We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Skyler Howard

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
Quote:

TheMac wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong...it's "Senior Day" not "Skyler Howard Day", right?

This just goes back to what I was saying in a previous post, he seems to make it about himself and his "chip on his shoulder" a lot.

How many seniors played sparingly and are just happy to be on the team? How many of these guys gave their blood and sweat these last 4-5 years?

Senior day isn't about celebrating them? just another chance for "Skyler and his mom to get booed?"

Give me a break, wvu gave skyler a chance, it wasn't the other way around, he could have been celebrating his senior day on stephen f. austin's field...

To be fair, he did say it was great for the other seniors....for "the guys who feel welcome and feel at home".

Posted on: 11/28/2016 2:18 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Robertsdale,Al via parkersburg
The best recruiters we have are those kids that are sent out with an awesome WVU experience, WE as FANS regardless if you`re alumni or not are a part of that experience.Did you do your JOB ?

Posted on: 11/28/2016 2:55 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Grant Ave. Warrior
I agree with much that has been said on here. I think the boos are not just for him but for some of play calling as well. He has great effort and heart, limitations, obviously knows the offense the best, etc.

The other frustration fans have is not knowing which WVU team will show up each week. The one that falls apart and gets killed by OU? The one that is decent but does everything they can to let the other team stay in the game like BYU and KSU? Or the team that plays up to their potential like Iowa State?

It was nice not to see Holgs throw a tantrum on the sidelines this week. I don't know how that helps anybody. It feels like Holgs is slowly getting better, our talent and depth is improving and we now have a few years of experience in the 3-3-5. Should be quite interesting next year.

Posted on: 11/28/2016 5:33 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Originally, Lester WV, now, Richmond, "East" Virginia
I don't like the booing, and I think that Skyler deserves better recognition from the fan base for his accomplishments. That being said, I really have a problem with what he said. First, he comes across as whiny (and nobody likes a whiner). Second, he comes across as thin-skinned, which is the standard knock on and stereotype of millennials (he is doing other millennials no favor with that statement). And third, it only hurts his teammates and his coaches who remain because he makes the school look like a bad place to play football (which it is not). If he feels that way, it would be best for those he really should care about (his teammates and coaches) to keep that stuff to himself. So, I hope that Dana and Co. sat young Skyler down to help him understand how to better respond, and I hope that he does something of a mea culpa this week. He really should.

Posted on: 11/28/2016 6:05 pm

Party Machine
From Moundsville, Marshall County, WV
Every fanbase likes talent and winners. People still talk about Major, Pat, Hoss, and Bulger. Luck and Geno are talked about to a degree too. We honestly haven't beaten a good team since Skyler has started for us. 0 wins against ranked opponents. Implosions against teams I think we were better than. If we can beat Baylor(which we should) and beat a solid team in the bowl game I think opinions of him will change.

But lets be honest he's carried by the O-line, running game, and defense. We have some of the most talented receivers too. It will be like night and day having Grier next year.

Posted on: 11/28/2016 6:46 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
I guess what pisses me off the most about the booing is the advertisement it gets 1st on NATIONAL TV by the announcers and 2nd Skylars interviews, it`s just not good press and it puts West Virginia in a bad light.I don`t live in the State anymore and haven't since 1984 but during all my years away I`ve always stood up defended WV through the negative stereotypes.

Posted on: 11/28/2016 7:09 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From charleston, wv
The comment about him getting booed really ticked me off when I heard it. He has got to have thicker skin if wants to be taken seriously. That was just a smart elek cheap shot remark at the fans and did nothing but distance himself from fans. The first thing that I thought of was that first bowl game against Texas A&M and he was running down the field making money signs like some kind of kid in the back yard. He literally has not matured at all. Then in a recent game when he got booed by the fans he threw his hands up to them and told them to bring it on. I will not miss this kid when he is gone. He is one of the most inaccurate passers that I have ever seen and made some really dumb decisions as a QB. My hat is off to him for his accomplishment with the passing yards. The comment about getting booed just really did him in for me. I would not care if he ever came back to WVU for anything ever.

Posted on: 11/28/2016 8:04 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Quote:

MarshallCo wrote:
Every fanbase likes talent and winners. People still talk about Major, Pat, Hoss, and Bulger. Luck and Geno are talked about to a degree too. We honestly haven't beaten a good team since Skyler has started for us. 0 wins against ranked opponents. Implosions against teams I think we were better than. If we can beat Baylor(which we should) and beat a solid team in the bowl game I think opinions of him will change.

But lets be honest he's carried by the O-line, running game, and defense. We have some of the most talented receivers too. It will be like night and day having Grier next year.

That kind of sucks when you realize we don't have any victories over ranked opponents in over 2 years

Posted on: 11/28/2016 8:24 pm

Party Machine
Quote:
That kind of sucks when you realize we don't have any victories over ranked opponents in over 2 years

The best win we have under Howard is either 2015 7-6 TT, 2016 8-4 BYU, or 2016 KSU 7-4. KSU and BYU can possibly get more wins. Georgia Southern was 9-4 last year but G5 :/

Posted on: 11/28/2016 8:33 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From M
Skylar plays hard and gives it his all. That's all I can ask from him and every other player at WVU. If he has a bad stretch here and there, its not from lack of effort. He has come out this season far improved and lead us to our best record since we joined the B12. Would we be 9-2 under Millard? Heck no, it could be much owrse. Skylar is no Pat White or Geno Smith but he was never supposed to even be where he's at, except he worked hard and made it happen. He has earned my respect. There are times I'm yelling at my TV at Skylar, but overall he's given me way more reason to cheer than boo by a long shot. I hope he has a career day in his last home game.

Posted on: 11/28/2016 8:48 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Fairmont
I stated last yr. what other staff could take a kid NOBODY wanted and turn him into what he has become.

I give that credit to Dana first and the other offensive coaches second.

Is he great no but beside a hand full of QB 's who is great?

Posted on: 11/28/2016 9:26 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Fairmont
I have no problem with his statement, he doesn't like it and he said it. I can't stand sheep.

Posted on: 11/28/2016 9:29 pm

Suspected Punter
From Maryland
There is NO EXCUSE to boo a player. You are not creating an atmosphere that makes kids want to come here and play. Do you think they mess up on purpose so you will have a reason to boo?

They are kids playing to earn a scholarship and entertain you. It is a shame that most people's day is good or bad based on how well their team did.

Posted on: 11/28/2016 9:37 pm

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
I think we are all forgetting that people are stupid and when they get drunk and go to a football game, they become nearly retarded. Skylar needs to factor in the stupid.

Posted on: 11/28/2016 10:24 pm

Ingest Feces Pittsburgh!

Party Machine
I don't know why everyone says "kid" these are 18-23 year old men. They can vote, drive a vehicle, smoke, some can legally drink, and most of all they can go fight and die for this country.

Do you call a person a kid if they're 18-23 and commit a crime?

Posted on: 11/28/2016 10:25 pm

Mr. Sunshine on my God damned shoulders John Denver!

Pitt Hater
I'm kind of shocked he said it after the Iowa State game. The WVU crowd there gave him nothing but love after the game, the whole team came over and was giving high-fives to the crowd, and everybody broke into "Country Roads." People were cheering for Skyler and he just won.

Not sure why he had such an attitude after THAT particular game.

Some sites picking up on it.

http://www.theet.com/sports/wvu/howar ... r&utm_campaign=user-share

Posted on: 11/28/2016 10:35 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
when they are younger than my KIDS they are refereed to as kids.

Posted on: 11/28/2016 11:42 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Home again, finally
Here's my take:

1. If you boo an amateur athlete playing for a school team, you're kind of a douche. Boo the coaches, boo the AD, hell boo the President...they're paid (very well paid) professionals who have accepted the fact that their tenure in that position is going to be based on success.

2. Skyler has exceeded a lot of expectations. I mean, for God's sake, he's a completely off-the-map Juco kid who is going to have his name inked in the record books alongside and AHEAD of WVU legends. Don't get me wrong, there have been times (probably more than a few) where I melted into the bleachers at MPS after he **** himself on the field...but there were also many times where he orchestrated plays that were so exciting I damn-near dry humped my wife in the stands.

3. If we're being honest, let's be honest...he was not SUPPOSED to be the starting QB here, not on a regular basis. A solid arm and strong competitor to push Crest and be his backup. Skyler was not intended to be "next". He earned "next". The dude busted his ass and took the job. Is it his fault he's the best QB we have? Is that a fault? If his year ends at the Missouri game...we're freaking Kansas.

4. He is limited physically, and may have a touch of little-man syndrome, but where would this team be for the last 2 years without him? In a word...gutter.

Posted on: 11/29/2016 1:22 am

Suspected Punter
From Sneads Ferry, NC
I agree with a previous post, I'm not sure how often people were booing Skyler vs booing the play calling. He needs to understand there is a difference and not everything is directed at him personally.

Posted on: 11/29/2016 5:31 am

Makin' it Rain
He is paid. It's called a free education

Posted on: 11/29/2016 9:19 am

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me