We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

Decommits
Pitt Hater
From Atlanta, GA
Scouting services showing we only have 15 commits right now. I thought we had 20 a few weeks ago.

I haven't been following recruiting as closely as I have in the past.

I saw Mark Hunt the 3 star CB is one of them. Rumor is he was asked to decommit. But not sure why yet.

Who else did we lose?

Posted on: 12/1 2:00 pm

Re: Decommits
Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
We told Alex Woods to take a hike after he went on a visit without letting the staff know. That is a big deal with WVU's coaches when it comes to commits: they can take a visit somewhere else but at least let them know before hand.

Offensive lineman Cody Bowes also decommitteed. I don't know if it was mutual or if he is thinking of staying local (he is from Florida and I think he is big on Miami).

Posted on: 12/1 3:01 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Suspected Punter
If I were betting, I would bet Harley flips.

Posted on: 1/16 8:46 am

Noob
From Liverpool, PA
Also lost Deamonte King, DB from ohio I think. I think the 15 you are referring to doesn't include the mid-year signees. I think there were around 7.

Posted on: 1/16 12:46 pm

Pitt Hater
From Atlanta, GA
No ... we had 15 total at time. 12/1 was before the midyear signing period. It's been 7 weeks since that post was made.

Posted on: 1/16 1:03 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:

Eerful wrote:
If I were betting, I would bet Harley flips.

The kid is solid.He will be in Morgantown this weekend.

Posted on: 1/16 3:09 pm

Suspected Punter
William Crest is leaving the program.

Posted on: 1/16 6:13 pm

Pitt Hater
From Atlanta, GA
Harley took an official last weekend to Miami ... He isn't as solid as he says.

Posted on: 1/16 7:18 pm

Suspected Punter
I hate it that Crest is leaving, but I fully understand. I think he should have been used in other positions, I.e. running back. I would not have blown Petteway's redshirt.

Posted on: 1/16 8:45 pm

Pitt Hater
From Columbus, OH (via Belpre, OH)
Quote:

Eerful wrote:
I hate it that Crest is leaving, but I fully understand. I think he should have been used in other positions, I.e. running back. I would not have blown Petteway's redshirt.

Switching positions isn't as easy as it sounds. I know we sometimes think that if we recruit a 3 or 4 star athletic QB, he'll be a 3 or 4 star caliber RB or WR if it doesn't work out. You can put Crest in any position you want, chances are, at this level, there are a half a dozen guys on the roster better than him already.
Pulling Petteway's Redshirt isn't the end of the world. You recruit these guys for this exact purpose. In hindsight they probably wish they had pulled it sooner as injuries started to mount. What this means is that they'll most likely recruit an extra RB in the next two years. There are never a shortage of HS RBs to recruit. If we roll into Iowa State with Crest as our starting RB, we wouldn't have beat them by 30. Petteway was huge in that game. Iowa State wasn't the best team but they played some good teams tough and had just walloped TT by 50 points. I imagine the coaching staff didn't want to take any chances. Hell, Petteway was ready and deserved to play anyway.

Posted on: 1/17 12:35 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Canonsburg, PA
Quote:

Eerful wrote:

I think we may look back on the fact that we wanted to red shirt Petteway as a mistake. If Petteway is the real deal (and he looks like it so far but it is early) he needs 3 years before going to the NFL. The whole red-shirt concept is to allow a player to sit a year and then have 4 years to play. That is for a player that is worried about NCAA eligibility. For the guys better than that, they are looking at the 3 year waiting period. So Petteway can sit on the bench all of this year but it isn't buying him any more time later. All you got was a year without his services and two years with his services instead of 3 years with his services.

I think the red shirt should be analyzed closely.

Posted on: 1/17 12:47 pm

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved