We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22)

Re: WVU v Gonzaga Sweet 16 Official Game Thread
Here for the Beer
yeah Xavier winning definitely pours some salt in the wound.....IMO we would handle them no problem

But I think next year will be Huggins' best team talent-wise, just depends on the leadership and developing some reliable scorers.

Seeing Jevon in the post game...wow, that guy will be on a mission. He may be in the gym right now.

Next year, our depth will probably look like this (minus freshman):
PG: JC, Beetle
SG: Dax
SF: West
PF: Ahmad, Bender
C: Macon, Sags

And our recruiting class has some real potential....size, shooting, scoring. But I dont like to get ahead of myself with recruits until I see them in a WVU jersey

Posted on: 3/24 7:23 am
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Pitt Hater
From NJ
Scrappy team that laid an egg in that last possession last night.
Kudos to Gonzaga for getting only so flustered by the controlled mayhem that is HuggyBall.

Posted on: 3/24 7:30 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
From Lexington, KY (Hurricane, WV is home)
Proud of this team and it was a fun season to watch.

I was furious about the amount of time it took the refs to reverse the botched call. That was totally in Gonzaga's favor. It let them rest for the final few minutes. Some people might say "well, it let your team rest too!" but we don't need the rest. We thrive on the furious pace and controlled chaos. I think if that didn't happen, we win the game.

The last play was totally blown and makes me miss the clutch guys like De'Sean Butler. While we have great players, we just don't have that one go-to guy that we can put the game in his hands and know we have a great shot at winning. Maybe Carter will be that guy 100% next year...hope so.

Also, I'm not sure what time it was on the clock, but towards the end of the game, Phillip shot an off-balance 2 pointer and missed. I remember when that happened I was screaming "why would you take that shot????" It just seemed desperate and I felt like we could have waited for a much better shot. Maybe he was trying to draw a foul...not sure, but I thought that also contributed to the loss at the end.

Regardless...coulda, shoulda, woulda...Our players played hard and wanted it much more than any of us but came up short. The Zags played great defense and I hope they rot in hell. j/k. Very proud of this team and cant wait for next season.

Posted on: 3/24 8:24 am

Gettin' Schmitty
From ohio via Panther WV
I know the final sequence was **** but damn, the way Twitter piled on Javon was nuts. Without him WVU's no where near the sweet 16. I guess I'm talking out both sides of my mouth the way I piled on Howard but Carter gave all he had and no body else was wanting that last shot. I hate blaming the refs but damn. that was some class A crap Big 12 officiating.

Posted on: 3/24 8:52 am

I-79 Alumni

Here for the Beer
That was our biggest weakness this year. Not having "that guy" who can go and get a decent shot up.
First I thought it would be Ahmad, but he's not there yet offensively.
Then I thought Phillip, but he was too inconsistent. So it had to be Jevon.
The only problem was that we also needed Jevon to run the point. I think JC struggled to know when to take over, and when to try and get others involved. He also has to conserve energy, because btw he's also our best perimeter defender.

Dax is not a true PG, Phillips is not a true PG. If you noticed, Gonzaga was doing their best to deny the ball to Carter. They knew he was the engine of the team.

I was disappointed with how the team reacted to that. I think Phillip tried to step up, but he was trying too hard, and doing too much. No one else was willing to step up and be the one to take over.

On the last possession....Carter screwed up, but at that point he was on fire and he was our only hope. Everyone was just standing around waiting for him to make a play. They hung him out to dry on the final possession IMO....someone needed to spot up and get open, Gonzaga was solely focused on Jevon.

The toughest thing was that this should have been Jevon's coming out party for the nation. He was dominating that game for stretches, but literally NO ONE else could make a play.

Nate forgot how to hold onto the ball and Huggs said he has a shoulder injury that hurt his jumpshot, Phillip couldnt hit the broad side of a barn, West/Myers seemed like they werent ready for the moment, Dax is so up and down with his shot, Ahmad couldnt do anything besides hit a FT, Macon couldnt buy one........we needed one more person to step up.

Posted on: 3/24 8:55 am

Party Machine
From Northern WV
Quote:

southwvboy wrote:
I know the final sequence was **** but damn, the way Twitter piled on Javon was nuts. Without him WVU's no where near the sweet 16. I guess I'm talking out both sides of my mouth the way I piled on Howard but Carter gave all he had and no body else was wanting that last shot. I hate blaming the refs but damn. that was some class A crap Big 12 officiating.

Didn't realize this was happening. Sucks when people can't handle their emotions and do crap like that. It also shows a real lack of empathy (which could be a sign of something far worse). I think their toughness make people forget: At the end of the day these are still college kids. Cut them some slack.

Posted on: 3/24 10:08 am

Here for the Beer
From Wheeling WV
The real reason we lost was we didn't wear the gold Kobe 11's with gold socks

Posted on: 3/24 10:49 am

Grant Ave. Warrior
It's ridiculous to attack Carter. He is our best player by far and is a god damn legend. He's a star. Anyone attacking him is a **** cocksucker

Now, it's been said we will miss Adrian and Phillip...yes I think we miss Phillip a bit, but he can be replaced. Saying you miss Adrian is like saying you will miss Shell. Sure he is a starter but Shell killed the offense and we had 3 better RB. Addition by subtraction. I see the same with Nate. He tried hard and had a better year than anyone expected but he really isn't that good...bad shooter, poor passer, not good handling it...decent rebounder and has intangibles but I'll take talent over intangibles. We won't miss Adrian. We will be significantly better...better than 09/10, but that path will not be as easy as it was this year, which is why it hurts so bad

Posted on: 3/24 10:49 am

Pitt Hater
From Frederick, MD
For me this was one of the most amazing games I've ever seen in any sport on any level. It was an epic battle of will, fueled by almost nuclear energy and limitless effort by both teams. I don't think any one player on either team took even one second off while on the floor. Mark Few said after the game that his team had to dig deeper for a win than ever before.

JC was amazing. Dax's hustle was his best ever, he was everywhere. He was blowing Chris Webber's mind with the things he was doing on court. What an amazing athlete (foul shooting notwithstanding).

I wish we won and could advance. But even immediately after the game I was not the least bit upset with the outcome. I was too amazed with what I had just witnessed, the shear effort and emotion from both sides. Someone has to lose these games, but neither team deserved to lose this game.

It's not yet our turn to go all the way. I think we'll get there soon, but in the meantime I plan on enjoying the ride. These are truly the golden years of WVU bball.

Posted on: 3/24 11:47 am

Obama: We will put a man in your daughter's restroom.

Makin' it Rain
From Fairmont
Quote:

SchmittBreal wrote:
We might have the best team outside of Jerry West days in WVU history next year assuming everyone comes back. We will miss Adrian and Phillip, but I think we can fill those roles.

Huggins, " the final four team, had Butler a guy who could score and take the game over, we had Greg Jones the most decorated player since Rod Thorn, and we had Ebank who could guard anybody and currently is playing in Europe"

Let's play a few games next year. Before we crown them

Posted on: 3/24 1:12 pm

Gettin' Schmitty
From ohio via Panther WV
Ahmad is like the Truck of this team. He's got talent but does some of the dumbest crap at the most critical times. Twice last night if he just makes simple passes there's 4 more points for the good guys. But no, he has to try dumb ass behind the back passes that didn't end well. He did that all year. Him Chris Henry, Truck and Skyler have been the most frustrating WVU athletes of my lifetime.

Posted on: 3/24 2:50 pm

I-79 Alumni

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22)

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved