We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

(1) 2 3 4 »

2017 WVU Football Preseason thread

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
ESPN already throwin' shade:

http://www.espn.com/blog/big12/post/_ ... ng-position-rankings-wr-3

#9. West Virginia: Leading receiver Shelton Gibson unexpectedly declaring for the NFL draft was a blow to the Mountaineers. It will now be on Ka'Raun White or Jovon Durante to become the team's No. 1 receiver. David Sills rejoining the rotation after a juco stint trying quarterback should help.

Posted on: 2/10 12:54 pm

Re: 2017 WVU Football Preseason thread
Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:

WVisHome wrote:
ESPN already throwin' shade:

http://www.espn.com/blog/big12/post/_ ... ng-position-rankings-wr-3

#9. West Virginia: Leading receiver Shelton Gibson unexpectedly declaring for the NFL draft was a blow to the Mountaineers. It will now be on Ka'Raun White or Jovon Durante to become the team's No. 1 receiver. David Sills rejoining the rotation after a juco stint trying quarterback should help.

I saw this and was at first annoyed. But this is based on past performances, and every team ahead of WVU has shown something at receiver.

But with Durante, White, Sills, Jennings, Simms, Smothers and Maiden, I think this could be a damn good group of receivers.

Posted on: 2/10 12:59 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
ESPN giving the running backs some praise.

1. West Virginia: Justin Crawford is the Big 12's leading returning rusher after a 1,184-yard junior season that earned Offensive Newcomer of the Year honors. Kennedy McKoy was one of the conference's more productive freshman backs in 2016 and Martell Pettaway showed his potential with a 181-yard debut in late November. Early enrollee Tevin Bush is a 5-foot-5 speedster. The Mountaineers lost Rushel Shell and still have the conference's best stable of backs going into spring ball.

Posted on: 2/10 1:01 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
Might as well finish this up....

Quarterbacks ranked 6th in the Big 12 by ESPN – mostly because Grier hasn't done anything yet.

6. West Virginia: This ranking has the potential to rise significantly, but will hinge on Will Grier being the same quarterback he was those first six games as a freshman at Florida. Before the PED suspension in 2015, Grier had thrown for 10 touchdowns and completed 66 percent of his passes. After backing up Skyler Howard last season, Chris Chugunov figures to be the favorite over Cody Saunders to do the same behind Grier this fall.

The offensive line, meanwhile, was ranked in the middle of the pack of the Big 12. I personally think it could be higher, but I am a homer.

5. West Virginia: Tyler Orlosky, a 42-game starter and a special leader for the Mountaineers, is about as irreplaceable as it gets. But West Virginia does bring back three quality linemen in Kyle Bosch, Colton McKivitz and Yodny Cajuste, who's back after a torn ACL in the 2016 opener. ESPN JC 50 transfer Kelby Wickline, the son of line coach Joe Wickline, will be a nice addition.

Posted on: 2/10 1:08 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From spencer
#9 wr no way. We had to many guys that were almost as good as last years starters coming back. We wont have a superstar we will have 4-5 guys that you have to cover every one well. If grier is fast at picking up the open one we are going to give people fits.

Posted on: 2/10 6:26 pm

Pitt Hater
From SW FL
dub vee will be the bomb
figuratively and literally

Posted on: 2/10 7:23 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Robertsdale,Al via parkersburg
Jake Trotter is a MORON

Posted on: 2/11 2:39 am

Pitt Hater
From Columbus, OH (via Belpre, OH)
Shorts will be harder to replace than Gibson. The guy was a monster on 3rd down for us. We have plenty of talent on the outside, but having a guy that can get open underneath from the slot and make the catch in traffic is something only Shorts excelled at last season. Maybe Wesco can become that guy. Durante hasn't looked comfortable going over the middle

Posted on: 2/11 7:53 am

Pitt Hater
From SW FL
find an Edelman clone

while I'm at it - a runaway beer truck too . . .

Posted on: 2/11 8:20 am

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Quote:

Strohs wrote:
Shorts will be harder to replace than Gibson. The guy was a monster on 3rd down for us. We have plenty of talent on the outside, but having a guy that can get open underneath from the slot and make the catch in traffic is something only Shorts excelled at last season. Maybe Wesco can become that guy. Durante hasn't looked comfortable going over the middle

I agree on Durante, I actually wouldn't mind trying White in that role,(White seems to have the strongest hands) and having Durante and Sills on the outside. Though having a more accurate passer could make a huge diffence with Durante in the middle.

Posted on: 2/11 12:15 pm

Suspected Punter
Agreed on Shorts. He was way under-rated....great hands and always reliable. I hope he gets a shot in the NFL.

I like this receiver core and think it could be among the best in the Big 12 now that we have a qb that can throw it to them.

Posted on: 2/11 1:14 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
A quiet off-season is a good off-season, I'd like no news until July 1st. I am interested to watch the spring game and get a taste of football again.

Posted on: 2/11 2:04 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
Quote:

Strohs wrote:

Amen. The way Gibson played in the bowl game really tainted my opinion of him. Very replaceable. Shorts on the other hand is far tougher to replace.

There is a place for Shorts on sundays and I predict he will be in the NFL much longer than the one trick pony Gibson. Shorts reminds me of Mohammed Sanu of Atlanta

Posted on: 2/11 3:18 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
From M
They are in for a big surprise. I like it this way.

Posted on: 2/11 4:38 pm

Pitt Hater
From Atlanta, GA
I think Sills would be great underneath. He's a tough matchup between his size and speed. Plus, he has great hands.

Posted on: 2/11 4:42 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From Robertsdale,Al via parkersburg
We have never had a problem filling WR spots,some one always stands out every year and 2017 wont be any different.I`m more concerned about our O`line and what kind of protection they will afford Grier and will they be able to hold up a stiff D long enough for him to deliver on target.

Posted on: 2/12 2:02 am

Party Machine
From Barboursville, WV
I think we'll be fine there. The only one I am not sold on is Durante. He has a world of talent but from the comments from the coaching staff, he has been difficult to teach to block downfield and to stop taking plays off. He has also not done well making reads and adjustments. If was only about running and catching...he has a world of talent. I hope he can realize this and reach his potential.

Posted on: 2/20 4:20 pm

Pitt Hater
From Eastern WV
Football: Dana Holgorsen | 3/2/17

Posted on: 3/2 5:10 pm

Pitt Hater
From Eastern WV
So, the big news is Dana is not calling the plays this year. He joked about how it's aging him. The special teams will be divided among the offense and defense. We also have a new analyst that will allow the coaches to do more coaching during the season.

Posted on: 3/2 6:23 pm

Grant Ave. Warrior
I fully expected Jake Spavital to be calling plays when he was hired to be honest with you. He's a Holgy protege so I'm sure he feels comfortable by handing him the reins.

Posted on: 3/2 9:57 pm

(1) 2 3 4 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved