We Must Ignite This Couch Message Boards

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: This year and next
Party Machine
From Barboursville, WV
Quote:

jameschi wrote:

I like this combo offensively, but perimeter defense will be poor here. I like Bolden and West alot, but they are average at best defensively. From the get go with Carter and Miles as freshman you knew they were excellent defenders. Carter, Miles and Phillips are defense first then offense while both Bolden and West seem to be offense first then defense.

I guess bottom line is this is two years down the road and alot of things can change till then. I think everyone can agree next years team will be very strong. The key thing for Huggins is to make sure he has a guy to play the front of the press like Holton last year and Adrian this year. I'm not sold on West being that guy. Imagine if you had a guy like Devin Ebanks playing the front.

This is kind of eerie in they use almost those exact words to describe Culver...almost verbatim. Even the comparison to Ebanks.

Posted on: 4/9 1:51 pm
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Pitt Hater
From austin, tx
Quote:

jameschi wrote:
Well, it looks like Culver will make team, per Bob Huggins and DP. Huggins mentioned he was a little like Ebanks and could help play the front of press. This would really move team up to elite status, especially if Culver is the real deal. I think they key here is what Huggins said about Culver, "we'll see how hard he works".

Culver played in an all-star game a couple of days ago, so at least he's eligible to play in something:

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/article/20170408/GZ0203/170409537

Posted on: 4/9 2:59 pm

Re: Culver says academics are fine
WMITC
From Here
The Dominion Post

The biggest buzz WVU men’s basketball recruit Derek Culver made this season came away from the game.

The problem: There was nothing the 6-foot-10 forward from Warren, Ohio, could do about it.

On Jan. 20, just 14 games into his senior season at Warren G. Harding, Culver was removed from his high school team.

Warren G. Harding head coach Andy Vlajkovich only confirmed Culver — a national top 100 prospect and the 15th-best center in the class of 2017, according to ESPN — was out for the season, but never gave an explanation as to why.

It was always assumed Culver’s reason for the dismissal was because of academics, making his enrollment into WVU a question mark.

After scoring 11 points and adding 11 rebounds Saturday night during the Scott Brown Classic, in Beckley, Culver said there were personal issues he and his family had to deal with that took him away from the game.

“My academics are fine,” Culver said. “The reason I came off the team; it was my mom’s decision. Something personal was going on.

“Everybody thought it was my academics, but that wasn’t it at all. I played high school ball for three years and never had an academic problem.”

Culver insisted he would be in Morgantown in June and would be set to enroll in summer school before the start of the fall semester.

“As far as the [NCAA] Clearinghouse, everything is fine,” Culver said. “I’ll be in Morgantown in June. Everything is fine.”

Posted on: 4/10 8:36 am

Party Machine
From Dunedin FL
Quote:

LesterBoy wrote:
As shown here, WVU has 14 scholarship players (including incoming Allen, Knapper and Culver), but the NCAA limits the team to 13 scholarships. IF Culver gets his grades straight and is eligible, then when you look at the roster there are only two options for scholarships to chance. One is Maciej Bender, and the other is Chase Harler. Maybe Harler could go off scholarship and get the home-town discount, but I don't know how that would work. In any event, Culver cannot come in unless room is made for him. I would love for him to be on the team next season, but it does not look good.

Well then let's start a whole lot of speculation about this! Does it (the 13) include redshirts (could we redshirt a few)?

Posted on: 4/10 9:18 am

From Wilderness, VA via Hacker Valley, WV
Quote:

LesterBoy wrote:
As shown here, WVU has 14 scholarship players (including incoming Allen, Knapper and Culver), but the NCAA limits the team to 13 scholarships. IF Culver gets his grades straight and is eligible, then when you look at the roster there are only two options for scholarships to chance. One is Maciej Bender, and the other is Chase Harler. Maybe Harler could go off scholarship and get the home-town discount, but I don't know how that would work. In any event, Culver cannot come in unless room is made for him. I would love for him to be on the team next season, but it does not look good.

2 Jevon Carter G 6-2 200 JR Maywood, IL
3 James Bolden G 6-0 160 FR Covington, KY
4 Daxter Miles Jr. G 6-3 200 JR Baltimore, MD
14 Chase Harler G 6-3 200 FR Moundsville, WV
15 Lamont West F 6-8 215 FR Cincinnati, OH
21 Logan Routt F 6-11 250 FR Cameron, WV
23 Esa Ahmad F 6-8 225 SO Cleveland, OH
25 Maciej Bender F 6-10 240 FR Warsaw, Poland
45 Elijah Macon F 6-9 240 JR Columbus, OH
50 Sagaba Konate F 6-8 250 FR Bamako, Mali

Incoming:

Wesley Harris F Birmingham, AL 6'8" 200 2* SO
Teddy Allen F Omaha, NE 6'6" 222 3* FR
D'Angelo Hunter F Corsicana , TX 6'7" 184 3* JR
Derek Culver F Warren, OH 6'10" 230 4* FR
Brandon Knapper G Chatham, VA 6'0" 160 3* FR

Out of that pool, looks like Harris, Harler or Routt are on notice.

Posted on: 4/10 9:59 am

Talking about next year (2018)...man I can't wait to see this kid in gold and blue...

Posted on: 4/10 10:15 am

Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:

WVisHome wrote:
Quote:

LesterBoy wrote:

2 Jevon Carter G 6-2 200 JR Maywood, IL
3 James Bolden G 6-0 160 FR Covington, KY
4 Daxter Miles Jr. G 6-3 200 JR Baltimore, MD
14 Chase Harler G 6-3 200 FR Moundsville, WV
15 Lamont West F 6-8 215 FR Cincinnati, OH
21 Logan Routt F 6-11 250 FR Cameron, WV
23 Esa Ahmad F 6-8 225 SO Cleveland, OH
25 Maciej Bender F 6-10 240 FR Warsaw, Poland
45 Elijah Macon F 6-9 240 JR Columbus, OH
50 Sagaba Konate F 6-8 250 FR Bamako, Mali

Incoming:

Wesley Harris F Birmingham, AL 6'8" 200 2* SO
Teddy Allen F Omaha, NE 6'6" 222 3* FR
D'Angelo Hunter F Corsicana , TX 6'7" 184 3* JR
Derek Culver F Warren, OH 6'10" 230 4* FR
Brandon Knapper G Chatham, VA 6'0" 160 3* FR

Out of that pool, looks like Harris, Harler or Routt are on notice.

Take Harris off your shortlist. He is underrated because he didn't play this past season (and why he is only a sophomore). The kid had offers from Zona, UConn and Virginia Tech. He is a keeper.

Also Routt is a walk-on so he won't be effected.

I will be interested to see what happens if the entire class makes it. I cannot see Huggs telling Harler (or anyone else) to take a hike.

Posted on: 4/10 1:17 pm

Suspected Punter
TDP: Finally, how does next year’s recruiting class fit in with your returning guys?

BH: I think they’ll all play.

[D’Angelo Hunter] is long, but he’s got to get stronger. He shoots it pretty good and is pretty athletic. He gives us more length on the wing.

[Teddy Allen] is a scorer. He’s strong. He’s more physically ready. He and Brandon will both help us.

[Derek Culver] is physically not quite there, yet. He’s just 6-10 and long, but he needs to get stronger. We’ll see how hard he works.

It’s a good class. They’ve all got a chance to play. I told people last year that Sags was going to play and they all looked at me like they had never heard of him. He was pretty good.

The person he does not mention here is Harris.

Posted on: 4/10 1:32 pm

Makin' it Rain
From Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:

Balzac wrote:
TDP: Finally, how does next year’s recruiting class fit in with your returning guys?

BH: I think they’ll all play.

[D’Angelo Hunter] is long, but he’s got to get stronger. He shoots it pretty good and is pretty athletic. He gives us more length on the wing.

[Teddy Allen] is a scorer. He’s strong. He’s more physically ready. He and Brandon will both help us.

[Derek Culver] is physically not quite there, yet. He’s just 6-10 and long, but he needs to get stronger. We’ll see how hard he works.

It’s a good class. They’ve all got a chance to play. I told people last year that Sags was going to play and they all looked at me like they had never heard of him. He was pretty good.

The person he does not mention here is Harris.

That's nice. On the Statewide Sportsline last week, Huggins said:

"Wes is a phenomenal athlete. I hope he's half as good of a player as he is an athlete."

Posted on: 4/10 2:15 pm

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Anyway you cut it, its a good problem to have, basically the weakest one will be left out.

Posted on: 4/10 6:00 pm

Suspected Punter

Posted on: 4/13 6:14 pm

Makin' it Rain
From durham, nc

Posted on: 4/18 5:42 am

~Abraham Lincoln

Pitt Hater
From Halifax, VA
Unless you have had a torn rotor cuff, you have no idea how painful and limiting that injury can be.

Posted on: 4/18 8:32 am

WMITC
From Parkersburg, WV
That kid is tough as nails. That injury is ridiculously painful and limiting. I cannot fathom playing basketball with that injury. Just grabbing a large glass of water and drinking it hurts like a SOB with that injury. Holding your arm out to your side hurts like crazy. Wow!

The recovery after surgery is a bitch too.

Nate Adrian just made Chuck Norris do a double take.

Posted on: 4/18 9:45 am

Ingest Feces Pittsburgh!

Gettin' Schmitty
From Madison, AL
He sustained the injury while tangling arms with Texas forward Jarrett Allen during the Big 12 quarterfinals.

geesh I'll shut up.

Posted on: 4/18 10:10 am

Quote:

Proud2BanEer wrote:
He sustained the injury while tangling arms with Texas forward Jarrett Allen during the Big 12 quarterfinals.

geesh I'll shut up.

IIRC, that's when Allen hooked Nate's arm in his armpit going for a rebound and Nate got called for a foul.

Posted on: 4/18 11:12 am

Pitt Hater
From austin, tx
If he'd been full strength, WVU would have defeated Gonzaga.

Posted on: 4/18 11:32 am

Pitt Hater
From Frederick, MD
Quote:

WVisHome wrote:
Quote:

Proud2BanEer wrote:

geesh I'll shut up.

IIRC, that's when Allen hooked Nate's arm in his armpit going for a rebound and Nate got called for a foul.

Yep - I remember that and thinking it was a bad call. I don't remember Nate looking like he got hurt.

Kid id tough as nails. He will be missed next year.

Posted on: 4/18 11:35 am

Obama: We will put a man in your daughter's restroom.

Makin' it Rain
From new york, new york
Quote:

ncohen wrote:
If he'd been full strength, WVU would have defeated Gonzaga.

Yeah, I keep thinking that.

Posted on: 4/18 12:33 pm

Pitt Hater
From Richmond, Va
Sucks for Nate and explains a lot, the kid is tough to fight through that and considering it being his Sr season I can't blame him. Amazing he was able to get a double-double in the Bucknell game.

It must have really been bothering him against Gonzaga, he looked awful shooting the ball. Sucks to say it but if an injury is having that kind of affect on his shot maybe it was time to put someone in who could have been a scoring threat in a game that the team desperately needed one.

Never doubted his hustle and effort, sucks his career had to end injured. He endeared himself to the fans for 4 years and will be remembered as a true Mountaineer.

Posted on: 4/18 12:36 pm

RadioShark wrote:
This game has been so thisisridic!

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Copyright © 2004-2011 wemustignitethiscouch.com All Rights Reserved