We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

Dear Not My President, please give us some money "dam" it!!
Pitt Hater
From Parkersburg,WV
Since they are so big on this whole CalExit thing this should be a practice run in being an independent country. Be careful what you wish for...

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/cal ... oville-dam-182825393.html

This is my favorite part.

In asking for assistance, the governor said Oroville Dam emergency is "of such severity and magnitude that continued effective response is beyond the capabilities of the state and affected local governments and supplemental federal assistance is necessary to save lives and to protect property, public health and safety, and to lessen the effects of this serious situation."

These professional protesters fail to realize exiting the Union means the "federal money" no longer comes from D.C. It would come, or in this case not come from their new capital which is there current capital.

Posted on: 2/14 8:32 am

Re: Dear Not My President, please give us some money "dam" it!!
Party Machine
From Chucktown
Quote:

DonKeebals wrote:
Since they are so big on this whole CalExit thing this should be a practice run in being an independent country. Be careful what you wish for...

In asking for assistance, the governor said Oroville Dam emergency is "of such severity and magnitude that continued effective response is beyond the capabilities of the state and affected local governments and supplemental federal assistance is necessary to save lives and to protect property, public health and safety, and to lessen the effects of this serious situation."

These professional protesters fail to realize exiting the Union means the "federal money" no longer comes from D.C. It would come, or in this case not come from their new capital which is there current capital.

The Calexit people are fringe fools, and have little to do with the mythical paid protesters. For one thing, without the US backing of global intellectual property rights a huge part of California's economy would be crushed. Calexit suffers from the same general lack of appreciation for the status quo that almost all radical oversimplified solutions suffer from. Same with Brexit and the majority of what comes out of Trump's mouth.

Posted on: 2/14 11:05 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Pitt Hater
Quote:

Elbow_Jobertski wrote:
Quote:

DonKeebals wrote:

The Calexit people are fringe fools, and have little to do with the mythical paid protesters. For one thing, without the US backing of global intellectual property rights a huge part of California's economy would be crushed. Calexit suffers from the same general lack of appreciation for the status quo that almost all radical oversimplified solutions suffer from. Same with Brexit and the majority of what comes out of Trump's mouth.

Nice how you lumped in Calexit, Brexit and Trump together. Hmmm seems to me two of them had the majority or in one of those cases the majority of the Electoral College but, I get the picture. Anyone you do not agree with gets lumped together. That must mean they at bad.

Posted on: 2/14 1:19 pm

Pitt Hater
From Parkersburg,WV
Quote:

Elbow_Jobertski wrote:
Quote:

DonKeebals wrote:

Fringe fools? The California Secretary of State is onboard and the state's website had posted the petition. A recent poll shows 1/3 of the state supports it. That's 13 million people. Hardly sounds "fringe" to me. Definitely fools though.

https://www.google.com/amp/abc7news.co ... -from-us-picking-up-steam

Posted on: 2/14 1:42 pm

Pitt Hater
From Frederick, MD
Let them exit, but they have to buy their way out by paying off their portion of the $20 T national debt.

Posted on: 2/14 6:34 pm

Obama: We will put a man in your daughter's restroom.

Party Machine
From Chucktown
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:

Nice how you lumped in Calexit, Brexit and Trump together. Hmmm seems to me two of them had the majority or in one of those cases the majority of the Electoral College but, I get the picture. Anyone you do not agree with gets lumped together. That must mean they at bad.

They all present oversimplified solutions that ignore the value of the status quo. As such, yes, they are bad. Has nothing to do with political preference.

Posted on: 2/15 9:23 am

Pitt Hater
Quote:

Elbow_Jobertski wrote:
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:

They all present oversimplified solutions that ignore the value of the status quo. As such, yes, they are bad. Has nothing to do with political preference.

You missed my point entirely but, that's okay I wouldn't expect much else.
Back to your point, I completely disagree with you because oftentimes we (that is all of us) tend to think solutions have to be more complicated then they need to be.
What is wrong with calling a spade a spade and simply fix what is wrong.
I don't care what side of the isle you sit on, I think this is truer today than it has ever been, at least in my years on earth. My point can be seen in many places, especially when it comes to legislation. We have become slaves to this two-party system when one, two or several lawmakers cannot cross the isle to vote on something sensible.
Our system is broken and proof of that is our own inability to see the good or bad in our own political party.

Posted on: 2/15 12:31 pm

Party Machine
From Chucktown
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:

I don't care what side of the isle you sit on, I think this is truer today than it has ever been, at least in my years on earth. My point can be seen in many places, especially when it comes to legislation. We have become slaves to this two-party system when one, two or several lawmakers cannot cross the isle to vote on something sensible.
Our system is broken and proof of that is our own inability to see the good or bad in our own political party.

Yes, that is why a lot of ham-fisted solutions are proposed. Politicians are more beholden to the base than the county. Gerrymandering and party discipline are the main causes.

I think most people can see what is bad in their political party. The problem is that the present political atmosphere makes it not worth caring about. Politics ceases to be about actual life and more like a sporting event where questioning the party is more blasphemy and treason than a showing of principle.

This is more pronounced on the GOP side right now, and that is good and bad. The good is that this makes the GOP more effective as a political force as, unlike the Dems, there is a lot less bickering over nonsense. The bad is that it can take things to a dark place if the wrong people are driving the bus.

Posted on: 2/17 11:44 am

Pitt Hater
From Madhattan
Quote:

Elbow_Jobertski wrote:
Quote:

joedaddyski wrote:

Yes, that is why a lot of ham-fisted solutions are proposed. Politicians are more beholden to the base than the county. Gerrymandering and party discipline are the main causes.

I think most people can see what is bad in their political party. The problem is that the present political atmosphere makes it not worth caring about. Politics ceases to be about actual life and more like a sporting event where questioning the party is more blasphemy and treason than a showing of principle.

This is more pronounced on the GOP side right now, and that is good and bad. The good is that this makes the GOP more effective as a political force as, unlike the Dems, there is a lot less bickering over nonsense. The bad is that it can take things to a dark place if the wrong people are driving the bus.

DIng, ding. Thanks Mr Elbow-J Seems to me that you are simultaneously fighting the power & speaking reason to anyone who can stand such things.

Please keep going. -h

Posted on: 2/17 11:09 pm

Pitt Hater
From North Central, WV
Quote:
Politics ceases to be about actual life and more like a sporting event where questioning the party is more blasphemy and treason than a showing of principle.

I never heard it put that way before, but that is a very astute observation.

I like getting involved in politics at the local level, but most people in the county political parties are pretty much sold out to the party. It's at a sickening level. I want to be involved, but then I have to weigh out whether it's worth it to me to be saturated in such an environment.

Posted on: 2/28 3:39 pm

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved