We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

atv advice

From Alkol, Lincoln County
i'm looking to get a new(er) 4-wheeler probably in the spring, so i'm starting now looking for advice.

i'm looking for strictly a utility atv, not a side-by-side or 'racing' atv.

i have no preference in brand. i need either 4x4 or awd, it doesn't really matter.. just tired of getting stuck in 1-inch deep mud with my current piece of crap. i also don't need anything too powerful. 400-800cc is my prefered range, 500 is about where i'd like though. i will use a snow blade and winch for it though.

i'm not opposed to getting a used 4 wheeler, but it all depends on price.

Posted on: 12/2 8:01 am

Re: atv advice
Pitt Hater
Get yourself a Honda with 4X4. All of my experience with Honda's is that they cannot be beat, even with little to no maintenance they keep on going. I myself am a stickler for maintenance but I have friends that don't do anything but get almost the same service as I do.

If you buy used you will want to obviously stay away from any that were NEVER maintained. Also, I would not buy a used one from a dealer, prices are generally up to 50% higher than what you can buy from an individual. The other benefit of buying from an individual you get to see how and where the bike was kept and you can look around at his other toys, cars and home to see how he keeps them.

As for a plow - you will want to buy a atv that is no less than a 500cc, you will need the weight and power. I would highly suggest looking into a snowsport plow, they are easy to install and less headaches than winch driven ones.

Posted on: 12/2 8:53 am

Pitt Hater
From North Central, WV
Good advice I concur.

Posted on: 12/2 11:21 am

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
Honda 1000 times over.

If you intend to do a LOT of plowing, get as big of one as you can afford.

Posted on: 12/2 11:59 am

thanks for the input, i won't be plowing a lot, maybe once or twice a winter at most. but i have a longer driveway-500 feet, so to heck with shoveling all that again. i'll probably use it to cut down blackberry and briar patches that seem to pop up right beside my trail i have.

i'd like a winch just for utility purposes, and i know that a lot of plows are controlled by the winch, so that part really doesn't make a difference either way if it's part of the plow control or seperate.

Posted on: 12/2 5:19 pm

just looking at strictly ~500cc 4 wheelers, i've made another list of sorts.

can-am outlander 570, honda foreman rubicon, polaris sportsman 570, yamaha kodiak 700, arctic cat alterra 550, and suzuki kingquad axi 500.

strictly new bikes, and not counting arctic cat because their website sucks, the honda is the most expensive according to msrp. there's a cheaper version of it without independent rear suspension called simply the 'foreman', but i've only had that on my current bike so i really didn't want to change.

i've seen a price on a yamaha that would make it the cheapest of the bunch, but no one has 'sale' prices listed for their bikes, just the msrp.

there's a used polaris sportsman from a dealer that's really low, it's at $4500 and only a year old with a couple hundred miles on it, and it looks great. just raises a redflag with it being so cheap compared to what i've seen.

Posted on: 12/5 6:45 am

Makin' it Rain
From Here
I have a Polaris Ranger that I use around the house and to push snow. I love the thing except for one thing, it eats batteries. If I don't keep it on a trickle charger or disconnect the battery it drains it and it won't hold a charge. I have been told by others that they have the same problem. If you go for the Polaris, be sure to ask if it eats batteries.

Posted on: 12/5 7:34 am

Scientists discover, understand and inform.

Environmentalists preach.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

i've heard that about the polaris brand, that they like batteries. i've had that issue with my current 4 wheeler, maybe i don't ride it enough and it's 15 years old, but i've been through 3 or 4 batteries now.

Posted on: 12/6 4:20 pm

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
What a lot of people do is install a master kill switch at the battery and just shut it off if the bike's going to be parked for a while.

Posted on: 12/7 8:21 am

WMITC
From Here
My advice: wear a helmet.

Posted on: 12/7 11:41 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Robertsdale,Al via parkersburg
Polaris is the way to go if you want a used ATV. The battery issue is usually because after starting people ride for 15 to 20 minutes shutdown restart play around another 15 to 20 . its a cycle and it wears the battery down and once it gets below a certain voltage it will not recharge.

Posted on: 12/7 6:03 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Quote:

Sane wrote:
My advice: wear a helmet.

I was not expecting that comment after reading everybody else's reply

Posted on: 12/8 2:24 am

would an aluminum foil helmet do?

Posted on: 12/8 7:11 am

Pitt Hater
From Frederick, MD
I had a Polaris 90 and a 250 (both 2 strokes) for my daughter and wife.
The battery on the 90 was worthless, but it kick started easily. It was a tiny battery and after the third replacement I gave up. Never had a problem with the battery on the 250. These were sport wheelers and a lot of fun. Also had a Honda TRX 450 EX that was a blast to ride. It was built like a tank and super reliable. The Polaris wheelers were not as well built but we never had a problem with them either (except the battery on the 90).

I've owned Yamaha and Honda dirt bikes, and also a John Deere Gator.
I think Hondas are built the best but they are more expensive. IMO they hold their resale value better, but I don't have any real data to back up that claim. The 450 I had I bought used and sold for what I paid 6 years later.
Both of the Polaris were bought new and of we took a beating when we sold them and got out of the sport.

Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major brands. As long as you keep up on the maintenance and don't beat the poop out of the machine. I like to buy used because of the depreciation you take the day you roll it off the lot. If you plan on keeping it forever then the depreciation doesn't really matter.

If I wanted a 4WD unit I would insist on independent rear suspension.

Good luck with your purchase. I hope you enjoy riding. I did for most of my life. Nothing better than trail riding on a dirt bike or a wheeler. Now I've switched to a street bike for that ocassional thrill. And I use my antique Gravely tractors for some of the things on my property I used the GATOR for. The GATOR was sweet, 4WD and locking differential, 1000 lbs power dump bed, but I didn't use it that much. It was overkill for what I need so I sold it after one year. Bought it used and got what I paid for it when I sold it. Side by sides are nice but they are big machines.

Posted on: 12/8 9:56 am

Obama: We will put a man in your daughter's restroom.

i'll use this one for plowing snow, but i rarely get that much snow down here. i may 'plow' some blackberry vines out of the way of the 4 wheeler path around here, but that won't be as hard on the 4 wheeler as a few pounds of snow.

i won't do much mudding, if at all. just doesn't appeal to me to go into waist deep mud and try to get out.

Posted on: 12/8 8:04 pm

update, finally got one. now i'm winch hunting. i know there's cheaper winches out there, but kfi seems a good enough brand and is on the cheaper end compared to polaris/warn prices. just looking for a cheap price/good quality and a recommendation on synthetic or steel line.

Posted on: 4/22 3:14 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From Originally, Lester WV, now, Richmond, "East" Virginia
Quote:

msaul37 wrote:
update, finally got one. now i'm winch hunting. i know there's cheaper winches out there, but kfi seems a good enough brand and is on the cheaper end compared to polaris/warn prices. just looking for a cheap price/good quality and a recommendation on synthetic or steel line.

I think you need a double wench.

Open in new window

Posted on: 4/22 4:42 am

Pitt Hater
This is a public service For anyone that has a four wheeler and needs to shovel or plow a driveway. I know you asked about a winch but, I'm going to tell you about a plow, I bought this one this past year and LOVE it.
Check this out http://www.agricover.com/snowsport/atv/
This plow is outstanding. Everything as advertised.
This plow is good for hard surfaces or gravel. I have a 1/4 mile gravel driveway and because of the plows great design it outperforms a steel edge, winch lifted plow all day long.
Explore the website, watch the videos and read all of the reviews. I just wish I bought one years ago.

Posted on: 4/22 9:10 am

i will probably get the plow later in the fall near winter. i just got a water line dug and they didn't really dress up the dirt.. too much to do with a shovel and a garden hoe. it's not mountains of dirt, just a couple inches, along with some small rocks in the way. not looking to straight up turn the sportsman into a dozer, just a light-grader.

Posted on: 4/22 12:16 pm

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved