guy but hes got a point!

Posted on: 5/27/2016 4:59 pm

Pitt Hater
From Frederick, MD
^^^^ I agree also. Especially the new recruits. They and their families just got a valuable lesson in due diligence (or lack thereof).

Posted on: 5/27/2016 5:50 pm

Obama: We will put a man in your daughter's restroom.

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
The theme of this thread seems to have become that every player on the team is guilty by association because a handful of players in individual settings in apartments or dorms or wherever raped women and the program covered things up.

I hope you guys who think this way are not ever on a jury.

Posted on: 5/28/2016 10:54 am

Ingest Feces Pittsburgh!

Pitt Hater
From columbia,sc
What I would have liked to have seen is the available player/recruit pool increase in size which could benefit us in the long run, except for idiotic NCAA rules that prevent these guys from leaving a sinking ship.

Posted on: 5/28/2016 4:50 pm

From Charlottesville, Virginia
Quote:

wvmtneer wrote:
The theme of this thread seems to have become that every player on the team is guilty by association because a handful of players in individual settings in apartments or dorms or wherever raped women and the program covered things up.

Nobody said anything like that. People have said the Baylor players have some responsibility for their own predicament--not being able to play for the coach of their choosing--because it was well known that their was a systemic problem with Baylor's football team. Briles' firing isn't out of nowhere. Whether you agree or disagree with that, it isn't the same as saying they are all rapists. Not even close. And I sure as **** wouldn't put the remaining Baylor players atop the victim's list. It seems just a slight bit insensitive to bemoan the plight of the remaining Baylor players in light of the fact that women were being sexually assaulted. It must suck to be stuck with a free education playing your dream sport in the Big 12 on TV and in front of tens of thousands of people every week, or to have to red shirt one year if you transfer. How horrific.

Posted on: 5/28/2016 5:14 pm

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
Quote:

Eers88 wrote:
Quote:

wvmtneer wrote:

Nobody said anything like that. People have said the Baylor players have some responsibility for their own predicament--not being able to play for the coach of their choosing--because it was well known that their was a systemic problem with Baylor's football team. Briles' firing isn't out of nowhere. Whether you agree or disagree with that, it isn't the same as saying they are all rapists. Not even close. And I sure as **** wouldn't put the remaining Baylor players atop the victim's list. It seems just a slight bit insensitive to bemoan the plight of the remaining Baylor players in light of the fact that women were being sexually assaulted. It must suck to be stuck with a free education playing your dream sport in the Big 12 on TV and in front of tens of thousands of people every week, or to have to red shirt one year if you transfer. How horrific.

Well I didnt think anyone accused these other kids of being rapists because they are on the team too. I'm neither retarded nor insane so I dont think that. It's a guilt by association that seems to be popping up in this thread. See MAC and 83 posts just above, for instance.

The idea being that they have unclean hands by virtue of joining the team or being on the same team so dont feel sorry for them or try and assist them? These 18 year old kids should have known better? Dont give them a hand if they want to get away from this shambolic program now that the truth is there for all to see. Let them get screwed a little because their education is free and they get to play ball. I dont get that thinking at all. It seems knee jerk to me. Assume all these kids should do rape investigation due diligence when they are in high school. Again, ridiculous thought process to make these blanket assumptions or think they dont deserve decent treatment because they are on scholarship.

Suppose any of these kids are from Texas and dreamed their whole lives of playing for Baylor for one reason or another? Suppose any of them had a dream come true only to have it turn out disgusting? Does nobody have any fucking heart and soul anymore? Broad paint brush strokes. Gross. Punish the guilty and let the innocent get the hell outta there if they want. Make it easy for them to get away from that shitty program, in fact.

Posted on: 5/28/2016 7:35 pm

Ingest Feces Pittsburgh!

Party Machine
From Morgantown
Good post wvmtneer

Posted on: 5/28/2016 7:49 pm

Party Machine
From Barboursville, WV
I agree with you wvmtneer except that I realize that there are some on the team who knew exactly what had happened and who had done what to whom...and were fine with it. They stood idly by and were fine with playing along side these guys and, as long as they were winning games, just kept telling themselves, "it ain't none of my business".

I believe they too should be given the chance to move on to greener pastures....right now. Let the NCAA give blanket clearance to pursue other options, right now. Two weeks and then it is done. Don't allow the guys who stood idly by be allowed to weigh options, apply, wait to see what's going to happen with Baylor and then chart the course that serves them the best. Or in other words, "Give them clearance to transfer for 2 weeks, beginning June 1st...the rest ain't none of our business". I'm sorry for the blind, and naïve innocents who so loved their alma mater that they were shocked and aghast at these latest events...but then again, they get their chance to leave also". Two weeks - beginning in two days - have at it. The NCAA can then announce any and what sanctions on June 15th.

Posted on: 5/28/2016 9:32 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Robertsdale,Al via parkersburg
I don`t agree with anyone, in fact I dont even know whats going on, it`s safer that way.

Posted on: 5/28/2016 9:35 pm

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
I hear what you are saying eers, but I just dont want to assume anything. That the locker room was full of boyscouts or miscreants. I assume a mix. I also dont know that other players knew of the coverups. Did the rapists brag about the rapes to their teammates? Highly unlikely. Did they say, that chick is lying? Did they say it was consensual or they had no sex? Do teammates tend to believe each other over outsiders? Do these man boys even talk about this stuff? Maybe it is a macho culture of screw what you want when you want and nobody would dream anyone had to rape everyone because all the girls give it up for the ballers? I dont know. No one else here does either.

If I thought a teammate or two of mine, out of the 85 scholarship athletes and however many walk ons was a rapist based on info I heard form other people, am I obligated to quit the team? What if a few just beat up their girlfriends? Do I have to quit then? If my coworker murders his neighbor and the company does nothing during the investigation, do I quit my job?

There are so many degrees of conduct and so many degrees of knowledge or lack thereof in a large organization, I just dont know to what degree the non rapist players are complicit. I just dont. Is this Miami in the 80's where coke is being snorted off hookers titties at the nightclubs by the whole team out in the open or is it something altogether different.

I have no earthy idea of the culture among the players at Baylor in terms of the larger group. So, again I say let em go. I dont care about 2 weeks or after finding. But I hear what you are saying. I just think it is interesting how so many assume the worst across the board. Hell I think all the programs have some of this. It is a matter of how much. How pervasive. But Im not willing to assume the worst.

Posted on: 5/28/2016 11:55 pm

Ingest Feces Pittsburgh!

From Charlottesville, Virginia
Quote:

wvmtneer wrote:
Quote:

Eers88 wrote:
Quote:

wvmtneer wrote:

Well I didnt think anyone accused these other kids of being rapists because they are on the team too. I'm neither retarded nor insane so I dont think that. It's a guilt by association that seems to be popping up in this thread. See MAC and 83 posts just above, for instance.

The idea being that they have unclean hands by virtue of joining the team or being on the same team so dont feel sorry for them or try and assist them? These 18 year old kids should have known better? Dont give them a hand if they want to get away from this shambolic program now that the truth is there for all to see. Let them get screwed a little because their education is free and they get to play ball. I dont get that thinking at all. It seems knee jerk to me. Assume all these kids should do rape investigation due diligence when they are in high school. Again, ridiculous thought process to make these blanket assumptions or think they dont deserve decent treatment because they are on scholarship.

Suppose any of these kids are from Texas and dreamed their whole lives of playing for Baylor for one reason or another? Suppose any of them had a dream come true only to have it turn out disgusting? Does nobody have any **** heart and soul anymore? Broad paint brush strokes. Gross. Punish the guilty and let the innocent get the hell outta there if they want. Make it easy for them to get away from that shitty program, in fact.

That is a nice hypothetical, but it doesn't seem realistic to me. Again, I really don't feel sorry for a college football player who must red shirt a year to transfer. There are other issues at play. The solution to a problem caused by mollycoddling players is not to mollycoddle other players. If you think that makes me heartless, so be it. College football is big business, and big business requires big boy pants. They need to suck it up and make the most of it like everyone else. Why do the remaining players get an exemption from the transfer rule? Because their coach was dismissed due to a systemic behavioral problem with the team? How does that make sense? Why does that deserve special treatment? What if Art Briles had just been hired away by a different school? Should Baylor players be permitted to leave Baylor right away because they don't get to play for him any more? Players commit to a program, not a coach. Coaches come and go.

Again, it seems insensitive to me to be going on about the players as if they are victims in light of the fact that there are actual victims.

Posted on: 5/29/2016 7:17 am

Party Machine
From Barboursville, WV
Very true wvmtneer. Baylor is a Christian school and while I realize that not everyone buys into that whole concept, I am sure they have to be exposed to some of those fundamentalist beliefs while there. I wouldn't expect them to quit...but I would expect them to be disturbed by all of it and talk to coaches and GA's about it. That makes the failure of leadership more deplorable. This is effectively what gets many of those players lumped in with the ones doing the crimes - a lack of action by the ones in position to do something.

I agree with Eers88 in that if anyone "benefits" from this situation, it should be the victims who have been ignored or worse, called liars, asked to leave the University, had scholarships taken away (in order to get them to leave) and the like. Starr staying on as Chancelor and as the University legal rep for "religious freedoms" demonstrates that they still "do not get it". I just don't see how the victims can get any satisfaction from all of this other than monetarily from the University. Money is fine but it doesn't cancel out what was done to them.

Is it just me or does it seem like I think worse of the players who spoke out defending Briles - loyalty, I understand, but I sensed quite a bit of self-serving outrage out there amongst star offensive players. Hopefully, there are some of the quiet ones who are happy that some of this stuff is being stopped.

Posted on: 5/29/2016 4:03 pm

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
Fan, I haven't followed the quotes of the kids so I haven't seen them defending Briles. It seems misguided or misinformed for them to do so, but these kids love their coach I'm sure. And I think it shows the varying degrees of knowledge held by the players about the whole thing. When I was 20, I was a pretty solid numb nuts with a myopic view of things involving ME, the most important person in the room.

Today, I absolutely think the rape victims are the first and most important victims here. The other kids and their families are collateral damage. Unintended and/or unforeseen lesser victims of the situation--the non rapist players.

The only reason we are talking about them at all is because this is a sports message board. If this was a rape message board we wouldn't even be talking about them. So in the obvious scheme of things their plight is minimal compared to the rape victims' plight. But I'm assuming we are talking about these players because they play in our league, what happens with them could impact WVU and we are here to discuss sports primarily.

Posted on: 5/29/2016 5:58 pm

Ingest Feces Pittsburgh!

Full Circle...
Grant Ave. Warrior
From nj - wv - ca
Baylor just hired Jim Grobe as their interim head coach.

For those that don't know Jim Grobe, he's a guy that many, many wvu fans were clamoring for as our head coach after the rich rod era, AND stew era. Based solely on the fact he was born in west virginia, which we all know means you're better than everybody else, he was paraded on this site like he was a great coach, even though his career 110-115-1 record screamed mediocrity.

Him becoming our head coach never came to fruition, but he still left his mark on the wvu football program, for it was on Jim Grobe's recommendation that Stew hired Grobe protege...Jeff Mullen, and we all know how that story ended.

I look forward to taking Baylor to the woodshed for as long as this bum is their head coach...

Posted on: 5/30/2016 2:56 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
Jim Grobe will be named interim coach at Baylor because who the **** knows.

Posted on: 5/30/2016 2:57 pm

Party Machine
Quote:

GONZOeer wrote:
Jim Grobe will be named interim coach at Baylor because who the **** knows.

Uhh yeah, what the hell is that???

Posted on: 5/30/2016 3:05 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
I cant say that I feel bad for the Baylor player at all. Number one, they arent victims, the women are. And im not saying that anyone is insuating that, but I do see parallels being drawm between Baylor players and PSU players. I dont think a single PSU player had any idea that a former coach was a molestor and current coaches covered it up, no way in hell. Those PSU players were true collatoral damage, while not being victims. I know what locker rooms are like, and i am sure that players on that team knew about what was going on, and certainly know about weekend conquests and probably knew the truth. And they defend Briles and Rapists because they get the bunker/win over anything mentality driven in their heads.

Youre damn right they knew. KD Cannon tweetd about it saying this is a great day in the long run for college football, same with some CB. Cannon is essentially saying several of my teammates were rapists and my coach covered it up so im glad its over. You bet your ass they knew. You could call the players accomplices much more accurately then to call them victims or collatoral damage. F them, i hope they shut down the program and screw the players, the equipment managers, trainers, etc.

Posted on: 5/30/2016 3:53 pm

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved