We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

Jordan McCabe commitment? (2018 PG)

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
I didn't see this anywhere else...?

He committed a while ago...coulda swore I saw it here, but I guess not.

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports-w ... tar-recruit-jordan-mccabe

Once upon a time, West Virginia University’s basketball team had Hot Rod Hundley, who wowed crowds with his dribbling and other-worldly passing.

In 2018, the Mountaineers might return to those days.

On Tuesday, Jordan McCabe, a 5-foot-11, 170-pound point guard from Kaukauna, Wisconsin, committed to play for WVU’s Bob Huggins.

And his style is similar to two former players familiar to the Mountain State and, especially, the Kanawha Valley: Hundley, who hailed from Charleston, and Jason Williams, formerly of Belle.

Some have even nicknamed McCabe “White Chocolate,” just like Williams, who played at Marshall, Florida and in the NBA.

“The most important reason,’’ McCabe said of his early commitment to WVU, “was a Hall of Fame coach like Bob Huggins put so much trust and loyalty — and I live by the words of loyalty.’’

McCabe is rated a four-star player by ESPN analysts and a three-star player by 247Sports, Rivals and Scout. The knock has to be the high school junior’s height, but numerous mixtapes of his play show scoring, crossovers, touch passes, alley-oops, behind-the-back passes, between-the-legs dribbling, wraparounds and step-back baskets.

There is also a demonstration video of McCabe dribbling two basketballs, a la Steph Curry.

On the court, McCabe averaged 25 points for Kaukauna High as a sophomore. He led the team to the WIAA Division 2 state title. In the championship, McCabe had 24 points and six steals as KHS routed No. 1 Waunakee by 91-61. In the semifinals, McCabe scored 31 points, hitting five 3-pointers.

Huggins and primary recruiter Erik Martin landed McCabe despite other offers from DePaul, Minnesota, Missouri and Wisconsin-Green Bay. Wisconsin had not offered.

“A lot of people might say I committed too early,’’ McCabe said. “They say you can wait. But I sat here with a coach like Bob Huggins, plus I fell in love with the fans and the state. I can’t wait to run onto that court for the first time.’’

Posted on: 8/30/2016 1:47 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Jordan McCabe commitment? (2018 PG)
Party Machine
Even though White Chocolate went to Marshall, he was an absolute pleasure to watch, if this kid is anything like that and actually gets to campus, I think that's a great comparison for us.

Posted on: 8/30/2016 6:22 pm

Party Machine
From Northern WV
Looks like he already has great vision. Also looks pretty good at creating his own shot. That's important at 5-11. Looks like a good get.

Posted on: 8/31/2016 1:22 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Originally, Lester WV, now, Richmond, "East" Virginia
McCabe went off in the sectional final for his high school team--34 points, 12 assists and 9 rebounds. His passing is impressive, if not a bit scary. There are a lot of no look passes.

Posted on: 3/7 10:04 am

Pitt Hater
From Indianapolis,IN via Somerset, PA
That's all well and good until he throws a fancy behind the back no look pass into the bleachers and Huggins relegates him to the bench and the treadmill for a few games.

Posted on: 3/7 10:29 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Wow. I remember seeing videos of him years ago. No idea he blossomed into a hell of a basketball player. Hopefully everything goes according to plan

Posted on: 3/7 10:34 am

Pitt Hater
From Frederick, MD
Pretty talented kid. Lots of shake and bake and fancy passes. It will be interesting to see how it all translates against the elite athletes in the B12.
I would redshirt him year 1.

Posted on: 3/7 10:55 am

Obama: We will put a man in your daughter's restroom.

Gettin' Schmitty
Quote:

Meager wrote:
That's all well and good until he throws a fancy behind the back no look pass into the bleachers and Huggins relegates him to the bench and the treadmill for a few games.

Agreed. That is why I said it was a bit scary. It will be interesting to see how Huggins handles these talents (assuming that McCabe honors his verbal commitment and signs in the Fall).

Posted on: 3/7 11:40 am

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
I think he may be ready from day one like Carter and Miles, only redshirt if needed. Plus in 18-19 Carter and Miles will have graduated.

Too far out to tell though, but 18-19 roster of guards could be Bolden, Knapper, Harler(still a question mark, hasn't played enough but the minutes he has gotten, he didn't look to standout., esp. against the weaker teams during OOC play), then McCabe. Hopefully Knapper is the real deal, highlights certainly look good, but all highlights look good. That being said, guards of Bolden, Knapper, and McCabe compared to Carter, Miles, Phillips, is a step down prob.(esp. defensively) Huggins prob, recruits a JUCO too for 18.

Posted on: 3/7 11:43 am

Here for the Beer
From Charlie West
His game reminds me of Jason Williams and he turned out to be pretty good. I still to this day watch old JWill highlights.

Posted on: 3/7 11:46 am

Pitt Hater
From Indianapolis,IN via Somerset, PA
I see visions/nightmares of the old Robbie Benson movie "One-on-One". I hope I'm wrong and that the kid is the real deal, but I'm not holding my breath.

Posted on: 3/7 11:47 am

Suspected Punter
Meager, did you just mention Robbie Benson in a post? That's funny. We must be around the same age. I haven't heard his name mentioned since my kids were little and watching Beauty and the Beast. Hey, I just mentioned Robbie Beason in a post. Robbie Benson is trending.

Posted on: 3/8 12:31 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
Jordan McCabe lights it up in NYC.. The video in the article is worth a watch. I hope Huggins can hold this commit, because he should be turning a lot of heads.

Posted on: 4/23 5:05 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Mobile, AL
I hope Huggs lets him play his style at least a little. Got a little White Chocolate in him

Posted on: 4/23 9:12 pm

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved