We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

5 seconds?
Makin' it Rain
From Fairmont

Posted on: 2/14 6:54 am

Re: 5 seconds?
Gettin' Schmitty
From Around
Anything goes at the Phog with under 2 minutes to go. We have been royally screwed by officials twice now at Kansas. Remember a couple years ago we were up 18?

They made more free throws than we attempted. They shot 15 more free throws, and the only reason it's only by 15 is because they were intentionally fouling us with 2 minutes to go.

Frank Mason scored 16 points from the free throw line. We all had to be fools to think we actually had a chance to give Kansas back to back home losses. No way they (refs) would let that happen without a fight.

Posted on: 2/14 7:50 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
I consider myself lucky because I didn't watch the game. I knew there was no way WVU was going to win this game and didn't want to be up most of the night being pissed off. I love this team but I have read the script before: everything and anything will go in Kansas' favor at home.

What I hopes happens is this team gets pissed off and rains hell on the rest of the teams they play. I think they can win the rest of the games. The hardest game is at Baylor, and I don't think the Bears match up well with WVU.

Remember when WVU lost that horrible three overtime game to sPitt in the 2009-10 season? That game was on Feb. 12 and the Mountaineers lost only one game after that on their trip to the Final Four. Hopefully this team can do something similar.

Posted on: 2/14 8:00 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Lexington, KY (Hurricane, WV is home)
I thought WVU was the better team last night. We did have a bit of a meltdown at the end, but holy crap...the crowd there is wild as hell. If we played that game on a neutral court, we would have won. The fact that we went toe to toe with the #3 team in the nation in their house and lost by some questionable calls (and the freak Nathan Adrian screw up at the end) further proves that we can compete with any team.

Posted on: 2/14 9:11 am

Pitt Hater
I rewound this particular play and it was a 5 second violation, even though it was close it could have been called.
What I saw was Tarik caught the ball, let it drop to the floor then picked it up, that was two seconds, then he commenced to inbound it at the 4-1/2 to 5 second count. I didn't notice the jumping of out of bounds by the defender though. That was a missed call by the home field refs.
I kind of figured we would loss, being in kansas but, had to watch the game.
FWIW - I do not think Kansas is as good as they are made out to be and they are not a final 4 team. If they make it past the sweet 16 I'll be surprised.

Posted on: 2/14 9:29 am

Makin' it Rain
From Fairmont
Let's put it this way, if that WAS not 5 seconds , then without question they had a 5 second call later in the game. I agree we gave the game away. We are just as good as they are. The difference they have 3 players who can get them a bucket. The one that killed us the 3 with 32 seconds left in regulation.

Posted on: 2/14 11:14 am

Makin' it Rain
From Canonsburg, PA
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:
I rewound this particular play and it was a 5 second violation, even though it was close it could have been called.
What I saw was Tarik caught the ball, let it drop to the floor then picked it up, that was two seconds, then he commenced to inbound it at the 4-1/2 to 5 second count. I didn't notice the jumping of out of bounds by the defender though. That was a missed call by the home field refs.
FWIW - I do not think Kansas is as good as they are made out to be and they are not a final 4 team. If they make it past the sweet 16 I'll be surprised.

The only penalty for the guy jumping out was a warning for delay. This happens a lot in basketball and is not always called. In college basketball it really isn't that big of a deal. The thrower has enough area that a slight incursion is not a big deal. This rule is really for those places like small gyms and high schools where there is not room to get away from the guy. Remember, the thrower can move as far back as he wants to get away from the thrower. Plus, in this instance he can run the line so I don't really see it being that big of a disadvantage. I have to admit that I don't always call it. You don't want to take away a good defensive play for a horsecrap half a foot over the line. It should never have gotten to that anyway. You have to be able to have an inbound play for pressure....especially when you are a team known for back court pressure!

Posted on: 2/14 11:41 am

Makin' it Rain
From Fairmont
Was it a dead ball?

And if a warning was given the 5 second count starts again.

Posted on: 2/14 12:24 pm

Pitt Hater
Quote:

brobison wrote:
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:

The only penalty for the guy jumping out was a warning for delay. This happens a lot in basketball and is not always called. In college basketball it really isn't that big of a deal. The thrower has enough area that a slight incursion is not a big deal. This rule is really for those places like small gyms and high schools where there is not room to get away from the guy. Remember, the thrower can move as far back as he wants to get away from the thrower. Plus, in this instance he can run the line so I don't really see it being that big of a disadvantage. I have to admit that I don't always call it. You don't want to take away a good defensive play for a horsecrap half a foot over the line. It should never have gotten to that anyway. You have to be able to have an inbound play for pressure....especially when you are a team known for back court pressure!

While I agree with you and your explanation and respect your input I feel the missed call cost us the inbound and possibly a 4 point swing. And I know that happens, missed calls, see below.
To your point, and I can't remember the game but, I recall one of our players being moved about 1 foot back beyond the sideline which was in front of a team bench. I guess my biggest beef is not that we(WVU) are over officiated as much as the officials are not consistent. And at this level we (NCAA basketball) should never see this inconsistency.
FWIW - I too am an official but in football and I understand how we strive to be as consistent as possible with no bias. I too have missed calls and if you don't see the whole action you cannot call it. See the call, make the call.

Posted on: 2/14 12:49 pm

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved