We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Skyler Howard
Pitt Hater
From Columbus, OH (via Belpre, OH)
Quote:

Turkish wrote:
Skylar plays hard and gives it his all. That's all I can ask from him and every other player at WVU. If he has a bad stretch here and there, its not from lack of effort. He has come out this season far improved and lead us to our best record since we joined the B12. Would we be 9-2 under Millard? Heck no, it could be much owrse. Skylar is no Pat White or Geno Smith but he was never supposed to even be where he's at, except he worked hard and made it happen. He has earned my respect. There are times I'm yelling at my TV at Skylar, but overall he's given me way more reason to cheer than boo by a long shot. I hope he has a career day in his last home game.

It's really hard to be disappointed with a 9-2 record in this conference. If you look at Howard's stats as a whole, it's really hard to be disappointed in him. And as has been said many times over, he's over-achieved in so many ways. My disappointment comes from the way Howard and the team has played against ranked opponents. I mean, have we beaten a ranked team in the past 2 1/2 seasons? It seems like when we played the better teams on our schedule, we get our doors blown off.

Howard can make the throws. IMO what he lacks is the ability to put the team on his back and keep his teammates in the game. Oklahoma is the perfect example. After the Sooners scored on the muffed punt, you need a QB to come out, calm everyone down, and answer by putting points on the board. Instead, well, you know what happened. Sometimes, you just need a guy to stop the bleeding and gut out a few first downs.

Maybe it's not fair to expect that because so few QBs have that quality and that's why those guys are so valuable. I think Clint had that quality and that's why the fans loved him. Other than size, it's the only other thing Howard is lacking.

I'll never Boo him or any other player, but I get it. If you're emotionally invested in this team and program it hurts to see the team play so miserably. You want to express your displeasure otherwise you feel like you might explode. But I think you have to consider just what these athletes put themselves through day in and day out. It's REALLY hard. They're not trying to lose.

Posted on: 11/29/2016 10:13 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Pitt Hater
From St. Louis, MO
Quote:

wvudee wrote:
He is paid. It's called a free education

You are a **** douche as well. Every comment you make is negative to the extreme of being negative. I would love to see what you contributed to your sports teams or your job for that matter because it is obvious to me that you need a real asshole boss to put your ass in check.

Skyler getting a free education does not mean the fans should boo him when he busts his ass day in and day out. I personally go back and forth about paying players and your comment about him getting paid through a free education somehow equates in your asinine brain that he is a professional and its ok boo. If universities start paying players a stipend then fine, I may change my mind about booing.

BDUN66 had it right, Skyler was not supposed to start for WVU. He was passed over by every single D1 school but kept on working hard and got to where he is now. This kid embodies West Virginia through toughness and dedication to his team. People on here post how Skyler is all about himself and keeps the ball too much on zone reads but maybe that is because he is reading the play and making a decision.

The kid deserves more for how he kept WVU football relevant and winning. This year is a team effort but he is still the leader of the pack holding it together. This kid is grateful for being at WVU and the chance he received here. Show him a little respect.

Stop being such an idiot and give the kid some credit asshole.

Posted on: 11/29/2016 10:45 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
The only knock I have with Howa4d is how he hasn't been consistent against ranked opponents. Hasn't won a game in his career against a ranked opponents. That's still no reason to book the kid. If anybody honestly has a complaint this season after potentially winning 10 or 11 games, you need your head checked.

Posted on: 11/29/2016 12:45 pm

Makin' it Rain
Quote:

UncleFestus wrote:
Quote:

wvudee wrote:
He is paid. It's called a free education

You are a **** douche as well. Every comment you make is negative to the extreme of being negative. I would love to see what you contributed to your sports teams or your job for that matter because it is obvious to me that you need a real asshole boss to put your ass in check.

Skyler getting a free education does not mean the fans should boo him when he busts his ass day in and day out. I personally go back and forth about paying players and your comment about him getting paid through a free education somehow equates in your asinine brain that he is a professional and its ok boo. If universities start paying players a stipend then fine, I may change my mind about booing.

BDUN66 had it right, Skyler was not supposed to start for WVU. He was passed over by every single D1 school but kept on working hard and got to where he is now. This kid embodies West Virginia through toughness and dedication to his team. People on here post how Skyler is all about himself and keeps the ball too much on zone reads but maybe that is because he is reading the play and making a decision.

The kid deserves more for how he kept WVU football relevant and winning. This year is a team effort but he is still the leader of the pack holding it together. This kid is grateful for being at WVU and the chance he received here. Show him a little respect.

Stop being such an idiot and give the kid some credit asshole.

You're tough. The fact remains. There are nearly 30k kids that attend WVU and the majority pay for their education. That means they, or their parents, stress and work hard for their kids to go to college. His is free. I dont give a **** if he grinds in the gym or film room. Now shut the f#ck up. Hes a D1 starting QB. If he had a future in the NFL, his selfish post game comments would be used against him. I don't know where stating his education is free is not giving him credit. Perhaps in your mind, giving him credit equates to blowing him. He has an attitude problem with his comments and running off the field making hand gestures against Oklahoma...just like Geno Smith had/has an attitude problem.

He gets credit for winning against average teams in a down year. No credit for beating anyone worth a **** bc he hasn't. Deal with it.

Posted on: 11/29/2016 1:25 pm

Makin' it Rain
And people boo'd bc they spent hard earned money to watch that garbage performance. So if you want to take the fans' right to boo away from them, you better start selling $0 tickets. Then you have a point. If not, and Skyler can't handle the boo'ing, then he should've stopped playing at the pee wee level.

That being said, I wouldn't boo the team, paid ticket or not.

Posted on: 11/29/2016 1:35 pm

Pitt Hater
I just don't like the "woe is me" attitude. We all know how quarterbacks are treated at a D1 school. This "I don't feel welcome at WVU" is complete nonsense. Give me a break. Knock off the fragile-ego attitude and get over it.

You are our quarterback... we love you when you play well, and we are quick to criticize when you aren't. It's not the right thing to do, but it happens to players and coaches alike. It's not all about you.....

Posted on: 11/29/2016 2:06 pm

Pitt Hater
From Columbus, OH (via Belpre, OH)
Just like I don't have a problem with people booing poor play, I don't have a problem with what Howard said. When you're a fighter, you learn to never back down. Sometimes you can't help but throw a job in defense even when it may not be warranted. It's an emotional game. He's an emotional guy that's playing his last two football games. He's going out with guns blazing. In another month it won't matter

Posted on: 11/29/2016 2:21 pm

Suspected Punter
IF I boo, its the playcalling, not the kids. In one vein, its OK for him if he needs it to motivate him. In the other, he's Mr. Pissypants.

Posted on: 11/29/2016 2:56 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Originally, Lester WV, now, Richmond, "East" Virginia

This probably does not belong here, but here goes.

Posted on: 11/29/2016 3:30 pm

Pitt Hater
From SW FL

Posted on: 11/29/2016 3:36 pm

Pitt Hater
From Atlanta, GA
Not justifying the booing, but the stat lines listed in the beginning of the thread need to be contextualized.... a lot.

First, the WVU QBs you are comparing him to all played in very, very different systems and times. Most of which primarily featured the run. If you would pick Howard over Geno, Pat, Oliver, Jeff, Major, Bulger, Rasheed, etc. I don't know what to tell you. They all were better QBs than Howard. If this wasn't the case, you'd have to explain the mass conspiracy of all major football teams and leagues that are showing little to no interest in him as a next level player.

Second, a lot of the success is based on the system that Dana runs. A fair comparison would be comparing Howard to other Dana coached quarterbacks within the Dana system of offense. When you do this, this season (which is Howard's best) is nearly the worst of any Dana coached QB going back to his TTU OC days in every category (yard, Tds to Ints, completion percentage)--even when you consider he has two games left. Here is where he sits. He is clearly better than the 2013 combo of Childress/Millard/Trickett and is on par with Trickett's 2014 year. This is the best comparison point in terms of a similar season by a Dana QB: 62.5% completion verse Clint's 67.1%, 3083 yards verse Clint's 3285, 24 Tds verse Clint's 18, tied with 10 Ints, and 152 rating verse Clint's 142. And Clint stopped at 11 games (really 10 1/2 because he left KSU early), which is where Howard is at right now. Here is where you have to give Howard some credit bc IMO Trickett was a better QB in terms of routine throws and accuracy. Howard's mobility and long ball has to be the difference here in both TDs.

Other than that, Howard is clearly below Smith's 2012 and 2011 seasons, Weeden's 2010 season, Keenum's 2009-2008 seasons, Harrell's 2007 and 2006 seasons, and Cody Hodge's 2005 season. This is even more concerning when you consider a lot of these seasons were the first year that Dana instituted his system: 2011 at WVU, 2010 OSU, 2008 Houston. Meaning these QBs did better with less time in the system. The only argument that could potentially be made is that his rating is on par/slightly better than some of the TTU QB's. If anything, the credit to Howard should be that he has done more with less. He is slightly more efficient in comparison to some others. However, his efficiency in the rating system is the result of the reliance on big homerun throws. When they are not there, his numbers drop even lower.

But in terms of base stats, Howard will approximately need 450-500 yards in the next two games with 4-5 touchdown passes in each to even enter the conversation with the rest of the pack of a typical Dana QB. Who knows, maybe he does this. I hope he does. I'd love to be completely wrong about where he will finish and have him break 4K yards and put up 32-35 TDs. But I cannot sit here and say he is the second or third best QB to put on the Ol' gold and blue. It's just not honest.

As for the booing, tip your hats and give the kid a hand on senior day folks.

Posted on: 11/29/2016 4:42 pm

From Charlottesville, Virginia
Skyler creates too much drama. He achieved good results, but there was some baggage, and that is on him. I don't dislike him, but his comments are a little much. I bet the cheers to boos ratio was like 80:20, but he only listened to the boos.

Posted on: 11/29/2016 5:24 pm

WMITC
From Here
Quote:

DirtyDubVee wrote:
The QBs you are comparing him to all played in very, very different systems and times.

I didn't really compare him to anyone, other than posting statistics. They are what they are.

Quote:
Most of which primarily featured the run.

Yeah, I pointed that out. Did you watch us this season? We're a running team now.

Quote:
If you would pick Howard over Geno, Pat, Oliver, Jeff, Major, Bulger, Rasheed, etc. I don't know what to tell you. They all were better QBs than Howard.

That's really stretching what I said. I said he is third or fourth all-time in several statistical categories. I'd like to see you prove that isn't true.

Pat White was a running QB. Would I like to have him for four more years? Of course.

So was Rasheed. Did you ever see him throw a pass? They looked like punts.

A typical Major passing stat line was 12-15 for 200 yards. He was also known for his running.

So, yeah, I'd take Geno, Pat, Major, Luck, etc. over Howard in a heartbeat. That doesn't change a single one of the statistics I cited by a single yard or a single TD. As I said, they are what they are.

Quote:
A fair comparison would be comparing Howard to other Dana coached quarterbacks within the Dana system of offense.

Totally irrelevant to a list of WVU statistical leaders. I said Howard was third or fourth on the list (he is). I never said he was a god.

Quote:
As for the booing, tip your hats and give the kid a hand on senior day folks.

As I posted, it's time to show a little respect.

Posted on: 11/29/2016 8:44 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
I respect the effort Skyler puts into his role, and the improvements he has made. He has beaten just about everybody he was supposed to, and lost to just about everybody he was supposed to. I don't think he is great...heck I still don't think he is good, but I'll never boo him. He had done a good job and will could be 20-8 in his career. Kudos.

I think Will Grier will be a massive upgrade in terms of ability and should be just as hungry. If that's the case we may well be talking about a CFB playoff next year.

Posted on: 11/29/2016 8:52 pm

Suspected Punter
For me, the largest knock against Howard is that he does not make the team around him better. His home run throws are when the WRs are beating their coverage, this would not seem to be a problem, but he frequently throws it into double or triple coverage. He cannot seem to put any touch on the ball, this makes short throws nearly impossible and I believe causes many of the drops we see. He doesn't have a good feel in the pocket and plays hero ball far too much.

That all being said, the dude plays with moxie, if not downright disrespect (the Texas A&M game with the money fingers come to mind.) He has a pretty good cannon and when he isn't too hyped up, has damn good downfield accuracy. His complaining about the fans however seems like sour grapes and reads like a deflection for the turd that the team laid in the Oklahoma game. He doesn't seem to have much respect for the only D1 school to offer him a chance to play QB. I mean, I'm not mad if he leaves and never comes back because he doesn't like it here. He could at least have held his tongue for 2 more games and go out with some class.

Posted on: 11/30 6:09 am

Pitt Hater
Quote:

His complaining about the fans however seems like sour grapes and reads like a deflection for the turd that the team laid in the Oklahoma game. He doesn't seem to have much respect for the only D1 school to offer him a chance to play QB. I mean, I'm not mad if he leaves and never comes back because he doesn't like it here. He could at least have held his tongue for 2 more games and go out with some class.

Exactly. He made some bad plays, own up to it. It's not like he doesn't get cheered when he throws a TD, runs one in for a TD etc... To bad-mouth the fans and say he doesn't feel welcome in WV is just bad taste. You're also spot on with the lack of respect for WVU.

Posted on: 11/30 8:13 am

Pitt Hater
From NEW JERSEY
Skylar needs to get some thicker skin. I don't think the fans were booing him, but rather booing the team in general. 8 hours of pre-game boozing, sitting through miserable weather conditions only to watch an unprepared team suffer what was probably the worst half of football in WVU history. For that, I'll give the fans in attendance a pass.

I like Skylar and his moxie. He's done pretty well for his size and skills within Holgs' system. I can't wait to see what our offense can do with a better QB like Greir or Chugs. We saw flashes of what our offense could be with Geno, and now that we have a better D our team can be great next year. 10-2 or 11-2 is still amazing IMO. Even if we haven't beaten a ranked team.

Posted on: 11/30 8:31 am

Pitt Hater
From St. Louis, MO

Posted on: 12/1 12:24 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Canonsburg, PA
Quote:
8 hours of pre-game boozing, sitting through miserable weather conditions only to watch an unprepared team suffer what was probably the worst half of football in WVU history. For that, I'll give the fans in attendance a pass.

Obviously you haven't sat through a late 70s half of WVU football where we looked just like we did against Oklahoma except we were playing the Richmond Spiders.

Or maybe any of a half dozen Penn State games where we turned the ball over 9 times on 11 fumbles.

No. It was a bad half but.....I have seen worse.

Posted on: 12/1 1:47 pm

Pitt Hater
From Athens GA
Agreed. We were still in the game against a top ten team.

Posted on: 12/1 3:11 pm

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved